PDA

View Full Version : why do ntl reccomend outlook express

homerjay
30-07-2003, 15:47
my wife has been losing emails lately (who hasnt) from ebay
and today i told her to just call ntl and ask what the problem might be

she was told something along the lines of dont use outlook use outlook express outlook isnt supported

why is this - does anybody know :shrug:

hawkmoon
30-07-2003, 16:00
Probably because Outlook has tended to be seen as a commercial product rather than a home user product as is OE.

This is the only reason that I can think of.

Though switching from Outlook to OE is hardly going to solve disappearing mail problems though IMO.

Stuart W
30-07-2003, 16:03
Outlook Express is already on the users Windows PC, so they *only* cater for that.

It's a bit like them recomending a USB conection for broadband. Your PC should already have a USB port, but may not have a network card.

homerjay
30-07-2003, 16:19
i thought so but my poor wife bless her wants outlook express cos someone told her so on the phone now
so gonna have to put it on just to keep her happy till she misses another email
at which point i will get it in the neck again

i suppose this leads to one question

the question that drives us all

why is ntl's email system so patchy ?

Russ
30-07-2003, 17:14
Originally posted by hawkmoon
Probably because Outlook has tended to be seen as a commercial product rather than a home user product as is OE.

This is the only reason that I can think of.

This is the exact reason.

BenH
05-08-2003, 22:36
For those trapped in outlook and windows hell, might I recommend Thunderbird from the Mozilla foundation, the interface is like OE/Ximian etc so doesnt represent any transitional problems an dhas lots of little features that OE lacks, and wil allways lack such as Bayesian spam filtering.

Although I should add that it lacks some of OE's features, such as automatically opening any attachments containing virii, trojans or root kits.

Regards,

BenH

(scarey UNIX guy :)