PDA

View Full Version : GCSE Thread

Macca371
14-08-2004, 01:07
For anybody expecting results on the 26th - anxious, or not bothered? How do you think you have done? What will you be doing next year?

It hit me today just how important this is. Until now, I haven't really been bothered, but now I am anxious. I'll be enroling (hopefully) on the 27th at Holy Cross College, Bury, and to do the five A-levels which I have asked for, I will need at least 10 A's at GCSE! :erm:

When I get my results, I'll post them here!c :)

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! :D

Paul
14-08-2004, 01:11
I can safely say it has been a number of years since I worried about exam results ;)

Good luck, I hope you do well and get what you want. :)

Macca371
14-08-2004, 01:14
I can safely say it has been a number of years since I worried about exam results ;)

Lucky you! :D

Good luck, I hope you do well and get what you want. :)

Thanks Paul!

neel2k
14-08-2004, 01:29
I'm getting my results on the 26th too. How come you need 10 A's? What do you want to do for A-Level?

Macca371
14-08-2004, 01:33
French, Spanish, Maths, Physics, Biology.

Doing three is average and recommended, four is for the brave and five is pushing it and is highly unrecommended. (That's what I've been told)

neel2k
14-08-2004, 01:39
Nice mix of subjects. I'm planning to do maths, further maths, physics and economics. Only one person I know is doing 5 but this Church of England school in my town offers 6 or 7 A -levels.

Macca371
14-08-2004, 01:46
Nice mix of subjects.
Wish I thought so too - unless you were being sarcastic lol. It's unlikely I'll ever get a job or degree which involves all these subjects, unless I'm an international molecular biologist or something.

I'm planning to do maths, further maths, physics and economics.
Nice. At my college, when you do further maths, you have to do the whole Maths A-level within one year. Sounded a bit too harsh for me.

Only one person I know is doing 5 but this Church of England school in my town offers 6 or 7 A -levels.

That's kinda crazy. If I do 5 A-levels, I'll occupy all lesson periods in the day and only have time for dinner. I don't know how people will be able to do 6 or 7...

neel2k
14-08-2004, 02:05
Wish I thought so too - unless you were being sarcastic lol. It's unlikely I'll ever get a job or degree which involves all these subjects, unless I'm an international molecular biologist or something.
Jobs are boring: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/3558688.stm

Nice. At my college, when you do further maths, you have to do the whole Maths A-level within one year. Sounded a bit too harsh for me.
We might do this, as there are only a maximum of 4 further maths students this upcomming year the teachers are leaving it upto us to decide how to do the course.

That's kinda crazy. If I do 5 A-levels, I'll occupy all lesson periods in the day and only have time for dinner. I don't know how people will be able to do 6 or 7...
Yea, the situation is the same at my school, if I do 5 I dont get any free periods. I was going to do history aswell but it's basically the same as what I've done for GCSE and some stuff on Russia, I'd rather learn about british history. At Kings school they have more periods in the day but they are 50 mins each and if you want do do Further maths you have to do it at lunch time so thats how they would fit it in.

Macca371
14-08-2004, 02:25
Jobs are boring: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/3558688.stm

Doesn't surprise me to be honest, a lot of jobs these days do look very monotonous, being stuffed in an office all day long, entering data, review statistics, etc... I'd hate a job like that.

We might do this, as there are only a maximum of 4 further maths students this upcomming year the teachers are leaving it upto us to decide how to do the course.

Cool. I suppose it can be a good idea in some cases, particularly if you are taking a lot of subjects onto A2, which is a great deal harder.

Yea, the situation is the same at my school, if I do 5 I dont get any free periods. I was going to do history aswell but it's basically the same as what I've done for GCSE and some stuff on Russia, I'd rather learn about british history. At Kings school they have more periods in the day but they are 50 mins each and if you want do do Further maths you have to do it at lunch time so thats how they would fit it in.

Wow that's very requiring, I couldn't do that. I need my break or else my brain feel as though it's turned to fudge.

About the history course, I have been studying British Socio-Economic History between 1750 and 1870 and I've found it to be the most boring course I've studied. When I took up GCSE History I presumed I'd be learning about the russian revolution and the world wars, unfortunately, I've been learning about public health and sanitation and women's rights. We should get to choose which History course we want, History is a broad subject, although of course that would probably require more teachers, etc...

greencreeper
14-08-2004, 03:45
I've never worried about exams, but I aways get in a right state over whether I have the right date, time and place. Have I forgot anything important, like a case study? I don't revise neither - it doesn't work for me. I've tried everything. If I don't know it, revising won't help. I don't do well in exams anyway, so revising would be tres pointless - exams aren't suited to my learning style. I'm glad I didn't have all the tests kids have these days - I've have been labelled a thicko and left to the remedial classes.

Good luck with the results!

Maggy
14-08-2004, 08:57
I'm biting my teeth over the results on the 26th.

No not just because of the students I know. :erm:

I have a vested interest this year because my little(little?'He's a foot taller than me) boy is awaiting his results and after the cr@p year 10 he had, I'm not sure how much he has pulled himself around to get the 4 C's he needs for college.He was predicted 4 B's but I'm still worried. :(

You know what smiley we are missing here.A praying one. :D

How about it Russ?

Macca371
14-08-2004, 17:07
I don't do well in exams anyway, so revising would be tres pointless - exams aren't suited to my learning style. I've have been labelled a thicko and left to the remedial classes.

Yeah it's a shame that after many years of studying and hard work, it all comes down to one exam in some cases. Many people aren't suited to this format and so many people have their intelligence underestimated, just because they aren't compatible with this form of assessment. People can be ill on the day, suffer from anxiety, or whatever, and they have a big disadvantage. This is why I enjoy coursework much more than exams.

I'm vulnerable to nerves and I only got 2 hours sleep before my spanish listening and my maths exams - this has no doubt affected my performance.

Good luck with the results!

Thanks. :D

I have a vested interest this year because my little(little?'He's a foot taller than me) boy is awaiting his results and after the cr@p year 10 he had, I'm not sure how much he has pulled himself around to get the 4 C's he needs for college.He was predicted 4 B's but I'm still worried.

I hope he does well incog. :)

Maggy
14-08-2004, 17:18
Yeah it's a shame that after many years of studying and hard work, it all comes down to one exam in some cases. Many people aren't suited to this format and so many people have their intelligence underestimated, just because they aren't compatible with this form of assessment. People can be ill on the day, suffer from anxiety, or whatever, and they have a big disadvantage. This is why I enjoy coursework much more than exams.

In my day it was the exams or nothing.No course work at all. :(

However with all the coursework I think that todays students have a harder time of things.

