PDA

View Full Version : mailbox is over the high water mark

meself
01-08-2003, 17:34
Hi all

At 11.06am I received the following mail form †œour lords and mastersââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚:-

†œYour mailbox is over the high water mark.
Please delete some messages from your mailbox!ââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚

This appears to have been caused by just one mail, which was 4738kb.

Iâ₠™ve since completely emptied my NTCrap mail box but people are still telling me that their mail to me is being returned.

Any ideaâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s as this is causing quite some frustration at the moment
:shrug:

Steve H
01-08-2003, 17:41
That might just be the Mail servers, and have nothing to do with the notification you receieved...:shrug:

meself
01-08-2003, 17:45
Thanks fer the quick reply Steve

:spin: :wavey:

meself
01-08-2003, 19:42
Hi Andre

Done that the minute I got the message from NTCrap and some of my mail is still being bounced back to the senderÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦Ã ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã ‚¦Ã¢ââ⠬šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦othe r mail is getting through ok though:spin: :shrug:

fraz
01-08-2003, 22:27
Originally posted by meself
Hi Andre

Done that the minute I got the message from NTCrap and some of my mail is still being bounced back to the senderÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦Ã ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã ‚¦Ã¢ââ⠬šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦othe r mail is getting through ok though:spin: :shrug:
Have you emptied your trash folder ??

meself
01-08-2003, 23:21
Hi Fraz

In options I have my mail set to †œForward, then discardââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚ so my trash is (should) always be empty.

Something is definitely wrong as I am not getting my mail sent/forwarded immediately to Outlook Express as usually happens.

I only just got notification of your reply at 11.16pm although you sent it at 10.27pm and this only happened when I opened Web Mail as I had previously realised that I was ONLY getting mail via Outlook Express after I had accessed Web Mail:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

leagle
02-01-2006, 11:27
I am beginning to suffer from high water mark warnings and my correspondents are experiencing troubles in sending stuff to me.

How can I look at the NTLworld mail Server directly and see what space is being taken by my mail right now?? Is there a way to do that ??

Paul K
02-01-2006, 11:29
Probably but why not just delete some of your email? Make sure your trash can/ deleted items is empty too.
Personally I set up my Outlook/ Outlook Express to download my mail from the server so it can't complain like that.

IanUK
02-01-2006, 11:36
Do NTL still only allow 10mb per email account ?

Thats a pathetic amount these days if so, surely they are the lowest space provider of any ISP ?

Paul K
02-01-2006, 11:45
Why is it pathetic? There are many ways of making sure that you never exceed 10Mbs on your email account (which is nothing to do with the 55Mb of webspace you get with the main NTL account) and if you want more space then Gmail etc are more than enough space for many people.

MovedGoalPosts
02-01-2006, 11:57
It's worth ensuring that you don't leave email on the server too long after you have downloaded it.

In Outlook Express - under Tools > Accounts > Properties (for an account) check the advanced tab.

Of course if you are being sent large emails with big attachments (such as photos) you can find your space limited.

LenMackin
02-01-2006, 12:52
10mb is a wee bit small to be honest. In the last year I have noticed that several times I have hit the high water mark. I think in my case I have my work email redirected to home (as well as office) so that I have a back up copy. Several colleages now send documents that are in excess of 2mb at a time. Often I have to log on to my ntl webmail from work and delete rubbish so that I don't hit the high level.

Another 10mb would be a help. But I can manage otherwise (yes I deleat from the server everytime Outlook check for mail before anyone suggests that).

Graham M
02-01-2006, 14:09
Tell em to use www.yousendit.com or similar

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

https://www.yousendit.com/ if it needs to be secure

leagle
02-01-2006, 14:18
The problem is that some friends are sending me mails with legitimate attachments that can blow the 10 mb limi; e.g., scanned birth certificates and photo album pages for family history research.

Will increase my auto-download and delete from server frequency settings to once every 5 mins and see if that helps.

Also thanks for the webmail tip.

