PDA

View Full Version : Get well soon Neil

Ben
09-08-2004, 16:18
Just got of the phone to Neil who is in hospital :eek:

His cat mawled his hands up friday night! Infections all round he says! Stiches needed as well.

They have kept him in for a couple of days considering his hands have swelled up big time!

Lets wish him all the best in recovering :)

poolking
09-08-2004, 16:20
What was he doing to his cat? :D

Ben
09-08-2004, 16:22

The back gate was left open so he went to find them. One of em run back without a fuss - the other wouldn't so he grabbed him and the cat went crazy! - He didn't want to drop him otherwise he would of done a runner!

Chris
09-08-2004, 16:22

Rescuing it. It escaped from the new flat and needed persuading to come home. I've seen the photos - not pleasant. :(

Get well soon, Neil. :tu:

poolking
09-08-2004, 16:23
Ouch nasty, get well soon. :)

Chris W
09-08-2004, 16:24
if a cat mawled my hands i think i would let it go! possibly give it a head start with my boot as well...!

get well soon neil :)

Ramrod
09-08-2004, 16:27
Get well soon m8!

(I don't like cats)

Ben
09-08-2004, 16:32
(I don't like cats)

I dooo :D Wasn't his fault :p

Stuart
09-08-2004, 16:37
Neil, hope you get well soon.

Maggy
09-08-2004, 16:38
Hmm! Not nice having ones hands both out of action.It makes life very difficult.

Give him our regards please. :)

Incog.You can give him a kiss from me as well. ;)

Tricky
09-08-2004, 16:42
Get well soon m8 - Cats can be real gits - Once had a wild one hanging on my thumb (with it's jaws locked) still have the scars!

Nugget
09-08-2004, 16:43
Get well soon Neil :tu:

Having been on the receiving end of an attempted mauling by our two, I can just about imagine how bad it is - hope you're all sorted soon enough.

paulyoung666
09-08-2004, 17:06
i must remember to be nice to my cat all the time now :disturbd: , hope you are better soon my mate :)

Mr_love_monkey
09-08-2004, 17:08
Would now be a good time to make some light hearted comment about how chasing a slang term for cats that begins with 'P' and ends with 'Y' always leads to pain and trouble? :)

Get well soon Neil.

Maggy
09-08-2004, 17:13
Would now be a good time to make some light hearted comment about how chasing a slang term for cats that begins with 'P' and ends with 'Y' always leads to pain and trouble? :)

Get well soon Neil.

Unless it's a tom.Then it's just tomfoolery. ;)

Bex
09-08-2004, 17:22
hope you get well soon neil :)

kronas
09-08-2004, 17:26
get well soon neil and i hope to see you around these parts soon.

:(

SMHarman
09-08-2004, 17:40

Investing in some speach to text software!

homealone
09-08-2004, 17:54
Sounds nasty - I hope you heal up soon, Neil, take it easy in the meantime :)

Colin
09-08-2004, 18:13

What is this, the wild west or something :D ;)

Hope it all heals up soon Neil

Russ
09-08-2004, 18:15
In the admin area there's a picture of his mangled hands...if he'll allow it, I might post it later... :D

paulyoung666
09-08-2004, 18:17
In the admin area there's a picture of his mangled hands...if he'll allow it, I might post it later... :D

sounds pretty gruesome :(

go on then :D :D

sorry neil :disturbd:

Tezcatlipoca
09-08-2004, 18:17
Already said elsewhere, but

Get well soon Neil :)

Shaun
09-08-2004, 18:25
Yer, hope your well soon mate.

