PDA

View Full Version : Lip Biopsy

Tricky
10-08-2004, 10:56
Ever had one?
Does it hurt?
How deep are your salivar glands in your lip? (which is apparently what they're after!)

I've got one tomorrow!!! :(

Nugget
10-08-2004, 11:02
I've never had one on my lip, but I had one on my arm about 18 months ago - I'd guess that it shouldn't hurt as they surely have to give at least a local anaesthetic?

Ramrod
10-08-2004, 11:09
:confused: You don't have salivary glands in your lips
edit--good luck with it anyway :)

Tricky
10-08-2004, 11:15

So what is the sublingual gland in your picture? because the 3 on there are where I was told I had them. 1 in each cheek (behave!), 2 under the jaw and 2 in the lower lip.

Mr_love_monkey
10-08-2004, 11:18
This is what it says on JRA World

Lip Biopsy

What is it?

The removal of salivary glands from the lower lip for analysis.

What is the purpose?

To confirm the diagnosis of Sjogren's Syndrome.

Is there any special preparation?

There is no special preparation.

How is it done?

You sit in a dental type chair. A local anesthesia is injected into your lower lip. the doctor cuts into the inner part of the lip and removes several salivary glands. The glands are then sent to the lab for analysis.

What happens afterwards?

Follow any instructions given by your doctor. Do not eat any solid foods until the numbness has worn off. You may apply ice to the area as needed.

What are the risks of this procedure?

There is always the risk of infection and bleeding with any invasive procedure.

Does it hurt?

The injection of anesthesia may be painful and the area will be sore when the numbness wears off.

Nugget
10-08-2004, 11:20
Does it hurt?

The injection of anesthesia may be painful and the area will be sore when the numbness wears off.

Wouldn't that just be the same as having an injection at the dentist?

Tricky
10-08-2004, 14:10
Cheers all, yes I have been told it's the same as a jab at the dentists except it's in your lip which is a little more sensative and the numbness wheres off quicker....

I just don't do pain!

greencreeper
10-08-2004, 14:31
Why inject the lip?? I once had some work done on a tooth and it was numbed up. When it wore off I discovered I'd sunk my canine into the lip - big hole. Sore as hell :( Didn't even know I'd done it.

Good luck with it.

Ramrod
10-08-2004, 14:35
So what is the sublingual gland in your picture? because the 3 on there are where I was told I had them. 1 in each cheek (behave!), 2 under the jaw and 2 in the lower lip.Sublingual means 'under the tongue'.
<jumping up and down> You dont have salivary glands in your lips! :D

paulyoung666
10-08-2004, 16:05

hope you had permission to post that picture , sorry :Sprint:

hope everything goes ok tricky :tu: :)

Ramrod
10-08-2004, 16:32
hope you had permission to post that picture , sorry :Sprint: Nope! :D
But I'm sure that, in the spirit of medical education, they wouldn't object. :p:

paulyoung666
10-08-2004, 16:36
Nope! :D
But I'm sure that, in the spirit of medical education, they wouldn't object. :p:

i am sure they wouldnt :)

Marge
10-08-2004, 16:42
When I worked in the surgery people frequently felt that had to show me their injuries, anything from dog bites to operation wounds :erm: hence me wanting to have a gawp at Neils poorly hands.

Tricky, just think of the sympathy and how much you can milk this for :rofl:

Mr_love_monkey
10-08-2004, 16:44
i am sure they wouldnt :)
Lets hand him into 'FACT' and split the reward! :)

paulyoung666
10-08-2004, 16:46
Lets hand him into 'FACT' and split the reward! :)

ok mate , you give em a ring :D :D :D :D

Tricky
11-08-2004, 10:47
Well it's done, the injection before was the worst bit. Still numb from the local anaesthetic so not looking forwards to the next 2 hours when it apparently should wear off.

Bit they took out wasn't that big and two stiches later I'm chucked out onto the street with a load of warning of what I can and cannot eat/drink.

