PDA

View Full Version : Patio Doors

lemarsh
14-08-2004, 21:36
Anyone got any idea of roughly how much Patio Doors cost?

I am looking to buy a new property, and 1 I have seen has the reception room going straight into the conservatory, through a (approx) 2 meter gap, which has been created for the purpose.

For security, I would prefer to have a patio door there, but cannot seem to get any idea of the price. All normal sites ask for them to come around for a quote - but it's not my property to allow that! Additionally, if it costs to much money, then I probably could not afford it.

Only the doors and fittings are needed - i.e. no 'building work' - see below.

Download Failed (1)

Lee

Ramrod
14-08-2004, 21:52
Nice size....bit orange :D
Patio doors will come in all prices according to quality. That size would cost approx upwards of £1k here daaaan saaafff.
Personally, I would keep the area open and improve security at the perimiter.

Silent Wings
14-08-2004, 21:58
wow :cool: don't know if this helps, for some guide prices

http://www.thebbgroup.co.uk/doors/

MovedGoalPosts
14-08-2004, 22:13
It's not just security that's the issue, it's also your heating bills. A conservatory isn't a good insulant. Your living room could get rather cool in the winter if you can't seal the opening*. Alternatively make sure the radiators are big enough to cope with the load, and then watch out for your gas bill :Yikes:

Think in fact whether a patio door, which always obstructs one half of the full width opening is what you really want. An arrangement of french doors centred to the opening, hung on 180degree hinges, with fixed glass side screens might be better, or even an arrangement of folding doors that can be fully retracted.

As for cost estimates, take a quick measurement of height and width. Then take that to the local glazing firms. They should be able to give you a budget from that.

*edit: That there aren't any doors between the living room and conservatory, might contravene the original building regulations consent. It is very common for such doors to be removed after the consent has been issued and the building control officer has departed the scene, there being little in the building regulations for enforcement to ensure that things are kept the way that they were first built. If in doubt, when you get the property surveyed as part of a Homebuyer or full Building (Structural) survey - dont rely on the mortgage valuation unless you know a lot about buildings yourself so you know what its good and bad points are - ask the surveyor for specific advice on it.

trebor
14-08-2004, 23:39
single glazed wood will do if they are inside, so they are very cheap compared to double glazed upvc.

about £200 from b&q.
try a search for patio doors at diy.com

paul11974
14-08-2004, 23:41
get a dog

Mal
14-08-2004, 23:42
get a dog
Won't it have to be a very big dog to block the hole? ;)

Silent Wings
14-08-2004, 23:44
The decor alone should stop any intruders, for fear of being blinded :D

Nikko
14-08-2004, 23:56
The decor alone should stop any intruders, for fear of being blinded :D

The future is bright.....

paulyoung666
14-08-2004, 23:59
Anyone got any idea of roughly how much Patio Doors cost?

I am looking to buy a new property, and 1 I have seen has the reception room going straight into the conservatory, through a (approx) 2 meter gap, which has been created for the purpose.

For security, I would prefer to have a patio door there, but cannot seem to get any idea of the price. All normal sites ask for them to come around for a quote - but it's not my property to allow that! Additionally, if it costs to much money, then I probably could not afford it.

Only the doors and fittings are needed - i.e. no 'building work' - see below.

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/resources/chpk/chpk0094937/chpk0094937_large-2.jpg

Lee

if i may suggest , french doors would be a better choice :)

if you are capable of fitting them yourself , i reckon it wont be much of a job as the house appears to be of a good standard therefore everything should be square :erm: , i reckon you will be looking at around £500-£600 supply only :)

or .. instead of patio / french doors have you thought about some bi-fold doors that will almost dissappear when folded back out of the way :)

MovedGoalPosts
15-08-2004, 00:03
if i may suggest , french doors would be a better choice :)

if you are capable of fitting them yourself , i reckon it wont be much of a job as the house appears to be of a good standard therefore everything should be square :erm: , i reckon you will be looking at around £500-£600 supply only :)

or .. instead of patio / french doors have you thought about some bi-fold doors that will almost dissappear when folded back out of the way :)

Er apart from the money and DIY bit, isn't that just what I said above ;)

paulyoung666
15-08-2004, 00:27
Er apart from the money and DIY bit, isn't that just what I said above ;)

yep , too many :beer: ' s my mate :D :D :D

note to paul --- must read previous posts more carefully :erm: :rofl:

ian@huth
15-08-2004, 10:03
If you are thinking about fitting patio doors for security, remember that anyone who has already got into your property will not bother about what damage they do to internal doors and it is better to leave internal doors unlocked in case of having to quickly evacuate the building in case of fire. Single glazed doors may be cheaper but it is much easier to break single glazing than double glazing.

Fitting patio doors can help maintain the room temperatures but think about all that extra window cleaning and that track across the opening that you are going to trip over.

Wickes were doing 8ft double glazed PVCu doors for £349 delivered, but is the opening a standard width? If it isn't you will have to get any doors tailor made.

Flubflow
15-08-2004, 12:05
It might be a deterrant but if you are away and determined burglars get in via the conservatory undisturbed then nobody else outside is going to notice them once they are inside and breaking past sliding doors/french doors.