Chimaera
09-08-2004, 19:00
Get better soon - and be nice to that cat when you see it next! ;)

greencreeper
09-08-2004, 19:07
Maybe invest in a pair of those chainmail gloves that butchers use. Not to butcher the cat - would be too quick - but for the purpose of manhandling it in the future. They're just like women - cute and harmless but rub them the wrong way and it's a trip to A&E :D

Russ
09-08-2004, 19:10
So both his hands are mangled.....good job he's not single then ;) :D :D

paulyoung666
09-08-2004, 19:19

and prey tell what are you suggesting :disturbd: :D :D :D :D

Russ
09-08-2004, 19:27
Nothing, just tossing a few ideas around.... :D

greencreeper
09-08-2004, 19:32

Note how Russ displays characteristics typical of your average human male, namely a complete lack of consideration for the female and her needs. :no:

:p:

MovedGoalPosts
09-08-2004, 19:33
Nothing, just tossing a few ideas around.... :D

Er there are naive uncorrupted and innocent members reading this, like me :angel: It's a family forum :shocked: Perhaps you ought to moderator yourself :erm:

Serioulsy Neil hope your hands are sorted soon (we'll miss the promotion of Pipex ;) ), and get the cat taken to the vets for some tranquilizers.

Russ
09-08-2004, 19:33
Er there are naive uncorrupted and innocent members reading this, like me It's a family forum Perhaps you ought to moderator yourself

What on earth do you mean?? I was innocently throwing some ideas about! :angel:

Note how Russ displays characteristics typical of your average human male, namely a complete lack of consideration for the female and her needs

Ahh, does this mean I'm hetro again??? :D

greencreeper
09-08-2004, 19:45
Ahh, does this mean I'm hetro again??? :D

:erm:

kronas
09-08-2004, 21:59
What is this, the wild west or something :D ;)

lol nah, just lost for words really...

Er there are naive uncorrupted and innocent members reading this, like me :angel: It's a family forum :shocked: Perhaps you ought to moderator yourself :erm:

some of us were corrupted long before we saw the forum, having said that those who need to know what he meant do know. ;)

tkiely
09-08-2004, 22:11
Neil,

get back soon mate, Pipex will get ripped without you!

seriously, I know how you feel, I still have 8 inch scars on my arm from my ginger Tom who rolled over playfully to have his tum tickled and then minced my arms. and that was a year ago!

tickle the pussy, just carefully!

Paul
09-08-2004, 22:41
get back soon mate, Pipex will get ripped without you!
He's only been gone a day and already Pipex have gone out and bought Nildram. :erm:

Silent Wings
09-08-2004, 22:59
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2004/08/11.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001)hope your better soon Neil

Electrolyte01
09-08-2004, 23:41
Get well soon Neil :)

Marge
09-08-2004, 23:47
Ouch, poor Neil. Bet that hurt :eek: Hope you get well soon :hugs:

Probably me being gruesome but I really want to see the pics :erm:

MovedGoalPosts
09-08-2004, 23:51
Probably me being gruesome but I really want to see the pics :erm:

Nope you just want to see the extent of his sufferring. :Sprint:

(Sorry Neil, I'm sure it's far from nice)

greencreeper
10-08-2004, 00:02
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2004/08/11.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001)hope your better soon Neil

Note how the emoticon has one arm :erm: I didn't think his injuries were that bad. You sure it was a domestic cat?

carlingman
10-08-2004, 00:26
Get well soon Neil.

But lets see the pics please.

:D

Russ
10-08-2004, 08:01
This is the pic of Neil's bandaged mitts....

orangebird
10-08-2004, 09:37
I though Neil was allergic to cats?? :confused: :dunce:

Never mind. Get well soon honey :kiss: :luv:

Mr_love_monkey
10-08-2004, 09:45
I though Neil was allergic to cats?? :confused: :dunce:

He probably is now :)

Matth
10-08-2004, 18:19
If the cat's not been "done", how about a nice trip to the vet - get your own back!

[As Space Oddity]
Birth control to Ginger Tom,
Birth control to Ginger Tom,
Your miaow is higher since you've had it done.

This is Ginger Tom to Birth Control:
I'm feeling very frail,
And there's something gone from underneath my tail,
And I'm walking in a most peculiar way.

Here am I sitting in a dustbin,
Miaowing at the moon (purr).
There's nothing we can do
Since you've been doctored too.
The other evening on Animal Planet, one of the shows had the clip of the "pet of the week" cat, and just as the guy was describing how nice it was, it went berserk.

paulyoung666
10-08-2004, 18:36
If the cat's not been "done", how about a nice trip to the vet - get your own back!

