PDA

View Full Version : A bit of sympathy for Frank

Tristan
21-06-2003, 22:44
I have to say, I really feel sorry for the guy. He did a great job with NTHW.com. He took a lot of flak for selling up, but I really beleive that he thought he could make a difference.

However, it seems that the decisions regarding Community have been taken out of his hands, and now he has to watch his baby die as people come over here instead.

Well, three cheers for Frank for doing a great job under difficult circumstances for so long.

kronas
21-06-2003, 22:45
i dont have much sympathy for him he sold out im sure he knew what could happen to the site when he sold it............

grum1978
21-06-2003, 22:46
Originally posted by Tristan
I have to say, I really feel sorry for the guy. He did a great job with NTHW.com. He took a lot of flak for selling up, but I really beleive that he thought he could make a difference.

However, it seems that the decisions regarding Community have been taken out of his hands, and now he has to watch his baby die as people come over here instead.

Well, three cheers for Frank for doing a great job under difficult circumstances for so long.

yes frank did/does a great job he is a top man :D

ntlrebel
21-06-2003, 22:48
Sorry no sympathy from me either.:rolleyes:
Frank sold out, bottom line sorry. What did he think they would do.:shrug: No sign of any mods on THAT site today I wonder why.
All waiting to see if the grass is going to be greener.:mad:

Florence
21-06-2003, 22:50
Is it not Frank that has been workingon the comunity anyway. Isn't he the one doing it.

I am confused now I am sure I read it was his baby. I have posted my last on hthellworld.com as I don't want to be in for the death of a good forum. It was working helping the customers.

I have watched to many ISP forums mess the customers around to have faith in the new community. When the chips are down these ISps close their forums to stop the posts until its sorted.

King Blimp
21-06-2003, 22:52
Got to agree whith Kronas and ntlrebel, Frank did a great service in keeping NTL under pressure until he sold out to NTL.

To think that NTL would keep the site independant was naive at best....

kronas
21-06-2003, 22:54
Originally posted by King Blimp
Got to agree whith Kronas and ntlrebel, Frank did a great service in keeping NTL under pressure until he sold out to NTL.

To think that NTL would keep the site independant was naive at best....

indeed i willl credit the man he did create a great site but he sold it and it is now in the hands of NTL they have decided to close it i was never infavor of the plan of NTL buying the site as i saw it it was matter of time before NTL put an end to it

Escapee
21-06-2003, 22:55
I don't think we can lay all the blame at Frank's door, we dont know what failed promises that ntl management may of made him.

For all we know they could of promised him the earth and then possibly they went back on their words. It's not unusual in large corporations for individuals to be part of a larger agenda and not realise thinking they have the full story.

Would ntl do that?

kronas
21-06-2003, 22:57
Originally posted by Catapan
I don't think we can lay all the blame at Frank's door, we dont know what failed promises that ntl management may of made him.

For all we know they could of promised him the earth and then possibly they went back on their words. It's not unusual in large corporations to be part of a larger agenda and not realise.

your having a laugh this is NTL we are talking about remember the same company that likes to screw its customers just so they can pay the corporate fat cats wages would you trust there word i would NOT

King Blimp
21-06-2003, 22:57
It will be interesting to see if NTL decide to unleash the lawyers to shut this site up...

Ramrod
21-06-2003, 22:59
How much did Frank get?

Escapee
your having a laugh this is NTL we are talking about

Hi Kronas, I was having a tongue in cheek pop at ntl;)

what_happend?
If a company offerd you a bundle of cash and a full time job for some web site you set for a moan who here would not sell ? I would that's for sure.

Sites are easily set up, take this one for example. He hasn't let anyone down, he looked after himself, which is what we all do everyday.

I think Franks done well, we all now have this site, thanks to the guys that set this up.:)

kronas
21-06-2003, 23:00
Originally posted by Catapan
Hi Kronas, I was having a tongue in cheek pop at ntl;)

cool np :)

Miss NTL
21-06-2003, 23:01
"Frank" ain't a listed member of this site but his name is reserved here.

Welcome home Frank.

J

cjll3
21-06-2003, 23:06
Given that the mod team here are anonymous but appear to be losely affiliated with the .com team who's to say that Frank isn't busy grinning behind ntl's back?

Miss NTL
21-06-2003, 23:06
Originally posted by Ramrod
How much did Frank get?

My foot is better darling.

J

Miss NTL
21-06-2003, 23:10
Originally posted by ntlrebel
:shrug: No sign of any mods on THAT site today I wonder why.

not true darling, CJ edited a couple of posts

Ramrod
21-06-2003, 23:11
Originally posted by Miss NTL
not enough to sell out for, but then I dont know his personal circumstances

J glad to hear it:)

ntlrebel
21-06-2003, 23:11
The site isn't to be closed.:rolleyes: But only for non ntl topical subjects and not direct technical help via ntl staff. The community site is to be monitored by ntl staff as part of their day to day job. Which they are paid for. The ntl community liasons were offering help during work and out of works hours for free because they want to help. We have been told that we will not be able to post on the new community sitesite. Only level 3 tech's will have this facility. And there isn't many of these, let me tell you. So we'll just have to watch that space..:p :p

grum1978
21-06-2003, 23:13

J

how do you know thats how much he got?

ntlrebel
21-06-2003, 23:14
not true darling, CJ edited a couple of posts

Edited.:shrug: Not making any comments though. Why.:shrug:
Going to sell out like Frank probably. This is for the mods.:walk:

paulyoung666
21-06-2003, 23:16
Originally posted by kronas
i dont have much sympathy for him he sold out im sure he knew what could happen to the site when he sold it............

but would have you done the same as him or not , would you have held out , answers on a postcard please :p :p :p

bo-peep
21-06-2003, 23:20
but wot did he do with the money me wonders.any guesses?

Ramrod
21-06-2003, 23:27
Originally posted by paulyoung666
but would have you done the same as him or not , would you have held out , answers on a postcard please :p :p :p
I'd have held out for more money:D

handyman
21-06-2003, 23:31
popped it in the bank, went on holiday what do you care? Frank selling the site was before you and kronas registered. I joined around the time it was started and i don't blame him. If it was 20k? and a good job in internet dev at major cable co then i would be there in a shot. He has been given the opportunity to make a difference and to get peoples problems sorted by doing this. I will reserve judgement till community though.

And lets not forget the little fiasco this afternoon franky I aint heard form yah yet. That will go further.

peterska2
21-06-2003, 23:59
craig is around over there today.

threads deleted - his favorite

but frank did a great job.

cheers frank :beer:

Jonboy
22-06-2003, 00:13
imho
frank done a fine job with the tools he had we all said at the time things would go down the pan when it changed hands
good on yer frank good luck for the future and remember as they say everything in life has its price it just depends what you want to settle for hope to see you on here soon :wavey:

Nor
22-06-2003, 00:14
Frank is a top man. Anyone who thinks they'd not have done exactly the same as him are kidding themselves.

grum1978
22-06-2003, 00:16
Originally posted by Nor
Frank is a top man. Anyone who thinks they'd not have done exactly the same as him are kidding themselves.

someone with sense at last:D :wavey:

homealone
22-06-2003, 00:28
Originally posted by handyman
popped it in the bank, went on holiday what do you care? Frank selling the site was before you and kronas registered. I joined around the time it was started and i don't blame him. If it was 20k? and a good job in internet dev at major cable co then i would be there in a shot. He has been given the opportunity to make a difference and to get peoples problems sorted by doing this. I will reserve judgement till community though.

And lets not forget the little fiasco this afternoon franky I aint heard form yah yet. That will go further.

I dunno wot you mean? care to elaborate before your eyebrows vanish altogether? :)

Gaz

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 00:44
Originally posted by peterska2
craig is around over there today.

threads deleted - his favorite

but frank did a great job.

cheers frank :beer:

Do I assume from this that Craig (I am assuming Craig J? as that is the only mod I have seen there called craig) would not be quite as welcome here? or perhaps not trusted with as great a level of power?

Only guessing as I have no idea who he is really, just thought it merited a closer look

obvious
22-06-2003, 00:48
Russ Says Frank IS here.

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64

kronas
22-06-2003, 01:00
Originally posted by paulyoung666

yeah i would have as im an honest person id rather fight the cause

kronas
22-06-2003, 01:02
Originally posted by handyman
popped it in the bank, went on holiday what do you care? Frank selling the site was before you and kronas registered.

whats that got to do with it i lurked for a full year before i registered i know what happened

peterska2
22-06-2003, 01:15
Originally posted by obvious
Russ Says Frank IS here.

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64

i thought as much.

wherever your hiding frank it's good to see you. :wavey:

scrotnig
22-06-2003, 01:18
Full respect to Frank, he was offered money and a job for what was his hobby. I'd have done the same, and full marks to him for taking rapid advantage.

Now there is a replica site...this one....which we can all be bought of now the original nthw as we knew it is finally going to die.

nthw is dead...long live nthw!

carlingman
22-06-2003, 01:36
Originally posted by Mark B
Full respect to Frank, he was offered money and a job for what was his hobby. I'd have done the same, and full marks to him for taking rapid advantage.

