PDA

View Full Version : Fox hunting

darkangel
01-08-2003, 22:46
what do people think about fox hunting?
i personally find it repulsive in the present age that people would even consider hunting down a wild animal chasing it till it's exhausted and letting it be ripped to pieces by a pack of dogs

kronas
01-08-2003, 22:49
a total ban is what is needed for this disgusting so called 'sport' which brings nothing but suffering to foxes and dont start on the 'they steal chickens from farmers' so what its part of nature why dont the farmers just put up a better defense :mad:

Steve H
01-08-2003, 22:56
Well.. It does happen naturally, I think people find it so repulsive cos the people who do it, get kicks out of it.. Strict Restrcitions are probably the best..

danielf
01-08-2003, 22:57
It's unnecessary and repulsive. And posh, and that's enough reason to have it banned.

kronas
01-08-2003, 22:58
Originally posted by danielf
It's unnecessary and repulsive. And posh, and that's enough reason to have it banned.

exactly why do the royals do it what 'legitimate' reasons do they conjur up ?

Alan Waddington
While I have no particular desire to go fox hunting I don't go for this "ban everything the majority don't like" thing.

Next thing you know they'll be wanting to ban happy hour & replace the pubs with coffee shops.

Alan

darkangel
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
Well.. It does happen naturally, I think people find it so repulsive cos the people who do it, get kicks out of it.. Strict Restrictions are probably the best.. what happens naturally?

Steve H
01-08-2003, 23:00
Originally posted by darkangel
what happens naturally?

Predators go after there prey.

kronas
01-08-2003, 23:00
Originally posted by Alan Waddington
While I have no particular desire to go fox hunting I don't go for this "ban everything the majority don't like" thing.

eh ?

no one said were going to ban everything the majorty do its a specific subject what plausable or actual valid reasons are there from fox hunting i already mentioned one that they seem to come up with

darkangel
01-08-2003, 23:02
Predators go after there prey. true but the fox has a chance to escape and predators only kill what they eat, they don't rip apart animals for fun

danielf
01-08-2003, 23:02
Predators go after there prey.

Man after fox? Man after woman maybe. Oh, wait, I get it now...

darkangel
01-08-2003, 23:18
Originally posted by morris
fox's are vermin care to expand on that statement

Russ
01-08-2003, 23:24
I don't really have a problem with the fox population being controlled as I'm sure they are a menace to farmers, it's just the way they are controlled that bothers me....

adj126
02-08-2003, 01:29
I would like to know what all the fox protesters are going to do on the weekend when there are no fox hunts to protest about ?
Are there any air bases or bypasses that need their attention?

Alan Waddington
02-08-2003, 06:39
Originally posted by kronas
eh ?

no one said were going to ban everything the majorty do its a specific subject what plausable or actual valid reasons are there from fox hunting i already mentioned one that they seem to come up with

While foxes are pretty to look at, they are a nuisance. Last year one night a young fox chewed up my clothes line (one of those rotary ones), which I'd taken down to mow the lawn. It also chewed up some outside cabling & dragged the following to the centre of the lawn & chewed up:
1) A bag of building sand.
2) A grow-bag with tomato plants
3) A bag of chipped bark.

Clearing the lawn up took some time.

So my opinion is "Not in my back yard" - literally.

However, I am more concerned the the gradual creep of law into regulating everything we do. The law should be there to allow people to coexist & settle their differences in a controlled manner. It should not be there to force other folks to conform to one's personal view of correct behaviour. If it was, then I'd like to see the following banned for a start:

Smoking - As a non-smoker it gets up my nose.
Dogs in public places - coz of the mess
Wimbledon on TV - I find tennis a boring spectator sport
All public service strikes - they inconvenience me
Dangerous sporting activities - I don't want to pay for other folks hospital treatment when they've done something stupid.
Off-topic discussion of Avril - it's getting tedious (a bit below the belt I know) ;)

Well actually I don't want to see them banned because Article 29 (subsection (2)) of the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights states:

"In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall be subject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely for the purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights and freedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of morality, public order and the general welfare in a democratic society."

fraz
02-08-2003, 09:12
hmmm looking atthe otions available is someone suggesting a 'cap' on fox hunting ?? eg if you exceed one fox per day you risk having your horn stuffed :rolleyes:
Edit: further thought:

If fox hunting had started after the introduction of computer games would people be blaming the games industry for having a detrimental effect on society :confused:

Lord Nikon
02-08-2003, 16:11
Originally posted by fraz
hmmm looking atthe otions available is someone suggesting a 'cap' on fox hunting ?? eg if you exceed one fox per day you risk having your horn stuffed :rolleyes:
[snip]

Was that person a Mr Goodland? lol

kronas
02-08-2003, 21:17
Originally posted by Alan Waddington

Off-topic discussion of Avril - it's getting tedious (a bit below the belt I know) ;)

no one gives a damn about what your post just said except me and the above if you wish to discuss that pm me......

Originally posted by Russ D
I don't really have a problem with the fox population being controlled as I'm sure they are a menace to farmers, it's just the way they are controlled that bothers me....

why shouldnt they be allowed to live

its like saying we should kill humans because they eat other animals :confused:

timewarrior2001
02-08-2003, 21:20
true but the fox has a chance to escape and predators only kill what they eat, they don't rip apart animals for fun

Actually the fox cant escape, its den is barred with wooden stakes, all the fox can do is run and run until its exhausted then the terrified animal has to wait and watch the pack of hounds came into view. It knows its number is up but has no energy to move. Thats when it has its flesh torn from its bones, able to feel everything for the last few seconds of its life.

And that people is why my uncle will not allow hunting on his property.

kronas
02-08-2003, 21:21
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
Actually the fox cant escape, its den is barred with wooden stakes, all the fox can do is run and run until its exhausted then the terrified animal has to wait and watch the pack of hounds came into view. It knows its number is up but has no energy to move. Thats when it has its flesh torn from its bones, able to feel everything for the last few seconds of its life.

the above is true its totally barbaric

darkangel
02-08-2003, 22:43
Originally posted by timewarrior2001

And that people is why my uncle will not allow hunting on his property. umm think u've misread my post i was refering to wild animals being hunted by wild another animal not hunts.

Jules
03-08-2003, 02:25
I was shocked and disgusted when I saw how many people voted to not change the law. Do these same people want bear baiting dog fighting and any other barbaric and disgusting past time also brought back!!

I am sorry but in this day and age it makes me sad to see how cruel people can be

dieselking
03-08-2003, 02:30
Originally posted by whyme38
I was shocked and disgusted when I saw how many people voted to not change the law. Do these same people want bear baiting dog fighting and any other barbaric and disgusting past time also brought back!!

I am sorry but in this day and age it makes me sad to see how cruel people can be

I agree with your statement.

edit I thought & hoped that more people would have wanted it banned.

timewarrior2001
03-08-2003, 11:38
Problem is its not an issues that directly affects others, so many people will be thinking "whats the point anyway"

The only sure way to get people to back a ban on fox hunting is to show in graphic detail what happens to the fox as the pack of hounds rip it apart. Maybe then people will be sickened enough to ban it.

Either that or makes the posh knobs who want hunting......especially some of the snooty women I have come across run from the damned hounds.
Oh and BTW these reports of people being whipped by memebers of a hunt........it happens, they also damage fences and vehicles if they think they are in the way. For some reason they dont think they have to obey tresspass laws. Maybe if farmers started shooting at menebers of the hunt the common people could have sport of their own?

