PDA

View Full Version : Fat in bread

Ramrod
18-07-2004, 09:45
Three slices of bread have more fat than Mars bar
Lois Rogers and Jonathan Ungoed-Thomas

SOME bread sold in Britainââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s supermarkets contains so much fat that eating three slices gives you more fat than a Mars bar.
Industry insiders have disclosed to The Sunday Times that food manufacturers are using fat to bulk up and extend the shelf life of common foods.

Until traditional local bakeries closed in the 1960s and 1970s, bread rarely contained fat. But it is used in new processed versions to ensure bread stays moist and fresh longer.

Research by The Sunday Times last week identified Marks & Spencer Organic Wholemeal Bloomer and Warburtons Seeded Batch as having some of the highest fat levels. Three slices of each contained 12 grams and 12.3g respectively. A standard-sized Mars bar, weighing 62.5g contains 10.9g of fat.
By contrast, some brands of sliced white bread, which has generally been regarded as the least healthy option, contained as little as 1.3% fat. The fat content of brown breads varied from 2.1% to 8.9%.

Although a small proportion of fat in brown bread might be accounted for by oil from the wheatgerm used to produce the bread, most of it is in the form of added vegetable fat and oil.

Modern production methods allow fat to be chemically manipulated so that the texture †” described by industry insiders as the †œmouth feelâ₠¬Ã‚ of a processed food †” does not give away the inflated fat content.

Malcolm Kane, former chief food technologist for Sainsburyâ₠¬â„¢s, said: †œThe disproportionate amount of fat in the average daily diet, which is masked by the judicious use of other ingredients, is why people find it so difficult to control their fat intake.

†œIt is entirely possible for the industry to warn people about the high fat content of processed foods because they already do it with low fat products. Manufacturers donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t do it because they donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t have to.ââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚

Jens Kristott, a food technologist for Britannia Food Ingredients which supplies the cocoa butter fat for Mars bars, said: †œPeople think there is no fat in bread and there shouldnââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t be. It is used in industrial bread-making because it makes the whole process much cheaper. Instead of wasting time and energy leaving the bread to rise naturally in a warm place, you can force in bubbles of air using fat to hold the structure.ââ ¬Â
Tom Sanders, professor of nutrition at Kingâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s College London, believed food manufacturers were adding fat because it was cheap and readily absorbed flavourings: †œI am very surprised they are putting so much into bread. I have noticed that the average ready-made sandwich used to contain about 300 calories and now seems to contain about 450. That might be part of the reason why.â₠¬Ã‚

A spokesman for Marks & Spencer said ingredients were clearly identified on its product labels in line with the companyââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s image as a responsible retailer.

Warburtons attributed its breadÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s high fat content to the seeds in it. It said fat was added to bread to make it keep longer and was done in response to consumer demand. 'kin barstewards :afire:

link (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,2761-1182680,00.html)

yesman
18-07-2004, 09:47
Yes I get Fat in ma Whit Bread as well :D

Jerrek
18-07-2004, 09:49
Hmm, bake your own bread. :)

This is, to say the least, slightly disturbing, and I'd wager quite true here too.

bopdude
18-07-2004, 09:50
Just goes to show you, you don't know what your getting shoved down your neck nowadays, good job I don't do a lot of bread thanks to Mr Atkins :p:

But fat in bread :shocked: :sick: what next, *Soilent green mode ( spelling )

Jerrek
18-07-2004, 09:53
um, butter = fat... You need some fat in butter, whether that be oil, butter, or perhaps eggs.

bopdude
18-07-2004, 09:57
um, butter = fat... You need some fat in butter, whether that be oil, butter, or perhaps eggs.
Granted but a mars bars worth :shocked:

paulyoung666
18-07-2004, 10:04
isnt this another stop worrying about it job , if everyone worried about everything theey ate then they would be dead because they didnt eat anything :disturbd:

Chimaera
18-07-2004, 10:36
Right I have now declared my house to be a bread free zone - have crossed 'bread' off the shopping list for later and replaced it with 'standard sized Mars bars'.
Although how I will make ham sandwiches with them for lunch next week remains to be seen! ;)
And they will melt in the toaster as well? :scratch:

paulyoung666
18-07-2004, 10:41
Right I have now declared my house to be a bread free zone - have crossed 'bread' off the shopping list for later and replaced it with 'standard sized Mars bars'.
Although how I will make ham sandwiches with them for lunch next week remains to be seen! ;)
And they will melt in the toaster as well? :scratch:

aint going to work i reckon , mind you , batter them and deep fry them :D :D :D

Ramrod
18-07-2004, 11:03
French toast anyone? :disturbd:

gary_580
18-07-2004, 11:47
what a joke you cant compare bread with mars bars!! fat isnt the only ingrediant. Is 65% of a mars bar water? no its not but in some bread it is. grrrrrrrrr these people are just out to make a story and scare people.

