PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Medic with wireless LAN

Composer
16-08-2004, 16:16
Hi everybody - first post on this forum.

Since about the time I installed Broadband Medic (I know, I know, bad move), my connections are sometimes fine, but mostly just grind to a complete halt. This appears to affect e-mail and pings, not just browsing; I have 2 PCs on a wireless LAN, both running Windows 98SE, only one of which had BBMedic installed; the other PC is fine.

The one contact with technical support, before I suspected BBMedic, led to a suggestion of an infamous "Winsock 2" problem, the solution to which involves a laborious process of removing and re-installing dial-up networking in order to restore TCP/IP. I am loathe to try this since there are a lot of steps, any of which going wrong will likely completely knacker my PC.

I have tried to remove BBMedic, but it shows all the signs of scumware and refuses to completely go away. Has anybody had similar problems? Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Neil
16-08-2004, 16:24
Hi & :welcome: to the site.

Have you tried removing all your wireless hardware, & just using the standard ntl equipment?

That is the 1st thing to try, as then you can prove to ntl that it is not your wireless causing the issue. ;)

Chris W
16-08-2004, 16:24
:welcome:

try uninstalling BBmedic to see if it cures the problem to get rid of it completely...

1. close BBmedic from the task bar
2. end all BBmedic processes from the task manager (NB MotiveSB is one of the folders)
3. uninstall BBmedic from the control panel
4. from the run dialogue type %temp% and then delete the ntl folder.
5. delete the motive folder from common files (or progam files i can't remember which)
6. then reboot just for good measure :)

Composer
16-08-2004, 16:34
Hi Guys

That's a big upheaval, different rooms, awkward wires and furniture etc, so this is a last resort. The WLAN has been running fine for quite a while, so I'd like to eliminate BBMedic first before entering knuckle-scraping mode, but I guess I'll have to bite this bullet at some point. I'll try the BBMedic removal instructions when I'm next at the afflicted PC.

Thanks for the swift replies :)

SMHarman
16-08-2004, 16:36
A very long CAT5 cable could do the same as moving the hardware, a little cost outlay, and very limited knuckle scraping.

Composer
16-08-2004, 16:49
Of course! Why didn't I think of that? I think we've got some spare at work...