PDA

View Full Version : Kelly ::: Impressed!!!

andrew_wallasey
12-08-2004, 11:44
NTL came out to install phone, tv and broadband in the house I am currently staying in down in Bromley last week. The guy worked for kelly.

It was just a one man guy as the house had previously had cable but had been taken out at sometime. So obviously he could not do the cable pull to the CAB so he phoned his manager, and said look I have got another job but I will be back in an hour.

An hour later he pulled up and started doing the installation. About 15 minutes later his manager pulled up and did the pull with him and gave me a shinny samsung box for the hastle.

Never heard of a manager coming out to do the pull before, lol.

gary_580
12-08-2004, 11:54
Maybe thats why things go wrong. Managers should manager, not do the job!

Paul K
12-08-2004, 12:29
Maybe thats why things go wrong. Managers should manager, not do the job!
I agree with you to a point on that and yes often that's where things go wrong (when people have to start covering jobs that they shouldn't be doing) but at least the manager went out and helped to get the install job done on time and didn't just fob the customer off with an excuse and different installation date :)

gary_580
12-08-2004, 13:19
I agree with you to a point on that and yes often that's where things go wrong (when people have to start covering jobs that they shouldn't be doing) but at least the manager went out and helped to get the install job done on time and didn't just fob the customer off with an excuse and different installation date :)

Yes i agree it got this job done on time etc but what we dont know is what impact this caused by the manager not managing and doing the job instead. IMHO a manager is paid because they can make processes and other people more efficient and as a result make the company more organised and therfore more profitable as opposed to doing any "real" work. By "real" work i mean work that touches the end customer.

andrew_wallasey
12-08-2004, 14:32
Yer but if he had not done that it would not have been installed on time and then I would have been unhappy and would have to have taken a day off work.

zovat
12-08-2004, 14:44
:clap:

sounds like a manager who is willing to solve the problem, rather than upset the customer and make NTL look bad...

Ok- he should be managing, but he was probably still available by mobile, and I'm sure it will not cause him to be unable to complete his work.

as far as I can see this is a definate :tu: to NTL.

Paul K
12-08-2004, 15:14
:clap:

sounds like a manager who is willing to solve the problem, rather than upset the customer and make NTL look bad...

Ok- he should be managing, but he was probably still available by mobile, and I'm sure it will not cause him to be unable to complete his work.

as far as I can see this is a definate :tu: to NTL.
It wasn't NTL ;) It was a sub contractor whose manager decided that the job should be done even if it meant him getting his hands dirty too :)

andrew_wallasey
13-08-2004, 10:20
Yer exactly - he was still getting calls every 3 seconds on his mobile.

He might have worked for NTL but im not sure he had an NTL shirt (white shirt with ntl logo) but I think he just worked for Kelly.

Shep
19-08-2004, 07:55
happens all over the country my man, generally the tech's in-house and contractors will try to get the problem solved on the day of install, if at all possible. And yes the tech supervisors get their hands dirty regularly, they have targets to meet remember.

P

andrew_wallasey
24-08-2004, 09:12
I don't think it's anything to be scowled at thought it certainly impressed me.