Now there is a replica site...this one....which we can all be bought of now the original nthw as we knew it is finally going to die.

Have to echo that, most people would have done the same if they are honest and sold out.

Although we have assurances thats not gonna happen here.

I notice over there tonight the Mods are taking a bit of a back seat to see which side the grass is greener on in my opinion.

We had some defence from Neil saying Craig J broadband had gone done etc but it had only gone down enough to stop him posting replies not enough to stop him editing posts ???

Hmm the mind boggles.

:)

dd2k
22-06-2003, 01:38
cheers Frank:beer:

You were right to sell nthellworld.com, but what ntl have done was a dirty trick, but hey whats new

good luck mate.

Roy MM
22-06-2003, 01:41
So if CJ's BB had gone down i quick phone call could have got him OIA that i use and he started on, and i Admin a vbulletin forum using the same!! nuff said. :(

Jamie
22-06-2003, 02:19
Any critics might want to think that if it wasn't for Frank this site probably would not exist now.

As for the guessing games about who we are - we didn't expect to launch the site yesterday and we are still working on getting it to where we want it for every one of you. We are working very hard and burning the candle at both ends to get there. When we have finished there will be plenty of time for us to get to know each other. When we have finished we will be asking you what you would like to see on this site, and if its doable we will do it for you.

There is some speculation about who is on this site - we would love to have the people who moderate the .com site on here but so far we haven't seen one of them registering. This site will hopefully build on what Frank Whitestone created and with the help of every member and the moderators here become even bigger and even better. This site is your site - we will just try our best to make it what you want and expect.

We hope that we can live up to the high standards set by the .com site started by Frank Whitestone. We know we have some way to go and are doing our best. We hope that the members of this site will help and support us along the way.

Have fun and enjoy the site.

Ben
22-06-2003, 02:21
Originally posted by Jamie

I can't stress this enough :) and as Jamie has said the sites here for you, the members. ;)

kronas
22-06-2003, 02:22
Any critics might want to think that if it wasn't for Frank this site probably would not exist now.

As for the guessing games about who we are - we didn't expect to launch the site yesterday and we are still working on getting it to where we want it for every one of you. We are working very hard and burning the candle at both ends to get there. When we have finished there will be plenty of time for us to get to know each other. When we have finished we will be asking you what you would like to see on this site, and if its doable we will do it for you.

There is some speculation about who is on this site - we would love to have the people who moderate the .com site on here but so far we haven't seen one of them registering. This site will hopefully build on what Frank Whitestone created and with the help of every member and the moderators here become even bigger and even better. This site is your site - we will just try our best to make it what you wantand expect.

We hope that we can live up to the high standards set by the .com site started by Frank Whitestone. We know we have some way to go and are doing our best. We hope that the members of this site will help and support us along the way.

glad to hear that i would just like to say you guys have done a great job and i enjoy this site very much even though its only been up for a few days i have settled in nicely and the atmosphere seems great

thanks to all the people behind the scenes who have created this site :tu:

Temporal
22-06-2003, 02:35
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
Do I assume from this that Craig (I am assuming Craig J? as that is the only mod I have seen there called craig) would not be quite as welcome here? or perhaps not trusted with as great a level of power?

Only guessing as I have no idea who he is really, just thought it merited a closer look

In all dealings with him over the years I have a lot of respect from Craig - modding/admininstrating a forum is not easy and Craig was the most public face over there. He may have made some bad decisions - but hey who doesn't? I'd gladly welcome him onto any forum.

Temporal
22-06-2003, 02:38
Originally posted by Gandalf
I can't stress this enough :) and as Jamie has said the sites here for you, the members. ;)

The work you guys have put in is certainly well appreciated! Keep it up!

scrotnig
22-06-2003, 02:39
Originally posted by Temporal
In all dealings with him over the years I have a lot of respect from Craig - modding/admininstrating a forum is not easy and Craig was the most public face over there. He may have made some bad decisions - but hey who doesn't? I'd gladly welcome him onto any forum.

Me too....(AOL).

Craig has taken a lot of unnecessary stick, moderating a forum is absolutely NOT easy, especially not one as busy and contentious as nthw.

Whether or not Craig turns up here, both he and Neil deserve praise for the work they did on the old site.

Richard M
22-06-2003, 02:41
There is still a lot to do and there is a lot of work going on, even at this time of the night.
Interesting fact of the day: the site used 1/2 a gig of bandwidth on our first night. :eek:

No cap jokes, k thx. :p

Temporal
22-06-2003, 02:43
Me too....(AOL).

Craig has taken a lot of unnecessary stick, moderating a forum is absolutely NOT easy, especially not one as busy and contentious as nthw.

Whether or not Craig turns up here, both he and Neil deserve praise for the work they did on the old site.

You put it better than I could have Mark - to keep a busy forum such as NTHW in line is a huge job and keeping track of everything is certainly not easy.

I'll definitely be raising a drink to them both next time I'm down the pub (those who know me know that will be ASAP!).

scrotnig
22-06-2003, 02:43
Originally posted by Roger K

Spoilsport!!!

scrotnig
22-06-2003, 02:44
You put it better than I could have Mark - to keep a busy forum such as NTHW in line is a huge job and keeping track of everything is certainly not easy.

I'll definitely be raising a drink to them both next time I'm down the pub (those who know me know that will be ASAP!).

Hopefully in time, they may have roles here. I realise politically they cannot at the moment, but it would be great if eventually they did.

kronas
22-06-2003, 02:45
Originally posted by Roger K

does your site have a daily limit of 1gb sorry could not resist :p ;) :D :rolleyes:

Temporal
22-06-2003, 02:47
Hopefully in time, they may have roles here. I realise politically they cannot at the moment, but it would be great if eventually they did.

Maybe one day the 'Usual Suspects' will return ;) ;) :D

Moox
22-06-2003, 02:49
Maybe one day the 'Usual Suspects' will return ;) ;) :D
I thought they had oh well I'll crawl back under my rock ;)

scrotnig
22-06-2003, 02:53
Originally posted by kronas
does your site have a daily limit of 1gb sorry could not resist :p ;) :D :rolleyes:

Oi!!

*I* wanted to say that but he wouldn't let me!!

It's NOT FAIR!!!:p

Maggy
22-06-2003, 03:28
I have always found Craig to be polite and helpful.However eventually even a saint would lose patience with some of the 'characters' that have come and gone on NTHW.com.

So I hope we will be seeing him still giving the trolls the grief they so richly deserve so that those who genuinely need help still get it.

Incog.I'm peering at what I've typed.I hope it makes sense but I'm so crosseyed with tiredness I'm not certain.I need :sleep: very badly.

Goodnight.

kronas
22-06-2003, 03:29
night and welcome coggy ;) :wavey:

Martin
22-06-2003, 03:33

Thats the idea Jamie:) and i like it:):) I have said a few times that the site is looking good and everyone that has and is making it possible then well done. Of course a site like this needs a good atmosphere and from what i see on day 2 things are looking good.

Keep up the good work;)

Oh and i do have sympathy for Frank:)

Alan Waddington
22-06-2003, 07:20
Originally posted by erolz
Have you given any thought to obvious's suggestion that the 'ownership' of the site be formaly set up as 'in trust' for the users? There are ways to do this. Given what happened to the original site it would seem to me worth considering. It would also be a great way of showing that the site belongs to the user of it and not just a small 'elite'. It would also avoid any individuals being put in the position that Frank was.

IMHO, since NTL will have their own community site, it seems unlikely that they'll be purchasing any more 3rd party sites. Buying sites to silence dissent doesn't work since more spring up; just look at the several ntl user sites set-up by disgruntled users. At best, all the company would get for their money is a short respite, while users decided which alternate site to coalesce around. The only solution is to provide excellent customer service :D

Gogogo
22-06-2003, 08:13
Absolutely agree that it's important to be positive and recognise the achievements of the original founders of nthw and those who worked hard to keep it going: Frank, Craig et al and that they should be welcome to have a role on this site should they so wish.

:wavey:

Roy MM
22-06-2003, 08:14
Well if CJ, Neil or Frank turn up here i'm history, i would like to think i'm wrong. :(

Miss NTL
22-06-2003, 09:23
Russ stated Frank is here.

The name Frank is not a member but the name is reserved.

Craig J was a member yesterday, today his membership is gone.

neil (not Neil) was member yesterday, neil is gone and now Neil is member and point .com

Need more?

My motivation in all this? Just curiosity and nothing else.

Gogogo
22-06-2003, 09:53
Need more?

Miss NTL any comments on your note from the other place:

I did the prank and the morons fell for it!!!!!! CJ's account cancelled. Neil's points to .com and big mama NTL watched, hahaha...

Look forward to your explanation.

:eek:

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 10:18
looking at bryan's reply on there - "i really do hope nobody is starting a feud with nthw.co.uk... " it would appear that the hand of friendship is still offered by them...

as has been said, we are a new site with new members and a newer attitude....

Lets not start this off with the 2 sites as enemies. The way I read the chronology is this...

