PDA

View Full Version : cannot renew ip address

magichands
14-08-2004, 14:13
hi, ever since i've had the modem the ip address has never changed, i need to change it because some idiot is sending packets to my address and slowing my connection,
ntl said they couldn't help except for me to fill in an abuse form,
i've tried turning the modem off for 24 hours, unplugging all cables, renew/release etc but still the same ip address even though it's supposed to be dynamic,
any help appreciated..

Chris W
14-08-2004, 14:17
:welcome: if you are using a network card, you can alter the mac address of it, and this will give you a new ip. When you do it, only change the last character of the mac address, and make sure you have the modem unplugged at the time. Then leave the CM off for about 1minute, reboot the pc and turn it back on and you will have a new ip.

Alternatively you can set it up on the USB connection, but i wouldn't recommend this. If you are on USB at the moment, switch to ethernet and this will improve your connection and give you a new ip address.

I don't really think that the individual ip address is the problem, unless someone has started a Ddos attack on you. What leads you to believe that this is the case?

MB

magichands
14-08-2004, 14:42
hi, thanks for that, currently using usb, i have another pc and a satellite reciever networked to my main pc, if i change to ethernet will i have to set up my network again?
whats the correct and easiest way to go from usb to ethernet?

Chris W
14-08-2004, 15:45
you will have to make some changes to the way your network is setup - ie tell internet connection sharing to share the ethernet connection instead of usb (i am assuming that you have an ethernet card available and installed in the main pc)

process is simple... shutdown pc and unplug power to the cable modem, connect the ethernet cable instead, when sync and rdy on the modem (or cable if it is a terayon/motorolla modem) are solid turn the pc back on... all done :)

Matth
14-08-2004, 16:51
Raise or lower your tariff for a month, that seems to be another thing which usually causes a change.

How are you networked? - you can't be using the same interface for everything, unless you have a router - and if you use a router, that normally has the capability to change the mac address.

If you share your connection using sharing SOFTWARE, it could be that which is coming under attack, hunting for open proxies to use for spamming - I'd strongly recommend upgrading to a router, rather than sharing from a PC, and turning off WAN side ping response on the router.

magichands
14-08-2004, 17:27
hi, i have built in network adapter on the motherboard,

i connect via usb to the modem,
i have a network hub connected to the main pc and the other pc and satellite reciver connceted to the hub..

nffc
14-08-2004, 18:51
How do you change a MAC address?

Dr Bot (UK)
14-08-2004, 19:01
To change the MAC Address....

Go to ...Start...Settings...Network Connections, select your LAN (http://www.warp2search.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3660#) icon and right click for properties.

Under the General Tab it will say...connect using...you should see you network card (http://www.warp2search.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3660#) there.

Click on Configure...then the Advanced tab.

Where it says Network Address enter this value... c0c1c3c5c7c9 click on OK and woohoo, you

now have a nice new MAC Address ;)

Enjoy !!
Dr Bot (UK)

Macca371
14-08-2004, 19:55
To change my IP, I left my STB unplugged for a week whilst I went on holiday. I came back to a new IP address.

Also, when I put the internet connection directly on my laptop instead of on my computer, my IP address usually changes.

Otherwise it is static.

magichands
15-08-2004, 22:39
hi, that worked changing to ethernet, only problem is i can't use the network unless i get another network card,
i changed back to usb 4 hours later and got the exact same ip address back i had which i was trying to change..

Stuartbe
15-08-2004, 22:43
hi, that worked changing to ethernet, only problem is i can't use the network unless i get another network card,
i changed back to usb 4 hours later and got the exact same ip address back i had which i was trying to change..

It is possible to change your mac address in windows so that it will force a new ip. What version of windows are you running ?

magichands
16-08-2004, 23:39
xp pro, but the network adapter is built into the motherboard, i tried inputting the mac address that monkey gave above (nice guy, more helpful than the telephone staff) but that didn't do anything.
i'll get a cheap network card if needbe..

Chris W
16-08-2004, 23:59
xp pro, but the network adapter is built into the motherboard, i tried inputting the mac address that monkey gave above (nice guy, more helpful than the telephone staff) but that didn't do anything.

monkey is telephone staff :p: A cheap network card will make the ip change. Strange that changing the mac of the onboard didn't make the ip change... what i suggested about changing the last digit of the cable modems mac is what the usb connect does... meh :shrug:

Tezcatlipoca
17-08-2004, 00:03

Yep, it may just be easier to get another network card, & it won't cost much. Plus, as monkeybreath said above, using ethernet to connect to the modem is better than using USB anyway.

magichands
20-10-2004, 18:31
Hi, i got it all sorted, i can jump between usb connection and ethernet and i usually get a different i.p address,
just one question, does ntl have 2 types of i.p.?
for instance if you type "my i.p" in google and go down the list you get 2 different i.p address's, one changes between ethernet and usb connection but the other one never changes whether i'm using ethernet or usb,
using aol for instance you get the same i.p going through the whole list.

hope that dosen't sound too complictated but just curious as to why one never changes..
just to add it's the long one that changes xxx.x.xxx.xxx but the shorter i.p xx.x.xx.x that stays the same if i use ethernet or usb

JohnHorb
20-10-2004, 18:44
Not quite sure if this is what you mean, but typing 'my ip' into Google givs a list of web sites which can report the IP if the user. The 'synopsis' provided by Google is generated by Google accessing the web site, and thus reports Google's own IP address. If you then click through to the site itself, you get 'your' IP address, but I'm not sure whether this is your own address or that of the NTL proxy server - it may even depend on the site you go to. If it's the address of the proxy, it probably won't change.