PDA

View Full Version : Broadband work in the Leeds area?

greencreeper
20-07-2004, 01:18
Just lost broadband for about an hour from 23:40 yesterday evening. I was happily browsing the net when everything stopped working :( Lights on the modem were going on and off randomly. I tried the server status line - no mention of Leeds or loss of connectivity for all customers. NTL had closed early for the evening :rolleyes: I even went outside and checked that the kids hadn't damaged the cable. Sat here fretting for an hour wondering if I'd lost broadband for a fortnight :disturbd: Then it just came back on. Can any of our resident engineers account for this loss of service??

seaneeboy
20-07-2004, 09:21
I'm in leeds and have had very dodgy service for quite a while now - although it's not gotten so bad that i've complained about it yet.

greencreeper
20-07-2004, 16:25
Well normally the broadband is fine - no major prob's other than the usual email/browsing issues. I was just wondering if the outage was due to unreported engineering work. If not, then I'll give the phone monkeys a call and see what they say.

[edit] I've lived in Seacroft and now Holbeck - no prob's in either area.

Paul
20-07-2004, 16:49
It may have been a bit of local work or it could have been a local fault that was spotted and fixed. Many such short local problems never find their way to the status pages.

greencreeper
20-07-2004, 16:57
Be nice if they could say "There was a problem in the Leeds area last night due to...". Still, it is NTL - I should be grateful they fixed it :D

greencreeper
26-07-2004, 22:01
The problem has come back again - modem is up and down like a yoyo and the Net is crawling. At first NTL didn't want to know - took them 15 minutes to answer the phone in which time the modem had come back up and all was seemingly well. After I put the phone down the modem went off again :rolleyes: This time when I phoned NTL the woman agreed to send an engineer. I'm waiting for a phone call to arrange an appointment. I doubt I'll get one. Fed up :cry:

greencreeper
27-07-2004, 02:59
It's weird. Taken me over an hour to get back online. I checked the modem diagnostics and everything is within the ranges given on Robin Walker's site. The pattern (familiar) now is: gradual loss of services, downstream light which normally flickers away goes out, sync and ready go out shortly afterwards. Sometimes all the lights go off except power. Seems that the modem is rebooting?? Just have to hope the engineer finds something - if I ever see him.

[edit] Monitoring the cable modem via its diagnostics - the Upstream Transmit Power Level is rising. Now at 61dBmv. It'll go down any minute now.

DEKKER
03-08-2004, 19:50
Broadband - Leeds Area

I've been with NTL for the past 15 months - no problems with the original issued Cable Modem over that period then it started !!
Modem was constantly re-setting itself - LED's out apart from Power & Ethernet.This lasted 3 days with the NTL Technician having run tests on both the Modem & the local Network.No faults could be determined.
In the meanwhile the Modem was erratic to say the least.
Finally on the 3rd day after 5 hours of getting absolutely nowhere on the Support Line, it was discovered that NTL's recorded MAC address differed from the actual one pasted on the bottom of the Modem.The correct one was recorded by NTL and bingo - solid LED's on my Cable Modem & the problems went away but not before NTL stated that the Cable Modem must have been changed because they couldn't be wrong !!!
If you are experiencing the same symptoms with a Cable Modem then bear the above in mind.

greencreeper
03-08-2004, 20:06
When you first get a cable modem, or if you move house, you don't get a "proper" IP address, you get one that's sort of designated as no-man's land. Back in February, not long after I'd moved house, without warning my IP address changed from a valid address to one in no-man's land. I tried visiting the moving house URL and entering my details again but I kept being told my MAC address wasn't valid. Tech support had to remove my modem's MAC address from the system and add it again. Total mystery as to why I was suddenly assigned a no-man's land IP address. So, yes, strange things do happen with NTL :D

seaneeboy
04-08-2004, 15:28
my problem was fixed by changing proxy, by the way, so more likely unrelated than not - sorry :)

greencreeper
05-08-2004, 02:08
my problem was fixed by changing proxy, by the way, so more likely unrelated than not - sorry :)

I'm always proxy hoping :( One day NTL might fix them :erm: