PDA

View Full Version : Price Rises etc

cymap1
02-08-2004, 12:34
Hi guys , forgive me for posting this as i have done a couple of searches and cant see the wood for the trees. Anyway we were told a while back that there was going to be an increase for the 1mb up to £37.99 from £34.99 ...so what happened as I was expecting this to happen. Then on my search i see posts referring to a price decrease because other companies are dropping. Can someone actually explain what is happening . Thanks, mark

SOSAGES
02-08-2004, 13:12
prices are going up - someone said they may go down as adsl price for 1 meg dropped to 30 quid i think - nothing has been set in stone about that - as far as im aware its 37.99 for the 1meg ..

jem16
02-08-2004, 13:45
prices are going up - someone said they may go down as adsl price for 1 meg dropped to 30 quid i think - nothing has been set in stone about that - as far as im aware its 37.99 for the 1meg ..

It's now 1.5mb for £37.99

cymap1
02-08-2004, 14:05
Thanks guys, we will wait and see . I thought the rises were due this last bill but mine is still £34.99. Perhaps its going to be the next one then.

ian@huth
02-08-2004, 14:54
Some areas charge cable modems in advance and other areas in arrears so there can be a month difference in when charges appear on bills.

Chrysalis
02-08-2004, 15:54
interesting more inconsistencies between area's.

ntl is more like a group of small companies then one.

orangebird
02-08-2004, 16:06
interesting more inconsistencies between area's.

ntl is more like a group of small companies then one.

You're not serious, are you?.... :rofl: :erm:

DeadKenny
02-08-2004, 17:27
Hi guys , forgive me for posting this as i have done a couple of searches and cant see the wood for the trees. Anyway we were told a while back that there was going to be an increase for the 1mb up to £37.99 from £34.99 ...so what happened as I was expecting this to happen. Then on my search i see posts referring to a price decrease because other companies are dropping. Can someone actually explain what is happening . Thanks, mark

Price went up a few months back. It's £37.99 for 1Mbps. My bill went up straight away:mad:. If yours hasn't maybe you've got away with a billing screw-up (nothing unusual for NTL).

It'll be 1.5Mbps eventually when the upgrade occurs.

Whether you think that's justifiable on the basis of the speed increase or not, NTL's 1Gb per day capped 1.5Mbps at £38 a month is still WAY overpriced. AOL offer unlimited 1Mbps for £29.99, and that's AOL!! Telewest didn't see fit to put the price up even with their speed increase (still £35 a month for 1.5Mbps).

The price decrease was never promised. NTL just said they might review it. It would be a big U-Turn if they do, but it's unlikely when one of the NTL bosses goes around branding 1Mbps users as "bandwidth hoggers" :mad:.

If NTL decide to drop it to £35 I'd still be annoyed as I never asked for an increase to 1.5Mbps, and I'd rather pay less for 1Mbps (i.e. £30) than pay £5 more for 1.5Mbps. If they don't change it at all, I'll probably switch to ADSL or failing that (if I can't get it), drop to what will be the 750kbps service. NTL's loss, but if they can't price their products competitively, what do they expect.

peacedude2k4
02-08-2004, 17:32
I kinda agree especially with larger game demo's trailers and stuff the average long term internet user easily busts 1gb per day I know i do no trouble espcially with 300mb game trailers and demos and freeware old copies just downloaded GTA ( classic ) first one free from rockstargames.com and thats 350mb.

As for price well it is high but aint the worst I mean check BT out last I heard there prices was even worse
As for NTL my only two gripes are the goddam e-mail thing which NEVER works :mad:

and that stupid poxy 1gb per day crap, which is easily reached.

Chrysalis
02-08-2004, 17:47
hard to comment on because 37.99 for unmetered 1.5mbit is pretty good but for 1gig/day its poor however the 1 gig/day isnt enforced so I guess ntl have priced accordingly.

peacedude2k4
02-08-2004, 19:13
Well i have heard of peeps getting letters asking to tone down there internet use, but when other companys have no caps on there BB its a little silly a 1gb cap i have nearly hit that already today with two game downloads i'm around 960mb already coupled with use of normal net going to sites and streaming radio i bet i am past it.

Does take the royal mickey I think but no letter yet so i think NTL keeping huss cos there own limit is so silly who would want job of enforcing it.

DeadKenny
02-08-2004, 21:45
How about the Star Wars Galaxies trial download? 2GB!

Easily exceeds the limit in one day.

Add to that a download of Fedora Core (3x 650mb) and perhaps some video media (which NTL are trialling a service for), and you'd easily hit the 3 days in a row rule (which I think is the criteria for being considered an "offender").

Download sizes are only going to increase and that's just for your average user who's not interested in 24/7 P2P downloading. NTL need to wake up to the fact that the internet will get faster and download sizes will get bigger, and not have the attitude of "we need to discourage people from using the bandwidth".

peacedude2k4
02-08-2004, 22:37
As far as i am concerend about the bandwith cap NTL can go kiss my 1.5mb arsÃÃâ€*’© cos I will keep downloading demo's for friends music videos for sites i have paid for and mp3s from sites i have paid for and if they dont like it i will take my custom elsewhere!

Tezcatlipoca
02-08-2004, 23:15

:welcome:

As others have said: the 1mb price has already gone up to £37.99. If your latest bill still has it at £34.99, the new price will presumably be on your next one (unless there was some sort of screw up).

Original thread about the price increases (including the 1mb going up to £37.99) - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=6268

News article about the current £37.99p cm 1mb price being "under review" due to BT cutting its prices - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/65/ntl-reviews-1mbps-service-price

Thread about the £37.99p cm 1mb price now being "under review" - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14262

Although you were only talking about BB, there's also.....

News article about the upcoming (Digital TV, & some phone services) increases - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/73/ntl-price-increases-coming-soon

Thread about said upcoming price increases - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15408

There are also other threads discussing the various price changes.

Hence - thread closed. Links to originals provided.