PDA

View Full Version : Rochdale BB problems?

Sarky
31-07-2004, 20:01
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone here from Rochdale is experiencing/experienced broadband down time this afternoon since about 2pm?

I called the customer services thing but there was a recorded message saying there were problems in the M33 galaxy.. uhm.. post code, which isn't my area but I guess it's pretty close. So I'm just assuming it's related.

Seems to be stable-ish now, just dropped carrier about 10 minutes ago again but came back right away...

Thanks.

John.

paulyoung666
31-07-2004, 20:04
hi and :welcome: to the site , have you tried rebooting your modem ???????? , it may not be the answer but there you go , hope you enjoy your stay here btw :D :D :D :D

Sarky
31-07-2004, 20:11
Thanks for the welcome... and to answer your question, yep repeatedly since it went down hehe...

Seems to be ok now though, hopefully it'll stay that way. :-)

John.

paulyoung666
31-07-2004, 20:29
Thanks for the welcome... and to answer your question, yep repeatedly since it went down hehe...

Seems to be ok now though, hopefully it'll stay that way. :-)

John.

hope so as well :D :D :D

badnbusy
31-07-2004, 20:33
I lost service for about 5 minutes this morning, probably not related though...

Im in Oldham.

Sarky
31-07-2004, 20:43
I work in Oldham, I wish they'd clear out those roadworks on the M627 already!

Maybe these interruptions are to do with the imminent speed upgrades. Hopefully... :-)

John.

peacedude2k4
31-07-2004, 21:01
In Rochdale myself dead centre and no problems here :dozey: been online on MSN all day

Sarky
31-07-2004, 21:31
I spoke to soon, it's all dead again.

Grrrrrrr.

Strange that you're not affected, peacedude. I wonder what in ntl-dom is going on. I hope they fix it soon, or at least be down or up and decide what it's going to do. This intermittent stuff is just frustrating!

At least the TV still works... (btw the broadband is built into the tv gadget, i hated this all in one idea from the beginning, you're just asking for trouble!)

John.

badnbusy
31-07-2004, 21:48
Why not phone ntl on Monday and ask them to swap your broadband over from the set-top-box to a cable modem which sits nicely on your desk? They are much more reliable and you can get this done for free in most cases...

Oldham roads are a mess, dont get me started ;)

What's the particular problems you are having anyway? Is the middle light on your set-top-box flashing at all, or is it solid?

nate
31-07-2004, 21:54
I was VNC'ing to my box from work and it randomly lost connection at about 3:30 this afternoon, has been a long time (to my knowledge) since it has done that.

Was back on 20 minutes later though..

peacedude2k4
31-07-2004, 21:57
Anyone know if this is hitting Scunthorpe as a close friend of mine is having plenty of issues with her stand alone cable modem NTL 600k connection getting the pesky thing to work and has resorted to her neighbours AOL Dial up modem while NTHell sort out there issues.

Sarky
31-07-2004, 22:11
Hi,

I just called them and they're going to send an engineer round with a new box within 24 hours. Yes, I was surprised too! (Didn't think to ask for the separate modem, maybe I'll surprise the engineer with that one when he arrives.)

They said there was no work being done around here so it must be something screwed up with the box...

Badnbusy: earlier it was just flashing a lot, now it's totally off and the interactive stuff doesn't work either. Although the EPG and TV are ok.

Whoever designed the traffic light sequence at the turn off into South Link Business park wants shooting!

John.

nate
31-07-2004, 22:19
Anyone know if this is hitting Scunthorpe as a close friend of mine is having plenty of issues with her stand alone cable modem NTL 600k connection getting the pesky thing to work and has resorted to her neighbours AOL Dial up modem while NTHell sort out there issues.
Has she reported this to NTL?
If she calls tech support (0845 650 0121) she'll get it sorted it pretty quickly, they'll give her a pretty quick answer on what the problem is (will run diagnostics on the modem to determine whether it is ntl side or customer side).

Sarky
31-07-2004, 23:48
It suddenly came back on again! I'm not convinced I have a faulty box.. methinks someone was tinkering, with something, somewhere in darkest Peru, i mean depths of hell, uhm... NTL....

I'll let them bring a new box anyway, I think I need one for the upcoming upgrades... and I get to interrogate someone in person about this out(r)age, someone local should know right? Or maybe not... :-)

John.

peacedude2k4
01-08-2004, 01:45
Has she reported this to NTL?
If she calls tech support (0845 650 0121) she'll get it sorted it pretty quickly, they'll give her a pretty quick answer on what the problem is (will run diagnostics on the modem to determine whether it is ntl side or customer side).
Thanks did do they sorted it, i didn't ask what problem was but i hold down to firewall or something new she installed lol.

badnbusy
01-08-2004, 11:55
Yep. If the middle light is flashing a lot it indicates a network problem somewhere. That light has to be solid as you probably know, else Interactive or BB wont work.

Probably just needs a new attenuator or the levels increasing/decreasing.

