PDA

View Full Version : Weight Gain

LooeyUK
29-07-2004, 23:14
Hi. Im 18 and recently i've been get kinda depressed about my size. I skinny. I want to bulk up.

Ive been told that I cant just work-out to bulk up, I need to eat the correct foods to "fatten" me up first and work-out at the same time.

So what foods fatten you up?

pwalthew
29-07-2004, 23:21
How much do you weigh Looey?

Russ
29-07-2004, 23:23
Unless you're a farm animal, you don't need to be 'fattened' up at all :D

What you need is food to 'fuel' your muscles if you intend to work out and these foods are carbohydrates such as potatos, bread, pasta etc. At 18 you can be fairly active without worrying too much about straining yourself however you should always follow a sensible training programme. For more (and better) advice have a look around on www.menshealth.co.uk

LooeyUK
29-07-2004, 23:23
I dont quite know :( actually, i dont know :(

pwalthew
29-07-2004, 23:25
I'm 24 174CM tall and weigh 11 stone I'm not huge but I'm not scrawny just be happy with how you are - would you want the other end of the scale and be overweight? Muscle is made from fat and weighs more than fat your muscles are predominantly water so drink plenty of it - chicken rice potatoes etc are all good foods.

kronas
29-07-2004, 23:27
im in pretty much in the same condition, 18, skinny, but my weight is currently stable at 8.5 stone, about time considering my past problems, im still skinny, all the weight went in to filling the gaps in my stomach and body...

i could do with something to bolster some ailing muscles, could do with a new body in fact :(

sorry about the slight hijack looey :)

bb31
29-07-2004, 23:29
just wait a few years, the pounds pile on the older you get !!:(

LooeyUK
29-07-2004, 23:29
sorry about the slight hijack looey :)

Np :)

Just looking at the Mens Health website. Will also start eating those foods. Dinner tomorrow will be Chicken in a tomato sauce with mash potato and rice. With a couple of slices of bread and butter and a big ol glass of water :)

kronas
29-07-2004, 23:32
i stick with eating salads, odd slice of cake, some chocolate cake as well, depends on whats available, the rest of the time its some form of meat chicken curry usally, maybe a takeaway on a few occasions a week...

lets just say eating and being able to are two very diffarent things, but stability is coming...

ian@huth
29-07-2004, 23:36
I was skinny when I was 18 and 19and 20 and 21 and used to eat all the wrong things to try to put on weight. Even used to look at slimming books to see what were the most fattening foods. Couldn't put weight on no matter what. As I got older on came the weight and now I try to lose some but thats just as difficult.

Don't worry about being skinny at 18, the worry might be helping to keep the weight off. It's far better to be skinny and healthy than overweight any day. A good balanced diet is the main thing and enjoy not having to carry dozens of packets of lard about all the time.

Colin
29-07-2004, 23:37
Looey, Just drink loads of beer. In 30 years time you'll be fine ;)

kronas
29-07-2004, 23:37
Looey, Just drink loads of beer. In 30 years time you'll be fine ;)

lol, and suffer from liver problems :no: :Sprint:

Shaun
29-07-2004, 23:38
Np :)

Just looking at the Mens Health website. Will also start eating those foods. Dinner tomorrow will be Chicken in a tomato sauce with mash potato and rice. With a couple of slices of bread and butter and a big ol glass of water :)

Don't forget your fruit and vegetables, you'll not get a lot of vitamins or minerals from rice and mashed potatoes!

ian@huth
29-07-2004, 23:43
i stick with eating salads, odd slice of cake, some chocolate cake as well, depends on whats available, the rest of the time its some form of meat chicken curry usally, maybe a takeaway on a few occasions a week...

lets just say eating and being able to are two very diffarent things, but stability is coming...

