PDA

View Full Version : depression

paulyoung666
03-08-2004, 18:55
how many ppl suffer from it i wonder , after having a very nasty accident at work last october i have finally decided that i am suffering from it , i was wondering if anyone else would like to share any experiences they have about it , i aint done this lightly as it is not something most ppl talk about openly , but if anyone wants to join in then feel free :erm: :D

Xaccers
03-08-2004, 19:17
I have. Work related. Was on fluoxitine. Side effect: Burst out laughing for no reason whilst walking through staines highstreet.

MetaWraith
03-08-2004, 19:22
I suffered from it, shortly after the realisation of impending redundancy set in (25 yrs service too). It disappeared as soon as I'd accepted one of the offers i'd recieved after spending considerable time doing the CV/JobSites/Interview thing. Fortunately, in my case termination date and start of new job where only separated by a single weekend.

I have ex-colleagues who havent been lucky and still havent found jobs several months later, some of those are in depression.

What helped me most during the period i was suffering was maintaining as much social contact and activity as possible, so as to avoid becoming broody, and deepening the depression.

I totally sympathise with sufferers of depression, it can be crippling, but you have to help yourself climb out of it.

Earl of Bronze
03-08-2004, 19:23
I know since my partner died in Feburary, that I havent had an easy time of things. Havent slept well in months, flashbacks to the accident, nightmares. My life has been a huge $h1t sandwich since the accident, I feel guilty that I survived while a person 10 times the human being didnt make it. Every time I look in the mirror, a stranger looks back and all I see is bitterness. Even better, my solicitor is sending me to see a psychiatrist. So it seems I'm going bonkers. lol :disturbd: :spin:

kronas
03-08-2004, 19:25
well as some of you already know im going through it now, although its not as bad as it got at times previously, spontanious crying, feeling low.

at the moment its boredom, frustration, lack of clear thinking, lack of positive thoughts....

amongst other things....

Electrolyte01
03-08-2004, 19:29
Kronas, I have the same thing. Always bored, frustrated easily, can't think very well, and I can never think of something positive. And I have to add in I can't sleep well any more.

kronas
03-08-2004, 19:30
And I have to add in I can't sleep well any more.

same here. :erm:

Earl of Bronze
03-08-2004, 19:31
well as some of you already know im going through it now, although its not as bad as it got at times previously, spontanious crying, feeling low.

at the moment its boredom, frustration, lack of clear thinking, lack of positive thoughts....

amongst other things....

I thought with getting the job, and getting out and about you where getting a handle on things?

Bifta
03-08-2004, 19:34
how many ppl suffer from it i wonder , after having a very nasty accident at work last october i have finally decided that i am suffering from it , i was wondering if anyone else would like to share any experiences they have about it , i aint done this lightly as it is not something most ppl talk about openly , but if anyone wants to join in then feel free :erm: :D

I suffered with it after I lost my daughter, there's no miracle cure unfortunately but you should go and speak to your doctor who might not necessarily stick you straight on anti-depressents but will be able to offer advice that might help.

bbwannabe
03-08-2004, 19:34
i think i maybe suffering it. Have not been officially diagnosed, but im bored most of the time and suffer lack of energy most of the day... for me its probably lack of relationship with girls.

kronas
03-08-2004, 19:35
I thought with getting the job, and getting out and about you where getting a handle on things?

im not hijacking this thread, my blog has the majority of the information in it.

http://blogs.nthellworld.co.uk/kronas/

Escapee
03-08-2004, 19:36
I was suffering badly a few years ago, much of it was stress and frustration but I'm not sure where you draw the line between Stress and depression.

I would be fine in work even though things were far from good, but at home i would get wound up at the slightest thing and burst into tears. I didn't find the doctor any good and I suffered very badly with Psoriasis as I mentioned before on here.