paulyoung666
18-07-2004, 11:50
what a joke you cant compare bread with mars bars!! fat isnt the only ingrediant. Is 65% of a mars bar water? not its not but some bread it. grrrrrrrrr these people are just out to make a story and scare people.

yup i reckon so :mad:

Chimaera
18-07-2004, 11:53
what a joke you cant compare bread with mars bars!! fat isnt the only ingrediant. Is 65% of a mars bar water? not its not but some bread it. grrrrrrrrr these people are just out to make a story and scare people.
Well it's scared me!!!!! :Yikes:
No more bread in this house - Mars bars all the way! :D
(I wonder how the kids will take that?) ;)
Mind you, I think I read somewhere this week that white bread makes you fatter than wholemeal?? Perhaps we should just give up eating altogether? :D

Theodoric
18-07-2004, 12:10
<Snip>Mind you, I think I read somewhere this week that white bread makes you fatter than wholemeal?? Perhaps we should just give up eating altogether? :D
It won't be a problem if you buy your sandwiches from M&S. They obviously feel that white bread is for the hoi polloi, not M&S customers. If you're fortunate you might find a ham and cheese sandwich made with white bread but otherwise you are likely to be out of luck.

Mr_love_monkey
18-07-2004, 12:30
The reason you find so much fat in bread these days is because of the way it is made - bascially they have a process called the CBP - the Chorelywood Bread Process, which basically though one method and another, allows them to greatly reduce the amount of time needed to make bread, i.e. it only takes a few minutes (I believe) to have the dough ready, as opposed to the day it would take for 'natural' bread, however a downside of this is the large amount of hydrogenated(hard) fat needed to keep the bread stable, and make sure that it tastes right, these days however hydrogentated fats are slowly being replaced with fractionated fat, which is basically made from palm oil - however, some literature has also linked it with heart disease, so it doesn't make it any better than hydrogenated fat.

A good book to read is 'Not on the label' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0141015667/qid=1090146490/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-1166640-2171027) which has a whole chapter on the bread making process - the whole book is quite an eye opener (or a stomach churner - especially the bit about chicken...)...

Also bread is classified as a high salt food by the Government Health guidelines, with .5g going into every 100g of bread.

Maggy
18-07-2004, 13:39
Lovely fresh crusty bread spread with butter. :drool: :drool: :drool:

paulyoung666
18-07-2004, 14:27
:drool: Lovely fresh crusty bread spread with butter. :drool: :drool: :drool:

is that toasted or untoasted , toasted would be my preference as the butter sinks in :drool:

Mr_love_monkey
18-07-2004, 15:56
You should try and support local breadshops, i.e. ones that actually make their own dough, and bake their own bread, since a lot of the bakeries now, used ready made dough, which is produced using the wonderful CBP. Places like Sainsbury's and Asda which have their own 'bakeries', do the same thing as well - fooling you into thinking it's 'freshly' made - when all it is is pre-processed dough, which is just finished off in their ovens...

And we won't even talk about the anti-fungicidal spray they coat bread in these days so that it lasts for 5+ days...

danielf
18-07-2004, 16:03
You should try and support local breadshops, i.e. ones that actually make their own dough, and bake their own bread, since a lot of the bakeries now, used ready made dough, which is produced using the wonderful CBP. Places like Sainsbury's and Asda which have their own 'bakeries', do the same thing as well - fooling you into thinking it's 'freshly' made - when all it is is pre-processed dough, which is just finished off in their ovens...

And we won't even talk about the anti-fungicidal spray they coat bread in these days so that it lasts for 5+ days...

We got ourselves a bread maker, so we decide what goes into the bread. Works a treat, the bread is excellent, and baking is really easy (according to my gf ;) ). The only drawback is that you have to slice it.

greencreeper
18-07-2004, 19:07
I keep my bread in the freezer - I get a few slices out now and then. I can toast it straight from the freezer, obviously. So why do I need my bread fiddled with in order to make it keep longer?? I guess Greggs is the answer - ditch the main brands.

Ramrod
18-07-2004, 19:14
I keep my bread in the freezer - I get a few slices out now and then. I can toast it straight from the freezer, obviously. So why do I need my bread fiddled with in order to make it keep longer?? I guess Greggs is the answer - ditch the main brands.The answer is in the last line of the article: It said fat was added to bread to make it keep longer and was done in response to consumer demand. It seems we asked to have fat included in our bread :rolleyes: .........'kin t*ssers :afire:

Russ
18-07-2004, 19:15
I must be seeing things - I thought the title of this thread was 'fart in bed' :disturbd:

greencreeper
18-07-2004, 19:17
The answer is in the last line of the article: It seems we asked to have fat included in our bread :rolleyes: .........'kin t*ssers :afire:

Well they didn't ask me :mad:

Ramrod
18-07-2004, 20:10
I must be seeing things - I thought the title of this thread was 'fart in bed' :disturbd:Freudian slip, eh Russ? :D

Mr_love_monkey
18-07-2004, 20:18
I guess Greggs is the answer - ditch the main brands.

