PDA

View Full Version : Maniac Driver!

Escapee
19-07-2004, 16:43
I was travelling home doing about 55-60MPH on the inside lane of the dual carraigeway at about 10pm last night on a straight section between roundabouts, I became aware of a maniac hurtling towards me at some velocity in the same lane. the outside lane was empty and as far as I was concerned this idiot was not going to pull out, I veered off over the rumble strips as the car decided it was time to pull into the outside lane!

I could see something on the roof of the car in my mirror and thought it was a taxi, it obviously slammed its brakes on and pulled in behind me. It then became very clear that it was not a taxi at all, but a Volvo V70 police patrol car. They stuck behind me and followed me off the dual carraigeway for about half a mile and then decided to pull me over. I wound the window down and the police officer asked me if I had been drinking, I replied "No" and then he asked if I had been playing about with my radio or using the phone.

I was getting a little bit annoyed at this and replied " No, If you are wondering why I swerved off the dual carraigeway it was because I thought the idiot following me travelling about 25MPH faster was going to ram me up the A*se, and if you want me to blow into your little bag thats no problem"

The driver was still in the police car, and the copper talking to me smiled and said very sorry sir if it was our fault and sorry to of stopped you.

I got the impression that the copper was a little bit embarassed by his collegues driving action, and was probably a little suprised that I gave him my side of the story without wrapping it up too nicely. If he hadn't of had ABS I'm sure he would of hit me. :disturbd: I had nothing to wory about or hide, so I didn't see why I should not tell him things as they were.

I expect I will be a marked man now. :D

paulyoung666
19-07-2004, 16:51
2 choices , make a complaint and end up being hassled for evermore , or put it down to a lucky escape :disturbd:

iadom
19-07-2004, 17:30
You could have braked suddenly to avoid a "dog" and then took them to the cleaners for causing the accident..doubt that you would get away with that though.:rolleyes: PS. when you said hurtling towards you, I first thought you meant, head on.:shocked:

Edit. On second thoughts thats not a very good idea unless you drive a Sherman tank.
A young lad drove into the back of my stationary Volvo V70 at 30 mph, whilst looking the other way, his fathers Renault 7 was instantly converted to a Renault 5, and I never felt a thing.

gary_580
19-07-2004, 17:31
its not your responsibility to take evasive action of vehicles approaching you from behind.

However i would have took the PC's number and made a formal complaint of their driving. They're not even supposed to break the speed limit unless they are in an emergency situation.

etccarmageddon
19-07-2004, 17:34
they're only allowed to break the speed limit on motorways....

also worth noting that police cars only have 3rd party insurance!

Gareth
19-07-2004, 17:58
You should've wound down the window and said 'I haven't had a single c*nt all night, drinkstable' *hic* :beer:

paulyoung666
19-07-2004, 18:33
You should've wound down the window and said 'I haven't had a single c*nt all night, drinkstable' *hic* :beer:

go directly to jail and do not pass go :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

bopdude
19-07-2004, 18:44
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :naughty:

Steve H
19-07-2004, 18:53
Tailgating & agressive driving is becoming a common tactic for bored police officers nowadays :(

Escapee
19-07-2004, 19:19
its not your responsibility to take evasive action of vehicles approaching you from behind.

However i would have took the PC's number and made a formal complaint of their driving. They're not even supposed to break the speed limit unless they are in an emergency situation.

I was only interested in keeping my car in one piece to get me to and from work!

It really seemed like the driver was intentionally trying to provoke me :Yikes:

iron25
19-07-2004, 20:23
I've never seen the point in police having to drive their cars at break neck speed to get to where they are going. Ambulances & fire engines yes, as they have a purpose, most police drivers just see it as an opportunity to put their foot down and what for, to get to the scene of an accident which 9 times out of 10 is under control by the time they get there. They arrive and unneccessarily block off sections of the road to cause even more problems.

The other day a ford focus police car came flying around a bend in the middle of the high street. It must have been doing between 60-70mph in a 30mph zone and although they would of been able to see the middle of the corner there was no way that they could have known that no cars were stationary on the exit. I would say that they were very lucky not to cause a rather horrific accident because the road is known for traffic to build up and become stationary and the car cornered rather wide as well so if a wide lorry was coming in the opposite direction, no chance.

What makes it worse was the driver was a female copper :shocked:

Xaccers
19-07-2004, 20:37
I was driving back from Alton to the A3 late one night and kept being blinded by a car behind me, some way back, who wouldn't dip his main beams.
I got to the roundabout on the A3 and headed south.
The car behind had caught up and was sitting on my tail
I was doing 70 on a dual carrigway so he could easily overtake.
Up ahead there was a Romahome doing about 60, so I pulled out, slowed down and pulled back in just in front of the romahome, the car that was tailing me did try and force his way in but couldn't.
As it passed I saw it was a police car and he flashed his blues once and sped off!

Stuart
20-07-2004, 13:43
they're only allowed to break the speed limit on motorways....

also worth noting that police cars only have 3rd party insurance!
I'm pretty sure they are allowed to break the speed limit anywhere, but only if it is an emergency and it is safe for them to do so.

ian@huth
20-07-2004, 13:54
There is an interesting read on the subject at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2940180.stm

Guess how many times police vehicles were involved in accidents in 1997 before you read it.