PDA

View Full Version : maplins

paulyoung666
23-07-2004, 09:28
i bought a graphics card from maplins about a month ago , it appears as though it is going gaga on me , so i checked the receipt and it says refunds/exchanges within 14 days with receipt and packaging , now it is more than 14 days so what happens :confused:

MetaWraith
23-07-2004, 09:31
Don't you still have a legal right to a manufacturers 1 year warranty ?

Nemesis
23-07-2004, 09:34
Yes you do

dr wadd
23-07-2004, 09:35
The statement on the receipt doesn`t mean jack, you have rights under the Sales of Goods act that mean you can demand a replacement or refund within a period defined as a reasonable lifespan for the product.

If you check this thread

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13463&highlight=sale+goods

you can see the results of my battle with Game to get a faulty XBox replaced under the Sales of Goods act, and the fact that if you make sure you do a little research and stand your ground you can force shops to recognise your legal rights.

Gareth
23-07-2004, 09:38
Yeah, just read-up first of all, then walk into the shop and if they start messing you about, just ask to speak to the manager and then start spouting the Sale of Goods Act at him. You'll soon get it replaced, cause although the teenager at the till might not be aware of it, you can be sure their manager knows they're legally obliged to replace faulty goods :)

paulyoung666
23-07-2004, 09:41
just rang them and they said it has to be sent away to their service centre and checked , if they cant find a fault then it is my problem :erm: , dont seem right somehow :disturbd:

MetaWraith
23-07-2004, 09:50
just rang them and they said it has to be sent away to their service centre and checked , if they cant find a fault then it is my problem :erm: , dont seem right somehow :disturbd:
That's just stage 1 in the "fob off the customer bull****"
Stand your ground mate.

paulyoung666
23-07-2004, 09:57
well according to trading standards , i have to give them the chance to get it tested :erm: very smelly is this i reckon :mad:

Nemesis
23-07-2004, 09:57
You can insist on a replacement there and then, without testing etc.

paulyoung666
23-07-2004, 10:06
but if they stick to their guns then what can i do about it :(

dr wadd
23-07-2004, 10:31
but if they stick to their guns then what can i do about it :(

That's when you get Trading Standards on to the case. If you don`t get any joy with the store it would also be worth getting on the phone to the head office directly. You just need to stick to your guns and don`t let them give you any BS. The DTI website has loads of good information on this, so you should do what I did and queue up a number of their FAQs so if they do try to give you BS you'll have the answers at your immediate disposal.

paulyoung666
23-07-2004, 10:33
That's when you get Trading Standards on to the case. If you don`t get any joy with the store it would also be worth getting on the phone to the head office directly. You just need to stick to your guns and don`t let them give you any BS. The DTI website has loads of good information on this, so you should do what I did and queue up a number of their FAQs so if they do try to give you BS you'll have the answers at your immediate disposal.

cheers :tu:

cookie_365
23-07-2004, 17:49
The '14 day refund' policy is probably an 'over & above your statutory rights' one - i.e. where they'll refund even if they don't have to by law, such as if you just decide you don't want it even if there's nothing wrong with it.

Remember the Tesco's ad where Patricia Routledge got a refund on her fish as it didn't look happy enough? That wasn't under the Sale Of Goods Act ! ;)

Of course, you still get all the rights under the relevant legislation & manufacturers warranty if there is one.

timewarrior2001
23-07-2004, 17:57
I thought that once a product was at a certain age it had to be replaced by manufacturer.
Mind your contract is with maplin not the maker of the card, and thats what TS will tell you.
If Maplin want to send it away and test it let em, if they find no fault your card is OK, if they do you will get a working card.
Other option is to contact manufacturer of card and see what thye say. Their Tech support may help decide if its fooked

darkangel
23-07-2004, 18:03
You can insist on a replacement there and then, without testing etc.what makes u think that?

paulyoung666
23-07-2004, 18:05
I thought that once a product was at a certain age it had to be replaced by manufacturer.
Mind your contract is with maplin not the maker of the card, and thats what TS will tell you.
If Maplin want to send it away and test it let em, if they find no fault your card is OK, if they do you will get a working card.
Other option is to contact manufacturer of card and see what thye say. Their Tech support may help decide if its fooked

cheers my mate :tu:

Graham
23-07-2004, 21:24
See my message at the bottom of this thread:

http://cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15073

Although it's mainly about stuff bought over the net, the information about the Sale of Goods Act 1984 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Act 2002 is still applicable.

Frankly it sounds as if they're trying to baffle you with BS, but they *are* liable for the product not being faulty at time of sale and "fit for purpose". You are entitled to a reasonable expectation that it would not break down within two weeks and you can still reject the item as "not of satisfactory quality".

Nil illegitimi carborundum!

paulyoung666
23-07-2004, 21:38
well ................ after all my ranting and raving it appears to be a problem with xpsp2 , and yes before everyone says -------- beta , i hold my hands up and .................... :(
thanks for the thoughts and suggestions guys and gals , much appreciated as usual --------- paul :)

andygrif
24-07-2004, 00:13
You can insist on a replacement there and then, without testing etc.

You can try but they have no legal obligation to provide one, even if it is found to be faulty (although if this is the case it's the most likely outcome).