Get to that chippy on Union Road (maybe Union Street, not sure just where it changes name) and get a good helping of fish and chips down you.;)

homealone
29-07-2004, 23:43
I'm 5' 4" and 8½ stone, I can eat what I like, the only time I got anyway near putting on weight, was when I gave up smoking & put on about 1½ stone ;)

Wolf
29-07-2004, 23:44
I'm 26 and weight keeps coming now. Was about 9 stone at 18 now i'm 12 stone. I have put exercise into my morning routine before work and martial arts every tuesday. My strength is building and so in my shape. I was always skinny but bulk won't help you unless you add exercise. Join a martial arts club. If you want a good club I think The Bristol Death Squad are in Bristol and they teach Lau Gar Kick Boxing and is governed by the British Kung Fu Association. Just a thought even if i did ramble on a bit. ;)

Maggy
29-07-2004, 23:46
If you are suffering from self esteem and image problems so much so that you are depressed about it try seeing a councilor.Otherwise just forget about it and be yourself.

However it can't hurt to eat 5 fruit and veg a day and try to stick to a basic healthy diet.Cut out the processed and ready made meals and try not to eat too much of any one food group and you won't go far wrong.

It's best to be healthy at the weight that your body feels natural at.

If anyone else has a problem with the way you look stuff 'em. :tu:

Incog. :)

ian@huth
I'm 5' 4" and 8½ stone, I can eat what I like, the only time I got anyway near putting on weight, was when I gave up smoking & put on about 1½ stone ;)

Every time I stopped smoking for a while I put on over a stone and it never came back off when I started again. I wouldn't start smoking to help put on weight though if I was you.

kronas
Get to that chippy on Union Road (maybe Union Street, not sure just where it changes name) and get a good helping of fish and chips down you.;)

LOL, the one on union road i had to go to once, not bad tasting chips, you cant beat market fisheries next door to superdrug ;) :drool:

having said that havent been there in months......

If you are suffering from self esteem and image problems so much so that you are depressed about it try seeing a councilor.Otherwise just forget about it and be yourself.

thanks for reminding me about telling mine about that, i had been rapped up so much in my feelings i didnt tell her about those problems.....

Colin
29-07-2004, 23:51
Every time I stopped smoking for a while I put on over a stone and it never came back off when I started again. I wouldn't start smoking to help put on weight though if I was you.
I have to say, the weight did not pile on for me when i gave up, guess i was just lucky.

Iwas the same when i was 18, skinny as a rake, you do change. Its all part of growing up. Your body is still changing, so just let it

greencreeper
30-07-2004, 01:45
Not to be patronising but you're too young to be worrying about your weight, especially when you're not over weight. You are, though, at the right age for developing an eating disorder. Some men/women like the thinner male. Some men/women like the thicker male too :erm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/yourweight/bmi.shtml

ZrByte
30-07-2004, 02:33
All I can say is JAMMY BAS... Erm... GITS. Im 20 and overwieght, I did really well last year and lost a shed load of wieght, I had everybody telling me how well I looked, then, crisis, I caught the flu. Was stuck in bed for several days and when I could finally stomach food again I started eating some of my favorite foods to build my strength back up, most of wich I hadnt been able to eat while I was on my diet.
For the last year I have been struggling to get myself back into the routine of exorcise and eating right, ive started the difficult task of getting back into exorcise and im doing ok (with just an occasional lapse). The food side is prooving to be more of a problem, due to working with food when im hungry it really doesnt help, also due to money problems I can't really afford to buy more healthy food so I can only eat what my parents allready have in. Also will power is prooving to be a problem this time, last time when I lost all that wieght it was for a girl, she was heavier than me just over a year before I met back up with her and in less than a year she had lost it all and looked better than she did before I first met her (In high school), we went out together for a little while so I was determined to loose wieght so I could look as good to her as she did to me, then she went back to uni and we kinda drifted apart (It was just after this that I got the flu), I still see her occasionally and we go the cinema etc, though when we do we always have friends with us now, so its never just the two of us. :(

Oh well, tis better to have loved and lost! or so they say :disturbd:

Anyway, back to the topic after that semi thread hijack :D

Oh and yay for me, I finally reached 1,000 posts :D

greencreeper
30-07-2004, 16:41
All I can say is JAMMY BAS... Erm... GITS. Im 20 and overwieght, I did really well last year and lost a shed load of wieght, I had everybody telling me how well I looked, then, crisis, I caught the flu. Was stuck in bed for several days and when I could finally stomach food again I started eating some of my favorite foods to build my strength back up, most of wich I hadnt been able to eat while I was on my diet.
<snip>

I look at all the people battling with their weight and it's very sad that they're going to spend their whole life unhappy with who they are instead of accepting their weight and getting on with life. Yeah of course it's better to be an "ideal weight" according to the BMI, but if you're going to spend your whole life miserable about it, then I don't see the point. Life's too short.

