PDA

View Full Version : Can we have some content filtering proxies?

Prof-x
27-07-2004, 20:49
Just as the title says, i think it would be a great addition to NTL's internet package. I think a lot of parents would definatly welcome a group of 4 or 5 content filtering proxies to ensure child safe browsing.

It came to mind after i installed something called DansGuardian on Smoothwall and think something on a much larger scale provided by NTL would be really ideal. It would be nice to give customers/parents the option of configuring the kids browsers to use these proxies.

Anyways, good or bad idea? The DansGuardian mod i installed has been a total success.

Ignition
27-07-2004, 21:37
Would be very difficult right now but never say never in the future, similar technology to that which allowed the Guildford trials would certainly be able to select bandwidth and indeed level of restriction in terms of age limits and content on pages.

The question is though that until the current web cache platform is absolutely stable and is as good throughout the country as it is in the real quality areas I think there are more important things to do than start finding more jobs for the hardware to do.

Let's concentrate on getting the existing platforms absolutely right first eh? Caching running smoothly will significantly enhance the customer experience. Going by my own experience on cable caches where I was were beautiful, browsing an instant experience virtually all the time but some aren't so lucky.

Am sure that plans are afoot to get the caching platform ready along with the network for future proofing while the cash is flowing nicely. I hope this is something that can be incorporated in the future.

Course I could be completely wrong and it could be in trial already :p:

Stop It
27-07-2004, 21:49
I Think it would be a lot simpler for the end user to have software bundled (like AOL) to block content, surely a much simpler and cheaper solution.

Prof-x
28-07-2004, 11:00
Great answer, anothernoob. I agree, good caching makes all the different even the local squid and dnsproxy we setup locally made all the difference for our group of users.

I know what you mean about NTL caches birmingham has its fair share of up's and downs, it isnt running too badly atm. I remember when someone ;) from irc let me try out some un-used netapps and the browsing was lightning.

As far as the netnanny type apps that AOL give, they are ok but not perfect. They are basically a big block listing program with wildcards to deny access to certain sites. Things like dans guardian are intelligent content filtering proxies based on complex configs that have the potential to filter and block much much more in comparison to the block list files of netnanny.

I thought about the extra load it places on the caches and it probably isnt wise to place this on current proxies, especially the inktomi's. Im sure the degrade in proxy browsing is mainly hardware orientate so dual layer proxies wouldnt work either. Maybe a group of 4 or 5 dedicated content filtering NetApps seperate from regional proxies would do the trick. I dont think you'll get total smooth browsing with content filtering proxies because of checks on each object but thats the sacrafice you make to keep your kids safe. The only thing software wise that NTL could do is to develop a silent service to run on Windows (on our kids pc's) that forces the use of content filtering proxies.

Just a thought! :)

seaneeboy
28-07-2004, 11:43
Some extra information:

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/resources/internetsafety/index.jsp

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/whatwedo/campaigns/justoneclick/index.jsp

Matth
28-07-2004, 16:16
If nothing else, perhaps they could negotiate a trial/discount bundle, and include a try/buy of Netnanny/Cyberpatrol or similar on the CD