Frank started .com
Frank sells .com to NTL
the other place starts up, there (understandably I would think) is some bad blood with .com at this stage
NTL announces a change in direction for .com

.co.uk starts up.

as this is not an NTL owned site the other place would like to become friends as the arguments they had were with .com, not us.

Do we turn this into another "us vs them" pair of sites or can we finally bury the hatchet and shake hands.

My only motivation here is if we CAN learn to get along then instead of wasting time on fighting each other, censoring site names etc we can coexist. helpful sections exist on there, it would be nice to reference them at times without fear of reprisals from either site.

Gogogo
22-06-2003, 10:26
looking at bryan's reply on there - "i really do hope nobody is starting a feud with nthw.co.uk... " it would appear that the hand of friendship is still offered by them...
as has been said, we are a new site with new members and a newer attitude....

Quite agree with you Lord Nikon, people shouldn't be childish that doesn't help anyone at all.

:wavey:

obvious
22-06-2003, 10:46

neil (not Neil) was member yesterday, neil is gone and now Neil is member and point .com

Need more?

Miss NTL - Two faced liars are not what this site is about. I'd like to see TOS and nthw.co.uk get along. People like you deliberately stirring up trouble are the last thing we need. Your motives include more than curiosity as you've proved by your supposed actions here and your posts on TOS. Grow up. Please.

ntluser
22-06-2003, 12:43
"Frank" ain't a listed member of this site but his name is reserved here.

Welcome home Frank.

J

As far as I understand it, NTL bought out NTHellWorld.com from Frank & Co but retained them to run it.

That site seemed to go downhill after the purchase. Maybe there were actions going on in the background to which we were not privy that were responsible for this.

It does appear that some kind of censorship is being applied on the site as a lot of the time forum members had a lot to moan about.

I'm assuming that this new site is an NTL-free, independent site, which, providing members comply with the Acceptable Use Policy, will allow them to discuss any issue they wish.

Perhaps the only difference is that we may not get the feedback from NTL staff about NTL issues. I'm hoping that I'm wrong about this as I feel they had and have a lot to offer.

I'm a member of both sites at the moment so will be nicely placed to see how both sites develop.

Hopefully, both sites can co-exist and NTL can prove that they didn't buy NTHW.com just to silence critics.

Hopefully, too, Frank will see things develop in the way he wishes and maybe we can end up with two great sites instead of one.

Russ
22-06-2003, 12:50
I've said this before and I'll say it again - there will be NO hate or abuse on this site. There will be no "messing around just to see how far I can go".

I don't have a problem with anyone registering on this site and using it for it's intended purpose. Yes that includes people who own/moderate/frequent sites which some people believe have been critical/abusive of NTHW.com and it's users/administrators.

In my tenure as moderator and administrator on NTHW.com I never banned anyone, and I'd love to carry on that record on this site. Yes the rules will be relaxed here but if people go out of their way to cause trouble then I (as will the rest of the team) will have no second thoughts about banning the purpertrators.

I've seen the registrations since the site opened and I'm glad to see that a lot of the 'big guns' from NTHW.com are already on here, and with their input I'm sure we can make this site as big as (if not bigger than) that site.

I'm assuming that this new site is an NTL-free, independent site, which, providing members comply with the Acceptable Use Policy, will allow them to discuss any issue they wish.

You assume right :tu:

Ramrod
22-06-2003, 12:56
Originally posted by Russ D
I've said this before and I'll say it again - there will be NO hate or abuse on this site. There will be no "messing around just to see how far I can go".

Unfortunately you have human nature to contend with.

distortal
22-06-2003, 13:03
Originally posted by Nor
Agreed.

BTW, if someone wants to pay me £20k for my Lotto site (http://www.the-lottery.info/), get in touch! :)

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 13:04
I have been in pm with bryan, owner of the "site that shall not be mentioned" and he has something he would like me to say on here.

I shall post in full his comment to me from a messenger session that he wanted made clear on here.

If you can, let the admins/mods over there know that if they do get any trouble from any of our users, they are doing it without the sanction or knowledge of the admins/mods from *******...

he also reaffirms that the offer of friendship between the sites IS genuine.

I messaged him as I wanted to take the initiative and hopefully remove the barriers that existed between the old .com site and the site which is not mentionable here.

Gogogo
22-06-2003, 13:06
You have my 100% support Russ D and the mods, good luck and keep up the good work.

Russ
22-06-2003, 13:10
You have my 100% support Russ D and the mods, good luck and keep up the good work.

Your comments, as well as the many other I and the rest of the team have recieved on the forum and via PM are very much appreciated. We won't let you down.

he also reaffirms that the offer of friendship between the sites IS genuine.

I've never thought otherwise. Has he registered on here yet? If not why not?

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 13:14
I think he is a little busy at the moment but will probably get round to it shortly..

May I ask if it would be possible to remove the word censor on that site's name please?

If we are to establish a friendly rapport between the sites then it makes no sense for the name to be automatically censored on one of them. After all, our site is not censored on there.

Russ
22-06-2003, 13:18
May I ask if it would be possible to remove the word censor on that site's name please?

As I'm just a moderator I don't have the authority to do so but I can certainly ask.

Theodoric
22-06-2003, 13:23
Unfortunately you have human nature to contend with.
How very true. The last time I saw as many teddies being thrown out of prams, I was two.

Russ
22-06-2003, 13:54
Originally posted by erolz
Russ could you confirm that it is your desire to see friendly relations between this site and ******* ?

There have been direct statements from *******'s owner, Bryan, to that effect and from me as a moderator there to that effect.

Could we have something from the mods/owner here to show this desire is 'reciprocal'?

You have stated that anybody from ******* is welcome hare and a desire to make this site 'bigger' than the old NTHW. You have not stated any desire, personal or as a rep of the 'team' here to have friendly relations with *******. Do you see ******* as 'competetion' and in 'opposition' to the desire to make this site 'bigger' than the old NTHW site?

I would like to think both sites can live and work 'togeather', for the benefit of all and be seen as complmetary and not as 'competitors'. Could you give me any evidence that this is your wish too and the general wish of those running this site?

Ok I'm the only team member on here right now so I can't speak for everyone (although I can see no reason why they'd disagree) but I would like to confirm my desire to see a healthy relationship between nthw.co.uk and any other like-minded site. I would like to make it clear that I appreciate Bryan Stevens' comments about this site and the feeling is mutual.

I look forward to seeing him and his team posting on here.

edit Ooops, just noticed jamie sign in - so I'm not the only one :)

Roy MM
22-06-2003, 14:57
I feel bridges can be built between the two sites unlike the .com, that proved to be an impossible task, to much bad blood. :(

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 15:43
Oops, saw a post appear from Jamie and answered it, but it has now gone so this post is irrelevant :D

Angel
22-06-2003, 16:08
Originally posted by Roy MM
I feel bridges can be built between the two sites unlike the .com, that proved to be an impossible task, to much bad blood. :(

Hi to all,

I agree with Roy wholeheartedly, myself and Bryan hope that both this site and ours can work together and link to each other, after all we are all working towards a common aim.

Thanks also to Erolz and Lord Nikon.

We do not want people causing trouble between the two sites and it is time to start anew.

Hi also to Russ, we may not always have seen eye to eye, but that is past and this is now.

For those who do not know me i'm Mrs Bryan Stevens.

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 16:10
Thank you angel :) and welcome aboard

Jamie
22-06-2003, 16:22
Originally posted by Angel
Hi to all,

I agree with Roy wholeheartedly, myself and Bryan hope that both this site and ours can work together and link to each other, after all we are all working towards a common aim.

Thanks also to Erolz and Lord Nikon.

We do not want people causing trouble between the two sites and it is time to start anew.

Hi also to Russ, we may not always have seen eye to eye, but that is past and this is now.

For those who do not know me i'm Mrs Bryan Stevens.
Hi to you Angel,

We are a new site still working very hard towards getting where we want to be. We have no intentions of allowing links to the site you are from, but welcome you and anyone else from your site to us.

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 16:27
Hi Jamie.

Perhaps this is a decision which may be reviewed in the future?

my reason for asking is if we are to become friends accross the sites, burying the hatchet and starting anew, then to censor the name of the site itself would seem... (struggles to find word) a little unfair.

We are not suggesting initially a link to the site, but to allow its name to be mentioned would show a move towards accepting the offer made by them.

After all, we don't censor the NTHW Mk1 site... (although admittedly we did "evolve" from them) and if TOS are willing to drop the animosity, perhaps we should also?

just my opinion, and I am not trying to cause trouble,.

Angel
22-06-2003, 16:41
Hi to you Angel,

We are a new site still working very hard towards getting where we want to be. We have no intentions of allowing links to the site you are from, but welcome you and anyone else from your site to us.

Thank you for your response Jamie, i can understand you not wanting to link to our site at this moment in time (maybe it is a little too soon)!

Thank you for the welcome and the extended welcome to our members it is appreciated.