I am much better these days but people who think they know me well would be suprised at how I was feeling and reacting whilst in the confines of my home. I guess I caused much amusement for the neighbours as I would go into a rage and throw things around and smash things up to vent my anger and frustration. I would end up going off to bed and within 30 minutes it would all seem so silly that I got worked up over some little thing that didn't go right.

At the end of the day it was all to do with my job and seeing people without skills getting on better than I was through bulls**t, we had quite a few ex-forces types like that in ntl and it just made me feel a failure. I think it got a little worse for a few years after I left ntl because I found that I could not attain the same sort of position in other companies because unlike ntl there were good people out there who were equal or superior to myself, elsewhere I am just an engineer and principle engineers like myself were two a penny in ntl and the title didn't mean you were necessarily any good.

In ntl you just needed that little bit extra initiative and drive to shine and be better than the average person, out in the real world its much different but I am happier as I try not to get stressed or depressed when I feel I should be a lot further forward with my career. in fact I would say my knowledge stagnated at ntl but now I am working with some very clever people it has pushed me to learn new things.

Stress - Depression.... Where do you divide these.

bopdude
03-08-2004, 19:49
Have suffered from \ am still suffering from time to time, for about 2 years, I think, I can't say properly as I have a mental block on time and the some things that have happened in those 2 or so years, probably the human self preservation thing kicking in, as stated previously, it comes and goes, in my case I can go from a happy go lucky not a care type to raving lunatic to just crying, anywhere any time, no matter who's about, it does not follow a pattern with me, when it happens I just hide it, well, most of the time, or try to, it does not always work and then depending on the mood as above, anything can happen.

P.S. Raving lunatic isn't the best description, maybe more like...... well, not nice, anyhoo he doesn't come out often now, thank the stars.

paulyoung666
03-08-2004, 20:15
I suffered with it after I lost my daughter, there's no miracle cure unfortunately but you should go and speak to your doctor who might not necessarily stick you straight on anti-depressents but will be able to offer advice that might help.

i went today my mate , i had sort of broached the subject with him before , today i caved in and said he had been expecting it , is my doc physchic :erm: :D , anyway he put me on fluox==something and i suppose i will have to see how i go on , thanks so far peeps , much appreciated --- paul :)

MetaWraith
03-08-2004, 20:21
fluvoxamine ??? some nasty side effects there, hope you dont get them.

paulyoung666
03-08-2004, 20:22
fluvoxamine ??? some nasty side effects there, hope you dont get them.

oooooooooooh nice , as he runs to cupboard to check :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd: :D :D :D
i can still laugh :) :)

fluoxetine is that the same stuff , just read the leaflet :erm:
time will tell i suppose :D

Bex
03-08-2004, 20:47
i admit that i have suffered from depression since i was about 15.... people may say that it was just hormones, but it was more than that, it was a reaction to what was occuring in my life. for the last four or five years the doc has tried to put me on anti-depressants, but i have always refused, because i saw the effect it had on my ex fiance. But i did see a counsellor for years

i find when i am depressed, i can't sleep, can't concentrate, can't see any way out of the situation i am in.... and i get paranoid and insecure as well and lock myself away from everyone........ it's not nice. i still get bouts at times, but i'm lucky now that i have someone to talk through everything with.

Paul
03-08-2004, 20:54
Sorry - never suffered from it, and probably never will - it's not in my nature.

bopdude
03-08-2004, 21:00
Sorry - never suffered from it, and probably never will - it's not in my nature.
I'm pleased you are as strong in yourself as i used to think I was, fingers crossed you are never proven wrong mate, it's not a nice place to go or be in :(

paulyoung666
03-08-2004, 21:04

well i hope you carry on that way my mate, believe me it kinda creeps up on you :erm:

