PDA

View Full Version : Length of Ethernet Cable

Church Mouse
22-07-2004, 21:27
Hello,

I want a patch ethernet cable to connect from my laptop to my cable modem box. At present I connect via a 3 metre cable but I now need approx 6 metres of cable. (to reach to another room)

Is this possible and will it effect the quality that I get at present?

Thanks for advice

Church Mouse :angel:

Bifta
22-07-2004, 21:29
Hello,

I want a patch ethernet cable to connect from my laptop to my cable modem box. At present I connect via a 3 metre cable but I now need approx 6 metres of cable. (to reach to another room)

Thanks for advice

I had a 10 metre bit before I went wireless, worked perfectly, so you should be fine.

Musicman
22-07-2004, 21:34
Hello,

Thanks for advice

If I remember correctly according to the Ethernet spec the maximum length of UTP is 100m

Jon T
22-07-2004, 21:51
If I remember correctly according to the Ethernet spec the maximum length of UTP is 100m

Correct :tu:

Jon

Church Mouse
22-07-2004, 21:53
Thank you both.

I am a happy mouse!!

Church Mouse

Tricky
23-07-2004, 06:32
I am using a 50mtr length alongside electrical cabling and suffer no problems

andrew_wallasey
23-07-2004, 09:11
I am using a 50mtr length alongside electrical cabling and suffer no problems
Electric cables do make a differerence but only at higher speeds would you notice a difference.

When I worked as an electrician we had to install a telephone system using CAT5 and it did make a difference over long runs.

MikeyB
23-07-2004, 10:13
Electric cables do make a differerence but only at higher speeds would you notice a difference.

When I worked as an electrician we had to install a telephone system using CAT5 and it did make a difference over long runs.
Yep, it can make a difference, but as you say, probably only at higher speeds.
Where I used to work, we had new offices built, and the contractors put the ethernet cable along side the main ring, not too bad till you realise some of the main ring wires where 430V(?) used to charge electric fork-lift trucks. Everytime a fork-lift was plugged in/unplugged, the network would go down!!!!