PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic DNS behind a router?

The_real_dj
04-08-2003, 12:52
Are there any dynamic dns services that work with a router??

If im using dynadns or somthing like that i can guess it would try and set my IP to somthin like 192.168.10.1

Any help would be appricated!!

Cheers

DJ

philip.j.fry
04-08-2003, 13:56
I'm not entirely sure what you are after, but most routers offer a DHCP server to dynamically assign ip addresses to computers on the local network (i.e. your home machines). Alternatively you could turn this off and use a machine connected to he router running a dhcp server. both ways lead to th same result.

Your addresses would be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx, they could be different but this is the most common range. (class c network iirc)

altis
04-08-2003, 15:59
I think you are barking up the wrong tree there Philip.

Some routers, I'm not sure which ones, can automatically update a dynamic DNS service when they are connected to the net. This allows you to map a global domain name onto a local machine even though you might have a variable IP address.

According to the menu, my SMC router supports: DynDNS.org(Dynamic); DynDNS.org(Custom); TZO.com and dhs.org. I've never used it and I don't know about any other routers either.

willie
04-08-2003, 18:34
Most will work ok with a router all you will need to do is to configure the router correctly there should be a setting in the router config called DMZ you can set this so that the specific ip that was assigned by the router can be used by the dyydns service as an example setting .

use DMZ for ip address (this would be your ip address from isp) next you would enter the ip address assigned by the router. something like 192.168.0.222

philip.j.fry
04-08-2003, 19:30
Ooops yes sorry, serve me right for trying to reply when still half asleep. Configuring dyndns shouldn't be too much of a problem, you can try the dmz as junkie says, although wouldn't you need 2 ip's from the isp in order for this to work correctly? The other option is to use port forwarding to send all the traffic through to the correct port. There's probably software that gets the wan ip to update the dyndns entry around.

The_real_dj
04-08-2003, 20:30
thanks all!! i have setup the main pc ip address as the dmz and when i run dyndns it picks up the WAN ip!!!

I dont know why or how but it works!!!

Cheers!!

cjll3
04-08-2003, 22:14
You shouldn't need to put your computer into the DMZ unless you are running a client automatically on your computer.

If you use the manual account management system for dyndns it should detect you ntl IP address not the internal network address.

The_real_dj
04-08-2003, 22:21
mmm it still works out of the DMZ but now my remote desktop and ftp server work!!! so i will leave it in there!!

Lets hope my Norton Firewall can take the beating!! :D :D :D