Yes, but do Greggs actually make their bread properly from scratch, or are they just using this preprocessed dough, if they are there's no difference between that loaf and one of the big name brands.

The recent increase in sales for bread making machines seems to point towards a general dislike of bread these days...

Freudian slip, eh Russ?

Thats nothing, in the bit I typed above, I originally typed breast rather then bread. twice. What does that say about me? or what does it say about my diet?? :)

Chris
18-07-2004, 20:19
I got a breadmaker for my 30th birthday (just over a year ago). we very rarely buy bread at all now - really only if we come home from a weekend away or a holiday too late to be bothered putting it on. Otherwise, it's home baking all the way in our house, and we've never looked back. The standard recipe I follow does include butter though.

Julian
18-07-2004, 20:33
I got a breadmaker for my 30th birthday (just over a year ago). we very rarely buy bread at all now - really only if we come home from a weekend away or a holiday too late to be bothered putting it on. Otherwise, it's home baking all the way in our house, and we've never looked back. The standard recipe I follow does include butter though.

:tu: Agree 100%

Typically a large loaf in our machine includes 1 oz of butter.

However we make a lot of different breads.... esp. for bolognaise sauce, which include cheese in the recipe so no butter. :drool:

greencreeper
19-07-2004, 00:09
Yes, but do Greggs actually make their bread properly from scratch, or are they just using this preprocessed dough, if they are there's no difference between that loaf and one of the big name brands.

Damn :( Will have to check that out. The village where my parents live (where I grew up) had a couple of small bakeries - dunno if they're still going, what with modernisation. Will have to check that out too :)

Wouldn't the bread go off quicker if it has a high fat content?? Something for the mould to feed on??

gary_580
19-07-2004, 00:16

Same here, we bought one of those about 3 years ago. I love those winter Sunday mornings.

The papers drop through the door, the smell of baking bread wafts up the stairs, then the bacon smells wafts up as well, and bacon sarnies and coffee with the paper all appear in bed!!! hmmmmmmmmmmmm bliss

Xaccers
19-07-2004, 00:20
Take an egg or two and break it into a plate mixing the white and yoke.
Place a slice of bread onto the plate letting it soak up the egg, turn over and make sure both sides are covered.
Bung the slice into a frying pan and heat both sides but don't let it burn.
Place on a new plate, then spread marge and sugar on top and eat.
Yummy :drool:

homealone
19-07-2004, 00:38
We got ourselves a bread maker, so we decide what goes into the bread. Works a treat, the bread is excellent, and baking is really easy (according to my gf ;) ). The only drawback is that you have to slice it.

we did too, and yes if you get good flour and follow the instructions, they do make nice bread - you can get slicing guides :)

Xaccers
19-07-2004, 00:39
You can try using atkins flour too :D

greencreeper
19-07-2004, 00:39
Place a slice of bread onto the plate letting it soak up the egg, turn over and make sure both sides are covered.
Bung the slice into a frying pan and heat both sides but don't let it burn.
Place on a new plate, then spread marge and sugar on top and eat.
Yummy :drool:

Eggy bread! :tu: Dunno about the marge and sugar though - I just eat the eggy bread with a bit of salt as a snack.

Xaccers
19-07-2004, 00:42
Eggy bread! :tu: Dunno about the marge and sugar though - I just eat the eggy bread with a bit of salt as a snack.

Try it with marge and sugar.
Don't attempt any more than 2 slices though or else your arteries will solidify

greencreeper
19-07-2004, 00:44
Try it with marge and sugar.
Don't attempt any more than 2 slices though or else your arteries will solidify

I tried repping you for the post. Bloody useless forum software :fit: Will try with marge and sugar. Statistically I'll be lucky to make 50 anway, so I'm not worried about my arteries :D

homealone
19-07-2004, 01:07
I tried repping you for the post. Bloody useless forum software :fit: Will try with marge and sugar. Statistically I'll be lucky to make 50 anway, so I'm not worried about my arteries :D

noooooo - not the marge & sugar :D

greencreeper
19-07-2004, 01:09
noooooo - not the marge & sugar :D

This is what being online does to you :( You're selling and grandma severally go to potty :D

Graham
19-07-2004, 01:14

Mmm! Eggy bread, been a long time since I had that.

I'll have to go shopping tomorrow...! :)

Graham
19-07-2004, 01:15
Try it with marge and sugar. Don't attempt any more than 2 slices though or else your arteries will solidify

Have it with a couple of slices of bacon in between....!

Cholesterol special :D

Maggy
19-07-2004, 10:02
Same here, we bought one of those about 3 years ago. I love those winter Sunday mornings.

