PDA

View Full Version : Read Before You Post - Support Requests

Ignition
24-07-2004, 00:37
OK Think we need a slightly better way for people to ask for help than just a 'my internet is broken'.

Could those who require help please answer the following questions:

1)What, specifically, is your issue?
a) Is there a specific time that this issue is most prevalent?
b) How long has this issue been going on? (days, weeks, months etc)

2) Do you have cable TV? If so, is there any reception degradation?

3) Have you contacted customer support about this problem? If so, what did they say?

4) What troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve this problem? (aka: if you haven't tried to help yourself, why should *we* help you?)

5 Who you are and what you have
a) Where in the country are you?
b) What is your operating system?
c) What is your home network setup? Provide details.
d) If you have more than one computer, is the problem occuring on all other machines?
e) Are you running a firewall of any sort? Have you ever installed one? Did you try to turn it off during troubleshooting?
f) Please supply a traceroute from you to www.bbc.co.uk in text format

6) Further Info: If you're posting about:
a) Connectivity issues: Please post a
line test (http://www.broadbandreports.com/linequality)
b) Speed issues: Please post at least one speed test which tests speed in both directions.
c) For latency issues please post traceroutes and pings to some major sites in the UK. www.bbc.co.uk, www.nildram.net, etc

I will no longer accept unsolicited requests for help - this is a user forum not a short cut to ntl staff, nor will I answer requests for help unless at least some attempt has been made to supply the info above.

I like to help, but have less and less time to help those who don't try to help themselves but rather dive onto this forum first. Help us to help you!

Thanks.

Mods - please sticky this in both broadband and cache support sections? Thanks

[EDIT] Credit for this support matrix goes to the Cogeco Forum on broadbandreports.com - http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/cogeco