PDA

View Full Version : Tooth hygeine - do you floss?

Jon M
23-07-2004, 10:45
Just got to work from the dentist... after having a filling replaced. :disturbd: :D

I've been told several times to floss, but have never added it to my daily routine, mainly because it doubles the time I spend in the bathroom.
My wife however, has great teeth, and today was the first time she has been asked to floss herself.

I just wondered who here actually does it... and how regularly.

Dave Stones
23-07-2004, 10:52
i don't floss, and the dentist tells me off for it. a couple of weeks ago i had two fillings, and according to the x rays i have 5 more holes round and about. oh well.

Chris
23-07-2004, 10:53
Constantly told to do it, but never do. It's a complete faff. And yes, I do have fillings :( although not until I was nearly 30.

Jon M
23-07-2004, 10:54
While on the subject of dentists.. anyone got any good stories about their own experiences?

For the record, I had no pain at all this morning... the needle is the only bit that most people don't like. I had two injections after the anaesthetic didn't work very well, but other than that it was stress and pain free.

Nemesis
23-07-2004, 10:57
Teeth .... you lot still have teeth .....:Yikes:

I thought everyone's fell out at 22 :D

Jon M
23-07-2004, 11:01
Teeth .... you lot still have teeth .....:Yikes:

I thought everyone's fell out at 22 :D
My late grandad had all his teeth pulled before he was 30.. from what I remember he only had a couple of teeth that actually needed attention.. but in those days they tended to just whip em all out and give you false teeth. (I don't think they had much in the way of pain relief either .. owwee!!)

Makes you appreciate the advances made in the medical profession even in the last 70-80 years.

Mr_love_monkey
23-07-2004, 11:04
I use interdental brushes - which are like little bottle cleaners (they actually look quite painful) - which you slot between the gaps in your teeth. your gums tend to bleed a fair bit the first few times, until you get used to it.

I find them easier than floss since it has a nice handle

pwalthew
23-07-2004, 11:14
I use interdental brushes - which are like little bottle cleaners (they actually look quite painful) - which you slot between the gaps in your teeth. your gums tend to bleed a fair bit the first few times, until you get used to it.

I find them easier than floss since it has a nice handle
I'm supposed to floss as I had a tooth implant at a cost of 2.5K in 2001. I'm terrified of needles and had to have NINE seperate injections so that the dentist could drill into my jawbone and place the titanium peg.

I should have asked for adamantium instead Wolverine style :D

Chris
23-07-2004, 11:15
I'm supposed to floss as I had a tooth implant at a cost of 2.5K in 2001. I'm terrified of needles and had to have NINE seperate injections so that the dentist could drill into my jawbone and place the titanium peg.

I should have asked for adamantium instead Wolverine style :D

2.5k As in £2,500? :Yikes: What the flip was that implant, a two way radio?

Mr_love_monkey
23-07-2004, 11:20
He's probably got a bare-bones super PC in there, which is what he's using now :)

pwalthew
23-07-2004, 11:23
Yep you read that correct Chris! £1000 was paid by Denplan and my Dad stumped up the rest - I broke a tooth when I was 17 and got it capped, got an absess on the root and had to have the nerve scraped out (all over near year 1999 so couldn't even get drunk) the nerve was replaced with a root filling and then cracked the root filling on a twix!

I had three options, wear a denture for the rest of my life - I was 20 at the time and didn't fancy having a glass of water by the bed with my tooth in :D. Or I could have had a bridge which would have involved grinding down the two healthy teeth either side and that was the worst idea in my opinion as sacrificing two teeth for one didn't sound good. So the implant was the best option. That tooth is the strongest one in my mouth now!

pwalthew
23-07-2004, 11:24
He's probably got a bare-bones super PC in there, which is what he's using now :)
My mouth runs Windows XP :D

Nemesis
23-07-2004, 11:26
By the look of his avatar, he had more than dentistry done ;)

Chris
23-07-2004, 11:31
My mouth runs Windows XP :D

You've been had. For £2,500 it should be running some high-end military system or other ... ah, now I get it, Robo-Tooth is an experimental all in one communications, GPS and target loaction device. Implanted in only a dozen guinea pigs, entirely without their knowledge or consent, the top-secret programme was abandoned when it became clear that the radiation emitted by the tooth caused insanity in the wearers and a tendency to mutate into killer clowns. You should audition for Spiderman 3.