From what you say, food doesn't seem to be your problem - you use it as a solution.

kronas
30-07-2004, 17:02
i suppose there could be a phscological motive behind being slightly obsessive or even concerned attitude about your own weight, you do make comparisons sometimes or can see your weight being 'above normal' or obese.

but i think its about being self conscious about your looks, being presentable instead of looking 'out of shape' 'obese' or in my case too thin.

so you have to try and change things, and i think for some people they need guidance, and even information instead of being told to eat fruit and veg.

Nugget
30-07-2004, 17:03
Try and keep an eye on your Body Mass Index (can't remember the calculation, but I'm sure someone will find alink).

I'm 29, 6 foot 5, and weigh just over 14 stone which, apparently is exactly where I need to be - just make sure that you don't overdo it and you'll be fine :tu:

paulyoung666
30-07-2004, 17:06
Try and keep an eye on your Body Mass Index (can't remember the calculation, but I'm sure someone will find alink).

I'm 29, 6 foot 5, and weigh just over 14 stone which, apparently is exactly where I need to be - just make sure that you don't overdo it and you'll be fine :tu:

here you go (http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/yourweight/bmi.shtml) :D

kronas
30-07-2004, 17:20
here you go (http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/yourweight/bmi.shtml) :D

Your weight is in the range that is classified as underweight. It could be that you eat a varied and well-balanced diet but are naturally very slim. If so, there is no need to change what you eat, except perhaps to eat more food and make sure you are getting all the energy and nutrients you need to stay healthy.

oh well :shrug:

paulyoung666
30-07-2004, 18:46
Your weight is in the range that is classified as underweight. It could be that you eat a varied and well-balanced diet but are naturally very slim. If so, there is no need to change what you eat, except perhaps to eat more food and make sure you are getting all the energy and nutrients you need to stay healthy.

oh well :shrug:

so .................. dont worry about it ;)

kronas
30-07-2004, 18:51
so .................. dont worry about it ;)

hard not to when you body has so many problems in other areas ;) :p:

Dave Stones
30-07-2004, 18:56
im 6 foot 2 and 11 stone 10. my BMI is 21.09, which is great :D

interestingly, since year 8 at seconday school i have been around the 11 and a half stone mark. i do sod all exercise, and eat whatever i feel like (don't really know the meaning of varied diet)... yet i am fit and healthy :D

paulyoung666
30-07-2004, 19:17
im 6 foot 2 and 11 stone 10. my BMI is 21.09, which is great :D

interestingly, since year 8 at seconday school i have been around the 11 and a half stone mark. i do sod all exercise, and eat whatever i feel like (don't really know the meaning of varied diet)... yet i am fit and healthy :D

i am 5'8" and weigh 14 stone , do i care , nope ;)

kronas
30-07-2004, 19:19
i am 5'8" and weigh 14 stone , do i care , nope ;)

*cough obese *cough oops ;)

paulyoung666
30-07-2004, 19:24
*cough obese *cough oops ;)

just call me a fat b@stard and see if i care , honestly i wont one little bit , lifes too short my mate ;)
or maybe a quick armwrestle would be of interest :erm:

kronas
30-07-2004, 19:27
or maybe a quick armwrestle would be of interest :erm:

well your fat arms against my stick thin puny ones :erm: ;) not thanks id rather have two working arms :disturbd:

paulyoung666
30-07-2004, 19:28
well your fat arms against my stick thin puny ones :erm: ;) not thanks id rather have two working arms :disturbd:

no worries my mate , you are what you are was what i was trying to point out , just be yourself not what you think ppl want you to be ;)

kronas
30-07-2004, 19:30
no worries my mate , you are what you are was what i was trying to point out , just be yourself not what you think ppl want you to be ;)

i know i know, i have learned that from a young age, its when YOU think things, thats where the problem lies my good freind ;)

paulyoung666
30-07-2004, 19:45
i know i know, i have learned that from a young age, its when YOU think things, thats where the problem lies my good freind ;)

i am who i am and sod the lot of 'em

repeat endlessly ;)

kronas
30-07-2004, 19:46

repeat endlessly ;)

i see your point but i want to make an ammendment....

