PDA

View Full Version : Caller ID

DeadKenny
03-08-2003, 01:06
Any idea if NTL have improved caller ID/display support recently?

i.e. have they actually got it working at last in Woking?

On the original nthellworld site, before NTL bought it out, I recall there was a list being built up of areas that have it and those that don't. Does that list still exist and is it updated?

I'll give NTL a call (though it makes me sick to even consider the pain I'll go through trying to call them), but I generally find they haven't a clue so just say it's not available, so what I really want to know is whether it really is available (or not).

A couple of expensive phones sitting here waiting for caller ID, bought specifically for the caller ID support, with no warning that they wouldn't work (NTL had even advertised it in leaflets at one point, and the adverts in Argos where I got them made no mention that they might not work) :mad:

Martin
03-08-2003, 13:42
I wouldn't hold too much hope with Caller ID, it seems to be one of those back burner idea's they haven't got round to fixing yet. I would like to see it one day, I live in hopes anyway.

I have NTL branded phones that support caller ID too. ROFL

BTW in Manchester North and no caller ID.

Stuart W
04-08-2003, 09:52
FYI, existing customer is a very loose term ;)

You can call them and say "I wanna come back to BT, I had a BT line ages ago at a different address" and that's good enough.

BT are sensible enough to know that:-
Customer + Happy = Long term revenue.
Unlike ntl who think that customers arn't tech enough to understand billing.

grum1978
04-08-2003, 10:06
Originally posted by Stuart W
FYI, existing customer is a very loose term ;)

You can call them and say "I wanna come back to BT, I had a BT line ages ago at a different address" and that's good enough.

BT are sensible enough to know that:-
Customer + Happy = Long term revenue.
Unlike ntl who think that customers arn't tech enough to understand billing.

when did ntl say that abt billing :confused:

ntluser
05-08-2003, 10:07
Originally posted by Andre
Why not just port your number over to BT 'Kenny'?

At least you know you can have caller ID from them, and if you are a former customer (which I presume you are) then you will probably be offered free connection to go back. ;)

Doesn't that mean that Kenny becomes a BT customer and then has to pay the going BT rate for his line on top of his NTL charges?

Is there no way that NTL and BT can find a technical solution, which allows NTL customers to access BT's free services?

DeadKenny
05-08-2003, 22:29
Why not just port your number over to BT 'Kenny'?

At least you know you can have caller ID from them, and if you are a former customer (which I presume you are) then you will probably be offered free connection to go back. ;)

It's been very tempting to do just that I can tell you, though I was never a BT customer at my current or previous address, it's a long time ago now since I was with BT.

On and off I have considered going to BT for the phone and it's only been the cable modem that's stopped me (no TV any more, got Sky thanks to NTL ****ing me off with their TV).

Going for ADSL means loss of certain features and the hassle of getting a BT line tested (and it's a dodgy old overhead street cable), and it used to be that I would have to ditch NTL completely and apply for BT only to find I can't have ADSL so I wasn't going to risk it, but I can apparently just keep the cable modem now. I have many reasons to ditch the cable modem (a very long story I won't go into but to say the least NTL ****ed me off big time), but I have certain reasons to keep the cable modem too (especially now the damn thing is working at long last).

However, I shouldn't need to go to BT to get Caller ID. I've told NTL's "customer care" about this during a bit of a rant about certain hassles a while back but they seemed not to care, even considering they sent leaflets out which gave the impression it was an available service (big bold announcement saying "now available in your area", though there may have been small print but that's not the point, it should have been "maybe available, we haven't a clue" in bold).

:shrug:

tomw
06-08-2003, 21:48
Phoned up CS the other day and still no plans to get it into the Stockport area

DeadKenny
06-08-2003, 23:22
You do know you don't have to get rid of you cable modem and get ADSL don't you?

Yes, hence I said...

"but I can apparently just keep the cable modem now"

;)

It's the hassle of getting a BT installer round (and they will have to come round as it's way over 3 years since the BT line was active. I know from past experience that they insist on coming round and it was in fact that very reason that sent me to NTL, or then CableTel, in the first place as BT quoted 3 weeks for connection when I moved into a house!, so I went for CableTel instead - big mistake :().