The papers drop through the door, the smell of baking bread wafts up the stairs, then the bacon smells wafts up as well, and bacon sarnies and coffee with the paper all appear in bed!!! hmmmmmmmmmmmm bliss

I can guess who the lazy slob is from that description ;) Hope you take it in turns on a Sunday?

orangebird
19-07-2004, 12:40
Can anyone recommend me a good bread making machine?

TIA :)

gary_580
19-07-2004, 12:43
The Panasonic one is the best i know of. Its by no way the cheapest but it is good.

Make sure you get one that heats before it bakes. Vital for yeast to work

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/bread-bakery/index.htm

gary_580
19-07-2004, 12:46
I can guess who the lazy slob is from that description ;) Hope you take it in turns on a Sunday?

:Yikes: thats slanderous!! ;) i do it on Saturdays.

Chris
19-07-2004, 12:46
Can anyone recommend me a good bread making machine?

TIA :)

I have a Panasonic SD253, which Mrs T bought after much online review-reading and price comparing. It has more options and variations than you can shake a stick at and has never let me down. The bread is always top notch.

http://www.johnlewis.com/stores/product.asp?sku=230164643&str=13&source=6132

A useful feature is the raisin/nut dispenser - if you fancy making sweet breads, this gadget releases the nuts or raisins into the dough at the correct point mid-cycle. Many other bread machines simply bleep to tell you to do this manually, which is a pain because you have to hang around the kitchen waiting for it.

Home made hot cross buns .... mmmmm .... :drool:

edit

Beaten to it by Gary! But at least we're recommending the same machine :)

gary_580
19-07-2004, 12:54
I have a Panasonic SD253, which Mrs T bought after much online review-reading and price comparing. It has more options and variations than you can shake a stick at and has never let me down. The bread is always top notch.

http://www.johnlewis.com/stores/product.asp?sku=230164643&str=13&source=6132

A useful feature is the raisin/nut dispenser - if you fancy making sweet breads, this gadget releases the nuts or raisins into the dough at the correct point mid-cycle. Many other bread machines simply bleep to tell you to do this manually, which is a pain because you have to hang around the kitchen waiting for it.

Home made hot cross buns .... mmmmm .... :drool:

edit

Beaten to it by Gary! But at least we're recommending the same machine :)

Top machine, ours is a lot older than that so we dont have the flashy nut releaser. We've never had a single failure in terms of making bread. We use it to make pizza dough as well and to be honest i've never tasted pizzas so good.

Ours did go wrong under warranty, one of the keys on the keypad became very hard to press. John Lewis took it back and it was repaired within 10 days.

Chris, try the Malted fruit loaf thats in the books that comes with it (i assume the books the same, might not be). You need to go to a chemist to get the liquid malt extract but the results are :drool: :drool: :drool:

Mr_love_monkey
19-07-2004, 12:56
Off topic... but....

...which Mrs T bought....

That would make you Mr T then? - quite frankly I haven't seen you end enough sentences with 'Sucka!' or 'Fool!'. Come to think of it, not once have I seen you start a sentence with 'I pity the fool that....'.
... and what's more, from your picture, I can't see you wearing _any_ gold, let alone enough to sink a battleship...

I don't think you are living up to the Mr T name - either make changes, fast, or you're going to have to pick a new name..... :D

gary_580
19-07-2004, 12:58
Off topic... but....

That would make you Mr T then? - quite frankly I haven't seen you end enough sentences with 'Sucka!' or 'Fool!'. Come to think of it, not once have I seen you start a sentence with 'I pity the fool that....'.
... and what's more, from your picture, I can't see you wearing _any_ gold, let alone enough to sink a battleship...

I don't think you are living up to the Mr T name - either make changes, fast, or you're going to have to pick a new name..... :D

:rofl: :tu:

Chris
19-07-2004, 13:21
Top machine, ours is a lot older than that so we dont have the flashy nut releaser. We've never had a single failure in terms of making bread. We use it to make pizza dough as well and to be honest i've never tasted pizzas so good.

Ours did go wrong under warranty, one of the keys on the keypad became very hard to press. John Lewis took it back and it was repaired within 10 days.

Chris, try the Malted fruit loaf thats in the books that comes with it (i assume the books the same, might not be). You need to go to a chemist to get the liquid malt extract but the results are :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'll have a go at that, I've been meaning to get a little more adventurous with the recipe book. I love malt loaf :drool:

@OB: Best online price at the moment, according to Kelkoo, is at 24-7 Electrical (anyone got any comments about them? Nerve bought anything from that website myself): http://www.24-7electrical.com/epages/twentyfourseven.storefront/EN/Product/pansd253?STS=247&source=KELKOO

Total price £85.98 including delivery.