Saying that, there is now the onus on the retailer to prove that any fault was created by the customer within the first six months of ownership.

If you're able, take the whole unit to Maplin and show them what the problem is - you're more likely to get an immidiate result that way - and on the whole Maplins are pretty helpful.

It might be something as simple as a driver needing to be updated or similar.

greencreeper
24-07-2004, 03:18
Maplins seem to be going downhill. I remember years ago you used to be able walk in, wave an electrical component at them, and they'd know straight away whether they sold it and would get you as many as you needed. I was in there last week with a mate who wanted a new bulb for the interior light on his car - we called in on the off-chance because we were near by. Two of the assistants didn't seem to be able to speak English. A third resorted to looking in the catalogue, which customers can do themselves - that's why the staff are there to offer help beyond what's in the catalogue :rolleyes: Finally he goes and finds the manager - who firmly believes that the bulb is a fuse. God help us :disturbd: Eventually one of the older assistants, who took one look at the bulb and knew exactly what it was, told us that Maplin's didn't sell bulbs for cars :rolleyes: It was totally unreasonable of us to expect that they would - it is after all an electrical retailers.

Alan Waddington
24-07-2004, 08:28
Maplins seem to be going downhill. I remember years ago you used to be able walk in, wave an electrical component at them, and they'd know straight away whether they sold it and would get you as many as you needed. <snip>

Maplin's used to be a mail order component retailer, but have re-invented themselves as a high street retailer for computer cards and other electrical kit. Each year they seem to stock less and less components, even some stuff (signal relays) from the 2003/4 catalogue is already "while stocks last", with no similar new items to migrate to. I get a lot of my electrical stuff from RS these days because Maplins just doesn't stock a wide enough range to build anything. Gripe, moan...

On the plus side, they do have a number of more obscure hobbyist (as proposed to professional) electronics items, which I haven't found elsewhere, so they still get some business from me.

On the bulb front - I would try Halfords first, then the parts dept of a dealerfor that model second (probably more expensive)

Alan

goochywahwah
27-11-2007, 13:01
In a lot of forums people say "you'll get it in maplins" BUT before you buy anything at Maplins, shop around, I bought an SLX 1 freeview booster in their Wimbledon store at £24.99, saw it in Asda 2 weeks later (the same one, different packaging) for £9.97, & also on this web page
http://www.beststuff.co.uk/slx1.htm
I had already thrown away the packaging so did'nt take it back but e-mailed Maplins (2 weeks ago) to ask why they charge more than double for the same product, they didn't get back to me so I phoned & was basicly told I should've shopped around before i bought it,so there you go. shop around,

All the best
Goochywahwah.....:angel:

Halcyon
27-11-2007, 18:23
I have to admit I once worked for them and thakfully only stayed there a few months.
The pay was dreadful, the hours totally awful, their prices are too expensive, and the music they play in the shop could make you want to jump off a bridge.

Lord Nikon
27-11-2007, 20:01
Maplin's 14 day policy is for no-fault returns and refunds, ie if you bought it but don't like it even though there is nothing wrong with it, they will exchange or refund it. Other than that your warranty is generally 12 months (though I think it may be less on B Grade items)

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Maplin's used to be a mail order component retailer, but have re-invented themselves as a high street retailer for computer cards and other electrical kit. Each year they seem to stock less and less components, even some stuff (signal relays) from the 2003/4 catalogue is already "while stocks last", with no similar new items to migrate to. I get a lot of my electrical stuff from RS these days because Maplins just doesn't stock a wide enough range to build anything. Gripe, moan...

On the plus side, they do have a number of more obscure hobbyist (as proposed to professional) electronics items, which I haven't found elsewhere, so they still get some business from me.

On the bulb front - I would try Halfords first, then the parts dept of a dealerfor that model second (probably more expensive)

Alan

Have they not learned from Tandy? They did the same thing, component sales migrated to goods sales, then the company went bankrupt in the UK.

AAAARGH - I just looked at the dates on this thread.... Necro ressurection...

Mr_love_monkey
27-11-2007, 21:59
In a lot of forums people say "you'll get it in maplins" BUT before you buy anything at Maplins, shop around, I bought an SLX 1 freeview booster in their Wimbledon store at £24.99, saw it in Asda 2 weeks later (the same one, different packaging) for £9.97, & also on this web page
http://www.beststuff.co.uk/slx1.htm
I had already thrown away the packaging so did'nt take it back but e-mailed Maplins (2 weeks ago) to ask why they charge more than double for the same product, they didn't get back to me so I phoned & was basicly told I should've shopped around before i bought it,so there you go. shop around,

All the best
Goochywahwah.....:angel:

do you own the site?

goochywahwah
28-11-2007, 07:55
Am not sure if "do you own the site" is a qestion for me as I've just joined this forum and am still finding my way, if it is for me, no i dont.
Goochywahwah.

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 08:43
Am not sure if "do you own the site" is a qestion for me as I've just joined this forum and am still finding my way, if it is for me, no i dont.
Goochywahwah.

yeah, it was aimed at you - was just curious that's all :)

Paul K
28-11-2007, 09:18
Nice 3 year old thread resurrection ;)

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 09:23

least he used the search facility :)

Help!!!
28-11-2007, 09:25

Was thinking the same thing!!

rovert