At least all I had to do was practice by doing essays and answering questions until I could remember the facts.Now they have to do that and coursework as well. :(

Macca371
14-08-2004, 17:24
However with all the coursework I think that todays students have a harder time of things.

At least all I had to do was practice by doing essays and answering questions until I could remember the facts.Now they have to do that and coursework as well. :(

True, I suppose it is harder, but the coursework system can offer peace of mind when in some cases you are guaranteed at least a C in a subject before you even enter an exam hall - because you have good coursework to back you up. Personally I think that the peace of mind is worth the hard work.

Gogogo
14-08-2004, 17:51
About the history course, I have been studying British Socio-Economic History between 1750 and 1870 and I've found it to be the most boring course I've studied. When I took up GCSE History I presumed I'd be learning about the russian revolution and the world wars, unfortunately, I've been learning about public health and sanitation and women's rights. We should get to choose which History course we want, History is a broad subject, although of course that would probably require more teachers, etc...

Just curious here, when I did GCE O' level British Social & Economic History was a very popular course. I'm curious to know why these days it seems unattractive. The course you wanted to do would be World Affairs. As a teacher myself I think I might suggest there may well be reasons why options were limited.

:cool:

Macca371
14-08-2004, 18:36
Just curious here, when I did GCE O' level British Social & Economic History was a very popular course. I'm curious to know why these days it seems unattractive. The course you wanted to do would be World Affairs. As a teacher myself I think I might suggest there may well be reasons why options were limited.

Yes many people do actually prefer this history course to what is now called the 'Modern World History' course, entailing everything of importance throughout the 20th Century. Don't get me wrong, there were enjoyable sections of the BSEH course, e.g. Jack the Ripper and Transport, but me and most of my friends seem to prefer the Modern World History course.

We learnt aspects of the MWH course in Year 9 and then did the British Socio-Economic History in Years 10 and 11. Presumably, in most schools, this is flipped around.

There are also some other exciting history courses for GCSE which I heard about, including ancient egypt and ancient rome, but few schools adopt them.

nffc
14-08-2004, 18:55
Yes many people do actually prefer this history course to what is now called the 'Modern World History' course, entailing everything of importance throughout the 20th Century. Don't get me wrong, there were enjoyable sections of the BSEH course, e.g. Jack the Ripper and Transport, but me and most of my friends seem to prefer the Modern World History course.

We learnt aspects of the MWH course in Year 9 and then did the British Socio-Economic History in Years 10 and 11. Presumably, in most schools, this is flipped around.

There are also some other exciting history courses for GCSE which I heard about, including ancient egypt and ancient rome, but few schools adopt them.
We did Modern in 9, 10, and 11, although that was a few yrs ago now.

Macca371
14-08-2004, 19:00
We did Modern in 9, 10, and 11, although that was a few yrs ago now.

I see... I must be wrong then.

nffc
14-08-2004, 20:05
I see... I must be wrong then.
No, it's probably a different syllabus.

Good luck with your results btw.

jtwn
14-08-2004, 20:26
Im not anxious about my results at all...im more anxious about changing to the college, only a few people from my village are going...and we have all been split up, so we all are going to somewhere where all the other grimsby schools kids who are going on to higher education (or is it further :S?) are going there..

/bites nails

Anyway, i think ive screwed up badly, now that i look back :( Time will tell.

Macca371
14-08-2004, 20:37
Good luck with your results btw.

Thanks.

Im not anxious about my results at all...im more anxious about changing to the college, only a few people from my village are going...and we have all been split up, so we all are going to somewhere where all the other grimsby schools kids who are going on to higher education
Don't worry, you'll make friends in no time.

Anyway, i think ive screwed up badly, now that i look back Time will tell.

All summer I've been nitpicking about all my exams - 'I should have wrote more there', 'That answer was definately wrong', etc... and my expectations of my grades have took a dive. But, true, only time will tell.

nffc
15-08-2004, 00:19
Im not anxious about my results at all...im more anxious about changing to the college, only a few people from my village are going...and we have all been split up, so we all are going to somewhere where all the other grimsby schools kids who are going on to higher education (or is it further :S?) are going there..

/bites nails

Anyway, i think ive screwed up badly, now that i look back :( Time will tell.
Going to uni is worse btw- but it's the same wherever, everyone's in the same boat and has to make friends so that shouldn't be much of a problem (and you get more mates in the long run).

greencreeper
15-08-2004, 00:33
The thing to remember with college is that everyone is there because they want to be there, and they're there to learn. The whole atmosphere and culture is different (and better) to school, where a significant proportion of the teenagers are waiting to be free of school so they can either embark on their criminal career, or develop a career in jobs such as supermarket stock replenishment :) You should love college - I know I did. It was great to be with people who wanted to learn, and it marked the end of a lifetime of bullying. Also, you'll find that you're expected to take more responsibility for your learning - part of the process of becoming the independant learner you need to be if you're going to go to Uni and do well.

You know you're old when you start passing on wisdom to the young un's :D

Maggy
15-08-2004, 00:38
There's many a seven,eight,nine year old passing on 'wisdom' to younger siblings right now.Hardly makes them old :)

After all when you are 10 anyone who is 20 is OLD.Thereafter it continues that old age is usually 10 to 20 years away from where you are age wise. ;)

greencreeper
15-08-2004, 00:46
There's many a seven,eight,nine year old passing on 'wisdom' to younger siblings right now.Hardly makes them old :)

After all when you are 10 anyone who is 20 is OLD.Thereafter it continues that old age is usually 10 to 20 years away from where you are age wise. ;)

Hmmm. I think I can convince myself of that :D

Kliro
15-08-2004, 23:16
I am also looking forward to my results on the 26th :erm: havn't really been thinking too much about them until recently, I'm hoping to do well, but can just imagine me opening my envelope to see I have done awfully, which would really suck as I would rather like to stay on with my freinds,

if my results are not so bad that I cry, I will post them here :)

Good luck to everyone else!

Electrolyte01
15-08-2004, 23:58
I'm NOT looking foward to my results, I think I have done badly. Any one who has done better than me, weldone :)

Kliro
16-08-2004, 00:11
I think I spent too much time on the 'educational' computer

Electrolyte01
16-08-2004, 00:12
I think I spent too much time on the 'educational' computer
Same here :erm:

Tezcatlipoca
16-08-2004, 00:22
It's nearly ten years since I received my GCSE results :erm:

Good luck to all of you awaiting results :)

nffc
16-08-2004, 01:23
It's nearly ten years since I received my GCSE results :erm:

Good luck to all of you awaiting results :)
Can't believe it's 4 since mine- did maybe a tad better in some subjects than I thought, and a tad worse in others (still managed 10 As/A*s though).