That would make you Mr T then? - quite frankly I haven't seen you end enough sentences with 'Sucka!' or 'Fool!'. Come to think of it, not once have I seen you start a sentence with 'I pity the fool that....'.<snip>

Alrright, alright ... I used to call her Mrs towny but my name change pretty much killed that off. Hopefully my new sig will help redress things. I can do the van, but the bling would be just a bit much :D

orangebird
19-07-2004, 13:26
I'll have a go at that, I've been meaning to get a little more adventurous with the recipe book. I love malt loaf :drool:

@OB: Best online price at the moment, according to Kelkoo, is at 24-7 Electrical (anyone got any comments about them? Nerve bought anything from that website myself): http://www.24-7electrical.com/epages/twentyfourseven.storefront/EN/Product/pansd253?STS=247&source=KELKOO

Total price £85.98 including delivery.

Alrright, alright ... I used to call her Mrs towny but my name change pretty much killed that off. Hopefully my new sig will help redress things. I can do the van, but the bling would be just a bit much :D

Thanks to both Towny and gary850 - Amazon are selling them for £79.97 incl free delivery - the reviews on there were great too, so have ordered one! :)

Chris
19-07-2004, 13:29
Thanks to both Towny and gary850 - Amazon are selling them for £79.97 incl free delivery - the reviews on there were great too, so have ordered one! :)

It's amazing what you can find in a bookshop if you look hard enough :D You won't be disappointed with the machine.

Julian
19-07-2004, 13:33
Just to add even more weight to Gary and Chris - we also have the Panasonic machine - the SD 251.

Our 3rd breadmaker and by far the best. :)

Chris
19-07-2004, 13:36
<snip> flashy nut releaser.

I ... no, I can't bring myself to say it. :angel: :D

homealone
19-07-2004, 13:42

Thats the one we have as well, you won't be disappointed OB :tu:

- I'm just eating my lunchtime sarnie - Tuna & Cucumber on semi-wholemeal with poppy seeds & sunflower seeds, courtesy of the nut dispenser - delicious.:)

Nugget
19-07-2004, 13:43

I can :devsmoke:

I think it's very important that you can release your nuts (particularly when making bread) ;)

Still, could be worse - he could have said a 'flasher nut releaser', which is a whole different ball game *ahem*

Nugget
19-07-2004, 13:45
Thats the one we have as well, you won't be disappointed OB :tu:

- I'm just eating my lunchtime sarnie - Tuna & Cucumber on semi-wholemeal with poppy seeds & sunflower seeds, courtesy of the nut dispenser - delicious.:)

And I've told you before about dispensing your nuts :Yikes:

gary_580
19-07-2004, 14:01

come on, i set it up for you to take ;)

gary_580
19-07-2004, 14:03
Still, could be worse - he could have said a 'flasher nut releaser', which is a whole different ball game *ahem*

:rofl: Different ball game!!

homealone
19-07-2004, 14:12
And I've told you before about dispensing your nuts :Yikes:

that's 'cos you are allergic & it would cause swelling ;)

danielf
19-07-2004, 14:12

Yes, to add further weight, that's the one we have, and it's great. 80 quid is a good price as well. I think I paid 100, from Argos a year ago (and that was an offer).

Nugget
19-07-2004, 14:16
that's 'cos you are allergic & it would cause swelling ;)

:erm: you promised that you wouldn't mention that again! ;)

greencreeper
19-07-2004, 23:23
I dunno :no: I return to this thread and find that it's turned into a Women's Guild meeting. A load of "men" discussing bread recipes. Cars, football, beer, bread recipes :erm:

I checked on Greggs - they have big factories that make stuff and it's "finished" in store. So I guess their bready is fatty too :( Bakers Oven (also owned by Greggs) do tend to have in-store bakeries - so maybe there's some hope.

Chris
19-07-2004, 23:28
I dunno :no: I return to this thread and find that it's turned into a Women's Guild meeting. A load of "men" discussing bread recipes. Cars, football, beer, bread recipes :erm:

Join us, brother. You know you want to. :ghugs:

I checked on Greggs - they have big factories that make stuff and it's "finished" in store. So I guess their bready is fatty too :( Bakers Oven (also owned by Greggs) do tend to have in-store bakeries - so maybe there's some hope.

You see, the only way to take control of your bread is to make your own. I've just loaded up my trusty Panasonic with the ingredients for a 50% wholemeal loaf. I will be awakened tomorrow morning to the delicious smell of fresh baked bread wafting up the stairs. :drool: :D

danielf
19-07-2004, 23:33
You see, the only way to take control of your bread is to make your own.

The only way to take control of your bread is to make your own??????

This thread is getting weirder and weirder :confused: :D

gary_580
19-07-2004, 23:42
I will be awakened tomorrow morning to the delicious smell of fresh baked bread wafting up the stairs. :drool: :D

Whats up with you man, get Mrs T down there so that the bacon smell wafts up as well!!! ;)

greencreeper
19-07-2004, 23:43

Tell me about it :D All these "new men".

danielf
19-07-2004, 23:51
Tell me about it :D All these "new men".