Chimaera
03-08-2004, 21:05
I had never suffered from depression until I had my first baby.
Then when she was a few days old I got the usual 'baby blues' - crying for no apparent reason and stuff. When I got back home (not till she was 10 days old because I had suffered a near lethal reaction to the anaesthetic used in the Caesarean) I just didn't feel right - couldn't eat or sleep, didn't get dressed for days - but was obsessive in caring for the baby. I would be up till all hours cleaning and doing the housework - I didn't realise I was ill. I just thought she was a demanding baby (she was a non stop screamer!) and that was how things were supposed to be. I thought everyone would be better off without me as I was obviously such a bad mother - I used to lie awake thinking of the 'best' way to commit suicide..........
My GP diagnosed the problem but not till she was 4 months old - by this time I weighed 6 stone and was a wreck. Sadly the doctor would not prescribe anti-depressants but wanted to send me to the mother and baby unit at our local psychiatric hospital - I was all for it until I found I would have to take the baby with me! Luckily by this time I had a really supportive health visitor who was worth her weight in gold - she was literally a life saver, just by talking to me and convincing me that I was not going mad. I recovered after a year and happily did not suffer when my second daughter was born, when the first was 19 months old.
I have been a counsellor for women with PND, it's not just a case of being 'a bit fed up' with the baby - if you have a bad case of it then the effects are awful - sometimes affecting the whole family for ever.

Chimaera
03-08-2004, 21:06
It's not in my nature either - sometimes external factors can change things and depression is the result :(

kronas
03-08-2004, 22:39
It's not in my nature either - sometimes external factors can change things and depression is the result :(

im sorry to hear about whats happend in your past, it does seem the problems people can experiance are varied, sometimes finding a way out is hard, but atleast you can see a sort of first hand look from others that there is a way out, when, where, how, is a totally diffarent matter.

its the nature of the problems you face, its not as easy as to just snap out of it.

i suppose you find many questions but few answers, where to get the answers ? that initself is something to think about.

Tezcatlipoca
03-08-2004, 22:56

I had it around 6 years ago, or so. It was caused by a variety of factors....some internal, some external...

It was, most definitely, not an enjoyable experience.

I was prescribed fluoxetine hydrochloride (prozac) for about a year, then came off it for a while, but then went back on it for 9 months or so (as the depression came back). It seemed to work quite well.

I also tried counselling, which I think is a good idea (as it tries to treat the causes, rather than the symptoms - unlike anti-depressants) [Although it did no use for me, as I didn't like the counsellor, & couldn't "open up"].

I suffered from no side effects, & I think it's fine for most people.

It's certainly better than paroxetine ("Seroxat"). I would not wish to be prescribed that...

Anyway. My sympathy to you & everyone else in this thread who has suffered (or is suffering) from depression.

Tezcatlipoca
03-08-2004, 22:56
sometimes external factors can change things and depression is the result :(

Yeah :(

Stuart
03-08-2004, 23:26
Kronas: I forget, have you tried counselling?

I had a friend (lost touch with her when she moved out of the area) who is a part time counsellor. She is actually qualified, and, although I have never suffered depression, when I did have problems, she was particularly efficient at finding out what was wrong and actually helped me a lot.

Of course, the downside is that if there is something she wants to know, it's incredibly hard not to tell her.

kronas
03-08-2004, 23:28
Kronas: I forget, have you tried counselling? I had a friend (lost touch with her when she moved out of the area) who is a part time counsellor. She is actually qualified, and, although I have never suffered depression, when I did have problems, she was particularly efficient at finding out what was wrong..

had my first session the other week im going again the next monday.

Stuart
03-08-2004, 23:28
had my first session the other week im going again the next monday.
I hope it is going well for you...

kronas
03-08-2004, 23:30
I hope it is going well for you...

it has actually, a few things were recommend that stopped some of the feelings i had.

but other issues are still ongoing, plus new factors :(

paulyoung666
03-08-2004, 23:33
it has actually, a few things were recommend that stopped some of the feelings i had.

but other issues are still ongoing, plus new factors :(

so if i had the balls to start the ball rolling then are you willing to share it with us , optional of course :D , you can always tell me to feck off if you want :D :D

kronas
03-08-2004, 23:36
so if i had the balls to start the ball rolling then are you willing to share it with us , optional of course :D , you can always tell me to feck off if you want :D :D

no sure go right ahead :)

MovedGoalPosts
03-08-2004, 23:38
Side effect: Burst out laughing for no reason whilst walking through staines highstreet.