The other evening on Animal Planet, one of the shows had the clip of the "pet of the week" cat, and just as the guy was describing how nice it was, it went berserk.

awwwwwwwwww poor cat :(

Shaun
10-08-2004, 18:51

Bless him, he couldn't even manage to put his Salisbury's shopping away! :erm:

Hope there better soon mate ;)

smegs
10-08-2004, 19:02
:eek: that must really have hurt :Yikes:

Silent Wings
10-08-2004, 21:48
This isn't Neil's cat at it again is it :D

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13185434,00.html

greencreeper
10-08-2004, 22:40
:shocked: Fingers like Walls sausages.

And there's something gone from underneath my tail

:rofl:

Neil
12-08-2004, 09:01
Wow....:blush:

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread, & sent me emails/PMs/MSNs etc. :)

I don't really wanna go into all the (literally) gory details, but yes basically I got mauled by a cat late on Fri night. Went to A&E where they cleaned/stitched/dressed my hands. They asked me to go back 24 hours later, & when I did they said that due to the immense swelling/infection in my left hand that they would have to admit me right there.

So I was admitted & kept on a drip pumping me full of various antibiotics/penicillin etc until Tuesday when they released me. I am now chilling at home as I still cannot move my left hand fully due to the injuries. :(

Anyway, it's on the mend, I have to go back to GP to have dressing changed on Friday, & then see a surgeon once swelling/infection has fully gone as they think there may be tendon damage under the knuckles on the left hand. :erm:

Thank you everyone for your support. :tu:

N.

Paul K
12-08-2004, 09:05
Wow....:blush:

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread, & sent me emails/PMs/MSNs etc. :)

I don't really wanna go into all the (literally) gory details, but yes basically I got mauled by a cat late on Fri night. Went to A&E where they cleaned/stitched/dressed my hands. They asked me to go back 24 hours later, & when I did they said that due to the immense swelling/infection in my left hand that they would have to admit me right there.

So I was admitted & kept on a drip pumping me full of various antibiotics/penicillin etc until Tuesday when they released me. I am now chilling at home as I still cannot move my left hand fully due to the injuries. :(

Anyway, it's on the mend, I have to go back to GP to have dressing changed on Friday, & then see a surgeon once swelling/infection has fully gone as they think there may be tendon damage under the knuckles on the left hand. :erm:

Thank you everyone for your support. :tu:

N.

Mmmmmm Neil can't reach the ban button .... :naughty:
Hope the hands heal up again soon, has it affected holding cold cans of anything? ;)

Salu
12-08-2004, 10:05
Neil

Sounds like you got something called Cellulitis. Very nasty. I've seen some horrific infections.

Basically you get some infection underneath the skin. This environment provides the bacteria with the perfect environment to propagate. Dark, warm and moist. They are usually anaerobic bacteria which mean that they don't need oxygen to survive. So you can almost watch the infection spreading up the arm. You can also get mixed aerobic and anaerobic flora infecting the arm.

Did you have your arm elevated? That will help with fighting the infection by using gravity.

Alternativley as you may have had tendon damager the other possibility is a tendon sheath infection which would be the same principle but within the sheath that the tendon moveds in. If so, you would have difficulty in extending your finger/s.

Wish you well...

Ramrod
12-08-2004, 10:43
Basically you get some infection underneath the skin. This environment provides the bacteria with the perfect environment to propagate. Dark, warm and moist. They are usually anaerobic bacteria which mean that they don't need oxygen to survive. So you can almost watch the infection spreading up the arm. You can also get mixed aerobic and anaerobic flora infecting the arm....On that note I am reminded of something I learnt in 1st year anatomy about synovial sheaths in the hand. (having looked it up again in a textbook) The common flexor synovial sheath extends, uninterrupted, into the little finger and is a way that infection can spread into that finger very quickly, with serious consequences.....that finger, especially, needs watching....iirc.
edit--though that's to do with pussy infections rather than cellulitis