See, I was smart and bought my girlfriend the bread maker. She's the one doing the baking :)

greencreeper
19-07-2004, 23:55
See, I was smart and bought my girlfriend the bread maker. She's the one doing the baking :)

Like buying an iron as a present you mean? I bet she loves you :D

homealone
19-07-2004, 23:57

was that bread - as in 'the daily' - i.e. money?

or actual 'bread' - flour, water, yeast & yeast food, salt :)

<edit> actually if you want weird - there was the tv series :erm:

danielf
19-07-2004, 23:59
Like buying an iron as a present you mean? I bet she loves you :D

She does actually, and she was very pleased with the bread maker :)

Another bonus was that I no longer had to go and buy bread...

greencreeper
20-07-2004, 00:06
was that bread - as in 'the daily' - i.e. money?

:erm: I think that's a crime :D

Chris
20-07-2004, 10:24
Well, as predicted the smell of fresh wholemeal bread was wafting upstairs this morning. No bacon though :(

paulyoung666
20-07-2004, 10:27
Well, as predicted the smell of fresh wholemeal bread was wafting upstairs this morning. No bacon though :(

ahhhhhhhhhh but a load of nice butter melting into it would be nice though ;) :D :D :D

Mr_love_monkey
20-07-2004, 10:39
If you have bacon, doesn't it really cancel out the healthyness of the wholemeal??? :)

Chris
20-07-2004, 10:42
If you have bacon, doesn't it really cancel out the healthyness of the wholemeal??? :)

A mere technicality. :D

We do trim the rind and the fat off if we're having bacon. :angel: Actually there's a pack in the fridge we'll need to have before we go on holiday. :drool: Mmmm, bacon sarnies.

gary_580
20-07-2004, 10:46

Looks like Mrs T wears the trousers ;)

Chris
20-07-2004, 10:49
Looks like Mrs T wears the trousers ;)

No, but she does change the nappies. There is a very delicate symbiosis in our house that I don't want to upset. ;)

paulyoung666
20-07-2004, 11:26
A mere technicality. :D

We do trim the rind and the fat off if we're having bacon. :angel: Actually there's a pack in the fridge we'll need to have before we go on holiday. :drool: Mmmm, bacon sarnies.

with brown sauce i hope ;)

Mr_love_monkey
20-07-2004, 11:32

Will you all just stop it, stop it now!
I've only just had breakfast and all this talk of bacon sarnies is making me hungry! :)

gary_580
20-07-2004, 11:52

ahh but Daddies or HP?

paulyoung666
20-07-2004, 11:54
ahh but Daddies or HP?

daddies of course , silly question :D :D :D :D :D

gary_580
20-07-2004, 11:58
daddies of course , silly question :D :D :D :D :D

absolutely

Chris
20-07-2004, 12:01

Groo! Stop this now! A perfect bacon sarnie consists only of the following:

One white crusty loaf, freshly prepared in a Panasonic SD253. Set it up for extra large size, dark crust.
Four slices of Danish trimmed, smoked bacon
A knob of Anchor butter (Anchor 'spreadable' is an acceptable substitute)
A generous dollop of Heinz tomato ketchup. None of this minging brown sauce nonsense. Brown sauce is for steak pies and beef casseroles.

:D :drool:

Nugget
20-07-2004, 12:02

My God :shocked:

My girlfriend has told me, in no uncertain terms, that if I ever bought her anything like that, she'd have my (how can I put this) bits and pieces nailed to the wall :Yikes:

Fancy a swap ;)

Chris
20-07-2004, 12:05

My girlfriend has told me, in no uncertain terms, that if I ever bought her anything like that, she'd have my (how can I put this) bits and pieces nailed to the wall :Yikes:

Fancy a swap ;)

I bought Mrs T an attachment for our Kenwood chef once (not long after we were married), having seen her chopping ingredients for dinner and thinking what a loving gift it would be if I could give her something to make that onerous task easier.

I have never made that mistake again. :disturbd:

On the other hand, she bought me the breadmaker because she knew I like yeast baking but seldom have time to do it these days (I used to bake bread at University, dossy arts student as I was).

Maggy
20-07-2004, 12:07

AHEM!!!

Nugget
20-07-2004, 12:12
I bought Mrs T an attachment for our Kenwood chef once (not long after we were married), having seen her chopping ingredients for dinner and thinking what a loving gift it would be if I could give her something to make that onerous task easier.

I have never made that mistake again. :disturbd:

On the other hand, she bought me the breadmaker because she knew I like yeast baking but seldom have time to do it these days (I used to bake bread at University, dossy arts student as I was).