Theodoric
06-08-2003, 20:45
An interesting choice of words in choice 3, namely "No change". Now, if choice 3 read, "Continue to allow lovable, furry animals to be ripped to pieces by a slavering pack of hounds for the enjoyment of a howling mob of upper class twits", perhaps the number of people agreeing with choice 3 might be smaller. :)

darkangel
06-08-2003, 21:43
Originally posted by Theodoric
An interesting choice of words in choice 3, namely "No change". Now, if choice 3 read, "Continue to allow lovable, furry animals to be ripped to pieces by a slavering pack of hounds for the enjoyment of a howling mob of upper class twits", perhaps the number of people agreeing with choice 3 might be smaller. :) howling mob of upper class twits & howling mob of upper class wannabes u mean

TheBig1
06-08-2003, 21:53
one trained marksman can do the job far more efficiently and humanely.

Set the hounds on the hunters I say and see how they get perverse pleasure from that!

kronas
06-08-2003, 22:03
Originally posted by TheBig1

Set the hounds on the hunters I say and see how they get perverse pleasure from that!

what a splendid idea ol' chap :D

An interesting choice of words in choice 3, namely "No change". Now, if choice 3 read, "Continue to allow lovable, furry animals to be ripped to pieces by a slavering pack of hounds for the enjoyment of a howling mob of upper class twits", perhaps the number of people agreeing with choice 3 might be smaller. :)

very true :)

kink
06-08-2003, 22:20

Mmmmm.. yes.. put that way would certainly would change the outcome of the voting..... however, using lovable, furry animals is no less emotive than using wild, destructive vermin to describe foxes :eek:
And i certainly know people who don't consider foxes to be lovable :erm: but simply see them as a threat to their fowl, but then these people also do not ride about on horses in hunting pink and have their dogs savage the fox either.... they attempt to shoot it if it comes near their animals.. which i suppose is reasonable.
The problem is that the word fox has been used in such a pejorative way throughout history that people do not see them as the relavitely innocent creatures that they are... from being sly and cunning to being the devil himself....

What chance do they really have?

darkangel
06-08-2003, 22:26
Originally posted by kink
Mmmmm.. yes.. put that way would certainly would change the outcome of the voting..... however, using lovable, furry animals is no less emotive than using wild, destructive vermin to describe foxes :eek:
And i certainly know people who don't consider foxes to be lovable :erm: but simply see them as a threat to their fowl, but then these people also do not ride about on horses in hunting pink and have their dogs savage the fox either.... they attempt to shoot it if it comes near their animals.. which i suppose is reasonable.
The problem is that the word fox has been used in such a pejorative way throughout history that people do not see them as the relavitely innocent creatures that they are... from being sly and cunning to being the devil himself....

What chance do they really have? maybe it's time farmers improved security on there chicken coups etc, the problem is most farmers see animals as walking meals or the see them as £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ not as living things

kronas
06-08-2003, 22:28
maybe it's time farmers improved security on there chicken coups etc

yep so they should they are the ones who keep going on about how there animals are being attacked or taken away by foxes

the problem is most farmers see animals as walking meals or the see them as £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ not as living things

i think thats unfair most are in there because they like what they do i dont think there is much money in it really..........

kink
06-08-2003, 22:32
maybe it's time farmers improved security on there chicken coups etc, the problem is most farmers see animals as walking meals or the see them as £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ not as living things

Yes they should.... but the people i'm referring to are not farmers as such, but are peasants in another country. The coups are as secure as they can be, but the hens are for their own consumption and the eggs they lay hardly make enough to £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ to do anything much at all.

But i agree with you and those that can, should.

And just so you know, I've always voted to ban fox hunting and always will :)

Theodoric
06-08-2003, 23:14
Originally posted by kink
And i certainly know people who don't consider foxes to be lovable :erm: but simply see them as a threat to their fowl, <Snip>
My point exactly. You need to be very careful in your choice of words in this sort of questionnaire. Personally, I'd have made choice 3, "Allow hunting to continue", then it more nearly matches the words in choice 1.

kink
06-08-2003, 23:27
My point exactly. You need to be very careful in your choice of words in this sort of questionnaire. Personally, I'd have made choice 3, "Allow hunting to continue", then it more nearly matches the words in choice 1.

