PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Love Spoons

yesman
08-08-2004, 15:14
I was just interested to know how these came about.
I have a few of them myself, but don't know much about them.
The ones that I have used to be my mum's I think.
I have searched for them on the web and found sites that sell them, but not how they originated, and as there are a few welsh people on this site, I was hoping someone could shed a bit of light on the subject.

If not, then never mind.

Maggy
08-08-2004, 15:20
I believe they began as a means of a welsh lad telling a girl he fancied her by carving her a intricate spoon.This would lead to a betrothal and it went from there.That's as I understand it from my welsh mother-in-law.Now it's a touresty trap type thing and Americans and Japenese spend a small fortune on the things.

Chris W
08-08-2004, 15:21
i spoon only with the person i love if that counts :p: :p: :D

Russ
08-08-2004, 15:43
I believe they began as a means of a welsh lad telling a girl he fancied her by carving her a intricate spoon.This would lead to a betrothal and it went from there.

Yes, that's just about it - a guy would carve out the spoon as a gift not only to his intended, but also to her family to let them know how serious he was about their daughter. Coggy is right though - the only people today who use them for any purpose similar to this would be the tourists.

poolking
08-08-2004, 16:17
i spoon only with the person i love if that counts :p: :p: :D
Wash your mouth out young man. :D

yesman
08-08-2004, 16:28
I believe they began as a means of a welsh lad telling a girl he fancied her by carving her a intricate spoon.This would lead to a betrothal and it went from there.That's as I understand it from my welsh mother-in-law.Now it's a touresty trap type thing and Americans and Japenese spend a small fortune on the things.
It seems a shame it still doesn't carry on.
The tradition I mean.

Maggy
08-08-2004, 16:45
It seems a shame it still doesn't carry on.
The tradition I mean.

Well the average welsh lad has the same distractions as most young men these days.Too much to do for carving spoons.

Buxom_woman
09-08-2004, 01:31
Well the average welsh lad has the same distractions as most young men these days.Too much to do for carving spoons.

LOL!!! What's that then??!! :erm:

smevans
09-08-2004, 01:38
Dont even know what one is ? :erm:

carlingman
09-08-2004, 01:59

Yes contrary to belief we do have nice looking women down here in Wales.

Although I do have a certain pic somewhere with a Mod with a sheep.

But we wont even go there.

:D

greencreeper
09-08-2004, 07:06
I thought you hit the sheep over the head with the spoon in order to subdue it? :D

:Sprint:

Paul K
09-08-2004, 08:01
Dont even know what one is ? :erm:
These sort of things
Love spoons (http://www.cadwyn.com/llwyau/english/shopping.html)

Maggy
09-08-2004, 09:39
LOL!!! What's that then??!! :erm:

Oh TV,radio,PC,XBox,PS2,Texting,watching,sleeping,eat ing,football,the internet. :)

Plus most girls want more than a bit of wooden carving these days.Expectations are much higher from my own sex these days. :erm:

Mind I think if my own welshman had carved me a spoon I would have been won over because he isn't that handy with his hands.He made me laugh instead. :D

Hmm! I typed eating as one word but it keeps coming out as eat ing