Mick
23-07-2004, 11:32
Teeth is a sore subject with me at the moment, literally, esp if you saw my thread from the other day, Dentist Crisis? (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15128).

People I have been speaking to, particularily the women say they would rather go through childbirth again than suffer from Toothache.

Anyway when I visited my dentist a week back she asked if I flossed and I said no, brush and rinse my mouth out with listerine. She said I should floss., I thought you can never keep these dentists satisfied, as I bet she gets a handful of people who visit her who do not even own a toothbrush let alone use one....

Jon M
23-07-2004, 11:38
You've been had. For £2,500 it should be running some high-end military system or other ... ah, now I get it, Robo-Tooth is an experimental all in one communications, GPS and target loaction device. Implanted in only a dozen guinea pigs, entirely without their knowledge or consent, the top-secret programme was abandoned when it became clear that the radiation emitted by the tooth caused insanity in the wearers and a tendency to mutate into killer clowns. You should audition for Spiderman 3.
Can't believe no-one has asked if it's got "bluetooth".. wireless mp3 playback through your jaw.. technophile heaven ;) :D

Chimaera
23-07-2004, 12:11
I used to regularly then the dentist said I was doing more harm than good! :rolleyes:
So now I just floss occasionally - my new dentist says I have very good teeth and gums.
I have way too many fillings though - not my fault either! When I was a nipper my parents used to take me to the 'clinic' dentist - not a private one - and they got paid by the number of fillings they did! Suffice it to say they got their money's worth from me and my 2 sisters! :(
And I'm just waiting for my wisdom tooth to play up again - apparently it will have to come out eventually! :Yikes:

Paul
23-07-2004, 12:18
Floss ?

homealone
23-07-2004, 12:35
I use a combined disposable toothpick/floss thingy. One end has the flexible pointy 'pick', the other end has a 2 cm strand of cotton stretched across a semicircular frame. Very easy to use and i have found my dentist doesn't have to 'descale' my teeth so much now.

I've got every sympathy with anyone who has problems with their teeth. I've had abcesses, especially one a couple of years ago where my face swelled up so much I looked like the 'Elephant Man', the pain was excruciating.

Jerrek
23-07-2004, 18:25
I floss yes, and I brush with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. I do chew a lot of Xylitol gum though. It is made from birchtree bark extract, is very sweet, 40% less calories than sugar, and actually helps your teeth.

I've never had a cavity.

Dave Stones
23-07-2004, 18:35
i have found my dentist doesn't have to 'descale' my teeth so much now.
the scale and polish is just a way for them to make an extra £8... i refuse it when i go cos i am a git like that :)

homealone
23-07-2004, 19:10
the scale and polish is just a way for them to make an extra £8... i refuse it when i go cos i am a git like that :)

I can't remember if mine charges for it - he does it himself, rather than having a hygienist. I'm due a check up soon & he usually does it then, although last time he said I didn't need it.

To be honest, after lashing out hundreds of pounds over the last 15 years for crowns, root fillings & dental surgery, he has finally got my remaining teeth fairly stable, so I don't begrudge a few extra quid to try & keep them that way. :)

bopdude
23-07-2004, 21:08
While on the subject of dentists.. anyone got any good stories about their own experiences?

Not mine but my Dad's, he has a total fear of the dentist and after years of nagging and constant toothache finally made and turned up for the appointment, only to be told that the guy had fallen down stairs and killed himself the night before :Yikes: , not sure if he's ever made another appointment :shrug:

Graham
23-07-2004, 21:35
Yes, I floss, practically every day.

I used not to, but started getting seriously bad "toothache" that was actually caused by decay up under the gum.

I had to use chlorohexedrine mouthwash for a couple of weeks (say bye bye to your tastebuds whilst you're doing so!) and floss morning and night to get the infection under control, now I use Listerine Tooth and Gum after each brushing and floss with Colgate "Dental Tape" which is impregnated with chlorohex each night.

Since then I've not had the toothache problems, nor suffered from bleeding gums, so I strongly suggest people think about it!