PDA

View Full Version : A question about usage limit I wanted to confirm

CableForumUser
28-07-2004, 18:16
From what I've heard and read from the NTL website the limit is 1gb per day.

So let's say I download 1gb a day(not really just for argument) and at the end of the month I've downloaded 30gb. Does NTL still charge me the same amount at the end of the month, as in €25 for the month of broadband usage???? Or does it charge extra?? Is downloading 1gb in a day the same cost as downloading 2mb in a day??

It's probably a simple question but I wanted to confirm it because I'm scared of being charged extra and I'd like to D/L a lot.

DieDieMyDarling
28-07-2004, 18:22
At the moment it's only a guide. So if you go over the 1gb limit a day, they will, at worst, send you a letter to inform you that you have exceeded the limit. As far as i know noone has had any action (apart from a letter) taken against them, and noone has had to pay extra, no matter how much they download in a day/week/month.

CableForumUser
28-07-2004, 18:25
So in other words if I download an entire 30 GBs in the whole month they'll still charge me €25 for the month??

CableForumUser
28-07-2004, 18:26
Oh yeah and also, downloads from FTP sites are frequently at under 10kbps. It's still more than a dialup but seems very slow for a broadband conenction.

Russ
28-07-2004, 18:28

So let's say I download 1gb a day(not really just for argument) and at the end of the month I've downloaded 30gb. Does NTL still charge me the same amount at the end of the month, as in â‚ ¬25 for the month of broadband usage???? Or does it charge extra?? Is downloading 1gb in a day the same cost as downloading 2mb in a day??

It's probably a simple question but I wanted to confirm it because I'm scared of being charged extra and I'd like to D/L a lot.

Your connection would be pulled LONG before you got to 30Gb. You'd firstly get a letter from their AUP advising you of the problem, asking you to lower your usage. If this was ignored you'd get a warning letter. After this they would more than likely take action but to date...as far as I know, no-one has had the plug pulled because of this.

Remember, the Cap is a guide, not a rule.

Mick
28-07-2004, 18:28

So let's say I download 1gb a day(not really just for argument) and at the end of the month I've downloaded 30gb. Does NTL still charge me the same amount at the end of the month, as in â‚ ¬25 for the month of broadband usage???? Or does it charge extra?? Is downloading 1gb in a day the same cost as downloading 2mb in a day??

Hi and welcome to the site. :welcome:

NTL do not charge extra for going over the limit and if you download 30GB in a month your fine and you have nothing to worry about.

The only action ntl *may* take is if you persistantly go over the daily 1GB limit, they *may* notify you and tell you that your using the service beyond their limits and they will probably advise you to cut down your downloading activities. Although having said that, ntl has not been seen to be very strict on this limit to be perfectly honest.

scrotnig
28-07-2004, 18:49
Your connection would be pulled LONG before you got to 30Gb. You'd firstly get a letter from their AUP advising you of the problem, asking you to lower your usage. If this was ignored you'd get a warning letter. After this they would more than likely take action but to date...as far as I know, no-one has had the plug pulled because of this.

Remember, the Cap is a guide, not a rule.
Why would it?

If he downloads precisely a gig per day he hasn't actually exceeded the guidelines, and probably wouldn't even get flagged up!

Of course, if he was with certain other, less flexible broadband providers, getting very annoyed is something he might 'wannadoo'!

Russ
28-07-2004, 20:45
Why would it?

Because that's exactly what a recently-disposed member of ntl's AUP told me would happen, again, as a guide.

Ignition
28-07-2004, 22:15
Because that's exactly what a recently-disposed member of ntl's AUP told me would happen, again, as a guide.

Of course, someone who has just left the company has every incentive to speak the truth don't they?

Russ the letters that were sent out previously regarding the soft cap didn't even come from AUP and weren't actually anything to do with them, so I can't see why the somewhat smaller AUP team would now be given the job of policing usage on top of everything else they do.

You might be right, but I find it highly unlikely to say the least. There's a load of users who download way over 30GB in a month, some who do it in less than a week but are being left alone as they aren't impairing performance in their areas.

Might wanna check your facts a bit sir....

Actually while we are at it as far as I know no-one has actually been threatened with disconnection or whatever for overuse, just politely asked to calm it down?

Russ
28-07-2004, 22:18
He told me before he was removed.....long before, actually.

Ignition
28-07-2004, 22:19
He told me before he was removed.....long before, actually.

Again AUP didn't send that batch of letters out, in fact it was nothing to do with AUP was done by a seperate department. AUP as far as I know rarely get involved in cases of bandwidth overuse.

[EDIT] In my experience when they've gotten involved initial contact was by phone if possible...

Russ
28-07-2004, 23:24
Hmmm, not sure what to think......

iron25
28-07-2004, 23:44
I would like to hear from someone who has actually been contacted by NTL about their usage to see exactly what they were doing to get NTL involved. I am a very heavy user and I've heard nothing. I reckon they are only concerned about users who upload constantly rather than download as I have read that heavy uploaders affect the network more, I don't know if this is true, I'm sure someone will confirm it.