PDA

View Full Version : removing factory fitted corsa radio/cass

gavnad
06-08-2004, 17:14
a straightforward job you would think?

i am trying to replace the radio but the wiring harness is too short thus preventing me removing the radio fully to disconnect the harness

does anyone have any hints as to how i proceed

any help greatly appreciated

SMHarman
06-08-2004, 17:31
Does the pax side, side panel to the centre console come off easily, that normally the access route into these things.

Once you have it out, the new radio will have a custom plug, and connect to the car ISO blocks so give you an extra few CMs cable to make replacement easier.

Vauxhall normally need the cont live and switch live reversing to be compliant with the norm, check this before you get it all fully back in place.

paulyoung666
06-08-2004, 17:33
is there no way that you can reach around the dash to disconnect it ????????? :)

SMHarman
06-08-2004, 17:46
Another thought, go to your local library (that place with lots of books the internet is supposed to replace) and see if they have the Haynes manual for your car.

paulyoung666
06-08-2004, 17:47
Another thought, go to your local library (that place with lots of books the internet is supposed to replace) and see if they have the Haynes manual for your car.

good point , you cant go to halfords anymore and ' thumb the book ' they are shrink wrapped nowadays :D :D :D :D

gavnad
07-08-2004, 14:11
aint tried the console thing worth a look tho!

tried unplugging the harness from behind but its so cramped cant get at it properly

ZrByte
07-08-2004, 14:20
Im glad this thread came up, Im getting a car soon and a corsa seems to be the most likely car I will be getting, since most second hand corsas come with either Radio/cas or nothing at all I am planning to fit an MP3 compatible CD player. Probably would have stumped me if I hadnt seen this thread first :)

dilli-theclaw
07-08-2004, 14:22
I had an awful time getting my missus' old stero out of her peugeot... But it lost the argument with my large screwdriver and hammer...

Ok so there's not much left of the original stereo - but I got it out.

Then all I had to do was buy a iso adaptor and it was plain sailing from then on.

gavnad
07-08-2004, 14:24
well ive only had mine a couple of months 2001 x reg old shape 1200 injection ...great little car to drive...nippy...suspensions poor but im no speedster so really enjoy driving it

Feenix
08-08-2004, 00:42
the ffstereo on my gf's 2001 X-reg 1.2i just pulls out - the radio cage has the harness attached to it not the stereo itself.
She has also dropped it about 30mm and put 17's on it :shocked: Drives like a roller-skate now woot!

gavnad
09-08-2004, 19:45
spot on info feenix....the problem was i was pulling the cage with the radio...once i managed to pull the radio and leave the cage behind all became apparent...only problem i now have how to get the old harness and iso adapter in and the radio behind it...i sure with a bit of force i'll manage....once again thanks for all the help guys

Feenix
09-08-2004, 21:38
Glad I could help :)

I remember having a whale of a time :rolleyes: fitting all the adapters and connectors behind the new stereo - but with a bit of fiddling and twisting it will all go in. Don't forget to check out the aerial connection to make sure it will fit you new head unit.

th'engineer
13-08-2004, 09:23
You can get to the harness from behind the passenger tray without removing anything unplug the harness from the cage get an extension from halfords.
Remove original cage with undoing centre screw in the middle.
Its easy :D

Jimlad06
02-05-2006, 14:05
There is no need to go routing around the back of the dash in order to remove the stereo or even the cage. Both new and old style of car standard stereos require a 2mm hex (Allen) key and a set of 'din' keys, for old models, or 'double din' keys.
On the facia of the stereo there are 4 black grub screws, remove these with your hex key exposing 4 holes. Insert your din keys and push in until they click. Push the exposed ends towards the doors of your car and pull. 2-5 minutes, Job Done
IF YOU DO NOT PUSH THE KEYS APART (towards your doors) THE STEREO GOES NOWHERE!
The keys can be bought from halfords for a couple of quid although more than likely if you ask politely they'll just pop the stereo out for you.

