PDA

View Full Version : XBConnect!

Caspar
02-08-2003, 00:01
Has anyone felt the need to play Halo/ Brute Force (to name but a few) with your mates?... Well, have you tried playing Halo with your mates over the Internet?

Ok, Halo is not XBOX Live compatible, basically becuase it came out on XBOX release, which was a whole year before XBOX Live was released! Neither is Brute Force (other than Downloadable Content, no mate playing :( ) but that's another story!

But you can play Halo via Split Screen (many players on the same XBOX, max 4 players) or System Link (1 player on each XBOX all connected together, 4 players...and also Split Screen with another 3 on each XBOX making that a massive 16!)

In addition to these two modes of play you can now play Halo (and many others) with someone else over the Internet using XBConnect.com (http://www.xbconnect.com). This piece of software is installed onto a PC connected to the same local network as your XBOX. The software works with your XBOX in System Link mode and bounces (bascially) your System Link network gaming information up through your broadband connection to another person/s using the same software, living on the other side of the world (for example!), and thus convincing the other XBOX is on the same local network!

Anyway checkout the XBConnect.com (http://www.xbconnect.com) software. It's actually been around for some time now but I thought I'd share this excellent gaming experience for all those who want to play Halo or Brute Force with your mates, remotely!

Direct XBConnect.com support links:
How do I play XBOX online? (http://www.xbconnect.com/faq.php)
XBConnect Help Center (http://www.xbchelp.com)

By the way, hereâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s the full list of XBConnect supported games:

Brute Force
Clone Wars
Deathrow
Halo
Ghost Recon
Inside Pitch
Mech Assault
Midnight Club2
Midtown Maddness 3
MotoGP
MotoGP 2
Nascar Heat
NFL Fever
Serious Sam
Soldier of Fortune 2
Time Splitters 2
Tony Hawk 2x
Tony Hawk 3
Tony Hawk 4
Unreal Championship
Whacked
Wolfenstein

FelonX
03-08-2003, 21:28
or you could just use gamespy tunnel service :p

Jarandco
03-08-2003, 21:32
Originally posted by FelonX
or you could just use gamespy tunnel service :p

no because xbconnect is much better than gamepsy it works on more machines no adverts and is much more reliable and stable xbconnect is much better than gamespy!

Defiant
03-08-2003, 23:35
I have my xbox chipped for the import game and use xbconnect and its gr8.

PS no company should have the right to say were you can buy your game from :mad:

slysy
10-08-2003, 16:18
Does gamespy work with a wireless setup, cos unfortunately xbconnect does not :(

Mark15
10-08-2003, 22:17
I want to use Xbox connect but I don't have a NIC card or a Router. I'm struggling to get money for XBL games never mind Routers Nic cards andcross over cables. :( Is there an easier or cheaper way I wanna play you guys on Halo and show you how its done. ;)

slysy
10-08-2003, 22:21
Strictly speaking you dont need a router to use XBconnect. You can buy a NIC and just connect to your PC via crossover cable I think. Both of these are really cheap if you look around, NIC's are about £5 on www.ebuyer.com

Mark15
10-08-2003, 22:25
well whats easier and cheaper to set up a router to use XBC or a NIC connection

Tezcatlipoca
10-08-2003, 23:17
A NIC.

You can get a NIC for £5-£15, whereas a router would cost £50.

The XBox plugs into the NIC in the PC, while the PC's USB port (or another NIC if you have one) plugs into the cable modem, & then you set up Internet Connection Sharing.

xGhostx
26-12-2004, 19:51
Hey,

I've recently been converted to xbox which I am thankful for due to the pitiful graphics on the ps2.

My problem is I am running wireless and my xbox is modded with a bigger hard drive and a mod chip. The mod chip can run cromwell (turned off basically) but xbox live can still pick up the hard drive and I dont want 2 pay to play.

Now I have a router which is a netgear (DG834G, i think) which has a built in modem and firewall and runs to my pc network connector and the main internet socket (512k broadband.)

Then (sorry bout all this!) I have a netgear wireless to ethernet hub (me101) which allowed me to access linux on my xbox but that packed up and it has evolution x anyway whatever that means!

What I am trying to say is, is there no way possible to run that wirelessly with xbconnect or infact any other provider

If not there is hopefully light at the end of the tunnel, i hav a tv tuner and I could buy a cable to run my xbox thru that which would then be completely connected, right??