Good luck to everyone doing them though...

Macca371
16-08-2004, 01:37
I did my French GCSE in Year 9 and got A* so that's one out of the way.
Here are my expected grades:

Spanish: A*
Science: A* A* (counts as two)
Maths: A
English Lang:A
English Lit: A
History: A
Geography: A
IT: A
RE: A

I don't think it will turn out like this - on some of my exams I didn't get much sleep so I think I did very bad.

greencreeper
16-08-2004, 01:54
It took me four attempts to pass maths - got a grade C eventually :( I keep saying I'll retake it - see what grade I would get these days. My first year at Uni I had to do maths and stats (which I like) - never used any of what I learnt, but that's how Uni works :)

snodvan
16-08-2004, 09:30
I just looked at my certificates - dated 1959! "O" level in those days rather than GCSE. Then 2 years slog to A levels in 1961 followed by 2 years for HND (plus further maths) and then a part time degree. That is the HARD way. All a 'million' years ago. I am retired now after 38 years with the same company but run my own Sole Trader consultancy business.

My son is waiting for AS level results (19th) but with scant hope of any merit. May just squeeze through enough to justify the next year but even the message from the school at the end of last term was not to expect much. Daft really. He is perfectly capable but idle and too easily distracted :td: .

Maggy
16-08-2004, 10:41
Anyway even if you have done badly it is NOT the END OF THE WORLD.

If you are planning on going to college and your results are poor TALK to them as soon as you get your results.They will help you to sort out where you should go from there.You maybe able to take them again or they may accept a lower grade(provided it's not too poor).

just DON'T PANIC. You can always get to your goal but you may just have to go in a different direction for a while.

IN fact some folk who have had to do so have had a much happier path in life.

There's many a university student who having failed to get the grades for the course they wanted having made an alternative choice of a different course who have been very happy with the change. :tu:

I say all this with the thought in my mind of the number of cases of young people who having got themselves into a truly depressive state over perfectly good pass marks and have attempted or committed suicide. :(

To avoid this there are plenty of people both in school and at college or careers information services(connexions) who will be more than happy to help
you overcome any problems.

So I'm sure everything will be well for you BUT if it doesn't go as planned please make sure to get as much help as you can from everyone. :tu:

Chris
16-08-2004, 11:07
About the history course, I have been studying British Socio-Economic History between 1750 and 1870 and I've found it to be the most boring course I've studied.

You want to try doing it at A level. :zzz:

Our A-level history syllabus was, fortunately, split in two, so we did a chunk of British economic history (hour-long sessions of the teacher reciting statistics we were supposed to jot down in our notes, he being too lazy to run off a few photocopies), and a chunk of military and political intrigue in continental Europe, which was brilliant - we did Sweden, France and a bit of Russia. The teacher for this half of it was a lot more adept at making his subject interesting, but then he did have an advantage: Louis XIV was a certifiable nutcase.

Nugget
16-08-2004, 11:17
Anyway even if you have done badly it is NOT the END OF THE WORLD.

Well said Coggy - even though it's been 13 years :shocked: since I did my GCSE's, it's important that people remember that exams aren't the be all and end all. I did reasonably well in my GCSEs, but basically gave up with my A levels and, whereas I didn't actually fail all 4, I may as well have done.

However, even though I didn't get to do the course I wanted at university, I went through clearing and got a place on a HND and passed that instead. 9 years down the line, I've got a job I enjoy (finally!) and I believe that I've accomplished quite a lot.

Just remember that, even if the 'worst' does happen, there's always options out there for you :tu:

jtwn
16-08-2004, 11:35
I do find it quite disturbing how people can be so emotional about their results that they can go and top themselves..

If i do badly, i know who ill blame, the cableforum :p:

Honestly though, the computer is my downfall, times when i could of been revising i never had the determination too :(

Maybe getting below average results will shock me into getting on with it...

Macca371
16-08-2004, 19:26
Honestly though, the computer is my downfall, times when i could of been revising i never had the determination too :(

Exactly the same here, I'm addicted to it. I'm not even happy when I'm on here, so I don't know why - but I have definately lost hours and hours of revision due to being on here - aswell as losing social skills, etc... If I ever have kids, I'll restrict their access to the computer to one hour per night at most. It's a lethal thing. lol

Macca371
17-08-2004, 22:15
Aaaaarggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.somethingdecent.com/results.htm

Macca371
25-08-2004, 14:02
TOMORROW PEOPLE!

http://www.somethingdecent.com/results.htm

Nemesis
25-08-2004, 14:07
Good Luck to you all, I hope you get what your looking for ....

Electrolyte01
25-08-2004, 14:11
I'm really not looking foward to collecting them tomorow :(

Chris
25-08-2004, 14:12
I'm really not looking foward to collecting them tomorow :(

Why? Did you not feel good about your exam performance?

If you revised properly and got all your coursework in on time, you ought to be OK. What grades were you predicted after your mocks?

Macca371
25-08-2004, 14:16
Me neither electro.

Damien
25-08-2004, 14:17
My results (two years ago now) where quite bad, in the sense that they where really really crap. Titanic style.

French: A (thats the good one...)

History: D
Science: D
ICT: F
English: E
Tech: U
Maths: U

Good Eh? :D

I had to get to my course of choice (AVCE ICT) by taking a intermedate course first. Did GNVQ Science instead of ICT as i figured it would help iimprove my science grade and i also retook my gcse english/maths:

GNVQ Science: Merit
English: D
Maths: D

As usually it was my exams which let me down, I do very well on coursework but crash and burn in the exams. Either way i got into ICT A levels (dispite the F at gcse) and I got one a level at the end of this year and one at the end of next year. I am also retaking GCSE English with the result tommorow.

My A level grade was B, But as usual i missed out on the A because of my exams. Here is a breakdown of the unit results

Coursework one: B
Coursework two: A
Coursework three: A
Coursework four: A
Exam one: C
Exam two: D :(

So I like the coursework system as i am awful at exams, a issue i better address this year as i do my secound year of ICT and retake maths

At the end of thhe day no matter what you get tommorow (and lets face it my results where AWFUL :) ) you can allways get where you want, it justs takes a extra year

Electrolyte01
25-08-2004, 14:18
Why? Did you not feel good about your exam performance?

If you revised properly and got all your coursework in on time, you ought to be OK. What grades were you predicted after your mocks?2 D's in double science, PASS in GNVQ ICT, D in english, D in maths and the rest around E's.