:)

Sarky
01-08-2004, 12:19
If this is a hardware problem with the box, I'll eat my hat... It was on all night perfectly (from about 10pm) until about 10am this morning, and then went down for an hour and just came back up. When it's working the stats menu thing shows a very good signal for the broadband, so I'm pretty convinced they're screwing with something somewhere... but what do I know... /me awaits the pros... :-)

John.

Damon
02-08-2004, 17:44
We've had exactly the same problem in Bury. 600k thru STB, middle light flashing at peak times, sod all connection etc etc.

Rang NTL on Saturday morning, engineer booked for between 12 and 4 today (Monday). He turned up at 12.05, checked the signal and saw it was way too low so he boosted it to see if that solves the problem, but left us his mobile number if we have any more issues and he'll come back and have another look without us having to spend another half an hour waiting to get through to the fault line.

I've a good mind to ring him even if it is sorted and see if we can get rid of this naff old Pace box once and for all, cos i don't doubt it'll go faulty eventually anyway based on past experiences at my last address (went through 3 set top boxes downstairs and 2 upstairs)

peacedude2k4
02-08-2004, 18:03
Me sits in Rochdale on 1.5mb with it all working right watching mates on NTL have problems all over. And smiles a :D

Me now runs like hell

Sarky
02-08-2004, 19:03
Well it's been almost 48 hours (of the promised 24) and so far nothing from NTL... I just gave up trying to contact tech support for a second time... Why, oh, why, don't they have a separate line for true faults and one for people who can't set-up their e-mail... and why is the broadband line 0845 and the TV one is free?!? I mean WTF?

The broadband is still going down randomly for hours on end and then coming back all by itself.

The level of service just hit unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

John.

peacedude2k4
02-08-2004, 19:10
Think I will have a beer, get half of Rochdale around and hire out my connection as it sounds like only one working in Rochdale.

Could make a fortune ;)

BBKing
02-08-2004, 19:11
Sarky - pm me your IP address or STB mac address and I'll take a look.

I'm aware of problems on 1Mb STBs in Manchester today, but that should have been solved early afternoon. Nothing to do with speed upgrades.

Marge
02-08-2004, 19:12
and why is the broadband line 0845 and the TV one is free?!?

Ring the 0800 customer service number, click on the option for Broadband faults and that transfers you through to Technical Support

Sarky
02-08-2004, 19:14
Rofl peacedude... maybe you're close enough to set up a wirelss lan. ;-)

John.

Sarky
02-08-2004, 19:17
BBKing: So done! :-)

Debsy42: Thanks for the tip, I will do that next time. :-)

John.

peacedude2k4
02-08-2004, 19:27
Just reporting connection still lovely and downloading Joint OP's 250mb demo at 176kbs :D

Only one connection problem last night rebooted computer

Not a sniffle yet..

notes as soon as he hits save boom.....i know it sods law

BBKing
02-08-2004, 21:23
Sarky - Looks like a lot of modems on your card dropped offline around 10:30am (~500) - came back around 2pm.

So on that basis it ain't your box, it's some species of area fault - the coincidence of timing (you said 10am) and you being on exactly that card (none of the other three have that problem) lead me to suspect something went awry in the HFC (cable network). I'll drop a note to some of the NW guys in the morning and see if they know of anything.

(ntl people - this info comes from a system we're just developing, anyone interested in knowing more drop me a PM).

Sarky
02-08-2004, 21:48
Thanks a bunch, BBKing. That makes a lot more sense to me and fits the symptoms. It has been ok so far this evening, maybe I'm tempting fate by saying that. :-)

John.

Damon
04-08-2004, 13:55
We've had exactly the same problem in Bury. 600k thru STB, middle light flashing at peak times, sod all connection etc etc.

Rang NTL on Saturday morning, engineer booked for between 12 and 4 today (Monday). He turned up at 12.05, checked the signal and saw it was way too low so he boosted it to see if that solves the problem, but left us his mobile number if we have any more issues and he'll come back and have another look without us having to spend another half an hour waiting to get through to the fault line.

I've a good mind to ring him even if it is sorted and see if we can get rid of this naff old Pace box once and for all, cos i don't doubt it'll go faulty eventually anyway based on past experiences at my last address (went through 3 set top boxes downstairs and 2 upstairs)

Shock Horror!!!

It was down again last night, modem light blinking its merry way through the evening....

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt for that though cos of the torrential downpours in the area, but if it happens again tonight I damn sure want rid of that pace box!

Strangely, the engineer apparently told my missus that the Pace box is the most reliable one (not what I've read on here!)

th'engineer
04-08-2004, 14:14
Just reporting connection still lovely and downloading Joint OP's 250mb demo at 176kbs :D

Only one connection problem last night rebooted computer

Not a sniffle yet..

notes as soon as he hits save boom.....i know it sods lawYou are tempting fate saying how good your connection is going :angel:

BTW mine seems ok apart from a few ping probs

zoombini
04-08-2004, 16:35
At the moment I'd assume "water in the cable" :D