:notopic: I think that's actually normal behaviour. Staines High Street is something of a joke. :D

Seriously, I am fortunate enough not to have had problems in this way (that I'm aware of), buit after my sister's bad car crash I've seen the mess that mental and physical problems can do to a person, compounded by the side effects of so called beneficial medication. Those who have difficulties have my sympathy.

kronas
03-08-2004, 23:41
compounded by the side effects of so called beneficial medication. Those who have difficulties have my sympathy.

i stayed away from them for months, because i knew of the affects they have.

i eventually submitted and tried them out, it improved my thinking slightly, but disabled my ability to work.

and also made me rather numb with emotions....

stopped taking them after a week.

Ramrod
03-08-2004, 23:42
Just read through this thread. Holy cr*p people! :( :ghugs:My heart goes out to (especially EOB and Bifta ) you :mis: had my first session the other week im going again the next monday.
:tu: :)

paulyoung666
03-08-2004, 23:52
so i walk into work on a fine saturday morning , looking to get finished at about dinnertime, come 10-00 am i am laid on a stretcher heading towards the local hospital with a leg that has lost feeling and bloodflow to it , am i scared , too fecking right i am , 7 hours later i have a leg repaired to the point of the blood flow being restored but the nerve damage will last for how long ??????????? , approx 1mm a day to regrow i hear :( , talking well over a year to get it sorted , am i ****ed off , too right i am , did it get me down , not at the beginning it didnt , does it now , too right it does , do i want to be like this , no i dont , why am i doing this , because i want to , does it make me feel better , yes it does in a weird sort of way , bear with me please :D

Electrolyte01
04-08-2004, 00:06
Feck off! :D :D :D

kronas
04-08-2004, 00:24
ok mine is a strange one last november i was fine relatively happy, i had freinds, everything was ticking along nicely...

all of a sudden i became disinterested in my freinds, most noteably anything they said or did became irritating, i became silent, easily irratable, withdrawn from everyone even my family.....

everything anyone did would annoy me or 'hurt' me in some sense, in the end by january i lost all my freinds....

i snapped at people, cost me freinds.

i became suicidal, emotionless almost, i felt down and depressed spontanious amounts of crying....

it lasted for months...and it is still ongoing.

but over the past 2 months i would say it has dissipated, i got a job that was a positive step, but i still had the negativity and the crying... the preasure was ubearable.

i gained new freinds who seem to have the intelligence of a gold fish, i dont really know why i am with them, some of you have already seen them around the forums, it got me out and about...

but i am still depressed, down, unable to think positively, i cant see ways out of situations, i have little or no emotion.

no drive to live life, inside my mind wants me to do things, i dont know what, the determination is not there....

i have trouble sleeping, before i quit my job i ate more, slept better.

thats gone now out of the window.....

so i am stuck, like a headless chicken directionless.

Maggy
04-08-2004, 00:27
I've never ever entered a black trough of despair.I've had the usual moments of panic when I've got waaaaay too much month left and when one mortgage repayment was bounced but I've never ever been depressed.I tend to get angry rather than depressed.I got angry when I was 13 and my father died.I got angry when I was 24 and my mother died.
I got slightly depressed and then blazing angry when my teaching practice tutor gave me a pass minus(thus ensuring that I couldn't challenge him because he didn't give me a straight fail,barsteward!).When I got a credit the next year my then tutor asked me what happened.I only had to tell him the name of my former tutor for him to know why. :mad:

I find anger is cathartic provided I use it to inspire me to get on with things.Sometimes it can help me to do better at something because I am trying to prove something.Lets hope I can keep depression at bay for the rest of my life.I tend to think that I've had a reasonably good life compared to some and I therefore have nothing to be depressed about.