EDIT: That's what i've been predicted. I need 2 D's to get into college, which I think science will help me there (I'm good at science)

eerrrr
25-08-2004, 14:20
That countdown site is actually quite scary to watch...
Heh, I'm going to a party tonight to forget about it. Hope I don't oversleep and miss my results, have to get them by 1.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Ramrod
25-08-2004, 14:30
If you revised properly and got all your coursework in on time, you ought to be OK. What are you?.....Some kind of saint?... these are students were talking about here....... :D

Electrolyte01
25-08-2004, 14:31
What are you?.....Some kind of saint?... these are students were talking about here....... :D
I guess you did the same thing :rolleyes:

Damien
25-08-2004, 14:32
what re-vision? some sort of eye diease?

Ramrod
25-08-2004, 14:53
I guess you did the same thing :rolleyes:Nope........pretty much did all revision as a last resort.......crash revised hours before in some cases :D
Still......1 cse, 9 'O'levels, 5 'A' levels and a BSc to show for it :D

edit.......I am very glad I dont have to go through all that ever again. :erm: I feel for you guy/gals who are awaiting your results :(

Chris
25-08-2004, 15:01
What are you?.....Some kind of saint?...

:angel:

Some kind, yes ... :D ...

these are students were talking about here....... :D

... but not that kind. I was hopeless at revision, although I never missed a coursework deadline.

I got 9 GCSEs (I was in only the second school year ever to do them, although our school took part in the joint GCE/CSE '16+' pilot exam that ran for a while before that) 3 A levels (although I sat 4 :( ) and a BA hons in Archaeology.

Ramrod
25-08-2004, 15:06
3 A levels (although I sat 4 :( Me too, I forgot, I sat maths A level but failed it :dunce: ....and thats one I tried hard for as well :rolleyes: :D

Macca371
25-08-2004, 15:08
Yes, they say Maths/Further Maths are the hardest A-levels to do.

If you decide to opt for the 'Further Maths' course, you have to do the whole A-level in one year instead of the usual two.

The Hardest A-Level Courses are as follows (in order of most difficult) Futher Maths, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography, Economics, Biology...

Electrolyte01
25-08-2004, 15:13
I'm hopeless at revision, but I always got my coursework on in-time.

Macca371
25-08-2004, 15:17
I'm hopeless at revision, but I always got my coursework on in-time.

Same here.

Ramrod
25-08-2004, 15:47
The Hardest A-Level Courses are as follows (in order of most difficult) Futher Maths, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography, Economics, Biology...Got the chemistry, physics and biology :D....maths would have been nice :dunce:

greencreeper
25-08-2004, 15:57
It seems a lot more complicated than in my day - you either did A-level or BTEC Business, or if you were thick or a chav and had failed your maths and english GCSEs, you did a DVE as a base course for retaking the GCSEs. I ended up on the DVE because I'd failed my maths and I didn't want to do the BTEC and my teachers told me I wasn't good enough to do A-level (they were sort of right).

I'm sure everyone will do alright in 18 hours and 30 minutes time :)

Macca371
25-08-2004, 16:05
I'm scared about my maths at the moment, I only got a couple of hours sleep before both of the exams and on the higher paper you cannot get below a B or else you get U (fail).
I was predicted A and even got A* in one of the mock exams but all it takes is bad luck. Especially when so much importance is stressed on this one subject, most employees require a pass in Maths and English to accept you.

greencreeper
25-08-2004, 16:18
I'm scared about my maths at the moment, I only got a couple of hours sleep before both of the exams and on the higher paper you cannot get below a B unless you get U (fail).
I was predicted A and even got A* in one of the mock exams but all it takes is bad luck. Especially when so much importance is stressed on this one subject, most employees require a pass in Maths and English to accept you.

It's easy to say but try not to worry - the die is cast and there's nothing you can do now. Worrying won't help :) Chill!

Electrolyte01
25-08-2004, 16:19
Worrying won't help :) Chill!
That's easy for you to say :erm:

Macca371
25-08-2004, 16:21
The things which usually chill me out is a cheap java version of pacman and some music. Neither are working! :(

greencreeper
25-08-2004, 16:27
That's easy for you to say :erm:

I know, but I'm an old fart and a veteran of lots of exams, including one where in high winds the windows banged approximately once every 10 seconds or so. I've developed coping mechanisms and I'm at the stage where I'm chilled about the outcome of events. I believe in Fate :)

You'll do alright.

Nugget
25-08-2004, 16:36
During my Physics GCSE (yeah, I know, yonks ago :D ), we had a fire alarm in the middle of the exam, and had to evacuate the building - as a result, we all lost about 30 minutes of the time we had to complete the whole thing.

When I got my results, I got a D in Physics, so I thought I would re-take it in the following November. What did I get? Yep, another D - just goes to show that there's nothing you can do about some things.

I hope that everyone who's waiting for their results gets that they expected (or better in some cases ;) ).

GOOD LUCK ALL

Macca371
25-08-2004, 16:37
ty nugget :)

Electrolyte01
25-08-2004, 16:49
Same :p:

Ramrod
25-08-2004, 16:50
I'm scared about my maths at the moment, I only got a couple of hours sleep before both of the exams and on the higher paper you cannot get below a B or else you get U (fail).Bluddy 'ell! :shocked: :nworthy:

Macca371
25-08-2004, 16:52
Bluddy 'ell! :shocked: :nworthy:

Tell me about it :rolleyes:. T'is scandalous!

Electrolyte01
25-08-2004, 16:53
I didn't get much sleep for my English one. It was FAR TOO HOT, so hot I got a migrain and couldn't do my english paper 3. So I bet I have failed that one now (yes I had a drink, but I drank it within the first 20 minutes)

So this is what I'm not looking foward to :(

Macca371
25-08-2004, 16:57
I didn't get much sleep for my English one. It was FAR TOO HOT, so hot I got a migrain and couldn't do my english paper 3. So I bet I have failed that one now (yes I had a drink, but I drank it within the first 20 minutes)

So this is what I'm not looking foward to :(

English has a lot of coursework as a high percentage (well it is on AQA anyway) of the marks, aswell as quite a lot of papers. If you did alright on the coursework and on your other exams, you should easily pass.

Maggy
26-08-2004, 07:54
RESULTS DAY!

And a fine and sunny morning it is too.Tsk,tsk never start a sentence with and.Bad teacher!!! :shocking: I'm up(since 6 am) and his lordship is snoring away in his pit.

Something wrong in this scenario I think! :D

Perhaps he has done well,perhaps he did revise without me being around in study leave to cattle prod him.