I am sure you, as well as me, would wish there to be no animosity between the two sites! After all this is a new beginning for all of us. :)

ntlrebel
22-06-2003, 16:44
Just spent the last 20 mins catching up on this thread. In my opinion although there has been some differences in the past, let bygones be bygones. The both sites have one common aim in mind. To offer help and support, whether good or bad, to ntl & non ntl users alike in an attempt that will push ntl to offer better customer services through direct channels. I think that so far this has been the case and will continue to do so. Any negative comments between sites should be kept to yourself.
Look forward to being able to help here as much as before.
In order to progress, there must be change.
There has been change, so now we must progress.:p

Miss NTL
22-06-2003, 17:10
Apologies to both sides for the trouble.

I do hope that the process of reconciliation continues.

Jackie

Alan Waddington
22-06-2003, 17:15
Intersite rivalry is not to our advantage. The only reason I can see for censoring site names is in the event of profligate spamming by the site in question. This site (looking at Russ) is not in a position to cast the first stone.

However, the personal attacks in some of the threads on nt1he11 are not in my opinion a good advert for that site & are the sole reason I have not subscribed to it.

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 17:18
So do I Jackie :D although I have yet to see concerted negative opinion to the idea on both sites.

We are already starting to try to build the bridges, what would seem to be needed now is an act of trust from the site owner here, insofar as the removal of the name censor on TOS, or at least an assurance that the name censor will be reviewed at a later date.

It may not be easy, but sometimes the worthwhile things are those worth the time to achieve them.

As angel so eloquently put, we are working towards the same goals, so lets put the differences and animosity behind us. This is an opportunity which we never had before from .com, and it would be good to see if we can achieve in the first few days / weeks of this site's existance, what .com couldn't achieve in 2 years.

obvious
22-06-2003, 17:22
So do I Jackie :D although I have yet to see concerted negative opinion to the idea on both sites.

We are already starting to try to build the bridges, what would seem to be needed now is an act of trust from the site owner here, insofar as the removal of the name censor on TOS, or at least an assurance that the name censor will be reviewed at a later date.

It may not be easy, but sometimes the worthwhile things are those worth the time to achieve them.

As angel so eloquently put, we are working towards the same goals, so lets put the differences and animosity behind us. This is an opportunity which we never had before from .com, and it would be good to see if we can achieve in the first few days / weeks of this site's existance, what .com couldn't achieve in 2 years.

"Hear, hear."

If customer sites can't pull together then ntl will be ****ing themselves laughing. Divide and rule must not be allowed to continue.

Bill Payer
22-06-2003, 17:23
Hi to you Angel,

So,you'll allow links to
www.nthellworld.com
but not to
www.*******.co.uk
That's a bit unfair!

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 17:24
Originally posted by Alan Waddington
Intersite rivalry is not to our advantage. The only reason I can see for censoring site names is in the event of profligate spamming by the site in question. This site (looking at Russ) is not in a position to cast the first stone.

I think the pre emptive censor may have been to avoid a flame fest in the opening days of this site, one which has not happened. Although this is merely a guess.

However, the personal attacks in some of the threads on nt1he11 are not in my opinion a good advert for that site & are the sole reason I have not subscribed to it.

on reading the site it would seem that the anti-NTHW thread formed only a part of the site, certainly nothing has been said about NTHW.co.uk in a negative sense, in fact they even showed sympathy for what happened as NTL made its announcements of what was to happen with NTHW.

No-one is looking to justify the posts of the past, however let us not look at the past, let us look to the future. One where in several months or years we can look to TOS and STILL not see any negative posts or flames towards us.

ntlrebel
22-06-2003, 17:36
At the beginning of this thread I said I have no sympathy for Frank. Although my view on this has not changed, what I failed to say was that I hold Frank with a very high level of respect. Good luck to Frank in all that he does.:tu:

Roy MM
22-06-2003, 17:54
Whatever is decided at the end of the day i wish this site good luck and also Bryans site. :)

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 18:11
Andre, I can see where you are coming from, however, at no point on there would it appear that anyone knew what the prank was until it was done, at which point bryan expressed his disapproval and then requested a post be made here stating that any such actions were done without his knowlege or approval, Miss NTL has also apologised on both sites for the actions and bryan's wife has posted here offering friendship.

Surely this would say something?

Also, I have just noticed posts on there suggesting the retirement of the forum which was attacking the old NTHW, and messages from whom I can only describe as the most avid proponent of animosity towards people on the old site, suggesting the retirement of the forum....

bad blood existed between the sites before... however they do seem to be making an effort... To be honest though andre, can any of us really vouch for all members of either site and state that every single member can be trusted not to try to cause trouble.

We have had one incident, which has been apologised for and no further action needed to be taken, no threats were issued. No flames were made. That says something. You have the respect of BOTH sites on here andre. let us move forward and bury the past.

Ramrod
22-06-2003, 18:13
Originally posted by ntlrebel
Just spent the last 20 mins catching up on this thread. In my opinion although there has been some differences in the past, let bygones be bygones. The both sites have one common aim in mind.
lol, you are talking as if this site is the .com site:)

Ramrod
22-06-2003, 18:15
Originally posted by Bill Payer
So,you'll allow links to
www.nthellworld.com
but not to
www.*******.co.uk
That's a bit unfair!
its a start:)

Ramrod
22-06-2003, 18:18
Originally posted by Andre
I do not want this site to turn into a discussion about your site in the same way you have a whole forum dedicated to nthellworld.com, and I will do all I can to make sure that happens.

Andre.
hear, hear.
(and no, I'm not sucking up to the boss:D. enteeelhell.com has far too much bile in it:( and it would be a crying shame to see it happening here)

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 18:23
Ramrod, doublecheck the posts on there since the new site opened, you will find they are in favour of this site and are offering a hand of friendship.

I am a newcomer to this site, but I have lurked on both the others as a guest for a long time. like Andre, I do not wish this site to become a discussion of the other one, but I also feel that the main way to do this is to abandon the animosity that existed between them & us in the past. It would also seem to be a move they want as well. To say there is too much bile on there is a little unfair as there is in place a discussion to remove / retire the nthellwoe thread completely, or to use it as a place to discuss the feelings of NTL for their changes to the old NTHW site.

If they are prepared to give up the animosity, can we not be equally big and shake the hand of friendship, abandoning our animosity too?

Bill Payer
22-06-2003, 18:24
its a start:)

In what way?
All I see is favouritism to the .com site.By censoring the name of the other site it implies that the animosity is to continue!

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 18:24
Andre. no-one is trying to make them do anything, this was an independant suggestion made on there, that is my point. They are taking the initiative to show goodwill towards us....

[edit]

as an addendum, by all means continue to prohibit links to the site, however is there really any purpose in censoring its name? (I don't know if it would be possible to block links to it and allow the name to be mentioned)

Miss NTL
22-06-2003, 18:34
Dear Andre

I really do not want be the stumbling block of a possible reconciliation.

I sincerely apologize for the trouble.

obvious
22-06-2003, 18:35
Hi Andre, I hardly ever post on so it's not like I'm pro one or the other. I've got no axe to grind.

...a member from your site called 'Miss NTL' was talking about playing a prank on us and at no point did anyone from your site try to discourage her. She then came to our site and registered the names 'Craig J' and 'neil' and went back to your site boasting about it. This does nothing but say to me she was intent on causing problems for us.You wouldn't claim to be able to have control over what users of nthw.co.uk post on other sites. Also, Miss NTL was discouraged.

It was my decision to put your site's name in our profanity filter, and mine alone. It was felt that I was jumping the gun so to speak, but it would appear my fears have been proved right. I dont understand. How can a profanity filter of another site's url be seen as anything less than an insult? It's not like there is any commercial rivalry between the two. Does the filter have any purpose other than to cause friction? Does it protect nthw.co.uk from anything? Of course not (imo).

I am not suggesting that everyone from your site has those intentions (far from it), but I feared something like this may happen, and unfortunately I was proved right. but luckily the profanity filter will save us all. Surely not?

This would 'appear' to be the same Miss NTL that we currently have on this site, and therefore I can only presume that there are members on your site hell bent on causing trouble for us. I must also stress that there were moderators in the same thread on your site that in no way discouraged Miss NTL form doing it, which does nothing in my mind to help matters.She was discouraged but this is beside the point. How does a filter do any good whatsoever? You could always remove it on a trial basis and see whether the sky caves in. (Sorry it just seems daft).

I am sorry to go on about this, but it something that I do feel quite strongly about.
I do not want this site to turn into a discussion about your site in the same way you have a whole forum dedicated to nthellworld.com, and I will do all I can to make sure that happens.

Andre.
Agreed. We should have better things to do but by filtering out even the mention of www.*******.co.uk it's acting like a big red flag that will attract discussion. I have a dream that ntl customers all over the country way down in London and Bristol will learn to play together etc etc etc. ;)

Frank
22-06-2003, 18:43

Frank requested his name be reserved, probably so people like you didn't register it like you did with name Craig J. That name is now reserved too, should Craig ask for it at some point.

See above.

Need more?

You are a T R O L L, plain and simple. No suprise you was banned from nthw.com imho :rolleyes:

Ramrod
22-06-2003, 18:48
Ramrod, doublecheck the posts on there since the new site opened, you will find they are in favour of this site and are offering a hand of friendship.

