PDA

View Full Version : How do I setup a VPN?

Matthew
30-07-2003, 19:01
I need to setup a vpn between 2 computers that are about 10 miles away. I have control of the one that is about 10 miles away so I can do it with out going into town.

The one that is 10 miles away is running 98se and mine is running XP pro.

What do I need to do?

Thanks

Xaccers
30-07-2003, 19:03
Upgrade the 98 to XP and you can control it through any web browser

Matthew
30-07-2003, 19:06
I can't do that because the computer is too old.

Xaccers
30-07-2003, 19:07
Then you'll need some remote control software like PCanywhere or NetSupport.

(what's the spec of the 98 PC?)

Lord Nikon
30-07-2003, 19:09
WinVNC also works, and is FREE

Matthew
30-07-2003, 19:12
I am controlling the PC using PC Anywhere, but I need to set a vpn up.

I am not sure on the spec of the 98 machine but I know 98 is all it can take and buying another pc is out of the option.

Xaccers
30-07-2003, 19:15
Well you could try accessing it via a dynamic DNS name...

Matthew
30-07-2003, 19:16
How do you do that. I know it's IP address.

KingPhoenix
30-07-2003, 20:17
Originally posted by Xaccers
Well you could try accessing it via a dynamic DNS name...

How does that make it a vpn??? :S

Ok... why do you need to access the other machine using a VPN system??

Is it an internal company machine that has access to an internal mail server? or has an intranet service on the internal network??

You only need to connect to another machine on a VPN system is if you intend on using services that are on that machines network... If so you will need to install a VPN server on that machine and configure access levels and accounts....

A bit more info will help to determine which package suits your needs (i.e. is it mail? intranet? full network admin etc...)

Matthew
30-07-2003, 21:35
It is for transfer of different documents and a web server runs on the one that is about 10 miles away.

It also has documents that need transfering between locations and it is quicker to do it this way rather than e-mail as they get changed too often.

Please help me.

KingPhoenix
30-07-2003, 21:41
If its really just for transfer of documents, then using pcAnyWhere you have the fastest available connection...

I personally prefer to use Remote Admin, or known as Radmin, as its very basic and easy to use....

A VPN is not really what your looking for in this instance.

A VPN is normally where you have a network running in an office for instance, and when you take your laptop into the office you can check your internal e-mail, but cant when your not in the office, so what happens is you connect to one of the machines at the office, which virtually connects you using your external IP address to the internal network, thus allowing you to... If that made any sense whatsoever :S... lol

Matthew
30-07-2003, 21:47
OK, could you please tell me how to setup a VPN, I know what you are getting at but I and the person who's computer it is would prefer to setup a VPN.

KingPhoenix
30-07-2003, 21:54
but you cant setup a proper VPN between 2 machines........ unless 1 of em is connected to an entire network :S

And you need specific VPN software, windows doesnt really have the capacity to offer VPN

Matthew
30-07-2003, 22:04
My machine is connected to the entire network. I just need to connect the other one up which is 10 miles away.

KingPhoenix
30-07-2003, 23:03
in which case, i suggest looking softwarehere (http://www.vpnlabs.com/) at a free piece of VPN

philip.j.fry
31-07-2003, 00:50
As far as I was aware, VPN client support is built into win98.

I found this http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ucs/vpn/vpn98.html you might be able to adapt it to your needs.

I'm not really sure what you're after from a vpn but if the only thing is file transfer, you might wish to consider FTP as an alternative, try searching download.cnet.com for software.

If you are worried about the security aspect you could try ssh along with the related sftp software from http://lexa.mckenna.edu/sshwindows/ this encrypts all the traffic including passwords.