I guess it is too early for a G&T. ;)

Anyway Good Luck to you all this morning.Hope you get the results you need.

Incog.

Macca371
26-08-2004, 08:18
Thanks, although I feel physically sick :( :sick:

I woke up at 4am after a nightmare in which my results never came - t'was horrible. Never got back to sleep.

I keep getting random episodes of running around the house in excitement, which tends to wind my parents up, and my dog.

Going to school at 10am so I'll post results ASAP! :)

And, to no suprise, the headlines are stating that top grades are meaning less and less and that more people are getting them. Just what you need on a day like this :(

Maggy
26-08-2004, 08:25
:hugs:

Macca371
26-08-2004, 08:27
ty incog

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 08:29
Thanks, although I feel physically sick :( :sick:
I feel just like that aswell :(

Got to go to my school at 10AM, so I'll post my results too :)

Nugget
26-08-2004, 08:34
Good luck to you two specifically, and everybody else who gets their results today. Just relax, you'll be fine :tu: :)

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 09:42
I'm shivering because I'm so nervous about all this :(

TheBlueRaja
26-08-2004, 09:51
Just thought i'd drop in and say good luck peeps - i hope you all do well.

Halcyon
26-08-2004, 10:25
Good luck to everyone!
And remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel whatever your results are.
Have a good day!

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 10:42
Here are my results:

Science: Double Award D-D

English E
English Literature E

Business Studies E

Maths E

R.E F

IT:

Unit Y203P INT ICT UN03 60/100 (C, Merit)
Unit Y206P INT ICT UN06 53/100 (D, Pass)
Unit Y207P INT ICT UN07 53/100 (D, Pass)

Didn't do too well, but my science and IT results are much better than I thought they would be (at least I'm into college with them results :D )

dilli-theclaw
26-08-2004, 10:43
Here are my results:

Science: Double Award D-D

English E
English Literature E

Business Studies E

Maths E

R.E F

IT:

Unit Y203P INT ICT UN03 60/100 (C, Merit)
Unit Y206P INT ICT UN06 53/100 (D, Pass)
Unit Y207P INT ICT UN07 53/100 (D, Pass)

Didn't do too well, but my science and IT results are much better than I thought they would be (at least I'm into college with them results :D )
I'm glad you made it into college ok :)

greencreeper
26-08-2004, 10:46
<snip>

Well you're into college, that's the main thing. Well done! :tu:

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 10:49
Forgot to add on my college course results (which was 3 hours a week, since I had Technology and French removed)

Developing Self and Working Safely with Others = Pass
Automative Vehicle Body Repair = Pass
Remove and Replace Automotive Vehicle components = Pass

Can't go any higher than Pass btw, and this was working on cars :p:

EDIT: Added something else I missed out

Macca371
26-08-2004, 11:12
Well done electrolyte :tu:

OK got my results! Here goes:

Science (double award): 2 X A*
English: A
English Literature: A
ICT: C
Geograph: A*

plus my French in Year 9 in which I got A*

makes

5A*, 5A and a C.

I'm soooo chuffed :)

bigitup_j
26-08-2004, 11:13
no fair, i have to wait till 12noon for me to get my results!!
more nerve-racking than anything ever in my life... :Yikes:

dilli-theclaw
26-08-2004, 11:15
Well done electrolyte :tu:

OK got my results! Here goes:

Science (double award): 2 X A*
English: A
English Literature: A
ICT: C
Geograph: A*

plus my French in Year 9 in which I got A*

makes

5A*, 5A and a C.

I'm soooo chuffed :)
Well done indeed :)

bigitup_j
26-08-2004, 11:16
and well done, macca371 and electrolyte!
lucky, you had double-science...i had triple-science. in other words, 3 gcses cramed into the period of doing 2gcses!
not fair, and i was bloody hard!! :(

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 11:18
We only had single or double science, never heard of triple science before!

I'm VERY chuffed at my ICT result, I thought I was going to fail it :erm:

bigitup_j
26-08-2004, 11:20
well, maybe triple was called single...
in fact, your right it was single science. which is all three sciences, giving me 3 gcses (an extra 6 modules and extra 3 final exams! :td: )
(oh dear, i don't know what subjects i've done now! lol)
:D

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 11:20
well, maybe triple was called single...
in fact, your right it was single science.
(oh dear, i don't know what subjects i've done now! lol)
Don't worry, I couldn't remember what I had when I was talking to my parents :erm:

Nugget
26-08-2004, 11:42
:tu: :tu:

Well done, Macca and Electrolyte - see, it wasn't that bad, was it?

Congratulations to the two of you, and I'm glad to hear that you've got what you needed for college and all that :) :)

Kliro
26-08-2004, 11:58
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
English - A*
English lit - A
French - B
Geography - A
Maths - B
Religion - A*
ICT - c ( I have no idea what happened here)

neel2k
26-08-2004, 12:04
History - A*
English - B
English Lit - C
French - C
Business - A*
Maths - A
RE - C
Science - A*A*
Sociology - A
Statistics - A
DT Resistant Materials Short Course - D
ICT Short Course - C

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 12:07
I think I did crap :(

dilli-theclaw
26-08-2004, 12:07
Congratulations to everybody :) - you're all cool :)

Nugget
26-08-2004, 12:08
Well done guys - looks like we've got a clever bunch of guys and gals on here!

Just one question neel2k - how the hell did you find the time to do 13 GCSEs :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Nugget
26-08-2004, 12:09

You didn't do crap - you got the grades that you needed to get onto your college course, so surely that's something to celebrate :tu:

Kliro
26-08-2004, 12:10

You passed, and can go to college, you'll see in a bit that alls it is, is a mark and it doesnt really matter.

Macca371
26-08-2004, 12:12
Yes, not to worry, electrolyte. It's the A-levels, NVQs and BTECs that count, really.

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 12:13
Well the 2 courses I'm doing at college are:

GNVQ ICT Intermediate, then
AVCE ICT

So I'm going to be at college for about 2-3 years :)

bigitup_j
26-08-2004, 12:52
me happy! :D
Art - C
ICT - B
English - A
English Lit - A
Maths - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Religious Studies - A
PE - C
French - B
History - A

i will get in my college! :)

well done everyone

Macca371
26-08-2004, 12:55
Holy cow, 12 subjects!? Very well done :D :tu:

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 13:04
I was going to say, that had to be hard :erm:

gary_580
26-08-2004, 13:25
I remember when i did O Levels that it was exceptional to do 7 and most people only did 4, you needed 4 O Level passes to be able to A Levels. How things have changed.

bigitup_j
26-08-2004, 13:45
I was going to say, that had to be hard :erm:
it was horrible...and i'm glad it's over :sleep:

Maggy
26-08-2004, 14:16
Well considering the little twerp has only worked his socks off since last Sepember I guess the results are better than we could have hoped.

