PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 Now Its Gone Back To 1 Meg Help??

jasonjbj
05-08-2004, 14:36
modem rebooted its self last night and i had 1.5 ,
today had power cut and had to re start everything and it had gone back to
1 meg
phoned ntl and they said tough in many words
people in leicester should have not been upgraded ,and they said they had
sent signals out to put it back to 1 meg ??
so i will have to wait !!how bad is that !
any ideals of better service from any other companys?

etccarmageddon
05-08-2004, 14:38
send a PM to BBKING - he might be able to shed some light on it.

Bifta
05-08-2004, 14:39
modem rebooted its self last night and i had 1.5 ,
today had power cut and had to re start everything and it had gone back to
1 meg
phoned ntl and they said tough in many words
people in leicester should have not been upgraded ,and they said they had
sent signals out to put it back to 1 meg ??
so i will have to wait !!how bad is that !
any ideals of better service from any other companys?

You can probably get a 2 meg ADSL service for not much more than you pay NTL for 1/1.5 meg.

Kliro
05-08-2004, 14:40
:o Thats not very nice, so they told you that they put it back because they upgraded you by accident??

Cant see a reson really, but then again I know nothing at all about the NTL networks, maybe it was damaging something?

There has to be some sort of legitimate reason, well al least you'd think so :confused:

jasonjbj
05-08-2004, 14:41
in leicester not found any more than 1 meg any one know who does them ,back to topic they said if i had not rebooted (ench power cut it would have stayed on 1.5 )just can not get my head around it !!1 min i have it !then i dont!!thanks for fast replys!!i did all the speed checks and 1.5 after reboot speed back to 1 meg ,took 50 mins on the phone to get no where with them ,i did say to them if i had not rebooted would i have been on 1.5 still and they said yes ,then sent a signal to the modem to put be back to 1 meg when it was switched back on ,will be looking for other companys or can offer 1.5 upwards in leicester

Ignition
05-08-2004, 15:22
Some areas are for various reasons much more difficult to upgrade than others, and the upgrades aren't going out to areas unless the company is quite sure there is the capacity there to keep the service good at the higher speeds, that's basically the story.

You should not have received the upgrade to begin with, think for various technical reasons there was a small window where people who rebooted would have received upgrade but lost it again on a reboot of the modem in areas that should not have received upgrade to begin with.

Interesting someone wanting to leave because of not receiving a free upgrade, I can understand the frustration though.

As far as help goes, can't give any besides the above explanation and profuse apologies.

jasonjbj
05-08-2004, 16:13
thanks for the advice
thats not just the problem i have had with ntl
many more issues with modem going off ,resetting its self ,etc
other than that they are okay !lol!
the guy was just very rude and did not give a toss and it put me in a mood for the day!!

Stop It
05-08-2004, 21:11
Some areas are for various reasons much more difficult to upgrade than others, and the upgrades aren't going out to areas unless the company is quite sure there is the capacity there to keep the service good at the higher speeds, that's basically the story.

You should not have received the upgrade to begin with, think for various technical reasons there was a small window where people who rebooted would have received upgrade but lost it again on a reboot of the modem in areas that should not have received upgrade to begin with.

Interesting someone wanting to leave because of not receiving a free upgrade, I can understand the frustration though.

As far as help goes, can't give any besides the above explanation and profuse apologies.
Understood, but disagree, If NTL made the mistake of upping peoples speeds accidentally, at least TELL them this fact, before shoving them back down again, at leats the customer would understand. nothing worse than someone holding out a lolly, then taking it back when you've had a taste.

Tiberian
05-08-2004, 22:53
so out of intrest is there a link to somewhere that will tell me what places have recived the upgrade (im in ng19 mansfield woodhouse nottinghamshire btw)

Paul
05-08-2004, 23:01
so out of intrest is there a link to somewhere that will tell me what places have recived the upgrade (im in ng19 mansfield woodhouse nottinghamshire btw)
As far as I know all users on the Nottingham network have been upgraded.

