PDA

View Full Version : Falling Signal to Noise ratio

dave.m
21-07-2004, 16:04
Hi,

I've been a contented NTL BB user for over 3 years now (since the service went live in my area) and over that time I've had very good service from them. Unfortunately that's changed now, and I'm getting a repeated problem which is really annoying me due the time spent explaining the same problem to CS and then having a service/installation engineer out only to find there is nothing wrong with the cable modem or connections but Network problems.

My re-occurring problem is the falling downstream Signal to Noise ratio, I check it through my Surfboard 3100 or docsisdiag util. Currently the level is fluctuating between 21 and 26db (21-24 overnight/morning. 23-26 during the day), anything below 24db and I get no service which sometimes causes the cable modem reboots itself too. The last visit from the Network Engineer fixed the level at 27db(UBR change I think), but this was only with a -12db(out) attenuator attached. A month has now passed and the level has fallen back down to its current state and I'm now having to go through CS trying to explain the problem again which they always think lies with my PC due to the connection being intermittent (CS did a test from their end which supposedly came back ok). When the Network Engineer was here last, I asked him why the levels would drop like that, the two reasons he gave me were either network re-balancing or fluctuations in temperature (outside I presume). The later explanation does make sense somewhat because the SNR level drops a few dbs overnight and then picks up during the day again, although I don't think temperature is causing the overall drop. As I'm one of the early few that bought my cable modem, I wanted to make sure there wasnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t anything wrong with it (causing me to pay extra for the rental only scheme if there was), so I took it to my brothers house which is in the next town. He also has a Surfboard 3100 with a healthy SNR of 36db. I swapped my cable modem with his to see if I would get the same SNR as his, mine also showed 36db which to me confirms its not the problem and still must be a Network problem.

What I'd like to know is whether this kind of problem is happening to other people and if so why don't NTL have the ability to detect this problem when they do network re-balancing. It makes me think this problem will get worse when they upgrade service speeds in August.

TIA

Dave

Kettering (Northants) area.

paulyoung666
21-07-2004, 16:07
hi and :welcome: to the site , at the end of the day you shouldnt have to put up with poor service , get back on to them and ask to speak to someone higher up the chain , or you could always vote with your wallet ;) , i hope you enjoy your stay here :)

andrew_wallasey
23-07-2004, 09:17
They might have moved you down a tap in your CAB. There should not be any reason for a sudden drop in signal like that. You might just need to be moved up a tap in the CAB.

I am about 100m away from the CAB with an RG11 and RG6 pull to the house. Both of these are on the top tap in the CAB. The RG11 is split 3 ways (2 Set top boxes) and the RG6 is on a barrel in the drop box for another Set top box. I have got an SNR of around 30.

dave.m
23-07-2004, 09:27
Thanks for your reply Andy. I remember them mentioning my tap posistion being moved (can't remember the reason why now), maybe that was the start point of my re-occuring problem.

Dave

dave.m
23-08-2004, 09:47
*update*

The problem has now been resolved.

One morning 21-26db, the next stable 34db. Very happy NTL customer again.

Apparently the UBR had problems (other customers reporting this too), an engineer called up the next day and asked if everything was ok as he'd taken "all the bits" out from the UBR to try and locate the fault. Whatever he did, its worked and I'm pleased to say my connection has been stable since.

I can understand it must be very difficult to locate faults like this, all I can say is stick with it and try not to lose your rag with CS because it doesn't help.

Dave

andrew_wallasey
23-08-2004, 12:13
Great news :)

Ignition
23-08-2004, 15:08
Sounds like he was having some difficulties with the cabling going from the uBR (the uBR itself is just a router with CMTS cards in it, not much there to take all the bits out of ;) )
The HFC network is far more complicated, and if there are issues with the upconverters (the things that take the signals from the uBR and ramp the frequency up for injection onto the DTV streams) or the various splitters, multiplexers, media converters and amplifiers from there it'd do your SNR rather a lot of harm.

Tuftus
24-08-2004, 10:33
Dave.m,

Just a quick one, I got home yesterday (NN10 Rushden) to find my connection out with the modem lights just blinking and constantly rebooting, called TS and they said it was low signal and would need an engineer.

Is that what happened to you or did you just have pants browsing etc?

All the best,

Tuftus

dave.m
24-08-2004, 10:59
Dave.m,

Just a quick one, I got home yesterday (NN10 Rushden) to find my connection out with the modem lights just blinking and constantly rebooting, called TS and they said it was low signal and would need an engineer.

Is that what happened to you or did you just have pants browsing etc?

All the best,

TuftusIf you can check you're own SNR reading through your modem do so. Depending on modem, anything in the low 20's isn't good and will either cause a reboot or very poor connection.

This is a great site for cable modem info:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

Tuftus
25-08-2004, 13:38
Dave,

Same thing happened to me, got home last night and connection was back up and SNR back to 31 from 20.

Wierdness.

Tuftus