PDA

View Full Version : my pestscan results...

evilind
09-08-2004, 23:53
Hello all. I did a scan a couple of days ago using pestscan off of the zonelabs website. Anyway, I had one piece of spyware but that is not my query really. Today amongst my emails, I had one from symantic saying I seem to have a new version of the virus my doom.j and a link to click on to clear it which I did not!Can anyone tell me how symantic knew this as I dont think I use anything of theirs unless thats what pestscan is related to. Also is this a real virus thingy and was I wise not to click on the email link? I am using windows 98 and I use the free version of zonealarm firewall. Thanks! :help: :)

paulyoung666
09-08-2004, 23:54
more likely a bogus link to get you to dl the virus i would think :(

Chris W
09-08-2004, 23:56
if it was symantic then it was definately dodgy. If it was symantec then it might be genuine but i really doubt it. Check their website www.symantec.com to see if it ties in with what the email says and do anything it suggests direct from the site rather than from the link in the email.

MB

MovedGoalPosts
09-08-2004, 23:57
I'd be careful here. One of the scams of the virus writers is to send out email whcih appears to be from a virus software comapny. Cnahces are, especially if the email had an attachement or linky, clicking on it could activate the virus payload of the email.

Trust your instincts, If you are not expecting an email from somewhere, then there is most likely something fishy about it. Most certainly never click on or open an unexpected attachement / link until you are sure about it.

Rely on your antiviruis software you already have, and ensure it is always currently patched.

evilind
10-08-2004, 00:04
Thanks for the spelling correction. Of course it was symantec not the way I had spelt it. I think trusting my instincts, I am going to just delete that email, no messing, but I will go onto pcpitstops website and do one of their tests for virus".Cheers for your replies everyone! :)

MovedGoalPosts
10-08-2004, 00:05
I am using windows 98 and I use the free version of zonealarm firewall. Thanks! :help: :)

This implies you do not have an antivirus prgram running on your puter, only a firewall. That leaves you very vulnerable. All the firewall will do is restrict intruders from outside your network getting to your puter. Meanwhile viruses, attached to legitimate stuff you download, especially email can and will bypass the firewall and infect your PC.

Get yourself a current antivirus solution now, and ensure that it is regularly updated online. A reasonable freebie offering is available at AVG Antivirus by Grisoft (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php)