Nugget
11-08-2004, 10:49
Well it's done, the injection before was the worst bit. Still numb from the local anaesthetic so not looking forwards to the next 2 hours when it apparently should wear off.

Bit they took out wasn't that big and two stiches later I'm chucked out onto the street with a load of warning of what I can and cannot eat/drink.

Hope everything's alright matey :tu:

greencreeper
11-08-2004, 11:04

Take painkillers now, before the pain starts. You won't have to suffer while they kick in.

Ramrod
11-08-2004, 11:16
Well it's done...........How long till the results?

paulyoung666
11-08-2004, 11:23
hope everything works out ok :)

Jon M
11-08-2004, 11:33
Take painkillers now, before the pain starts. You won't have to suffer while they kick in.
I recommend ibuprofen instead of paracetamol... it lasts most of the day but takes about 30mins to an hour to kick in.
I went through a fair amount myself after I had a lot of pain from a deep filling.

paulyoung666
11-08-2004, 11:36
I recommend ibuprofen instead of paracetamol... it lasts most of the day but takes about 30mins to an hour to kick in.
I went through a fair amount myself after I had a lot of pain from a deep filling.

ibuprofen and paracetomol is a good combo i find :)

Tricky
11-08-2004, 11:42
Ibuprofen taken - lip is starting to turn pink again!
Thanks all

SMHarman
11-08-2004, 11:48
You can actually take about 2.4g of brufen a day (400mg ever 4 hours), though not long term. This is double what it says on the packet, but it is one of the safer painkillers (unless you suffer from stomach problems when bleeding can occur). Certainly hit the pain when I had my wisdom teeth out.

Salu
11-08-2004, 12:48
You can actually take about 2.4g of brufen a day (400mg ever 4 hours), though not long term. This is double what it says on the packet, but it is one of the safer painkillers (unless you suffer from stomach problems when bleeding can occur). Certainly hit the pain when I had my wisdom teeth out.

That is true. But I would not recommend you saying this unless you are medically qualified to do so. This maximum dose is not recommended for increased pain relief but to give a greater anti-inflammatory effect. The pain relief effects of Ibuprofen is akin to paracetamol. It's main benefit is to decrease the swelling of a particular area which in doing so decreases the pain. You may be better taking a lower dose of Ibuprofen and suplementing it with paracetamol (not aspirin by the way).

There are also side effects with Ibuprofen that need to be taken into consideration when prescribing at this level that are not as important at a lower level. Hence the drug is available over the counter.

Do not take this dose without checking it out with your doctor folks....

greencreeper
11-08-2004, 14:00
I tend to use paracetamol and codeine (aka co-codamol) and Ibuprofen when I've had dental work done, or if I've got one of my killer headaches. The combo of an analgesic and NSAID really helps.

SMHarman
11-08-2004, 14:05
That is true. But I would not recommend you saying this unless you are medically qualified to do so. This maximum dose is not recommended for increased pain relief but to give a greater anti-inflammatory effect. The pain relief effects of Ibuprofen is akin to paracetamol. It's main benefit is to decrease the swelling of a particular area which in doing so decreases the pain. You may be better taking a lower dose of Ibuprofen and suplementing it with paracetamol (not aspirin by the way).

There are also side effects with Ibuprofen that need to be taken into consideration when prescribing at this level that are not as important at a lower level. Hence the drug is available over the counter.

Do not take this dose without checking it out with your doctor folks....
No I'm not qualified to say this and you last paragraph is very true, however, even if I was qualified to say so, you would need medical records / consultation to do so.
All this said, the side effects of a Ibuprofen overdose (which would require further multiples of the recommended level again) are far lower than paracetamol or asprin.

Salu
11-08-2004, 15:28
No I'm not qualified to say this and you last paragraph is very true, however, even if I was qualified to say so, you would need medical records / consultation to do so.
All this said, the side effects of a Ibuprofen overdose (which would require further multiples of the recommended level again) are far lower than paracetamol or asprin.

Absolutely which is why I think it would be prudent if we did not "recommend" our own doses of prescription medications on here.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the following though?