He got.

English B
Eng lit B
Double Science B
History B
Maths C
French D
IT D(very disappointing but considering his last report gave him a G I suppose that is an improvement)
Electronic Products E
Art D

Download Failed (1)

Anyway he got more than the 4 C's required for college so he is happy.

So he is happy,I'm amazed and his sister will be miffed 'cos he has slightly better grades than she got.

Download Failed (1)

Incog.Insert heart bursting with pride smiley here

Download Failed (1) Download Failed (1)

OH and very well done to everyone else!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jarandco
26-08-2004, 15:40
I got - 1A* 7 A's 1 B and 2 C's! :D

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 16:01
Now I feel like an idiot :erm:

Nugget
26-08-2004, 16:14

Don't be soft, you daft sod ;) - as I said earlier on, you've got the grades that you needed to get on your college course, so why feel an idiot?

No-one here's going to judge you on your results - if that was all it went on, my A-levels would have cast me down into the pit of morons a long time ago!

Damien
26-08-2004, 16:18
my A-levels would have cast me down into the pit of morons a long time ago!
There is still room for one more down here....;)

Nemesis
If that was all it went on, my A-levels would have cast me down into the pit of morons a long time ago!
Mine too ..... was useless at A levels, never went to Uni or College .... ended up doing a Clait course at an iTec.

Been doing well ever since. Don't feel like an idiot, there's so much out there, and so many choices for you to make in the future. Go to College and enjoy yourself :D

Chris

Now don't feel like that. You're going to college, you finally know what real exams are like, you're older and wiser already.

I did well at GCSE but for me it was the A levels that tripped me up(insufficient revision in my case, naughty me). I failed one of them (History) with a grade 'N', the cruelest invetion known to man, because it means, Nearly passed, but Not quite, you Numpty.

I still managed to get into university and come out the other end with a degree in Archaeology.

Nugget
26-08-2004, 16:22
Now don't feel like that. You're going to college, you finally know what real exams are like, you're older and wiser already.

I did well at GCSE but for me it was the A levels that tripped me up(insufficient revision in my case, naughty me). I failed one of them (History) with a grade 'N', the cruelest invetion known to man, because it means, Nearly passed, but Not quite, you Numpty.

I still managed to get into university and come out the other end with a degree in Archaeology.

I did exactly the same - not only did a get an N at Sociology, but I got a U in French :D

I still managed to wangle my way to college and came out with an HND, and now I'm doing alright for myself - it's what you make of it that counts :tu:

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 16:25
I just wish I could do better, E in Maths won't be very good when it comes to computing :(

Nemesis
26-08-2004, 16:28
....erm where does calculus, trig, quadratic equations etc etc feature in computing ???

Nugget
26-08-2004, 16:30
....erm where does calculus, trig, quadratic equations etc etc feature in computing ???

Well, I s'pose you could use a computer to find a dictionary to make sure that you spell all those hard words right ;)

Halcyon
26-08-2004, 16:37
Unless you are going into coding and programming, mathematics will not be needed 100%.
There are so many branches of I.T. you can go into from multimedia to product design, to programming, to analysis, to software diagnostics, graphics, video and sound, etc.

Dont feel like an idiot becuase frankly I believe that no one on earth is an idiot. They dont exist. Well Ok they do, but thats just people who were put on earth to make your life hell and that is not you.
Everyone is inteligent in their own way and everyone contributes to the world in some way so everyone, wether they have a million degrees or certificates, or not, will have knowledge of something and its that which counts.

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 16:41
Well i was thinking of just getting a job building computers (or working in a computer shop) but i'm not totally sure on a computer career yet. I'm much better with computer hardware than software, so I was thinking of a hardware engineer.

Any overs I could go for? :)

And thanks for putting me up, I'm happier now (also because I just got my GMail account :D )

Kliro
26-08-2004, 17:23
Be an NTL techie :)

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 17:31
Be an NTL techie :)
Are you mad? :erm:

orangebird
26-08-2004, 17:31
Well i was thinking of just getting a job building computers (or working in a computer shop) but i'm not totally sure on a computer career yet. I'm much better with computer hardware than software, so I was thinking of a hardware engineer.

Any overs I could go for? :)

And thanks for putting me up, I'm happier now (also because I just got my GMail account :D )

You achieved what you needed to - enough grades to get to college. From now on, your GCSE results don't matter any more. Just work hard on your chosen college courses, and you'll do fab :D

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 17:32
I'm going to work as hard as I can, because I'll be getting £20 a week and £100 bonuses from just working at college :D

(At least I can get a VERY good computer with it :p: )

Damien
26-08-2004, 17:39
i like left wing goverments. FREE MONEY

Kliro
26-08-2004, 17:42
Well rack yourself up £542 I saw in the paper a Dell 2600 with a P4 2.8ghz 512 ram and a 15" tft not a bad price for a nice machine!

Chris
26-08-2004, 17:42
i like left wing goverments. FREE MONEY

I hate inept Governments. Desperate to bribe teenagers to stay in school and disguise their cock-up of an education policy. :rolleyes: ;) :D

But let's not go off topic. :)

Electrolyte01
26-08-2004, 17:43
Well rack yourself up £542 I saw in the paper a Dell 2600 with a P4 2.8ghz 512 ram and a 15" tft not a bad price for a nice machine!
Already have a Duron 1.8ghz 512 RAM 15" CRT ;)

Now I'll be back later, time for a meal :D

bigitup_j
26-08-2004, 17:45
i don't mind the bribing!! i'll get my ema, so i like our government (for a moment...oh no, stopped liking them now)

Mr_love_monkey
26-08-2004, 17:47
Well done everyone.... must have been nerve racking for you all....

Electronic Products

What's that?

eerrrr
26-08-2004, 17:55
Weehee;

English Lit. - A*
French - A*
Science (Double Award) - A*+A*
Maths - A
Music - A
Drama - B
English - B
History - B
Resistant Materials - B

I'm pretty happy about those. Was hoping for an A* in Maths and Music, but oh well.
The party was good too, however I did go a little overboard and ended up throwing up twice. :P

Maggy
26-08-2004, 17:57
Well done everyone.... must have been nerve racking for you all....

What's that?

Making circuit boards and little gizmo's like alarm clocks with said circuits.