*snigger*

My mum once told me that she wanted a colander for her birthday - after buying her one (for about a quid) and giving it to her, I then found out that she was joking :dozey: . You would not believe the amount of grovelling that it took to get me out of that one!

Mr_love_monkey
20-07-2004, 12:12
AHEM!!!
That's a nasty cough you've got there :)

gary_580
20-07-2004, 12:18
Groo! Stop this now! A perfect bacon sarnie consists only of the following:

One white crusty loaf, freshly prepared in a Panasonic SD253. Set it up for extra large size, dark crust.
Four slices of Danish trimmed, smoked bacon
A knob of Anchor butter (Anchor 'spreadable' is an acceptable substitute)
A generous dollop of Heinz tomato ketchup. None of this minging brown sauce nonsense. Brown sauce is for steak pies and beef casseroles.

:D :drool:

no no no no

One Crusty FRENCH loaf, prepared in a Panasonic SD250 is fine. French loaf has a crustier crust and the SD250, well its the ORIGINAL machine!!

non smoked and non salty BACK bacon (from the local butcher)

Anchor butter it has to be,

topped with one fried free range egg with a runny yolk

and daddies sauce

Chris
20-07-2004, 12:24
no no no no

One Crusty FRENCH loaf, prepared in a Panasonic SD250 is fine. French loaf has a crustier crust and the SD250, well its the ORIGINAL machine!!

non smoked and non salty BACK bacon (from the local butcher)

Anchor butter it has to be,

topped with one fried free range egg with a runny yolk

and daddies sauce

I'd agree with all of that except for the machine (because I have no choice, and because I like the raisin/nut dispenser being there even if I'm not using it - it makes me feel less sad at not having a little window to watch the bread being made!) and the sauce. It just has to be tommy, I'm afraid, and Heinz at that. :D

gary_580
20-07-2004, 12:25
it makes me feel less sad at not having a little window to watch the bread being made!

No window on mine :confused: i mean her's ;)

Maggy
20-07-2004, 12:26
That's a nasty cough you've got there :)

No it was a STAGE cough.Don't you know anything? :p:

danielf
20-07-2004, 12:27

Fancy a swap ;)

Well, in fact, she brought up the bread maker, in since we're always struggling to think of birthday presents for each other, I got her the bread maker for her birthday. Actually, she repaid the compliment by getting me a nice Le Creuset casserole for my birthday, which I was very pleased with. (We both like to cook).

I think I'll hang on to her, but thanks for the offer :)

Chris
20-07-2004, 12:29
No window on mine :confused:

None of the Panasonics have a window, but some other brands do. I stayed with some friends at the weekend whose machine's entire top lid is transparent. It was quite interesting to be able to glance at it from time to time and see what it's getting up to, because my own machine leaves you guessing. The only clues are nice yeasty smells and the occasional hum, or when it starts wobbling about during a spell of frenetic kneading. I started thinking that it would be nice to have a window, then I realised that the raisin/nut dispenser was right where the window would have to be, and I decided I'd rather have the dispenser than a window.

Clearly I spend far too much time thinking about my bread machine. :disturbd: :D

greencreeper
20-07-2004, 17:23
AHEM!!!

The occasional rose among thorns :)

On the subject of bacon butties - I prefer BBQ sauce to ketchup or brown. Yummy.

Ramrod
20-07-2004, 17:26
On the subject of baking your own bread......we have an AGA :D

............and if someone could show us how to use it properly we would be very grateful :disturbd:

paulyoung666
20-07-2004, 17:26
None of the Panasonics have a window, but some other brands do. I stayed with some friends at the weekend whose machine's entire top lid is transparent. It was quite interesting to be able to glance at it from time to time and see what it's getting up to, because my own machine leaves you guessing. The only clues are nice yeasty smells and the occasional hum, or when it starts wobbling about during a spell of frenetic kneading. I started thinking that it would be nice to have a window, then I realised that the raisin/nut dispenser was right where the window would have to be, and I decided I'd rather have the dispenser than a window.

Clearly I spend far too much time thinking about my bread machine. :disturbd: :D

you need to get out a bit more my mate :erm: :rofl: :rofl:

Chris
20-07-2004, 17:29
On the subject of baking your own bread......we have an AGA :D

............and if someone could show me how to use it properly we would be very grateful :disturbd:

Our new house has a WOOD-BURNING Aga (well, a Raeburn, actually, but essentially the same thing) :PP: ;) :D

After we move in, look out for Chris T starting threads on the best way to swing a two-handed axe :naughty: :cool:

Chris
20-07-2004, 17:30
you need to get out a bit more my mate :erm: :rofl: :rofl:

I need to get out of my head more often, it gets cramped in there sometimes. :spin:

Xaccers
20-07-2004, 17:33
Our new house has a WOOD-BURNING Aga (well, a Raeburn, actually, but essentially the same thing) :PP: ;) :D

After we move in, look out for Chris T starting threads on the best way to swing a two-handed axe :naughty: :cool:

Best way is with about 8 inches between your hands, and remember to follow through and slice that Orc's head off....um, sorry, bit of a flashback...