(which would require further multiples of the recommended level again)

SMHarman
11-08-2004, 16:38
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the following though?
"(which would require further multiples of the recommended level again)"

What I meant was that to do damage with an ibuprofen overdose would require say 16gms to do damage (16 times the recommended daily amount) wheras paracetamol or asprin require significantly less, and also once you are feeling the OD on such drugs the (liver/kidney) damage is usually permanent.

paulyoung666
11-08-2004, 16:44
and as this thread gently strays off into the blue yonder , i was once told a girl died after taking only 12 paracetomol , pretty scary stuff :(

anyway back on topic , hows the mouth tricky :D :D :D

Tricky
11-08-2004, 18:34
and as this thread gently strays off into the blue yonder , i was once told a girl died after taking only 12 paracetomol , pretty scary stuff :(

anyway back on topic , hows the mouth tricky :D :D :D

Sore Very
I was told that too much paracetomol can kput your kidneys?

paulyoung666
11-08-2004, 18:46
Sore Very

liver i thought ??????????? , anyway , be careful and dont exceed the dose you should :erm: :)

Caff
11-08-2004, 19:50
I've found that cocodamol, in the regular dose of course, is more helpful than paracetamol: if the paracetamol in cocodamol it doesn't work too well then the codeine in it makes you care less about it any way. :)
Stick to the instructions though.

greencreeper
11-08-2004, 20:05
I've found that cocodamol, in the regular dose of course, is more helpful than paracetamol: if the paracetamol in cocodamol it doesn't work too well then the codeine in it makes you care less about it any way. :)
Stick to the instructions though.

Codeine affects smooth muscle movement though - take it for a few days and you'll need a couple of pints of prune juice ;)

paulyoung666
11-08-2004, 20:17
and of course if none of the tablets work then get a bottle of your fave tipple and go see the fairies , carefully of course where tablets are involved and of course i am not really saying get drunk , that would be irresponsible of me :D :D :D :D

greencreeper
11-08-2004, 20:21
I hear you can get exotic tobacco that's good for pain ;)

SMHarman
12-08-2004, 09:05
Sore Very

liver i thought ??????????? , anyway , be careful and dont exceed the dose you should :erm: :)

You're both right and this would not be good advice in combination with Paracetamol

and of course if none of the tablets work then get a bottle of your fave tipple and go see the fairies , carefully of course where tablets are involved and of course i am not really saying get drunk , that would be irresponsible of me :D :D :D :D

Alcohol increases the risk of liver damage that can occur if an overdose of paracetamol is taken. The hazards of paracetamol overdose are greater in persistant heavy drinkers and in people with alcoholic liver disease.
If symptoms persist for more than three days consult your doctor.
Do not take this medicine with any other paracetamol containing products.
An overdose of paracetamol is dangerous and capable of causing serious damage to the liver and kidneys. You should never exceed the dose stated in the information leaflet supplied with the medicine. Immediate medical advice should be sought in the event of an overdose with this medicine, even if you feel well, because of the risk of delayed, serious liver damage.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/showpreparation.asp?id=2005

And the link below is for Ibuprofen.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004893.html

Zarika
14-11-2005, 00:57
sigh wat does an OD of co codamol do? cos iv done it three times now :( :( i just lost my gf n stuff n mates n i drink ALOT n take alot of stuff... but not stuff like heroin i dont even smoke... but i take alot of paracetamol products in one go... doesnt seem to work tho sorry if i make people mad just saw ppl talkin bout ODs... is it addictive? cos i cant seem to stop it i mix it with alc too... god im a fool... oh well peace to everyone xx

Zarika
14-11-2005, 00:58
im a fool i know ... i know im guna get loads of ppl saying i am..

Russ
14-11-2005, 01:04
You're more likely to be called a fool for using annoying 'txt spk' in your posts.

Sounds like you have a lot of issues in your life - set up a new thread instead of taking this old one off-topic and I'm sure the forum members will add their support.