Agreed. It's the general levels of 'bitching' about .com that give me cause for concern. Weather they are justified or not (I Know that there's been lots going on that I am not aware of) the level of animosity is still disturbing.
To say there is too much bile on there is a little unfair as there is in place a discussion to remove / retire the nthellwoe thread completely, or to use it as a place to discuss the feelings of NTL for their changes to the old NTHW site. have to admit that I missed that....a big step in the right direction

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 18:52
Agreed. It's the general levels of 'bitching' about .com that give me cause for concern. Weather they are justified or not (I Know that there's been lots going on that I am not aware of) the level of animosity is still disturbing.

and if the suggestion that someone on there has made that those posts be retired actually takes place? Will that help redress the situation?
[edit] oops, looks like you were editing as I was posting :D disredard this bit [edit over]

and Keyser - Agreed Miss NTL overstepped boundaries, but we should also give her some credit for publicly apologising twice on here and once on there, plus we should acknowlege bryans comment too... Everyone is entitled to one mistake.
and no - I am not trying to cause trouble.. merely prevent any arising on or about a new site I think has the potential to go very far :D

obvious
22-06-2003, 18:58
There is plenty to be said to ntl for the benefit of customers but it's no good it coming in dribs and drabs from a disjointed non-community all pulling in different directions. In an ideal world I'd like to see the (unofficial) ntl community sites merged at some point and then a huge userbase could emerge with real leverage. Ah well maybe one day.

kadcoms
22-06-2003, 19:02
Originally posted by obvious
In an ideal world I'd like to see the (unofficial) ntl community sites merged at some point and then a huge userbase could emerge with real leverage. Ah well maybe one day

An ideal world would be companies managing to attain 100% customer satisfaction levels, then sites like this wouldnt be required at all... Ah well, maybe one day...
:D

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 19:02
I don't know about merged, I think that would be asking too much, but to establish a friendship would enable both remaining independent sites to work towards a common goal, without complaints about each other.

marcsparks2002
22-06-2003, 19:09
i cant see any favouritism towards either site .it seems the mods here have tried to remain in a neutral position as possible,ive read between the lines of all three sites and yes there is an animosity between nthw.com and the so called TOS,as someone stated not every member can be watched all the time and there will always be some hell bent on stirring but at the end of the day life is to short and the 2 forums have one aim ....the help and consistency that NTL cant offer, if we all pull together the two sites can surely achieve what .com couldnt and that is the end of bad blood,after all andre and his team havent said they will not entertain any connection with ******* ,its just that it could take a little time to establish each camps actions,so to speak,anyways just some of my thoughts ............and i hope that all this will come to an amiccable end ....the 2 sites working towards the same aim.
atb marc

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 19:18
I agree marc. However I feel that both sites need to take action to show willingness to cooperate... TOS by acting on the suggestion to retire the anti NTHW forum, and ourselves by acting on the name filter... after all, what do we have to lose?

We do, however have a LOT to gain. a united front as opposed to fighting among ourselves.

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 19:27
For my part in this I apologise, however I feel that if we can get both sites working in harmony then the final result will be worth my effort, and that of the others.

There is no sense in fighting between sites, IMHO it continued way longer than it had to between them and our predecessor, working together though we stand to accomplish so much good. It HAS to be worth it. At least as say a 2 week trial, if we remove the name filter on them, and they retire the posts about NTHW, just to see if it works...

as someone's tag line says... a Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

marcsparks2002
22-06-2003, 19:29
hi lord nikon,
i didnt actually know re the retireing of the nthw forum,but that seems like a hand shake in the rite direction and i agree with you re the demise of the profanity filter re TOS as i think it was you that said perhaps a trial period of ease of the barriers between the two sites may be a step in the rite direction..............after all surely we can all pull in the same direction :) fingers crossed ,andre surely the actions of one member cant delay the possibility of a reconsile (if so called) between us and TOS especially seeing as this new site has never had any bad blood with them.
I for one certainly feel more comfortable with posting on this site in a capacity other than askin techy questions as with .com this site feels more of a "user site" than a corparate site !

Jamie
22-06-2003, 19:38
I wonder if there is any chance we could get away from this subject at least for the time being. We have decided that the link will remain censored and that is at least now, our final word.

We see phrases being used referring to animosity and bad feeling yet we here have no bad feeling or animosity towards the site you are from, and welcome you here.

We have a lot to do still, and we would prefer not to be put under any kind of pressure over an issue that is not high on our list of priorities.

It appears from what we see, that bad feeling could be raised just because of the way this thread is going. We have no bad feeling or animosity towards the other site and we do not intend any situation to become that allows animosity to develop.

We are two completely seperate websites with no connection at all with each other. We shall do the best job we can here for our members. Other websites have to do what they believe best.

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 20:06
Thanks, and I shall make my final post on this matter now.

I can see why you want the link censored, although I disagree with the reasons. For us to remove a name from the censored list or to replace it with the full link to the site would take seconds, it would leave the majority of the work in the hands of them. You are right, I did mention animosity, I meant the animosity between them and the old NTHW, I never meant animosity with this site.

To quote the words of frank & James Herbert from Dune..

A beginning is a very delicate time....

This is why I decided to broach the subject when I did, removing the censor would only prove to everyone that this is a different site to its predecessor.

Still, the decision is that of the mods / owner, and I guess that the situation may be revised if TOS takes the first steps... only time will tell.

Ramrod
22-06-2003, 20:21

as someone's tag line says... a Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Angel
22-06-2003, 20:26
Andre,

Please accept my apologies on behalf of *******.co.uk for one of our members actions.

To Jamie, lets hope we can all assist each other in the future.

We at *******.co.uk wish you all the best with your site and would just like to say it is looking good.

Jamie
22-06-2003, 20:39
Originally posted by Angel
Andre,

Please accept my apologies on behalf of *******.co.uk for one of our members actions.

To Jamie, lets hope we can all assist each other in the future.

We at *******.co.uk wish you all the best with your site and would just like to say it is looking good.
Thankyou very much for that Angel. We would like to leave this subject now by just repeating that you and your members are more than welcome here :)

Bill Payer
22-06-2003, 20:49
Hi (again)
There is no fighting as far as I can see/am concerned.
We have no animosity towards them, but the actions of people like Miss NTL have done nothing to alleviate my initial fears I'm afraid.

Which is why the filter has been in place right from the start.The actions of one member are a reflextion of the rest of the site.
ie;C**** J****.
OK. I see your point.
;)

kronas
22-06-2003, 21:16
Originally posted by Bill Payer
Which is why the filter has been in place right from the start.The actions of one member are a reflextion of the rest of the site.
ie;C**** J****.
OK. I see your point.
;)

LOL :D

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 21:37
quick 1 line newsflash - the nthellwoe forum is now GONE from TOS - just spotted it

obvious
22-06-2003, 21:42
Hi to you Angel,

Right, I'm going to go off on one here.

"We" this, "We" that, "We" the other. I'm sorry it sounds like this is "Your" site and what the users think doesn't matter.

"You" are perpetuating a wedge in the ntl user community. "You" could be ntl for all we know (I dont believe this, just making a point) trying to keep the user community divided so that we have as little power/voice as possible.

I truly believe that the user community needs to pull together to maximize our clout with ntl.

If someone extends an olive branch with the potential result of making our voices louder then "You" would be foolish to dismiss it.

Go it alone with your own agenda without listening to reason and you risk being just another runner in the race.

the mods here wont even make a few comments of introduction so that we might "meet" and trust one another. I'm sorry, this doesnt bode well but I still wish it all works out OK.

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 21:44
Was that really necessary Lord Nikon?

sorry, maybe not necessary, but just thought it would quell the comments made earlier about venom remaining on the site.

Also shows commitment to a new future, for both sites.

Maggy
22-06-2003, 21:48
Please can we knock this on the head? If you/we/they/us keep on like this there will be a divide.Lets just draw a line under this and wait and see what happens in the future.

As my granny used to say stop picking at it and it might get better.Keep picking and it will just keep bleeding!

Incog.

kronas
22-06-2003, 21:49
Originally posted by Incognitas

As my granny used to say stop picking at it and it might get better.Keep picking and it will just keep bleeding!

indeed lets keep stum till everything settles down :)

obvious
22-06-2003, 21:55
I wont be bringing this up again. Theres no point saying the same thing over and over.

Ramrod
22-06-2003, 21:55
The channels of communication should be opened at the earliest opportunity in order to foster useful dialogue between sites.
If/when that happens then the mods on both sides will have to keep an eagle eye on proceedings as people are people. In the long run it can only be for the greater good.

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 21:58
hey obvious, I admire your stance, however I have to agree with Andre to some degree.. We have been OT on here for at least 7 pages out of the 9, we have achieved something though, the seeds of trust are being sown, time to return to topic while we are ahead :D

On the subject of frank, I have to feel for him really... NTL have crippled what he set out to build, and no matter what financial recompense they gave him, it has to hurt to see what he strove to build demolished like that.....