Just as long as I've a roof over my family's heads and some food on the table I hope I can avoid depression.It's great having a sister 8 years older than my self to moan to as well.We keep each other going especially since our mother died 27 years ago. :)

Talking certainly helps. :D

MadGamer
04-08-2004, 00:29
Well since i moved to my Junior school i have been bullied by this kid who thinks he is so much better than everybody else. When he didnt like something he always used to run away from school and they would call the police out to go and find him. When i moved to my secondary school in 2000, things setteled down untill year 8. He would then drag things up from my days in Junior school and i used to get so upset. I would go and hide in my room, untill one night i was crying in my bed and thats when my parents found out. I told them everything that he and my form were doing and saying. As a result i took weeks off school, only to find that they did **** all about it.

Jerrek
04-08-2004, 05:02
I have never ever suffered from depression or any other mental disease. :)

Richard M
04-08-2004, 05:26
I have never ever suffered from depression or any other mental disease. :)

Well good for you.
At least three people I know of suffer from it, including my younger sister who I helped through the tragic, disturbing and quite frankly, horrific loss of our father about a year ago.
She's been on anti-depressants since then and she's only just turned 18. :(

dilli-theclaw
04-08-2004, 09:10
I always thought I had depression - turns out I had/have something else. (Which a few people on here know what - and I'm planning on keeping it that way)

But depression is a really bad thing - and can be - quite frankly - a pain in the arse :(

Mr_love_monkey
04-08-2004, 09:22
Well, thankfully I've never had it, that I know of - though reading through this thread there are symptoms that I would say I've had over times - but that doesn't really mean anything.

My wife suffered from it for a few years before I knew her, for certain reasons. She says it was the worst time ever in her life, and the one time she's ever really thought about suicide.

I remember seeing adverts in one of the tube stations not so long ago, saying that more people are on anti-depressants than voted for pop idol - it's a shocking figure really.

orangebird
04-08-2004, 10:32
I've never had it, and unless it's triggered from some terrible incident (Biftas case, EOB case) or hormonal change (post natal), I have a really hard time understanding it...I've been miserable, I've lost friends and family in crappy circumstances, I've had complete stress from work (crying in the car for a good ten minutes before being able to drive home), but still, I don't think I've had depression - I think that depression and subsequent pills are diagnosed and prescribed far too easily (and not that accurately..either).

Neil
04-08-2004, 10:48
I've never had it, and unless it's triggered from some terrible incident (Biftas case, EOB case) or hormonal change (post natal), I have a really hard time understanding it...I've been miserable, I've lost friends and family in crappy circumstances, I've had complete stress from work (crying in the car for a good ten minutes before being able to drive home), but still, I don't think I've had depression - I think that depression and subsequent pills are diagnosed and prescribed far too easily (and not that accurately..either).

That's the thing though-people who are depressed often don't realise that they are, it is only through friends & family that recognise the signs. :(

I've been through it (not me personally), & it is quite simply one of the most horrible afflications/situations/whatever that you can (can't?) imagine. :tu:

[Edit]-I wasn't suggesting that you are/were depressed there. :)

Escapee
04-08-2004, 10:51

I agree that pills are given out too freely and stress/depression is probably diagnosed to easily, in my case I would not go to see my doctor because I didn't want to take time off work with stress as I thought it would look bad on my record and if applying for another job.

Anyone who thinks they will never suffer could be very wrong, I could never understand the stress/depression thing and always thought it was a case of swinging the lead.

I never realised I could be so wrong until it hit me!

dr wadd
04-08-2004, 10:52

I was on fluoxetine for a little over a year before taking myself off of it. I felt that the side effects were outweighing the benefits, and the impression I got from the doctor was that she was more interested in giving me a bottle of pills and moving on to the next patient, so I had little time for her after that.