Chris
12-08-2004, 10:48
And can I pre-emptively ask that nobody makes the obvious gag in response to that please. :) ;)

Mr_love_monkey
12-08-2004, 10:51
And can I pre-emptively ask that nobody makes the obvious gag in response to that please. :) ;)

Reminds me of the episode of 'The Young ones' - 'Has anyone made the stiffy joke yet?' :)

Paul K
12-08-2004, 12:11
Aww we've been good so far ;) Not too many raised eyebrows over Neil injuring his hand trying to manipulate a pussy in his garden....:erm:

greencreeper
12-08-2004, 12:29
You learn something new everyday :erm:

http://www.kcweb.com/herb/catsclaw.htm

MadGamer
12-08-2004, 13:15
Get well soon mate. :)

Neil
24-08-2004, 19:56
Hi all,

Well-the bandages came off my left hand today, & although the docs are fairly happy with the progress, the upshot of it all is that it looks like I will almost definitely need surgery on the hand. :erm:

I have taken a couple a couple of pics to show you how the hand currently looks.....

Maggy
24-08-2004, 19:59
What about the cat? Is it going to require surgery as well. :)

Seriously I hope that you are back to normal soon. ;)

paulyoung666
24-08-2004, 20:54
that is nasty neil , i will think twice about upsetting my cat from now on , seriously though , i hope you get sorted soon :)

greencreeper
24-08-2004, 21:57
Nasty. Still looks swollen. Have they given any advice on scarring?

Colin
24-08-2004, 22:03
What about the cat? Is it going to require surgery as well.
....to retrieve the boot from its ar......?

greencreeper
24-08-2004, 22:13
....to retrieve the boot from its ar......?

More likely to have its bits removed to make it more docile :D

Russ
24-08-2004, 22:14
Maybe having its bits removed is what made it nasty in the first place....

greencreeper
24-08-2004, 22:15
Maybe having its bits removed is what made it nasty in the first place....

Seething with impotent rage you mean ;)

Russ
24-08-2004, 22:42
Well yeah!!! Wouldn't you?? :D

greencreeper
24-08-2004, 22:50
Well yeah!!! Wouldn't you?? :D

I don't have much need for my nuts actually :D

sir_drinks_alot
25-08-2004, 08:50
get well soon mate

Stuart
25-08-2004, 09:12
Actually, my cat calmed down slightly after having certain parts removed.

It still amazes me, however, how he can be purring like crazy and rubbing himself against you, yet a tenth of a second later can be hanging on to your hand with his claws and teeth..

Stu038
25-08-2004, 09:19
More likely to have its bits removed to make it more docile :D

If the bugger was mine he wouldn't need surgery for that, I would sneak up on the swine while he was sleeping and remove em with a couple of bricks. :Yikes:

Seriously though, glad to hear that your on the mend Neil, have the Docs said when they'll make a decision on the surgery?

Ramrod
25-08-2004, 10:13
What would the surgery be hoping to accomplish?
edit...doh......just re-read the thread, nevermind :D

Escapee
25-08-2004, 12:57
I remember catching a youngish stray cat about 13 years ago, I ended catching two wild kitten/cats after we found their mother dead under the bushes in our front garden. The smaller runt of the litter was no problem, and was easily tempted by some chicken.

The bigger one was another story, I got him to go in the shed after placing some food in there for him. The shed had no windows so I went in whilst my girlfriend held the door shut, I managed to grab him and hold on ver tight as he was biting hell out of me! I then did a runner into the house and let him go.
He was running like mad all over the place. :Yikes:

he eventually settled behind some furniture in the corner, he would only come out to eat and use the litter tray when we were out of the room. After a couple of days my grandfather let him go saying "He'll never be any good"

He returned the next day when I left the back door open, and went straight back inot the corner looking for food. We used to sneak up behind him to pick him up because he was so scared, and any visitors would think he was mistreated because of his actions. He died last year after being with us for about 12-13 years, we always laughed about him biting me when he would get up on my lap in his older age for a bit of fuss.

I can tell you it really hurt when he was scratching and biting me when I caught him. :D

Get well soon Neil.