Mr_love_monkey
26-08-2004, 18:01
The party was good too, however I did go a little overboard and ended up throwing up twice. :P

Yeah, too much Jelly and Ice cream does that to me too.... you can't be talking about anything else, you're only 16 :)

Cool... We didn't get to do stuff like that when I was at school - we did some of that for my university degree - at one point we built an RTL NOT gate, and a square wave form generator - though I have no idea what for....

Sad thing was they expected us already to know all about circuit boards and so on...

Maggy
26-08-2004, 18:23
OK! Pep talk for Electrolyte.

How about this?

Einstein had the most awful school reports.He was considered a dunce by all his teachers.What he actually was,was a late bloomer.

There are many,many roads to reach many,many goals.Some roads that may suit one will NOT suit another.If you find your way barred in one direction look around to find another path.

So if your preferred choices don't work out your way then a change of dreams may be necessary.So what!Everyone is entitled to a change of mind and heart and dreams.I wanted to be a librarian,a scientist,an artist as a child.I never wanted to be a teacher.However as I got older I changed my mind.

Take my sister.She left 6th form without taking any A-levels.She went to work for local government.Eventually she ended up as manager of a very male orientated paper mill.Later she became an office manager for a solicitors office.Now she works as an accountant after intensive retraining at 50 and her maths skills were nothing special at school.It's a pity she still thinks she has been a failure now she is 60 because she didn't get her A-levels and go to university,because by my reckoning she was no failure at all.

These days there are as many choices of qualifications to suit all kinds of people and their differing needs.Why this blasted government seem to think that A-levels and University is the only path to measure success beats me.They do not push the other choices and paths of further education hard enough.We need as many plumbers,plasterers,motor mechanics,engineers,and other hands on professions as we do doctors,dentists,researchers and teachers.

Also you have openly admitted you didn't work as hard as you should have.Now you have a chance to redress that.It is your chance to be a late bloomer.

You have got the agreed GCSE's to go to college.You have the chance to prove to yourself that you have the ability to realise your dreams.

GO FOR IT!

Damien
26-08-2004, 18:47
Got ANOTHER D for GCSE English, Boy! i no not know hows i not pass english.

greencreeper
26-08-2004, 22:50

I did that in, erm, crumbs what did they call it now? Craft, Design and Technology I think it was. I've still got the little circuit board I made - attach a 9v battery and this LED lights up.

Well done all. Only another 6+ years to go and you'll have a degree :D

MadGamer
28-08-2004, 23:27
Well considering i was only practicing for the science that i took and it was a mock i got an F. I took my actual GCSE for ICT and got an F but i get another go at that next year as i have only covered one year of the work.

iFrankie
27-08-2009, 18:12
Ill revive this thread what GCSE's did you get when you was in school? id rather not say myself lol

Chris
27-08-2009, 18:19
I bet you didn't get an A in English. Lol.

Pia
27-08-2009, 18:35
I got 6 C's, 2 D's and a few lower grades.

Worst was U in music co i didn't show up for it :rofl:

Druchii
27-08-2009, 19:51
12 Passes A-C.

Fair smattering of A's including English Language/Literature.
Loads of B's.
2 C's in ICT... Oddly.

iFrankie
27-08-2009, 19:55
I bet you didn't get an A in English. Lol.

haha obviously :P if i could go back to school i would of done things differently

Ignitionnet
27-08-2009, 19:59
Question - how are students finding the time to do 12, 13 or 14 GCSEs?

I studied for 9 in the early 90s and that was full time, 9am - 4pm + 2 hours / night of homework...

EDIT: I've suspicions I'm interested in seeing responses though!

Tezcatlipoca
27-08-2009, 20:06
Ill revive this thread what GCSE's did you get when you was in school? id rather not say myself lol

Back in 1994...

Balanced Science - A
Balanced Science - A
Mathematics - A
History - A
English Language - B
English Literature - B
French - B
German - C
CDT - D

I was actually quite proud & surprised to receive a "D" for CDT, given that I absolutely hated the subject & put pretty much no effort into it at all. The only reason I took it was because we were forced to take a "creative" subject, & I detested CDT marginally less than I detested Art, Drama, & Music.

For my CDT project, which made up the coursework part of the mark, I chose to make a joystick/mouse switcher for my Amiga... it consisted of a bundle of wires superglued to the back of a cereal box...

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:02 ----------

I studied for 9 in the early 90s and that was full time, 9am - 4pm + 2 hours / night of homework...

Ditto.

I did GCSEs from 1992 to 1994, & studied nine subjects. I don't believe anyone in my year studied more than 9.

When I did A Levels from 1994 to 1996, I studied three subjects (well, 3.5 if you count the rather pointless AS in General Studies we were all forced to take). The most anyone in my year studied was 4 subjects, if they took Further Maths.

Druchii
27-08-2009, 20:08
Question - how are students finding the time to do 12, 13 or 14 GCSEs?

EDIT: I've suspicions I'm interested in seeing responses though!
The amount of bloody homework we got was annoying, though i suspect it might be because the teachers we have in the top accelerated groups were seriously awesome. Never had such a good Chem teacher before or since.

Of course i could just say "Ur dum, OlololoLOLOLO!!!11!" ;)

Halcyon
27-08-2009, 20:32
Congratulations to everyone who got their results today. :cleader:

Ignitionnet
27-08-2009, 20:42
The amount of bloody homework we got was annoying, though i suspect it might be because the teachers we have in the top accelerated groups were seriously awesome. Never had such a good Chem teacher before or since.

Of course i could just say "Ur dum, OlololoLOLOLO!!!11!" ;)

As I mentioned I got 2 hours per night, and my school had slightly longer hours than most schools. I'm just interested in how students these days appear to be able to study so much more.

Regarding homework, etc, all of us were in that 'accelerated' group you mentioned due to the type of school it was.

I'll be upfront. I think a lot of students are coached to pass the exams rather than the content of the subjects, this persists through A Level and is borne out by the experience of universities having to do 'remedial' classes on students or lower the quality of content of their courses. As students are being coached in the exam rather than the subject and schools appear to pick the easiest exam board they can find it results in students needing less tuition as they are being taught the questions in the exam and nothing else, therefore students can cram more subjects in. Less time on each subject, more subjects to fill out the hours of the week.

Dissenting views welcome but it sadly reminds me a lot of many other courses academic and vocational, totally cheapened by the attitude of passing them at all costs rather than actually getting students to understand the subjects they are allegedly being taught and be able to go forward with that knowledge and apply it in later life, be it in academia or vocation.

EDIT: I should mention that I think this approach only fails the students - they get these wonderful grades and think they mean something but thanks to how they were taught to get them they are generally not, which is a shame. Seems a bit of a waste of 2 years to be honest.