There are 3 different parts to getting the cage out and you will need only 2 tools. A small flat headed screwdriver and a PH2 screwdriver (phillips/cross head)
1. The arial connector and cable harness are connected to the back of the cage by small clips. Use the flat headed screwdriver to push these in a slide the connectors out the back of the cage.
2. There is a small screw at the back and in the middle of the cage. This is easily removed with your cross headed screwdriver.
3.Around the outside of the cage there are little tabs that have been pushed behind the dash. Use the flatheaded screwdriver to bend these tabs back up and with a little bit of gentle pursuasion the cage will come free. This is the same for both new and old corsa's the only difference is in the new one there is more room to work.

Hope this helps

Oh and always check what adapters you need for you new stereo. For example a pioneer head unit doesnt need a new ISO lead but just to swap the acc and 12v leads (yellow and red) on the existing harness. Best bet is just to ask the fella in Halfords or local stereo shop. And in the new corsa's you'll need a facia adapter (around £10-£15) which you can buy from halfords or places like www.caraudiosecurity.com (http://www.caraudiosecurity.com)

Enuff
02-05-2006, 14:17
There is no need to go routing around the back of the dash in order to remove the stereo or even the cage. Both new and old style of car standard stereos require a 2mm hex (Allen) key and a set of 'din' keys, for old models, or 'double din' keys.
On the facia of the stereo there are 4 black grub screws, remove these with your hex key exposing 4 holes. Insert your din keys and push in until they click. Push the exposed ends towards the doors of your car and pull. 2-5 minutes, Job Done
IF YOU DO NOT PUSH THE KEYS APART (towards your doors) THE STEREO GOES NOWHERE!
The keys can be bought from halfords for a couple of quid although more than likely if you ask politely they'll just pop the stereo out for you.

There are 3 different parts to getting the cage out and you will need only 2 tools. A small flat headed screwdriver and a PH2 screwdriver (phillips/cross head)
1. The arial connector and cable harness are connected to the back of the cage by small clips. Use the flat headed screwdriver to push these in a slide the connectors out the back of the cage.
2. There is a small screw at the back and in the middle of the cage. This is easily removed with your cross headed screwdriver.
3.Around the outside of the cage there are little tabs that have been pushed behind the dash. Use the flatheaded screwdriver to bend these tabs back up and with a little bit of gentle pursuasion the cage will come free. This is the same for both new and old corsa's the only difference is in the new one there is more room to work.

Hope this helps

Oh and always check what adapters you need for you new stereo. For example a pioneer head unit doesnt need a new ISO lead but just to swap the acc and 12v leads (yellow and red) on the existing harness. Best bet is just to ask the fella in Halfords or local stereo shop. And in the new corsa's you'll need a facia adapter (around £10-£15) which you can buy from halfords or places like www.caraudiosecurity.com (http://www.caraudiosecurity.com):welcome: Excellent first post Jimlad06!

Chris
02-05-2006, 14:30
:welcome: Excellent first post Jimlad06!

And a solid contender for :bump: of the Year, as well. ;) :D

Xaccers
02-05-2006, 17:39
Would anyone happen to have the software to work out the security code on a Blaupunkt car radio?
I've got a 97 Xantia which I need to change the battery on, and I don't have the code, and would rather not pay the £15-£20 that Citroen say they'll charge to look it up.
If someone does, I'll pull the radio out tomorrow and get the serial number.

Enuff
02-05-2006, 17:56
Would anyone happen to have the software to work out the security code on a Blaupunkt car radio?
I've got a 97 Xantia which I need to change the battery on, and I don't have the code, and would rather not pay the £15-£20 that Citroen say they'll charge to look it up.
If someone does, I'll pull the radio out tomorrow and get the serial number.This (http://www.floodle.net/extra/ebayinfo/car_radio_decode.html) might help?

NiGHTSJOD
31-10-2009, 13:56
Extra, Newbie bump!!! :D

I'm having a bit of trouble with the g/f's stereo. She has a 97 Corsa City 5 door and I have removed the radio without issue (Using a cut up coat hanger for DINs :p:). The only issue is with the electrics which seem to be moulded into a block of three rows (The two usual stereo ones and then a slightly longer one). As a result, I need an adaptor. However, the adaptor I got in Halfords here (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 4798_langId_-1_categoryId_165626), didn't actually fit even though it's supposed to be for the corsa. My friend put a radio adaptor from a Golf into it and, while it worked, it simply ate away at the battery.

Any ideas what I should do? Do I have to rewire anything?