Bill Payer
22-06-2003, 22:26
Going back on topic;
Frank created a very good site.When he sold out,to ntl,he thought that he was doing a good thing.He got a wad of money,a figure has been quoted,which was probably doubled when you take into account his salary because Frank was then employed by ntl to set up a new Community site.
But Tim Ryan,during his brief period of posting,stated that once the Community site was online there would be no need for nthellworld,which IMHO is obvious.Surely Frank must have realised this.
Frank created nthellworld but it was the members who made it what it was.The members were not consulted about this sale.The news itself came from a different site.It's for this reason I say that Frank sold out.
I was also concerened about the way the moderators took on the sanitation of the site.There was one who,previously,would scream blue murder if ntl mucked anything up.Overnight,it seems,he changed his outlook to a "these things happen" sort of view.
They took their pieces of silver,they know what they must do.
Nthellworld is dead.Long live nthellworld!

Miss NTL
22-06-2003, 22:31
My actions:

- Is Frank a member? I check. No. OK. Let's try to register as Frank. Not possible. Frank is reserved.

- OK. There is no Craig J. Perhaps he is reserved too. The only way to find out is to register as "Craig J". It works. I could but I chose not post as Craig J. (4-5pm , I cannot recall)

- There is no Neil. Let's try neil. It worked. I could but I chose not post as neil.

- At around 9:00-10pm I discover the memberships were altered.

I was investigating. I was searching to find out the links between the team running this site and the team running the ".com" one. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. And in the open (Russ D knows who I am and where I live and work).

Although I post at Bryan's site, I do not know him and my apologies to him for causing trouble for his site.

Keyser, yes, I am a provocateur, I was born that way. But I do not like to upset people thus the sincere apologies to all parties involved. So, I do care, thus I am not a troll.

And now, I am used as a scapegoat. Not nice.

Since this thread is about Frank: Frank you are a gentleman, many thanks for tolerating my mis-behaving. I had a preview of your community thing and I really loved it. Best of luck.

Cheers
J

Jamie
22-06-2003, 22:31
On the subject of frank, I have to feel for him really... NTL have crippled what he set out to build, and no matter what financial recompense they gave him, it has to hurt to see what he strove to build demolished like that.....
The legacy of what Frank Whitestone created lives on, sadly without him but if he could comment I am sure he would be pleased to know that we are trying our best to build on the success that he and his moderators built up. NTL have knocked the .com site down. NTL should have thought about the .co.uk version springing up.

To obvious - we are very busy and not ignoring any of you intentionally. We have a lot to do to get this site where we planned to have it and then, we will ask for your thoughts and opinions and be much more visible on the site. We have very little time to stop and post now but we hope the quicker we complete the work the sooner we will be able to join in with your discussion forums.

There is no wedge between us or any other website only the imaginary one that some seem to be trying to make real. We have been here a few days and are concentrating on what we have to do in order to get this site right for everyone. Other sites are not our concern and we are puzzled why some people are trying to force one particular site on us.

Escapee
22-06-2003, 22:32
I don't have a problem with anyone registering on this site and using it for it's intended purpose. Yes that includes people who own/moderate/frequent sites which some people believe have been critical/abusive of NTHW.com and it's users/administrators.

Thanks for those honest kind words Russ, I might even ask to use my old name now things are starting to become clearer.:cool:

lets all bury the hatchet, but not in my head :D

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 22:42
Miss NTL,

I for one have never tried to use you as a scapegoat, and I am sure that is not the intention here. In my mind at least you have more than apologised for something that, had Keyser and yourself not mentioned it, none of us would have known, for that action we thank you.

to Jamie, it was never my intention to force any site on you, only to try to start this site as we mean to continue, with all of us working towards a common goal. United we gain power, Divided we lose it to each other.

For the moment the site discussion is over, as requested by Andre, and the Frank discussion is back.

To Bill payer

I agree, they did seem to switch sides too readily, especially since some of them had previously stated that if NTL took over they would be out of there. This is one reason I never registered there.

Bill Payer
22-06-2003, 23:30

... they did seem to switch sides too readily, especially since some of them had previously stated that if NTL took over they would be out of there.

They've said that they did the job unpaid.But I wonder what sort of recompense they'll get when .com is closed down?
Methinks we could see the return of compunightmare :D

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 23:41
Unpaid does not necessarily mean unsubsidised... i.e. discounted / free NTL services...

from what I know from people I know people who do work in pretty much any way for NTL tend to get free services as part of the package.

Marcus_Tandy
23-06-2003, 00:46
With regards to the link I would like to say that I left school in 1989 and some of the postings ive seen are something that reminds me and should be kept in the school playground. I personally belive that censoring the link out is very childish also I don't like the fact that im being told what I can or I can't see.

Im not going to be an ntl customer for very long now and im quitting as for me its time for me to move on to new horizons im going to be using a new ISP hopefully ADSL. Ive made some really good friends on the anti ******* forums during the time ive been on them and those people know who they are.

One thing I would like to see before I sail off into the sunset just like Marcus Tandy did during the last episode of Eldorado is for some bridges to be built with this site and n.tlhell.co.uk. We all have a knowledge we are all human in the end so why can't we work together? Lets communicate together help each other out look after one another be there for each other whilst having a laugh on the way.

Lets see what can be done during the next 7 days. I do belive that Miss NTL has made a public apology so hopefully thats the end of this matter.

John Lennon said lets give peace a chance why can't we here?

As for Frank

Well Franks actually made history when it comes to protest websites. Theres companies who have used the courts to get protest websites closed down and even have the domain names taken away. This is a well known high street electrical retailer who I have had dealing with there legal department and they are not the nicest bunch to deal with.

Today is history in the making. Lets make it a good one and lets build some bridges.

I suggest the first bridge to be built is to remove the censor on the link.

So comeone lets get together.

Roy MM
23-06-2003, 01:13
Wise words deaf ears spring to mind Marcus, but never say never, the door maybe locked at the moment but give this site time to evolve then we shall see, i understand the censor thing now i have read this thread fully, it's a new site it can do without issues that can be deemed hostile/provocative let the site florish then see if we can broach the subject again, nuff said.

Lord Nikon
23-06-2003, 01:26
true enough Roy, although I would have liked to see the friendship flourish as this site does...

However I am keeping this off topic, and as Andre has requested that we return to topic I must ask that we return to topic, after all I am the one who kinda hijacked this thread and I have no desire to be responsible for the first "off topic" closure of a thread on this site.

So please people, can we return to topic? We have expressed our desires for friendship, and the nameless site has taken its first steps as will be evident to anyone who has seen it within the past couple of hours... lets leave it at that as far as it goes and see what happens... bringing pressure will only breed resentment and that is not what we want.

As has been said over there, we do not want anyone being banned over this, as it would only be counterproductive.

So, back to the talk about frank please people...

Tezcatlipoca
23-06-2003, 01:49
I think Frank did a great job.

btw, just seen this on the main page:

Welcome to our newest member, Frank

a4pacific
23-06-2003, 09:37
I have not read throught the posts here yet, so if I repeat somebody's post, my apologies.

Who is running the show here? and will NTL try to shut this website down? and what is going happen to the old site?

Lord Nikon
23-06-2003, 09:40
Originally posted by a4pacific
I have not read throught the posts here yet, so if I repeat somebody's post, my apologies.

Who is running the show here? and will NTL try to shut this website down? and what is going happen to the old site?

ok, in order....

The Users (ok, Andre, & the mods, but apparently to be steered by user requests), Quite Possibly although they probably won't succeed. and finally, NTL are trying to kill it by dissection, first the tech section goes, then who knows what will happen.

Chris
23-06-2003, 10:35
Ntl' treatment of nthw.com is very sad but I don't think we can blame Frank or any of the Mods. He clearly thought he might be able to change things 'from the inside' and get a wad of cash into the bargain.

I'd have done it.

PS Hi everyone, nice to see so many of the gang here already! :wavey:

obvious
23-06-2003, 10:42
Respect to Frank :D

Shaun
23-06-2003, 16:51

Lets hope we never need to register Nthellworld.net, Nthellworld.tv ntlworld.org!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Lord Nikon
23-06-2003, 16:54
you forgot nthellworld.info nthellworld.biz etc etc

Jules
23-06-2003, 22:16
I owe Frank a thank you for setting up that site I got a lot of help there and made some good friends sad to see it end

Frank
24-06-2003, 00:52
Thank you all for your kind words and understanding.

My view on the whole issue is this:

nthellworld.com had to close sometime, but the intention by myself was always to replace it with something better in a managed way. A number of people are publically questioning whether Community will indeed be better, which I suppose is fair enough given past events. I myself am reserving judgement on this until after I see users' long-term responses.

Community is a site which was based by me on the success for nthellworld.com. How successful and in-touch with ntl's customers it now is depends on how successful it is allowed to be within the constraints applied already and in the future by ntl.

The way nthellworld.com was closed and Community will be opened, the final content of both sites, and the timing of everything, was not my decision and I take no responsibility for that. I did, however, suggest a forewarning of what was going to happen, and was slightly suprised by the reaction given that Community has not even launched yet despite many months of hard work by myself and lots of others at ntl.

I would like to wish nthellworld.co.uk the very best in all that it stands for - I think it will be very successful where ntl leave an inevitable "gap" in service for it's customers. I hope that the nthellworld.com users find both this site, and Community, which launches very shortly, productive and well run web-based user communities.