GPs seem very keen to throw pills at a patient as a quick fix and very reluctant to accept the fact that a patient might know more about a specific field than they do.

Neil
04-08-2004, 11:01
http://directory.google.com/Top/Health/Pharmacy/Drugs_and_Medications/F/Fluoxetine/

orangebird
04-08-2004, 11:11
That's the thing though-people who are depressed often don't realise that they are, it is only through friends & family that recognise the signs. :(

I've been through it (not me personally), & it is quite simply one of the most horrible afflications/situations/whatever that you can (can't?) imagine. :tu:

[Edit]-I wasn't suggesting that you are/were depressed there. :)

I know I'm not! ;)

My friend got diagnosed with post natal depression 2 years!!! after the baby was born. I've seen what it's like for her, and no it's not nice. But I still think there's a lot of misdiagnosing (is that a word?? :dunce: ), and that (unprovoked ie not physically or specific to an incident) 'depression' is used as an excuse (by the sufferer and/or the doctor) for those that can't be arsed to sort out what really is the matter. Extra retardent flame suit donned appropriately. :erm:

Escapee
04-08-2004, 11:43
I know I'm not! ;)

My friend got diagnosed with post natal depression 2 years!!! after the baby was born. I've seen what it's like for her, and no it's not nice. But I still think there's a lot of misdiagnosing (is that a word?? :dunce: ), and that (unprovoked ie not physically or specific to an incident) 'depression' is used as an excuse (by the sufferer and/or the doctor) for those that can't be arsed to sort out what really is the matter. Extra retardent flame suit donned appropriately. :erm:

I dont think its always easy to understand what is the cause of the problem, in my case it was something I shouldn't of given a toss about. I found stress and ultimately depression built up over silly things.

I think its right that the person affected is the last to know, I thought throwing things around, being moody, threatening people and shouting was normal. :D

Earl of Bronze
04-08-2004, 18:00
For me it's the guilt of having survived the accident, while Maureen did'nt. It has'nt helped that (from my point of view), that on every other night I had gotten a lift in my mates car, that I had sat in the seat Maureen was in at the time of the crash. Because Maureen was taller than me I gave up my seat because of more leg-room. All I know now is that it should have been me.

paulyoung666
04-08-2004, 18:02
really feel for you :(

Jules
08-08-2004, 21:44
I have been on and off antidepressants from the age of 15 until I reached my 30's and finally excepted that I can't live my life with out them...I am not ashamed as it is an illness like any other

paulyoung666
08-08-2004, 22:04
I have been on and off antidepressants from the age of 15 until I reached my 30's and finally excepted that I can't live my life with out them...I am not ashamed as it is an illness like any other

hey up jules hows it going ????????? :)

Bex
08-08-2004, 22:41
good to see you on the forum again jules :D

have been thinking about the whole depression thing, i think everyone has a rock.... maybe for some it is religious belief, a person, loved one, or a hobby that they cling to when they are feeling low

Bifta
08-08-2004, 22:53
good to see you on the forum again jules :D

have been thinking about the whole depression thing, i think everyone has a rock.... maybe for some it is religious belief, a person, loved one, or a hobby that they cling to when they are feeling low

They do?

Stuart
08-08-2004, 22:59
They do?
OK. Maybe some people do..

Bifta
08-08-2004, 23:05
When people are clinically depressed, generally they don't have an interest in anything (or anyone) at least from what I've experienced personally and seen in others.

kronas
08-08-2004, 23:28
When people are clinically depressed, generally they don't have an interest in anything (or anyone) at least from what I've experienced personally and seen in others.

that practically describes me, its not that i dont care, its just caring about something or someone is.....:shrug: how should i put not emotive for me :erm:

Macca371
08-08-2004, 23:55
I have recurring depression but my mum is convinced that the a visit to the doctor won't solve it. I am a terrible sleeper - my sleep pattern was terrible at one point, I was completely nocturnal and the lack of sunlight didn't do any good. I also get bored very easily and very few things arouse my interest. I also tend to be dangerously introvertive and avoid social contact.