Druchii
27-08-2009, 21:19
GCSE's are worthless to me at the moment, i essentially walk into interviews as "Unqualified".
Weirdly it doesn't seem to matter most of the time though.

I think i was coached to pass exams tbh, i can't remember much if anything at all about some of my subjects that i passed with A's and B's.

scrotnig
27-08-2009, 21:54
I have long believed that forcing kids to do the "unpaid overtime" of homework is wrong and counterproductive. If I had kids I'd make sure they were at a school that didn't set any (these do actually exist).

How many of us, as adults, would accept being set two, three or even four hours' unpaid work to do at home after a full day in the office? Not many I'd wager1 Yet we wonder why teenagers, whose minds are keen to explore the world and develop social skills and relationship, resent being cooped up all the time working.

My school, when I was 14/15/16, expected up to four hours per night, and then about six hours over the weekend as well. They also set "holiday homework" to be done in the school holidays! FFS give kids a break. There's more to life than schoolwork.

The whole thing did me no good anyway and I flunked the lot. It put me off education for life and I have never been able to return to any kind of study.

Druchii
27-08-2009, 22:33
Holiday projects and homework did my head in, amongst them a 50-page History assignment!

dcclanuk
27-08-2009, 22:54
In June 2004 I sat my GCSE's.

Got 5A*'s and 6A's.

A*'s in: Maths, Statistics, Science (Double Award) & History.
A's in: English Literature, English Language, French, Business Studies (Double Award) & Graphics.

I thought the GCSE's in MY time should have been a bit harder. If they are even easier now compared to 2004, then they are clearly too easy.

A-Levels also need to be made MUCH harder, as they in NO way prepare you for university.

Ignitionnet
01-09-2009, 19:37
You're not kidding.

Mrs Broadbandings is going to University in September as a mature student, and received this message over the Internets:

Heya!

U alrite? Woz jus lukin at members who are also guna b goin TVU and fort wud add ya :]

Peter_
01-09-2009, 19:39
You're not kidding.

Mrs Broadbandings is going to University in September as a mature student, and received this message over the Internets:
Does it make you feel old seeing that:D:D:D

Tezcatlipoca
01-09-2009, 19:40
It makes me fear for the future.

Ignitionnet
01-09-2009, 21:17
Does it make you feel old seeing that:D:D:D

When my daughter is going to Uni then I'll consider feeling old :)

If my daughter even considers writing like that when she goes to Uni she gets remedial classes in English from a junior school - if the level of literacy fits..

Hugh
01-09-2009, 22:08
When my daughter is going to Uni then I'll consider feeling old :)

If my daughter even considers writing like that when she goes to Uni she gets remedial classes in English from a junior school - if the level of literacy fits..
You are forgetting the Marshall McLuhan saying - "the medium is the message". ;)

They are using the idiom of the medium - you will probably find that their normal everyday use of English in essays, etc is completely different (I know my 21 year old graduate daughter's is, as is that of my 17 year old son, who is just about to start 2nd year of A levels).

nffc
01-09-2009, 23:30
You're not kidding.

What language was that?

Maggy
02-09-2009, 02:10
What language was that?

Teenspeak!!

Look folks just because all those youngsters out there appear to speak their own language doesn't mean they cannot communicate in received pronunciation if and when required..especially when qualifications and money to be earned.

Just remember opposing political parties always drag out the old chestnut of poor literacy each year because it's a way to score political points against the government.Labour will be claiming the same position on the high horse when they lose the next election and the Tories do no better at raising literacy.:rolleyes:

Also every generation has it's 'teenspeak' because each generation is seeking to be different to their parents.;)

Ignitionnet
02-09-2009, 09:43
Teenspeak!!

Look folks just because all those youngsters out there appear to speak their own language doesn't mean they cannot communicate in received pronunciation if and when required..especially when qualifications and money to be earned.

Just remember opposing political parties always drag out the old chestnut of poor literacy each year because it's a way to score political points against the government.Labour will be claiming the same position on the high horse when they lose the next election and the Tories do no better at raising literacy.:rolleyes:

Also every generation has it's 'teenspeak' because each generation is seeking to be different to their parents.;)

Having seen copious amounts of pseudo-teenspeak in cases where money needs to be earned we'll agree to disagree. I'm sure if one spoonfeeds the morons who write like this the answers enough they can write in something like English on the test papers and walk away with their As to Cs though. The younger generation in my family who write this nonsense seem unable to reach a reasonable standard when it does matter though, while those who do not write in this manner on Facebook, etc, I've seen can write well in more official circumstances.

I should mention that I have no evidence that the person who wrote that is a moron beyond that they are writing like a moron. Sending a message like the above to someone you've never met before tends to give a fairly moronic impression, if not on English skills then at least on social ones.

You mention money needing to be earned, etc. Given that it appears fairly simple to have someone write your CV for you and get you through to the interview stage with jobs I'm not convinced even that is needed, the downside is you then get employers complaining about the standard of literacy and communication skills of the people they interview because they gave the interview based on the CV writer's skills not the candidate who can barely string two words together.

Still on the upside their IT skills seem reasonable (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6954666.stm) even if they can't type a coherent sentence or do basic maths - or is this the CBI scoring political points too?

I also must have missed that 'teenspeak' phase, how boring am I. In this case though the above reads more like the dialect of 'chavspeak' where the mobile phone and the SMS character restriction played a larger role in the development of English 'skills' than the educational system.

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

You are forgetting the Marshall McLuhan saying - "the medium is the message". ;)

They are using the idiom of the medium - you will probably find that their normal everyday use of English in essays, etc is completely different (I know my 21 year old graduate daughter's is, as is that of my 17 year old son, who is just about to start 2nd year of A levels).

Which is good - I'm not going to tar all with the same brush but in my experience when someone writes in that horrid nonsense above in 'social' situations they appear to struggle to get out of the habit in professional ones. Holds true for my family and for a number of people.

One amusing instance is the BBC's 'Have Your Say' comment boards on GCSE and A Level results. As you can imagine quite a hostile board to students for whatever reason so they'd be extra careful what they were writing for this cantankerous group of old farts who are putting down their achievements. Instead virtually every comment from those who had just done the exams complaining that they weren't easier, we were putting them down, etc, was riddled with spelling and grammatical errors. Amusingly the comments I read from teens that were well written were almost all complaining about how simple the exams were and how they felt they had been devalued.

Go figure.

mikegreen
11-09-2009, 12:59
Go figure.

I like totally agree with u on dis 1.
It's a rite shame wen dem peeple karnt xpress dem selfs propurley. Innit!