Paul K
02-01-2006, 15:12
Leagle, why not just get a gmail account and ask your friends to send the big attachments there? You get more than enough space from Google.

simbr
02-01-2006, 15:27
If a single message caused the problem and the email size was 4738kb (bear in mind that email size will be bigger than the attachment size - an attachment of something like 6.75MB will fill a 10MB mailbox) then there must have been other mail in the account at the time - it may be worth checking your trash folder as this counts towards your total.
If you want to keep an eye on exactly what you have in your webmail folders then there's an excellent freeware utility available called IMAPsize (http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/) (just point it towards imap.ntlworld.com)

leagle
02-01-2006, 16:32
Thanks for the IMAPsize link and pointer, Simbr. That seems to be a great tool.

Sadly, Paul, Gmail seems closed to new users? See here: http://www.google.com/mail/help/about.html#signup

turbulentone
02-01-2006, 17:10
Pm me an email address and I'll send you an invite for an account

Maggy
02-01-2006, 20:23
I too have 100 gmail invites...

IanUK
02-01-2006, 20:35
Why is it pathetic?

Its way too small thats why, even getting a few 6 megapixel camera photos sent to you will soon overwhelm that amount, GMail and similar altternatives give much more for free, Wanadoo and BT give a hundred meg - it seems that NTL really don't want you to use email, the days of the odd text email message are well gone for many of us :)

leagle
02-01-2006, 21:08
Have posted private reply with my ntlworld email address.

Leads to question 2: can I use the Eudora client to run both NTLworld and GMail accounts together? I imagine I can .... just not sure where to start ... and yes, I'd rather not migrate off Eudora unless compelled to, it works well for me.

Paul K
02-01-2006, 21:15
If eudora can run multiple email accounts then you can access Gmail through it as it offers POP access.

Configuring your email client: Eudora 5.1 (Sponsored & Paid Modes)
# Open Eudora.
# Click the 'Tools' menu, and select 'Personalities.'
# Right-click in the "Personalities" box, and select 'New.' (The 'New Account Wizard' guides you through the set-up process.)
# Use the following settings:

* Personality Name: Enter an account name in the 'Personality Name:' field, and click 'Next.'
* Account Settings: select 'Create a brand new email account,' and click 'Next.'
* Personal Information: Enter your name in the 'Your Name: field,' and click 'Next.'
* Email Address: Enter your full Google Mail email address (username@googlemail.com) in the 'Email Address:' field, and click 'Next.'
* Login Name: Enter your Google Mail username (including '@googlemail.com') in the 'Login Name:' field, and click 'Next.'
* Incoming Email Server: Enter 'pop.googlemail.com' in the 'Incoming' field (check that 'POP' is selected at the bottom of the dialogue box), and click 'Next.'
* Outgoing Email Server: enter 'smtp.googlemail.com' in the 'Outgoing' field.
* Tick the box next to 'Allow authentication,' and click 'Next.'

# Click 'Finish.'
# Right-click on the personality you just created, and select 'Properties.'
# Set 'Secure Sockets when Sending' to 'Required, Alternate Port.'
# Open the 'Incoming Mail' tab at the top of the dialogue box.
# Set 'Secure Sockets when Receiving' to 'Required, Alternate Port.'
# Click 'OK.'

* Did you click 'Save Changes' after enabling POP in Google Mail? To ensure that Google Mail can communicate with your mail client, be sure to click 'Save Changes' on the Google Mail 'Mail Settings' page.

turbulentone
02-01-2006, 22:34
Have posted private reply with my ntlworld email address.

Leads to question 2: can I use the Eudora client to run both NTLworld and GMail accounts together? I imagine I can .... just not sure where to start ... and yes, I'd rather not migrate off Eudora unless compelled to, it works well for me.

Invite sent

leagle
03-01-2006, 15:25
Sadly, neither of the Gmail invites that I was sent worked, in terms of my applications being accepted by Google; oh well ....:confused:

Thanks anyway for the support!

Maggy
04-01-2006, 19:27
Right does anyone know why the Gmail invite I sent to leagle didn't work?Has anyone else sent an invite out that hasn't worked?:erm:

homealone
04-01-2006, 19:51
Right does anyone know why the Gmail invite I sent to leagle didn't work?Has anyone else sent an invite out that hasn't worked?:erm:

I wonder if it is anything to do with the change of name to Googlemail, rather than Gmail, in the UK???

- they certainly are giving no more Gmail addys out, but I would have thought they could handle issuing a Googlemail addy, from a Gmail invite???

Otherwise, not a clue, leagle said the other invite didn't work, either, so it isn't just you, Incog :)