i am who i am but i will swing my wireless keyboard at them

:p:

smegs
30-07-2004, 19:46

repeat endlessly ;)
thats what my family say to me when i go on about my weight

kronas
30-07-2004, 19:49
thats what my family say to me when i go on about my weight

yep and so you should, im just totally opposite, im looking for stability, but i have other issues, but **** it really in your case, its your life live it how you want simply put.

sometimes you have to think sod this and let YOURSELF take control not let others dictate your look when it comes to your weight especially.

*knows he should listen to his own advice more often

paulyoung666
30-07-2004, 19:50
i see your point but i want to make an ammendment....

:p:

amend away my friend amend away :D

bbwannabe
30-07-2004, 23:24
if u want to bulk up, u need to eat food with more protein. This is what needed for growth and stuff, but you also need to do some resistance work (weights) in order to build up muscle.

Its all good and well saying accept yourself and life your life cos lifes too short, but if your overweight like i am then its gonna be an even shorter life. Im about 4-5 stones over my ideal weight and im gonna be working hard over the next months to try and lose it.

Muscle is not made of fat btw, and drinking buckets of water doesnt help bulk you up.

ZrByte
31-07-2004, 01:24
if u want to bulk up, u need to eat food with more protein. This is what needed for growth and stuff, but you also need to do some resistance work (weights) in order to build up muscle.

Its all good and well saying accept yourself and life your life cos lifes too short, but if your overweight like i am then its gonna be an even shorter life. Im about 4-5 stones over my ideal weight and im gonna be working hard over the next months to try and lose it.

Muscle is not made of fat btw, and drinking buckets of water doesnt help bulk you up.

Here here, its mostly a health thing rather than an appearance thing for myself too. Though if you have a target like the girl I mentioned in my previous post it does help you focus :)

Drinking lots of water can assist in bulking you up by the way, its far from a key ingredient but water is used to build muscle tissue.

bbwannabe
31-07-2004, 11:16
For me its just as much a health thing as it is an appearance thing. Im well annoyed by the fact i need to get some new clothes everytime i put on weight, and its made worse cos i dont like to shop.

If your happy with yourself as you are (overweight or underweight or just right) then feel free to continue as you are, but telling ppl to accept themselves if they arent that happy is not the best way.

Exercise and good eating can help destress you can and generally make you feel much better.

Maggy
31-07-2004, 14:55
Just be careful not to set your self up for an eating/appearance disorder.

Anyway LooeyB doesn't have an overwieght problem.

I personally think it is time to all of us to say to the clothing and fashion industries to poke it if they keep on insisting that only certain body shapes will be catered for.Barstewards! They say they respond to demand and yet more people are at the larger sizes than at the smaller sizes. :mad:

kronas
31-07-2004, 14:59
I personally think it is time to all of us to say to the clothing and fashion industries to poke it if they keep on insisting that only certain body shapes will be catered for.Barstewards! They say they respond to demand and yet more people are at the larger sizes than at the smaller sizes. :mad:

i dont think we are talking about the fashion industries espoinage coggy ;)

but its rather what YOU think of yourself, if your realistic you can tell if your body is under or overweight, you want to do something about it before it becomes a problem in the future, i think thats wise not because of the potential problems later on but because of the willingness to change your lifestyle yourself to 'balance' things out.

Maggy
31-07-2004, 15:08
i dont think we are talking about the fashion industries espoinage coggy ;)

but its rather what YOU think of yourself, if your realistic you can tell if your body is under or overweight, you want to do something about it before it becomes a problem in the future, i think thats wise not because of the potential problems later on but because of the willingness to change your lifestyle yourself to 'balance' things out.

BUT if you are perfectly healthy being underweight for your height then leave well enough alone.If you are however unhealthy then seek advice from an expert.