Regards,

Frank

peterska2
24-06-2003, 01:14
Originally posted by Frank

nthellworld.com had to close sometime, but the intention by myself was always to replace it with something better in a managed way. A number of people are publically questioning whether Community will indeed be better, which I suppose is fair enough given past events. I myself am reserving judgement on this until after I see users' long-term responses.

Community is a site which was based by me on the success for nthellworld.com. How successful and in-touch with ntl's customers it now is depends on how successful it is allowed to be within the constraints applied already and in the future by ntl.

The way nthellworld.com was closed and Community will be opened, the final content of both sites, and the timing of everything, was not my decision and I take no responsibility for that. I did, however, suggest a forewarning of what was going to happen, and was slightly suprised by the reaction given that Community has not even launched yet despite many months of hard work by myself and lots of others at ntl.

I would like to wish nthellworld.co.uk the very best in all that it stands for - I think it will be very successful where ntl leave an inevitable "gap" in service for it's customers. I hope that the nthellworld.com users find both this site, and Community, which launches very shortly, productive and well run web-based user communities.

Regards,

Frank

Nice to see you on here Frank.

I have a great feeling of loss for nthw.com and although I will still be around for as long as I can be over there it will not be the same without the ntl sections. I understand the reasons why ntl wanted to change the ntl parts to ntl community but I think that it has caused mass panic because for the most it was unexpected.

I am sure that I am not alone in wishing ntl community all the best. I know that if you are in charge either soley or jointly with another like-minded person then the site will become very successful.

Although I am a little apprehensive about ntl community myself I will be showing my face to see how it develops. The only thing that I have a little problem with about it is that I will not be able to give any help at all and on the nthw even since I left the CLT I have been contacted on a great many occassions by a large number of people in regards to all sorts of ntl queries and in the majority of cases I have been able to resolve them without refering them to an offical memeber of ntl staff or more recently just a member of ntl staff in general.

I think that this open and helpful but unassociated appraoch is going to be the one possible stumbling block for the new community site although I am encouraged by the fact that I have been chatting to some of the CLT guys today and they have said that they will be on the community site. I think that if the user names have to be changed then we will be moving backwards in the sense that the trust that has been built up on nthw will have to be rebuilt as people will no longer know who each other is. I am sure that if you have anything to do with the user names for the ntl recognised staff on community then it will be a simple case of transferring the existing ones over. Personally I do think that this will be the best approach.

The fact that community is soley for the use of ntl customers will be helpful because there is always the odd question thrown in on nthw about sky or bt or telewest which we couldnt answer without simply providing links, and just think with all the strict modding that will be going on there, I will have no oppurtunity to go 'off-topic' even if I really tried so that will make things easier for you and the mods.

In relation to mods I would like to ask if the current nthw.com team are going with you over to community or if they are staying on the nthw site? Just curious because I am unsure as to the reaction from ntl with the current team. I know they do a great job - they have to to put up with me - but I just have a gut feeling that the team may not be right especially with the high level of ntl restrictions and politics that will be involved. No offence to Neil, Craig or Ben here.

Finally I would like to wish community all the best and say that if you ever need an honest and open non-ntl opinion but where knowledge of ntl processes and procedures would be helpful then you only have to give me a shout.

Good luck with the new site.

Kerry-Anne

carlingman
24-06-2003, 01:40
originally posted by peterska2 snip In relation to mods I would like to ask if the current nthw.com team are going with you over to community or if they are staying on the nthw site? Just curious because I am unsure as to the reaction from ntl with the current team. I know they do a great job - they have to to put up with me - but I just have a gut feeling that the team may not be right especially with the high level of ntl restrictions and politics that will be involved. No offence to Neil, Craig or Ben here.

Well i can step in here and answer this one.

There is no place other than as Members/Customers/Employees for the current nthw.com Mod/Admin team in community.

The new community site will be moderated by NTL staff only.

Take a look
here (http://www.nthellworld.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=43583)

Jamie
24-06-2003, 01:52
Originally posted by carlingman
There is no place other than as Members/Customers/Employees for the current nthw.com Mod/Admin team in community.
That must be a hard kick in the gonads for them.
The new community site will be moderated by NTL staff only.
Lambs to the slaughterhouse :p

We feel honoured to have Frank as a member of this site.

Roy MM
24-06-2003, 02:00
I will reserve my judgement, not being a non conformist, just practicable

Jamie
24-06-2003, 02:04
We hope that none of you feel the need to judge what we're doing here but just enjoy the site and use it for the purpose intended - airing any grievances you have, asking for and giving help to others and visiting our off-topic areas:)

homealone
24-06-2003, 02:33

hiya mm

I once asked you to remove "me" from a forum - which I have just posted in - i.e. you didn't - at this point I ain't complaining - just a comment. But how "practicable" is that?

Gaz

ntluser
24-06-2003, 08:57

Regards,

Frank

I think that you've hit the nail on the head, Frank when you talk of success being allowed.

Right from the first moment they took over NTL have applied constraints and will no doubt continue to do so as "Community" becomes a mouthpiece for the company.

Community will only discuss those issues that it is permitted to talk about. If I am a customer waiting for broadband in London, I suspect the amount of positive, helpful information I will receive from "Community" will be little or none.

A lot of us are unhappy about the circumstances of the demise of nthellworld and about the inenviable situation that you and others have been placed in. A lot of that unhappiness centres around the fact that whatever NTL touches seems to be adversely affected.

Over time many of us have developed friendships and a sense of comradeship with fellow customers, NTL staff and the mods using NTHW.com. A lot of that, Frank, is down to you and I among many are very thankful for that.

Sadly, I think that spirit will be lost when "Community" takes over as it will simply be another 'business' arm of NTL governed by the dreaded NTL communications policy i.e. No communication is good communication.

Much of what I have said is "surmise". I am currently registered on both sites and will no doubt register on Community when it officially starts. The success of Community will depend very much on how much NTL allow it to meet the needs of customers.

I'll be very interested to see how "Community" develops and wish it and yourself all the very best for the future.

Pieman
24-06-2003, 09:45
I'm with ntluser and Frank on this - my view is that Community will be very much the "party line" which I am sure is the intention - however I do hope that users will be allowed to freely discuss topics in the open manner that has been permitted before, however I very much think that the Terms and Conditions of "Community" are in the hands of the ntl lawyers as we speak.....

fraz
24-06-2003, 09:52

Anyone would think you'ld been made redundant :rolleyes:

Community is a site which was based by me on the success for nthellworld.com.

Really ;)

Anyways heres hoping community goes well after all these years in the planning and at least one false start and that it picks up where the old ntl.support newsgroups left off.

paulyoung666
24-06-2003, 10:25
Originally posted by Pieman
I'm with ntluser and Frank on this - my view is that Community will be very much the "party line" which I am sure is the intention - however I do hope that users will be allowed to freely discuss topics in the open manner that has been permitted before, however I very much think that the Terms and Conditions of "Community" are in the hands of the ntl lawyers as we speak.....

cant see it my mate , i reckon it will be very much toe the party line or come here :mad: :mad: :mad:

Martin
24-06-2003, 12:12
Originally posted by ntluser
Over time many of us have developed friendships and a sense of comradeship with fellow customers, NTL staff and the mods using NTHW.com. A lot of that, Frank, is down to you and I among many are very thankful for that.

This statement sums it up for me too, nicely put ntluser.:)

Pieman
24-06-2003, 12:56
Hear Hear!!! :)

albone
24-06-2003, 18:08
Yep I agree with that sentiment too.. After all if there had been no .com then we all wouldn't be here today. Thanks Frank you did us all a favour.:wavey:

th'engineer
24-06-2003, 18:10
Agree with that thanks frank

Tod
24-06-2003, 18:56
Come on Frank, you know you want to join this forum!! ;)

I think Frank deserves a pat on the back for what he has achieved with nthellworld. I would not critisise him for selling out the site though, I imagine there would be few people that would turn down what he was offered by NTL for his site.

poolking
24-06-2003, 19:02
Originally posted by Tod
Come on Frank, you know you want to join this forum!! ;)

I think Frank deserves a pat on the back for what he has achieved with nthellworld. I would not critisise him for selling out the site though, I imagine there would be few people that would turn down what he was offered by NTL for his site.

He has done and has already posted in this thread I think. :)

Tod
24-06-2003, 20:03
Nice one, although i am not reading through all 12 pages! ;)

Tod
24-06-2003, 20:13
I lied, I just did! Phew - now I'm all up to date.

Maybe Community will be good, as they will have to treat the forum users as customers (as that is what they will be) and will have to respond rather than the patches of quiet whenever something come up no one was allowed to answer.

Apex
25-06-2003, 13:02
You can not blame Frank for what he did, any one in the same situation would have done the same thing.

Yes he sold out and we knew what was going to happen with the site but thats how the world goes these days.

We need money to live, thats the sad fact of life.

and btw site looking good :)

TigaSefi
25-06-2003, 13:39
It must be hard to face all the hard work in the last 2 years or so of nthw.com is just down the pan to moderating the off-topic sections. I'd be gutted esp. as it seems they will not moderate the community of talk about what we allow you to talk about.

