PDA

View Full Version : Packet loss?

ynwa
08-08-2004, 02:49
Since i had the upgrade, i have been having trouble with Yahoo Messenger and MSN. Im not receiving all the messages in the conversation, and the people im chatting with arent getting all my mesages either. I ran a broadband test and 2 times out of the 4 i ran it it said i had bad packet loss.

Is it possible that the upgrade has caused this?

Paul
08-08-2004, 03:44
If by upgrade you mean the speed upgrade then no, it is not likely to cause this. Have you actually tried running some pings [to sites] to see if you get a high loss rate ? (try ping bbc.co.uk -n 50 and see what happens)

greencreeper
08-08-2004, 04:59
If by upgrade you mean the speed upgrade then no, it is not likely to cause this. Have you actually tried running some pings [to sites] to see if you get a high loss rate ? (try ping bbc.co.uk -n 50 and see what happens)

I wondered about this. Is it possible for a fault to exist such that it goes unnoticed until a speed increase causes it to manifest itself? Say a dodgy NIC or a failing cable modem?

Paul
08-08-2004, 12:08
I wondered about this. Is it possible for a fault to exist such that it goes unnoticed until a speed increase causes it to manifest itself? Say a dodgy NIC or a failing cable modem?
Not very likely at the speeds we are talking here. The oldest NICS are 10mbps, modern ones are 100mbps or even 1000mbps. Most cable modems will go to 30mbps or more.