I also suffer from panic attacks every now and then. Not many people understand just how bad these are in their fully blown forms.

kronas
08-08-2004, 23:57
I also suffer from panic attacks every now and then. Not many people understand just how bad these are in their fully blown forms.

i have been there :sorry: :mis:

Macca371
08-08-2004, 23:58
i have been there :sorry: :mis:

But you're not there now? They went away?

paulyoung666
09-08-2004, 00:01
I have recurring depression but my mum is convinced that the a visit to the doctor won't solve it. I am a terrible sleeper - my sleep pattern was terrible at one point, I was completely nocturnal and the lack of sunlight didn't do any good. I also get bored very easily and very few things arouse my interest. I also tend to be dangerously introvertive and avoid social contact.

if i may offer a word of advise , listen to your doctor first then listen to yourself then listen to your mother :)

Macca371
09-08-2004, 00:10
if i may offer a word of advise , listen to your doctor first then listen to yourself then listen to your mother :)

I see what you mean... her interests aren't malevolent, it's just that she believes that it might disperse naturally and that it's just hormonal. Hope she's right. She says that medication should always be a last resort. I've also heard a lot of bad reports about anti-depressants.

My anxiety levels also seem to have improved, after having been through a very bad patch of them throughout my GCSEs a few month ago.

Bex
09-08-2004, 00:12
I see what you mean... her interests aren't malevolent, it's just that she believes that it might disperse naturally and that it's just hormonal. Hope she's right. She says that medication should always be a last resort. I've also heard a lot of bad reports about anti-depressants.
my ex actually had worse panic attacks while on anti-depressants than he did before he was on them, and believe me i know how awful they are to witness

kronas
09-08-2004, 00:21
But you're not there now? They went away?

sort of, almost had one today, the thing that has stopped them is st johns wort, i started taking those pills and they have improved my well being somewhat.

paulyoung666
09-08-2004, 00:25

My anxiety levels also seem to have improved, after having been through a very bad patch of them throughout my GCSEs a few month ago.

so i assume you are 15-16 years old and female , she might be right but this is something that cannot be messed about with , trust me :)

Macca371
09-08-2004, 00:35
so i assume you are 15-16 years old and female , she might be right but this is something that cannot be messed about with , trust me :)
Almost... I'm male.

If I have another unbearable episode, I'll take a trip to the doctor.

Recently, I only get them when I am tired.

Macca371
09-08-2004, 00:37
my ex actually had worse panic attacks while on anti-depressants than he did before he was on them, and believe me i know how awful they are to witness

Yeah, my mum said that might happen.

kronas
09-08-2004, 00:39
Yeah, my mum said that might happen.

well i tried them (anti depressants) and they just disabled my ability to work, they stop you from thinking really.

they work for some people though, it depends on the strength of them.

paulyoung666
09-08-2004, 00:42
well i tried them (anti depressants) and they just disabled my ability to work, they stop you from thinking really.

i see where you are coming from to a point , i am a week into taking them and i seem to be coping so far , but with 2 kids to support then i have to get on with it ;) :)

kronas
09-08-2004, 00:46
i see where you are coming from to a point , i am a week into taking them and i seem to be coping so far , but with 2 kids to support then i have to get on with it ;) :)

although, i have first hand experiance of what they can do to you, and im not just talking about me having taken them for a brief period either...