Electrolyte01
05-08-2004, 23:01
I had best make sure my modem doesn't turn off then, according to NTL's website I'm not supposed to get my upgrade till October :erm: :erm: :erm:

Shaun
05-08-2004, 23:22
You can probably get a 2 meg ADSL service for not much more than you pay NTL for 1/1.5 meg.

www.bulldogdsl.com

:D

I'm in Leicester and I find Bulldogs service great :)

Nidge
06-08-2004, 11:17
I got this from pcpitstop.com.

Download Speed 871 Kilobits/second
Download Test Size 402 KBytes
Download Time 3.688 seconds
Receive Buffer Size default size

Feenix
06-08-2004, 15:54

yep - though not sure how accurate it is Speed Upgrade Checker (http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/upgrade/checker.php)

Chrysalis
07-08-2004, 09:42
hmmm I am not at hom at the moment but I know my modem hasnt been reset, so the postcode checker was right then maybe???? and leicester isnt officially upgraded. What I dont understand is the following.

1 - last month leicester had a network upgrade, which was presumably to prepare us for the upgrade if this wasn't enough why wasn't more done in the same maintenance window.

2 - We got upgraded accidently and I did a speed test there was no problem if its working why not just leave it.

3 - If I leave my modem on will ntl force a reboot.

Have to say waiting longer for upgrade is bad enough but been given it and then taken back again isnt very nice at all.

Jon T
07-08-2004, 10:08

Well i'm in Oak Tree(NG18) and i was done on the 2nd August as were a few people I know from Forest Town, Mansfield Woodhouse, Ladybrook and Sutton.

Jon

Chris W
07-08-2004, 10:18
2 - We got upgraded accidently and I did a speed test there was no problem if its working why not just leave it.

just because you didn't have any problems, doesn't mean that other people didnt. there is no point upgrading an area until the new speeds can be supplied to EVERYONE in the area as they should be

matrix
07-08-2004, 12:08
my friend has 1mbit and his is still at 1.5mbit (checked yday), leicester area.

andrew_wallasey
07-08-2004, 13:06
Upgrade done in Wallasey (Wirral) and Bromley platform.

Chrysalis
07-08-2004, 19:06
back home now and I am still upgraded, wont be rebooting my modem any time soon.

Stags
09-08-2004, 12:08
Very Strange im in Mansfield Woodhouse and on 1 meg 2 of my next door neighbours are also on 1 meg, they have been upgraded to 1.5 meg but not me.

How come any ideas.

Paul
09-08-2004, 12:12
Very Strange im in Mansfield Woodhouse and on 1 meg 2 of my next door neighbours are also on 1 meg, they have been upgraded to 1.5 meg but not me.

How come any ideas.

Have you re-booted your Cable Modem ?

Stags
09-08-2004, 12:20
Ive switched it off(taken the power cable and other leads out )
if thats what you mean. its a sb4100

Ben
09-08-2004, 12:36
Ive switched it off(taken the power cable and other leads out )
if thats what you mean. its a sb4100

DO you not need the new samsung box before the increase comes through? :confused:

Stags
09-08-2004, 12:40
i dont know, can someone confirm this. ive had this modem since ntl boardband first started.

Ben
09-08-2004, 12:51
i dont know, can someone confirm this. ive had this modem since ntl boardband first started.
Ohh..

you have a SACM :rolleyes: Me not reading properly :D No it should be working then.. unless your area hasn't been done yet :eek:

Stags
09-08-2004, 12:53
It must be in my area. this was my original message.

How come any ideas.

Ben
09-08-2004, 12:55

How come any ideas.

If you have performed a reboot and it still has not come through all you can do is either wait or phone them and ask wtf is going on.

Tiberian
10-08-2004, 19:49

How come any ideas.
im in woodhouse mines fine now, the modem also rebooted its self at 2am on the 1st.. how ever it did not seem to have been upgraded to start with but now its fine (thats why i made my original post ;) )