PDA

View Full Version : Email Authentication Problem

goblin
24-07-2004, 01:47
Hi,

Opera Reports:
Wrong password [Server response:-ERR invalid user name or password.]

On one of my email accounts. Despite numerous attempts to input the password, it still gives this error. This is a recent occurence since the email downtime earlier this week. Now I am going to contact support tomorrow sometime. So if a MOD should happen by, don't worry about this particular aspect (seriously!).

Instead I would like you to address the issue of password retrieval on the whole. Especially the bit whereby a user cannot access an email account due to such an error as above. Whereby they wish to verrify that the password they entered is infact what was required.

Like myself most users would probably assume that they need to go here: https://packageswitch.autoregister.net/scripts/password/forgot.asp and input their email address to which they would be sent the password. What that user may not expect (as I didn't) is that instead of sending the account password to either my primary account or any of the others I have registered @ntlworld.com. It seems to send it to the very account for which I require the password!?!? The address of which I reportedly lost the password as supplied in the form.

I know there is some perfectly valid reason for this. Though I cannot figure it out. As to me (right now) I think it's a ridiculous situation to be in. If someone with enough influence within NTL is reading this or if you know of such a person, can you ask them. To write a script or something so that a user maybe able to direct the password email to another of their accounts? Preferably with some kind of "checking" to make sure that the account they designate is actually one of their accounts. If this is not possible, is there any particular reason why not?

Thanks!

Ignition
24-07-2004, 06:01
Preferably with some kind of "checking" to make sure that the account they designate is actually one of their accounts.

I think the crystal balls are on the blink right now and the staff are a bit too busy to seance to make sure that this random email address someone wants their password emailed to is in fact their email address not someone who wants to relieve them of their email / dialup / broadband + access.