:erm:

bopdude
09-08-2004, 00:50

I know what you mean, forget what i was on, mind went totally, forget foregeting days and dates, I have lost months / years. And on top of it all, I really don't know if i'm better off, sometimes ... ish, it all comes back, and here we go again

kronas
09-08-2004, 00:53
I know what you mean, forget what i was on, mind went totally, forget foregeting days and dates, I have lost months / years. And on top of it all, I really don't know if i'm better off, sometimes ... ish, it all comes back, and here we go again

yes, the memory aspect of it still gets to me aswell, even now im not taking them, i only took them for a week, i have always had reservations about them.

but atleast i tried :shrug:

bopdude
09-08-2004, 01:05
yes, the memory aspect of it still gets to me aswell, even now im not taking them, i only took them for a week, i have always had reservations about them.

but atleast i tried :shrug:
A week ??? I was told to take whatever it was for at least two weeks before it would start to kick in :shrug:

kronas
09-08-2004, 01:07
A week ??? I was told to take whatever it was for at least two weeks before it would start to kick in :shrug:

they kicked in after 2 days, by that time i was so out of it i was seriously going to get sacked proberbly :erm: after a week stopped taking them and started doing my job perfectly fine :erm:

Maggy
09-08-2004, 01:16

It could be that she worries about the 'stigma' associated not just to depression but all mental illness.She may not truly comprehend just how bad you feel.I think a visit to the doctor is your first decision and get as much info for your mother as you can to help her to understand and to be able to help you.She's just frightened for you and that's probably coming from lack of info.

Mind you are probably going through one of the MOST stressful periods of your life right now.When you have finished all your education and have a settled job you may well find that the stress levels out.It did for me.

Mind teaching my very first lesson,in my very first job,my stress levels went through the roof.

Incog. ;)

Bex
09-08-2004, 10:38
docs do normally tell you to take them for a while, because it takes the body a while to absorb the drug and therefore a while for them effectively start to work

Bifta
09-08-2004, 11:17

Doctor told me up to 6 weeks, took slightly longer.

Jules
09-08-2004, 11:59
hey up jules hows it going ????????? :)

I am doing good thanks Paul, sorry to hear that you are not too good though :(

Hi Bex it has been a while :D

paulyoung666
09-08-2004, 12:09
Paul has never told you all, but I also suffer from depression and I have done since the age of 17, 12 years in total. So imagine how poor Paul feels, having to deal with twice, himself and me. I would noot wish it on my own worst ememy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timewarrior2001
25-08-2004, 22:14
After being referred here, I still feel that I'm not depressed, but perhaps suffering from Stress.

I feel fine in my self except the severe fatigue and the general achy kind of pain I get most days.

I just get up and get on with it, but today I have been presribed Prozac (well under its drug name not trade name).
I'm in some ways shocked, but doc is certain they will help me, I have a 4 week course and after that a review.

Awaiting to see what happens and if I get any of the side effects. As long as I lose the tiredness I'll be happy.

Tezcatlipoca
25-08-2004, 22:43
I hope you manage to get better soon :)

Also, make sure you complete the course of fluoxetine. IIRC, it can take a couple of weeks to start having an effect.

kronas
25-08-2004, 23:45
After being referred here, I still feel that I'm not depressed, but perhaps suffering from Stress.

I feel fine in my self except the severe fatigue and the general achy kind of pain I get most days.

I just get up and get on with it, but today I have been presribed Prozac (well under its drug name not trade name).
I'm in some ways shocked, but doc is certain they will help me, I have a 4 week course and after that a review.

Awaiting to see what happens and if I get any of the side effects. As long as I lose the tiredness I'll be happy.

seems like stress to me, hope you regain full fitness asap :)

Macca371
01-10-2004, 21:40
I wonder if this is depression what I am experiencing right now.

I think it's something to do with the change in seasons. It is happening right now and it happen in March, maybe it's something to do with changes in the amount of natural light, I dunno, but it seems that everything right now is kinda in a different light, not literally really but I feel that everything is a light horrible yellow and blurry. This isn't literal but I think that anyone who has been through this would understand what I'm talking about. I also feel very insecure and very emotional, I feel the need to talk to people and spend time with them. I feel very different, as though I've been through a big change or something.

Anyone understand? :) Is this depression or just a mild blip or something?