:D

Sorry.... when i read your post, i heard you advocating the anti-hunt vote.... so interpreted your words that way... i was looking for meaning where there was none. Obviously my own view helped to colour my interpretation ;)

Lets look at it as.... you played to the stalls and boxes.. and i played to the plebs in the slips ;) :p

nighthawk
07-08-2003, 11:55
Fox hunting hapens.. Live with it.

We live in an age that has gone nuts. Everything we do is either Questioned by some Hippy Tree hugger or is made illegal by some stupid European Law.

People are worrying about Killing Foxes & the straigtness of Bannanas (Actual EU Legislation). What about the amout of abused children in the UK, what about all the homeless people?

Should we not sort out these problems before we worry about things like Fox Hunting?

Ramrod
07-08-2003, 12:06
Originally posted by nighthawk

We live in an age that has gone nuts. Everything we do is either Questioned by some Hippy Tree hugger or is made illegal by some stupid European Law.

People are worrying about Killing Foxes & the straigtness of Bannanas (Actual EU Legislation). What about the amout of abused children in the UK, what about all the homeless people?

Should we not sort out these problems before we worry about things like Fox Hunting? True, there are more important things to get heated about but each to their own I suppose.:)

timewarrior2001
07-08-2003, 12:08

Should we not sort out these problems before we worry about things like Fox Hunting?

The point of thematter is, not only are we wanting to ban fox hunting, its a stab at the establishment of the class system that has re-appeared in this country. If the "common" people can force the gov to go against the "toffs" then there will be improvement all round for everything.

Whoever said about farmers and animals being walking meal or cahs, yes that is true of some farmers, this is why we had a) the BSE crisis and b) foot and mouth.
A lot of farmers will not spend any money on their livestock

kink
07-08-2003, 12:47

Yes.... fox hunting happens... but why should we live with it? In that vein.... children are abused daily, bought into slavery and prostitution... should be live with that because it happens? Homeless people are everywhere....should we live with that also?
The answer is obviously no.
The people who care about issues such as animal welfare don't necessarily ignore other issues simply because they care about other forms of life. This thread is about fox hunting... if you start one about child abuse perhaps you'll see the same people take a similar stance.
While i personally don't care about the shape of my bananas.... the fact that the EU does, and does simply for profit, is an argument that some people care about because it's linked to politics and bureaucracy.. and affects all of us in the wider sense.

These people who are choosing to do something about fox hunting cannot be criticised for being pro-active about something they care about. We don't know that they are NOT doing other things about other important issues.

The question is... what are YOU doing to help stop child abuse and homelessness?

Stuart
07-08-2003, 21:14
While I am not a protester against fox hunting, I do agree it should be banned. Partly because it is cruel to the fox (which, let's face it, spends the last few minutes of it's life terrified and in great pain),and partly because I have seen (on photos admittedly) what the hounds do if the fox escapes. Put simply, they are worked up into such a frenzy that they will kill ANY animal, including pets.

Apart from those two, as a race, we seem to be striving for efficiency in all things. How is it efficient to have 1 fox chased by upto 20 people on horse, and god knows how many hounds?

I am not denying foxes are vermin, but surely the marksman idea suggested earlier is more efficient.

Lew
09-08-2003, 14:53
Originally posted by morris
look vermin up in the dictionary and you will see the word fox. i don't like fox hunting but they are vermin. are you as much against killing rats as you are with foxes?

When was the last time a bunch of toffs went out on horseback with a pack of hounds on a rat hunt?

kink
09-08-2003, 15:15
Originally posted by Mimizuku no Lew
When was the last time a bunch of toffs went out on horseback with a pack of hounds on a rat hunt?

Ah.. but that would be murder...... killing one of your own... :naughty: :p

Lord Nikon
09-08-2003, 17:05
Hey, kink, how come you are insulting rats?

kink
09-08-2003, 17:17
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
Hey, kink, how come you are insulting rats?

Ok nikki... point taken.. before my offensive comment gets modded....

Sorry, to all the rats on the forum and i know there are a few........ no offence intended :p ;)