PDA

View Full Version : when i got bb i understood that..

darkangel
02-08-2003, 19:44
when i got bb i understood that being an ex c&w area i had to have a stb but i was at a friend of my wifes today they live a few miles away and have a standalone modem?

Dupre
02-08-2003, 19:59
i have standalone too and im ex C+W, whereas my neighbour has STB, go figure... i also still have "analog" cable tv, because apparently we cant get digital, when my neighbour can...

Pritch
02-08-2003, 20:36
When broadband was launched in the ex-CWC areas about two years ago, broadband through the STB was the only option. It wasn't until a fair while afterwards that standalone modems became available, the problem being that previously NTL were using modems that would only work on one half of the network. The little grey things (can't remember the name - I'm ill, OK?) were the first type of modem that would handle both US and Euro-DOCSIS, and hence can be deployed anywhere on the network.

homealone
02-08-2003, 21:32
Originally posted by Pritch
When broadband was launched in the ex-CWC areas about two years ago, broadband through the STB was the only option. It wasn't until a fair while afterwards that standalone modems became available, the problem being that previously NTL were using modems that would only work on one half of the network. The little grey things (can't remember the name - I'm ill, OK?) were the first type of modem that would handle both US and Euro-DOCSIS, and hence can be deployed anywhere on the network.

Is it the ex CWC stb's that have a 256kbs upstream compared to the sacm's 128bs? (Ambit Home 100/120 btw :) )

Is it the revenge of the seafood still?

Gaz

Pritch
02-08-2003, 21:47
Taking your questions in order:

1. Don't know. My TV and broadband bluffing skills don't go that far, that bit about the US and Euro-DOCSIS was something I remembered from way back.
2. Yes.

homealone
02-08-2003, 22:15
Originally posted by Pritch
Taking your questions in order:

1. Don't know. My TV and broadband bluffing skills don't go that far, that bit about the US and Euro-DOCSIS was something I remembered from way back.
2. Yes.

1. np

2. Lucozade Sport is the new chicken soup. - imo.

3. If you can face it Chicken Noodle Soup is a good next step.

4. You may wanna change your location - you could start an epidemic!;) :D

<edit>

sorry darkangel, suddenly realised I'd hijacked your thread, somewhat.

my question re the alleged superior upload link was for your input also?

Gaz

BBKing
03-08-2003, 10:38
STB 150k is actually 256k *download*.

BB in CWC areas was an extension of the existing STB system, hence STB only. When the time came to do standalones the decision was taken to use the original ntl system alongside the STB one. This took a while to get right, and is rather difficult to maintain, but it *works*, which was the point.

STB launched June 2001 - about mid 2002
SACM launched October/November 2002.

homealone
03-08-2003, 10:50
Originally posted by BBKing
STB 150k is actually 256k *download*.

BB in CWC areas was an extension of the existing STB system, hence STB only. When the time came to do standalones the decision was taken to use the original ntl system alongside the STB one. This took a while to get right, and is rather difficult to maintain, but it *works*, which was the point.

STB launched June 2001 - about mid 2002
SACM launched October/November 2002.

Thanks for that BB:)