Thanks in advance for any help available

The_real_dj
27-12-2004, 02:16
just out of interest why cant wireless be used for xbconnect??
at the end of the day there should be no technical differeance between a wired and a wireless connection!! im confused!!!!!

xGhostx
28-12-2004, 12:01
This is because Xbconnect works through a system link where it tricks it into think you are playing over a lan (local area network) when your actually playing over the internet.

Therefore when you are playing a system link both the xboxs' hav to be connected using wires because there is no wireless adapter for the xbox system link play.

As a matter of fact I have got my xbox working on wireless but through a wired pc.
:)

Br1an_g
28-12-2004, 12:17
halo on xbconnect is fantastic.

better than halo2 :)

The_real_dj
28-12-2004, 14:21
Has anyone used this yet?? http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/ its apparently really good and you can control it through media center if you have it!! :)

Brainbug71
28-12-2004, 17:04
I've been using xlinkKai (www.teamxlink.co.uk) for some time now due to a heavily modded box (no mod chips (flash mod) but lots of other stuff).

sometimes its a bit hard to get a good game depending on what you want to play but saying that i've had times on xbox live where i couldn't get a game at all, game dependant.

The best thing about this is that you are not restricted to 10 players, i've been playing Ghost recon 2 with 15 other players lately and it rocks.

You can controll it through the media centre on the xbox but i prefer using the PC screen as it has a chat and messenger facility built in. you can see whose online and set up games or just chat thro dashboard screen.

Give it a go...its free...what have you got to lose

Tricky
28-12-2004, 18:37
I've had problems in the past with 128K upload on XBConnect - It's fine on 256K create private sessions for racing/challenging your mates

chilin_dude
29-12-2004, 15:26
I use Xlink Kai too, I don't know what the other people are talking about - I use a wireless set-up, you definately don't have to use wires.
Great fun playing GR2 or Links online :)

Tricky
06-02-2005, 21:34
Apologies for dragging this thread out of the dead! - After just starting XBConnect again, I was wondering if it's worth getting a few other "non-Live" people up for the challenge of a game or two...Potentially creating a Clan? PM me...(with games you use on XBC)

Caspar
09-02-2005, 14:03
Good idea...if you get sufficient numbers to start a NTHW XBC clan, then let me know :D ;)

Tricky
09-02-2005, 18:38
Good idea...if you get sufficient numbers to start a NTHW XBC clan, then let me know :D ;)

Erm - Grand Total 1 = Me! :D

mikafire
10-02-2005, 12:37
Kai is the way to go. Took me 5 mins to set up and start playing :tu: and you ain't got to get off your arse to put disks in your drive ;)

Brainbug71
10-02-2005, 18:25
Told you guys its the nuts
And everytime you start up the engine it downloads any updates automatically, aving yet another job.
I reckon I've spent as much time on Kai as i have on live in the past two months. especially as i had to get a new box to get back onto live.
If ya fancy some games add me to your friends list
Kai tag Brainbug71

mikafire
11-02-2005, 12:38
And everytime you start up the engine it downloads any updates automatically, aving yet another job.
I reckon I've spent as much time on Kai as i have on live in the past two months. especially as i had to get a new box to get back onto live.
Kai tag Brainbug71

Done mate see ya soon ;)

Caspar
11-02-2005, 16:36
Does Kai allow full voice gaming?

Brainbug71
11-02-2005, 18:44
Kai does everything live does except for the new fangled messages
you do however have a chat window on the pc and if you have a modded box you can send messages as in live by setting up your password and tag in media player, you can also manage freinds lists from there.

The only drawback is that some of the lesser games dont have many people playing. Generally tho later at night you'll see the figures of people online go to over a thousand. For halo Halo2 GR2 and others as the words is geting about its really starting to rock at the present time it also has 7 orbital servers and is due to sign up its eigth soon.......best of all its free.
No money for Microshaft

chilin_dude
17-02-2005, 16:28
Kai tag Brainbug71
Agreed, I have KAI set up on my router now, meaning I don't even need a PC, I just use XBMC to navigate arena's!!!
Does Kai allow full voice gaming?Of course :)

xHn_[UK]_Blade
27-02-2005, 01:57
xlink also has a Tournament and Ladder site (http://www.weplayhere.net/)