PDA

View Full Version : germany's most beautiful word

kronas
01-08-2004, 19:15
the search is on for the most beautiful sounding word in germany.

currently there have been thousands of entrys some of which are:

German, for example, has a word to describe that niggling melody you just cannot get out of your head - 'Ohrwurm', literally 'earworm'.

'Eisenbahnknoten' is a 'knot of rail-lines' or, in other words, a railway junction.

And 'Kulturbeutel' - literally (body) care bag - is the toilet bag used to take toothbrush and shampoo

Lebenslust - zest for life
Erdbeermund - voluptuous lips
Glueck - happiness
Liebe - love
Mitgefuehl - compassion
Mut - courage
Sehnsucht - longing
Vergissmeinnicht - forget-me-not

the competiton is being judged by musicians and authors filmakers as well as other proffesions.

source: BBC news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3943507.stm

go on you know what i am going to ask........ whats your favorite english sounding word...... ?

Earl of Bronze
01-08-2004, 19:41
My personal favourute has to be - ********.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but I have been complimented on my oral skills. :naughty: :drool: :devsmoke:

Maggy
01-08-2004, 19:57
My personal favourute has to be - ********..

Not to blow my own trumpet, but I have been complimented on my oral skills. :naughty: :drool: :devsmoke:

This must be a record.Only the second reply and you win one of these.

Download Failed (1)

Incog. :D

MetaWraith
01-08-2004, 20:04
not spelling skills obviously

kink
01-08-2004, 20:11
Mmmm...... or maybe he just got tongue tied thinking about it.......... ;)

Maggy
01-08-2004, 20:13
Mmmm...... or maybe he just got tongue tied thinking about it.......... ;)

Would you like a medal? :D

Russ
01-08-2004, 20:20
OK...can we please keep this thread margainly above the gutter....

kink
01-08-2004, 20:21
Would you like a medal? :DWell...... if you can't give me a man who doesn't lie, a family that doesn't drive you to the brink of insanity, thousands of pounds or a new body that doesn't require more cosmetic surgery than i can afford.......

Then the medal will have to do :D

Edit: Oh russ....... you're just upset because you started a similar thread a while back....... http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=2125& ;)

Maggy
01-08-2004, 20:53
OK just for kink.

Download Failed (1)

BBKing
01-08-2004, 21:57
I like 'susurrate' and 'chintz'.

Dave Stones
01-08-2004, 22:25
i dont know about favourite, but two words i hate are "moist" and "damp"...

guess a favourite at the moment would be "surrepticiously" (sp)... i dont know why, just the first word that came to my head...

Graham
01-08-2004, 23:11

Clearly not a cunning linguist...!

:D

kronas
01-08-2004, 23:44
Clearly not a cunning linguist...!

:D

wierd, i was going to choose 'linguistic' as my word before i had to dash off after i posted that :erm:

MetaWraith
02-08-2004, 00:17
My favourite English word would be Serendipitous,
I leave it as an exercise for the reader to look it up.

The following is an extract from one of my webpages,it lists some of my favorite words in various languages

Mokita

New Guinea, noun.
The truth that everyone knows but no one admits. I'd give examples which we'd all know are true, but... well, it's better left unsaid. There's plenty of mokita in your office, in social politics, and among your friends.

Ta

Chinese, verb.
The understanding that lets one take things lightly. When you're certain of your skill, you face situations with a relaxed confidence. The opposite is concerned, purposive action. Western culture since Socrates has valued attentive thought. Heidegger however shows this is a fundamental mistake.

Tao

Chinese, noun and verb.
Pronouced "dao". The way that nature develops. This can be the flow of a raindrop on your window pane or the way a human is born, lives, and dies.

Wabi

Japanese, noun.
A flaw that gives elegance and uniqueness to the whole. Western culture sees beauty in mass produced technical symmetry, such as a Porsche Boxster. Japanese however appreciate the wabi of a cracked tea cup that distinguishes it from all other tea cups. This can be as simple as the tiny crack in one's favorite cup. Everyone's face has wabi.

Won

Korean noun.
The unwillingness to let go of the illusions, thus causing the suffering. When one is in a bad relationship, job, or political situation, one refuses to exit it and one suffers. Our racist, militarist, enviromentally destructive political structures continue because we let them do it. One day, the East Germans stopped believing their government and a few days later, it just collapsed.

Zanshin

Japanese, noun.
A relaxed alertness. Many people think that to be relaxed is to escape from one's surroundings; my cat dozes on the window sill and is aware of everything.

Theodoric
02-08-2004, 14:48
Well, as we seem to have glided smoothly from German to English words, may I add mellifluous and melodious to the list.

Salu
02-08-2004, 14:56
I absolutely like indubitably. It's unquestionable.

Mr_love_monkey
02-08-2004, 15:57
Robert Rankin claims that 'Plinth' is the most sexy word that a woman can speak. He recommends you find a woman and get her to say it, you'll see what he means....

Can't see it myself, but....

Graham
02-08-2004, 18:06
Robert Rankin claims that 'Plinth' is the most sexy word that a woman can speak.

As in "some day my plinth will come"?! :D

A favourite German word is "Weltanschuung" or "world view".

English favorites include "caress" and "melodious".

Theodoric
02-08-2004, 18:38
As in "some day my plinth will come"?! :D

A favourite German word is "Weltanschuung" or "world view".

English favorites include "caress" and "melodious".
I'd guess that schadenfreude or joy in the misfortune of others would probably gather quite a few votes.