I just hope that the mods of this site can come close to having all the "contacts" that the other mods have enjoyed.

dodgy.geezah
25-06-2003, 14:07
Originally posted by Tod

I think Frank deserves a pat on the back

More like a pat on the head

*SPLAT*

:D :D

Peter
25-06-2003, 15:09
Originally posted by Nor

Surrendering the voice of protest for a job in the company your site is basically against and a few £k. I would call that a major sell out, an NTL protest site owned by....NTL. It is blatantly obvious what NTL intended to do with NTHW and Frank gave all that up for his own personal benefit and I very much doubt he took into consideration the fact that NTL would try to silence the voice of protest.

orangebird
25-06-2003, 15:17
Originally posted by Peter
Surrendering the voice of protest for a job in the company your site is basically against and a few £k. I would call that a major sell out, an NTL protest site owned by....NTL. It is blatantly obvious what NTL intended to do with NTHW and Frank gave all that up for his own personal benefit and I very much doubt he took into consideration the fact that NTL would try to silence the voice of protest.

Cut and paste is sooooo handy -

Where do you get off?

Frank owned the domain name, designed the site, got it into the public eye and did a whole load of customers a favour. He had every right to do with it as he wished.

It happened over a year ago FFS, and unless you were in Franks position when he sold you won't have the knowledge to even begin to assume why he sold, or wether it was 'morally' his to sell.

I am amazed at all of you who had the nerve to say he 'sold out', or berate him for doing so - I can bet that 99.9% of you have never even met the guy to form such 'considered' opinions....

cjll3
25-06-2003, 15:35
Originally posted by orangebird
I am amazed at all of you who had the nerve to say he 'sold out', or berate him for doing so - I can bet that 99.9% of you have never even met the guy to form such 'considered' opinions....

Amazed as I am to agree with Orangebird, I'm surprised people are not giving Frank/ntl the chance to show how productive/useful the new community site will be.

ntl has recognised the deep seated problems that beset them a year ago and are actively working towards resolving them.

orangebird
25-06-2003, 15:36
Originally posted by cjll3
Amazed as I am to agree with Orangebird, I'm surprised people are not giving Frank/ntl the chance to show how productive/useful the new community site will be.

ntl has recognised the deep seated problems that beset them a year ago and are actively working towards resolving them.

Good point - community is being left behind & damned before people have even seen it - give it a chance!

I work for ntl (sometimes good, sometimes the pits), and I am also a customer - I'm looking forward to seeing what community is going to offer - hopefully more than the two 'callbacks' I've been promised in the past two days and never got..... :rolleyes:

TigaSefi
25-06-2003, 15:41
Originally posted by Shabba
Is community online yet?

No I don't think so, and in NTL's time, it'll be several months too.

basa
25-06-2003, 15:55
Good point - community is being left behind & damned before people have even seen it - give it a chance!

I work for ntl (sometimes good, sometimes the pits), and I am also a customer - I'm looking forward to seeing what community is going to offer - hopefully more than the two 'callbacks' I've been promised in the past two days and never got..... :rolleyes:

OB

Are people leaving behind & damning 'community' ??

I thought most were pi**ed at the ntl related forums of nthw being sunk ??

The 'community' will (hopefully) be a huge asset, whereas the 'new' nthw1 could well succumb to lack of interest. Remember Franks baby was borne out of direct criticism of ntl which will now (we believe) be quashed.

ntluser
25-06-2003, 16:05
Though we all may have misgivings about how "Community" came about, it's only fair to at least wait and see what "Community" has to offer and judge it on its merits or otherwise.

Now that the new NTHW.co.uk site has opened, NTL will be put on their mettle to prove that "Community" is going to be a worthy site.

"Community" will, at the very least, have to be as informative and helpful as NTHW.co.uk.

If NTL place too many restrictions on the "Community" site operators then "Community" will fail and NTL will have wasted its money.

So someone in the NTL hierarchy is going to have to take on board the fact that customers will want openness and efficiency from "Community" and a lot of positive communication.

It goes without saying that if they don't get that, customers will continue to criticise NTL from the independent forums of NTHW.co.uk so the ball is now well and truly in NTL's court and they will only get one chance to prove their worth.

We'll all have to wait and see what happens.

Sociable
25-06-2003, 16:14
Cut and paste is sooooo handy -

Where do you get off?

Frank owned the domain name, designed the site, got it into the public eye and did a whole load of customers a favour. He had every right to do with it as he wished.

As I said in my post in the Cap Thread I respect Frank and accept selling the domain name was entirely his decision to make.

What he did not own was the membership of that forum and as time will show many will reach their own "considered" decison how to react to NTL's decison to mess with the spirit created by Frank's original idea.

The Sprit of Frank's orginal idea lives on here if not at .com and regardless of how active a part he himself plays in this community he will be remembered with respect and heartfelt thanks for his contribution to the spirit still embodied in NTHELL.

cjll3
25-06-2003, 16:17
Originally posted by basa
Are people leaving behind & damning 'community' ??

I thought most were pi**ed at the ntl related forums of nthw being sunk ??

You mean moved?

Having to access two sites sucks, and not being able to chit-chat on the "ntl managed" forum double sucks, but then in an idea world people wouldn't feel the need to chit chat in a topical forum.

There is no reason for ntl to censor anything that is critical of them, but by refusing to take part are you not censoring yourself?

Marcus_Tandy
25-06-2003, 16:30
Theres been an increase in domain name purchasing with the name nthellworld. Are people thinking of cybersquatting?

peterska2
25-06-2003, 16:51
Originally posted by Shabba
Is community online yet?

To the Best of my knowledge Community goes live on 01/07/03.

dont know about you lot but I will be keeping an eye on it to see how it goes.

Might even post in there but of course any thing I say will be entirely my opinion and have no reflection in offical ntl processes as I am no longer able to give offical info even if what i say is right.

Chris
25-06-2003, 17:08
Originally posted by peterska2
To the Best of my knowledge Community goes live on 01/07/03.

dont know about you lot but I will be keeping an eye on it to see how it goes.

Might even post in there but of course any thing I say will be entirely my opinion and have no reflection in offical ntl processes as I am no longer able to give offical info even if what i say is right.

I expect the community forum to be a useful on-line alternative to phoning tech support. To that end, I expect if I have a problem I will post a query in there. It would be preferable to sitting in a phone queue IMO. However I don't for a minute imagine that any banter, back-chat or criticism is going to be tolerated at ntl:community. For example, the Apple forum I use, the tech that posts an answer to the problem also closes the thread. After that only the person who started the thread can add to it, to report back on success/failure of the suggested fix.

If ntl:community is run anything like that, there will be little point sitting in there trawling threads and looking for discussions to join in on as we do on nthw.

basa
25-06-2003, 17:20
You mean moved?

No...'sunk'.....although the forums will be moved into the 'community' I expect they will be heavily moderated by ntl staff who cannot afford criticism.

Having to access two sites sucks, and not being able to chit-chat on the "ntl managed" forum double sucks, but then in an idea world people wouldn't feel the need to chit chat in a topical forum.

This is exactly why I expect what remains of nthw1 to slowly dissappear.

There is no reason for ntl to censor anything that is critical of them, but by refusing to take part are you not censoring yourself?

No reason ?? .. possibly, but they will, because this is not an ideal world.

We are taking part, and IMO a stronger part, by being here and other ntl critical forums they can't criticise or censor us (can they ?).

{FU}Fubar
25-06-2003, 17:26
well according to the online user counts on both forums .com is slowly on its way out wich is a damn shame :/

Defiant
25-06-2003, 23:15
Well if CJ, Neil or Frank turn up here i'm history, i would like to think i'm wrong. :(

Same here. Nothng again't Neil he has always been a good mod on their and fair but CJ upset allot of people behind the scene's allot of people and as for Frank well come on lets be honest here he sold the board to NTL for christ sake!!!!

Chris
26-06-2003, 00:29
Originally posted by Defiant
Same here. Nothng again't Neil he has always been a good mod on their and fair but CJ upset allot of people behind the scene's allot of people and as for Frank well come on lets be honest here he sold the board to NTL for christ sake!!!!

These guys are human for goodness' sake, whatever they may or may not have done (and I'm in no position to judge) can we not just let it go instead of bleating on about it like a bunch of kids?

And as for Frank 'selling out', until we have all been in the position of being able to sell something that cost us very little to set up for a substantial amount of cash, I suggest none of us is fit to judge him. Especially as we have no way of knowing his motivation.

It would reflect extremely badly on us if it turned out he really believed he had a great chance to influence things from the inside, while we sit here grandly accusing him of 'selling out'. Let's try and keep things in perspective here - Nthellworld.com was a website, not some big ideology.

For the record, I don't know any of them and have no personal reason to think either good or ill of them.

basa
26-06-2003, 08:55
Originally posted by towny
For the record, I don't know any of them and have no personal reason to think either good or ill of them.

So how do you judge people ?? ........by they way they dress, do their hair, their weight etc. ??

I judge (mainly) by what they do and what they say...whether that be face to face or by letter or email or admin a message board !! :rolleyes: