PDA

View Full Version : Error 104 on Sky digibox

James Vertigan
07-08-2004, 01:10
I keep coming across this error code when trying to use the phone connection on my Sky digibox, I understand from a topic I found on DigitalSpy that it had something to do with the gain on the phone line - when I rang NTL recently to explain the problem, the man I spoke to said nothing could be done as NTL use fibre optics and not normal cabling like BT use. I knew that they used fibre optics for the phone lines (used to do a lot of promotional stuff for Videotron - including an appearance on an advert for their phone service!) but I don't see how ths can affect my Sky service - it seems to pick up updates and things like that OK - and it confirms that the phone line is connected... so why won't it let me go "on line"?

So does anyone else who has an NTL phone line have the same problem?

Neil
07-08-2004, 09:30
Iwhen I rang NTL recently to explain the problem, the man I spoke to said nothing could be done as NTL use fibre optics and not normal cabling like BT use. :td:

What a load of BS-where do they get these monkies from? :afire:

Did you get the person's name that gave you this info?

James Vertigan
07-08-2004, 09:56
Maybe he was trying to tempt me back to NTL's Digital TV service, so he made up some rubbish!

ian@huth
07-08-2004, 11:03
BT, NTL and TW all use fibre optics for telephony and all use twisted pair copper (or aluminium) for the "last mile". I currently have a NTL phone line which connects my Sky system and I have no problems using it and have never seen an error when using it.

James Vertigan
07-08-2004, 12:32
So why am I getting these errors then? As fart as I know we don't have any extra features on the line like voicemail etc...

lsgworldl
04-09-2004, 03:40
you fart as much as you like

thejoker37
08-01-2005, 12:32
Hi

I have always had this 104 error, same as previous poster. I have had it for nearly 5 years now . Updates work ok, you can start sky interactive games etc... but as soon as I try to connect I get this error104 message. Line connection check is ok too. I am also a NTL telephone customer (Luton / Steveage, Hitchin area).

It is a PACE digibox Model number: BSKYB2500S3

Is it the phone line?? this works perferctly for making and recieving calls, and I even used it with the modem on a dial-up connection to see if I could transmit and recieve data.

Is it the modem in the Pace box??? it connects to sky active....so I presume that is using the phone line to connect... to download new games demos etc.... or are they transmitted from the sat to the dish??

Is it the small cable that connects the Digibox to the phone socket?? I have used this cable on my laptop for the dial up connection so I would assume that is OK.

Is it the telephone number it has to dial out ?? I am not to sure where to find this number. Is it the right number ?? How can I change it ?. However, I did phone NTL (who eventually answered after 25 minutes waiting and going through various menus etc..) told me that no number is barred on my telephone system. I dont even have call waiting ***** anymore.

As previous poster, NTL were not much help and SKY did not help either... all they did was keep me on telephone line (at extortionate rates) for them to tell me sweet FA. The most annoying bit was the Telephone help desk operator did not even speak english so it was hard to explain what the initial problem was. Having call centres in faw away countrys in not a good idea.. it may be cheaper for NTL and SKY but the customer service from these centres is utter rubbish. All they do is just ask simple questions,and they just enter it into a database search, and then read the BS from a PC screen.

Eventually I just gave up and have put up with the ERROR CODE 104 for the past 4 years until now......now my child is old enough to play the online games and I would like to sort it out.

Any help is really much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

the joker37:confused: