PDA

View Full Version : Help needed, broadband not working at all

muncher83
03-08-2004, 19:39
Hi, I'm posting this on behalf of my uncle whose ntl cable modem is not working at all.

The modem lights come on but don't appear to be "normal" the ready and sync lights are rarely on together.

I've tried powering off for a minute and back on several times, no luck, no connection at all.

Connecting it to my laptop via ethernet gives a "network cable not connected" message sporadically, with a lack of normal lights on the modem.

I've tried typing http://192.168.100.1 in IE, that gives nothing at all.

Is there anything else I can try for him?

He's called ntl tech support who were utterly useless and the best they can do is get an engineer out to him in 19 days time which is totally unacceptable.

Stuartbe
03-08-2004, 19:41
Hi muncher83 and :welcome: to the site :)

It sounds like a signal problem if the sync light wont stay on. Have you been having very heavy rain around your area ?? It may be that water has got into the cabinet if it is secured correctly.

danvitale
03-08-2004, 19:48
Muncher83, Ive had no broadband service since thursday and I cant connect to the 192.168.100.1 either.

I would get you to call 0845 650 0121 and find out if your postcode is one of the areas with major problems.. but guess what??? THE PHONE MENU AT NTL HAS A FAULT!!!!

Bloody hell.

muncher83
03-08-2004, 19:50
Hi, thanks for the welcome, nice site BTW.

We have had a fair amount of rain recently, it may be that.

I have the same modem as he does, could I try that on his line or might it cause problems?

Failing that, is there anything that can be done at all? 19 days is just a joke.

Incidentally, my connection has now been upped to 750k :)

Stuartbe
03-08-2004, 19:50
* wonders if they have a fault reporting service to report a fault on the fault reporting service * :D

:LOL: I'l say this for NTL - They are entertaining.

Chris W
03-08-2004, 20:23
if tech support have put an engineer request through then an engineer visit is what is needed... nothing else that can be done i'm afraid!

carlingman
04-08-2004, 00:05
Hi, I'm posting this on behalf of my uncle whose ntl cable modem is not working at all.

The modem lights come on but don't appear to be "normal" the ready and sync lights are rarely on together.

I've tried powering off for a minute and back on several times, no luck, no connection at all.

Connecting it to my laptop via ethernet gives a "network cable not connected" message sporadically, with a lack of normal lights on the modem.

I've tried typing http://192.168.100.1 in IE, that gives nothing at all.

Is there anything else I can try for him?

He's called ntl tech support who were utterly useless and the best they can do is get an engineer out to him in 19 days time which is totally unacceptable.

To reiterate what has been said Im guessing if they have scheduled an engineer then it is probably needed.

However what modem is this as there are diagnostics programs available that can get readings to prove they maybe signal issues etc.

Post back here with the results.

Also if you cannot get to them have you tried accessing the 192.168 address with the catv cable unplugged as you can usually capture the signals when the modem lost the connection this way.

Failing that get back onto faults and see if they can speed along the booking by using a sob story or threaten to cancel.

:D

muncher83
04-08-2004, 01:36
It's an ntl home 100.

There's no cable TV.

Thanks

Sarky
04-08-2004, 07:54
Three weeks to have an engineer out for a completely non-working service?! What the heck are they playing at? Surely that's a breach of contract or something?

John.

GazzaB
04-08-2004, 12:58
Three weeks to have an engineer out for a completely non-working service?! What the heck are they playing at? Surely that's a breach of contract or something?

John.

Is this the next available appointment or the next appointment the user can make? That seems an awful long time of next slot!

muncher83
04-08-2004, 18:41
Is this the next available appointment or the next appointment the user can make? That seems an awful long time of next slot!

It's the next available slot!

hairy_mick
04-08-2004, 19:01
Hi if the syc/ready lights off then you may have a loss of signal may be disconnected at the cab also i have come across power supply fault the power light is on but the syc/ready will not lock changed power block and every think back to normal.

danvitale
06-08-2004, 10:41
Muncher, how is the broadband now? Mine hasnt worked in eight days!

Neil
06-08-2004, 12:03

Have you spoken to ntl about this? :erm:

danvitale
06-08-2004, 12:20
Yes. I finally got through to them, I asked if someone could tell me whats going on, they couldnt at the time and I asked for someone to call me back. That was yesterday at around 7:30pm.

muncher83
07-08-2004, 00:57

Still not working!