PDA

View Full Version : SACM Pin code required

gez
04-08-2004, 10:45
Hi guys,

Its a long story of ntl messing up preposterously (when isnt it?!), but basically what it comes down to is this; I had an ntl engineer visit my house this morning to give me a SACM (for some reason CS people decided to move my STB onto the non-broadband profile and i needed one for 1.5meg anyway) but didnt bother staying to check it was all working right and to sort me out with a PIN. I called customer services and told them and she said she'd have to wait for my mac to be registered on the system and then someone would get back to me within a day or so.
So if one of you could sort me out with a pin itd be much appreciated. What info do you need?

Cheers,
gez

MagicMan
04-08-2004, 10:54
hmmmm - sounds very familiar mate. Just had my SACM installed (new install) yesterday morning and so far (and after two calls to customer services) still no PIN number.

I'm going to give them another call this afternoon and see what the score is but somebody has promised me a phone call as soon as the PIN has been generated. I'm not quite sure what generating a PIN number entails but surely it can't be that difficult :-p

Russ
04-08-2004, 10:55
Welcome to the site! :wavey:

IIRC you WILL still need for the MAC address to be registered before getting a PIN.

Don't forget that if you do call NTL, take the name and extension number of anyone who promises you anything.

MovedGoalPosts
04-08-2004, 10:55
hi gez and :welcome: to cable forum.

The pin is something you will need to get from CS. This site does have some ntl staff visiting it, and helping out if they can, but as it is not part of ntl, cannot help you directly. It sounds as if you were being given the run around. If the modem is now on line, I would expect CS to be able to see it. Perhaps try the broadband support number or faults? Certainly don't expect a call back, it frequently doesn't happen.

gez
04-08-2004, 10:59
Yeah i called them after realising the mac was written on the bottom of the modem and gave them it (unsurprisingly the woman didnt know it was even there). And she claimed she'd emailed ?dave? to sort me a pin (why it takes two people i'm not really sure, runs back to the old joke of 'how many *** does it take to ***'). I'm not really expecting a call but just wondered if any of the ntl guys who visit here could push a few buttons.

Just to make things worse, for no reason atall someone in customer services moved my STB onto the no broadband profile so i dont even have the internet :(

MagicMan
04-08-2004, 11:00
Welcome to the site! :wavey:

IIRC you WILL still need for the MAC address to be registered before getting a PIN.

Don't forget that if you do call NTL, take the name and extension number of anyone who promises you anything.
Well, I have the names of the (very helpful) guys who I spoke to but alas, didn't get the extension for them. Still - I'm hopeful that something should happen today :) although reading some other posts I'm getting less and less confident.

Russ
04-08-2004, 11:07
It's essential to get the extension number and/or supervisor's names - it's the easist thing in the world for them to tell you whatever you want to hear in order to get you off the phone. Just taking their first names isn't good enough (they aren't supposed to give surnames) so it's best to get as much info as possible, even though the 'bad apples' are in the minority. Although this isn't restricted to NTL of course...

MovedGoalPosts
04-08-2004, 11:09
Just to make things worse, for no reason atall someone in customer services moved my STB onto the no broadband profile so i dont even have the internet :(

I would have expected that. If a dedicated modem is installed, the STB shouldn't be doing internet too.

gez
04-08-2004, 11:14
Youre not joking its not restricted to ntl. I work for my parents during holidays (infact i should have been there today and yesterday but cant go due to waiting on ntl (i'll request compensation but doubt it.)) and we spend hours on the phone to call centers (mainly insurance companies though recently i've been onto BT and Telewest RE: adsl aswell) and it's slowly making me suicidal :(

I cant decide whether its worse to get an engaged tone as i have with ntl recently or to just be put on hold with that oh-so-irritating female voice.

I suppose i'll just have to go and ring back and refuse to get off the phone till they give me a PIN or something.

gez
04-08-2004, 11:16
I would have expected that. If a dedicated modem is installed, the STB shouldn't be doing internet too.
Yeah i agree, however they killed my service yesterday morning... and they refuse to put it back on while they mess around making me a pin.

MagicMan
04-08-2004, 11:28
On the two occasions I have rung they haven't said they won't give me the PIN, just that they can't as opne hasn't been created yet. My main gripe is that it really can't be that difficult to create one as the second guy I spoke to yesterday tried to raise one (or so he said) and had no joy.

Russ
04-08-2004, 11:44
It wouldn't be fair to say "it can't be that difficult to create one" as we don't know the process involved.

MagicMan
04-08-2004, 11:51
It wouldn't be fair to say "it can't be that difficult to create one" as we don't know the process involved.
I understand that but its frustrating from an end user point of view. Don't get me wrong, I work in the IT business and I know problems do occur and are more likely when you have x number of customers and x number of devices on a network etc....

Like I said, its just frustrating. I'm in know way trying to be unfair on NTL (they do seem better than some other broadband suppliers) and I cannot fault the service based on the installation etc..... I'm just itching to get broadband goodness back as my DSL line was terminated when I moved house :(

Ignition
04-08-2004, 11:58
I'm not entirely au fait with the process however when I had a SACM replacement the service tech who replaced the modem phoned up CS and arranged for the modem to be registered on the network before he left, isn't this the way it's supposed to be rather than a quick drop off modem and run?

Hell's Child
04-08-2004, 13:48
At the moment SABS (the system used to manage bia on SACM) is not generating pins for upto 48 hours. If after this time the PIN still hasn't been generated there is a process where you can be registered manually (via Sales usually) then passed to Tech support for setup of the drivers etc.

Problem is if you have already had bia with us via set top box, you need to get tech support to assign your old mailbox id (so that your e-mail add stays the same)

As long as I don't get a mass amount of people asking me (I have work to do you know!!!) I can get the registry done for you if the pin hasn't been generated, PROVIDING you are in the new "london & north" area (i.e old NW, Leeds, some of the NE, and london). Drop me a pm with your acct no and i'll have a look.

MagicMan
04-08-2004, 14:04
As long as I don't get a mass amount of people asking me (I have work to do you know!!!) I can get the registry done for you if the pin hasn't been generated, PROVIDING you are in the new "london & north" area (i.e old NW, Leeds, some of the NE, and london). Drop me a pm with your acct no and i'll have a look.
Nice one - I've taken you up on your offer and PM'd you. Hopefully, you'll be able to help but if not - thanks for offering and trying mate. :)

Hell's Child
04-08-2004, 14:13
ts Nice one - I've taken you up on your offer and PM'd you. Hopefully, you'll be able to help but if not - thanks for offering and trying mate. :)
That acct no seems to be invalid... pm me your postcode and house no.

MagicMan
04-08-2004, 14:32
ts
That acct no seems to be invalid... pm me your postcode and house no.
erm.... I seem to have two account numbers (the one I gave you matches non of them) :-D

The PM I have just sent you explains more :)

MagicMan
06-08-2004, 09:23
An update on my PIN number problems is that a couple of (very helpful guys) from this forum have been looking into this for me and my connection has been force registered (meaning that I no longer require a PIN number)

The connection is physically functioning and I am able to ping, do nslookups and other things like that. I cannot use web, ftp, usenet, pop3, telnet etc....

Has anybody else had a similar problem or am I the only unlucky one?

maverick
06-08-2004, 13:38
What ip address are you getting

If it ends in the numbers between 249-255 reboot the modem.

MagicMan
06-08-2004, 14:44
IP address ends in 250!!! I've had an e-mail this morning from a helpful guy at NTL (also on the forum) who said that when the registration was forced, the wrong MAC address was registered for whatever reason.

Hopefully, once I get home tonight - I'll have my broadband goodness up and running :) as the NTL man has made the neccessary changes to their system and added the correct MAC address.

I've been without my DSL connection for months now and I'm itching to get back on-line (many online games to get back into)