PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Phone Spam

PC_Arcade
12-08-2004, 20:12
I've just had a call from a compay claiming to be www.youwonaprize.co.uk (IIRC, the website doesn't exist in order to check). The call was a recorded message, BUT because they had called me, I couldn't just hang up on then as everytime I picked up the phone, they were still connected :mad:

Has anyone else had these calls or know who is behind them?

clupet
12-08-2004, 20:16
Yes I used to get these calls every Sunday, even pulled the plug out of the wall but that voice was still on the line. I dont know who was behind them but after the first few I felt the amount of sales calls i recieved increased incredibly. I ended up getting a bar on witheld numbers on my phone and it has made a huge difference.

PC_Arcade
12-08-2004, 20:20
Funnily enough they didn't withold their number (09065175616) but if you call it you get a prerecorded message but 09065 numbers are charged at £1.50 per minute (!) so I didn't listen to it

paulyoung666
12-08-2004, 20:51
this (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/) may be of some use , it seems to have worked for me :tu:

Maggy
12-08-2004, 21:16
Paul beat me to it.It's been wonderful since I signed up to TPS.If someone phones and I tell I'm with TPS they can't get off the phone fast enough. ;)

Got rid of all the power utilities constanly phoning up. :mad:

paulyoung666
12-08-2004, 22:05
Paul beat me to it.It's been wonderful since I signed up to TPS.If someone phones and I tell I'm with TPS they can't get off the phone fast enough. ;)

Got rid of all the power utilities constanly phoning up. :mad:

:PP: :PP: :PP: , sorry miss i dont have to do lines do i :( :D :D :D

Dave Stones
12-08-2004, 22:08
i used the TPS for my mobile. both our landlines here are ex-directory, havent had any calls at all like that ever. good thing i think :)

Gareth
13-08-2004, 12:05
I'm signing-up with TPS once we've changed our number - we moved house recently and NTL tried being helpful and transferred our old number to our new address. Unfortunately, however, the old number received an excessive amount of phone spam and debt collection agencies looking for a previous tennant :eek:

I've heard that if companies call you when you're on TPS, they are liable for a £5K fine - anyone know if this is true?

poolking
13-08-2004, 12:37
I've just had a call from a compay claiming to be www.youwonaprize.co.uk (http://www.youwonaprize.co.uk/) (IIRC, the website doesn't exist in order to check). The call was a recorded message, BUT because they had called me, I couldn't just hang up on then as everytime I picked up the phone, they were still connected :mad:

Has anyone else had these calls or know who is behind them?
You will have to let the message play itself out before they disconnect, I have had these messages on my answer machine.

Flubflow
13-08-2004, 12:41
I'm signing-up with TPS once we've changed our number - we moved house recently and NTL tried being helpful and transferred our old number to our new address. Unfortunately, however, the old number received an excessive amount of phone spam and debt collection agencies looking for a previous tennant :eek:

I've heard that if companies call you when you're on TPS, they are liable for a £5K fine - anyone know if this is true?

They updated the legislation last year but there seems to be little in the way of information on the details of penalties and offences on the TPS website.

I found that it only works for the the larger companies who use the TPS database and keep it updated regularly.
It doesn't stop the little companies who do it the old way by simply working their way manually through the telephone directory and don't cross reference to a TPS database.
We have two phone lines in the house under different initials so when we get a telesales call on one phone then I can guarantee that 5 or 10 minutes later the other phone will ring with the same telesales person. Very annoying.
TPS does stop the majority though and well worth registering.

PC_Arcade
13-08-2004, 15:16
I'm already with tps, which is why these calls annoy me so much :(

The problem with the pre-recorded ones though is that
a) you can't just tell them to sod off and
b) you can't hang up on them because it'll still be there when you pick up :(