Ramrod
20-07-2004, 17:34
omfg...how old is that then?
It's going to be a real pain in the butt keeping that thing going properly.........and we thought that we had problems wih ours :disturbd: :D

Mr_love_monkey
20-07-2004, 17:34

You should speak to me, I've got lots of experience of handling a large 'tool' that require both hands to grip it.
:) :naughty:

Edit - My own tool, I must point out, no one elses.... :)

Chris
20-07-2004, 17:45
omfg...how old is that then?
It's going to be a real pain in the butt keeping that thing going properly.........and we thought that we had problems wih ours :disturbd: :D

It's an old Forestry Commission labourer's cottage, built 1952. The whole house is timber built and the heating is solid fuel (i.e. wood). The fireplace in the lounge heats the water and the radiators, the Raeburn heats water only. Other houses on the plot have since converted to gas or oil tanks but this one is 'original' as the current owners are in to the whole ecological lifestyle thing ... they have an organic veg garden too.

There is a modern kitchen in the extension which is all-electric (and there is an electric immersion heater on the radiators too, just in case) but we're really looking forward to making use of wood for fuel as far as possible. The raeburn is in what is now a small additional sitting room.

Raeburn/Aga ovens are quite clever at heat regulation - ours has a built in heat exchanger which is plumbed into the heated towel rail in the bathroom. You don't have to worry what temperature it is, provided the fuel supply is constant, the temperature is constant. Each oven compartment is a different temperature - goodness only knows how they manage that - the only trick is knowing which is which. An Aga dealer might be able to tell you, or failing that just buy an oven thermometer and test it yourself. A trip to your local second-hand bookshop to find a very old cookbook would be a good idea, as what you really need, if oven baking (whether bread or anything else) are recipes that describe oven temperatures as 'cool', 'hot', 'very hot' etc rather than as gas marks or degrees.

And to come nicely back on topic, AFAIK you bake bread in the 'very hot' oven compartment, and man am I looking forward to it. :drool: I may have to give up work and bake things to sell to passing hikers on the West Highland Way instead.

Nugget
20-07-2004, 17:49
You should speak to me, I've got lots of experience of handling a large 'tool' that require both hands to grip it.
:) :naughty:

Edit - My own tool, I must point out, no one elses.... :)

So you're well-practised with using your 'chopper' then, eh :naughty:

Chris
20-07-2004, 17:51
Now gentlemen, this is a family forum :nono: ;) :)

Ramrod
20-07-2004, 17:53
It's an old Forestry Commission labourer's cottage, built 1952. The whole house is timber built and the heating is solid fuel (i.e. wood). The fireplace in the lounge heats the water and the radiators, the Raeburn heats water only. Other houses on the plot have since converted to gas or oil tanks but this one is 'original' as the current owners are in to the whole ecological lifestyle thing ... they have an organic veg garden too.

There is a modern kitchen in the extension which is all-electric (and there is an electric immersion heater on the radiators too, just in case) but we're really looking forward to making use of wood for fuel as far as possible. The raeburn is in what is now a small additional sitting room.

Raeburn/Aga ovens are quite clever at heat regulation - ours has a built in heat exchanger which is plumbed into the heated towel rail in the bathroom. You don't have to worry what temperature it is, provided the fuel supply is constant, the temperature is constant. Each oven compartment is a different temperature - goodness only knows how they manage that - the only trick is knowing which is which. An Aga dealer might be able to tell you, or failing that just buy an oven thermometer and test it yourself. A trip to your local second-hand bookshop to find a very old cookbook would be a good idea, as what you really need, if oven baking (whether bread or anything else) are recipes that describe oven temperatures as 'cool', 'hot', 'very hot' etc rather than as gas marks or degrees.

And to come nicely back on topic, AFAIK you bake bread in the 'very hot' oven compartment, and man am I looking forward to it. :drool: I may have to give up work and bake things to sell to passing hikers on the West Highland Way instead.We have aga cookbooks. You will also need to buy aga cookware (pots/pans) as anything else wont really give you the propper heat transmission between the hotplate and bottom of the cookware. The problem with that is that aga cookware is very expensive. If you use 'inferior' stuff it takes longer to heat up and you consequently loose more heat from the agas store of heat.....then you need more fuel.....

Nugget
20-07-2004, 17:54
Now gentlemen, this is a family forum :nono: ;) :)

:sorry:

I tried not to, but my brain took over my hands :dig:

Mr_love_monkey
20-07-2004, 18:02
:sorry:

I tried not to, but my brain took over my hands :dig:

The problem is you see, the hardened fat they use in bread destroys the unsaturated fats, which the body needs to function properly - since I don't get enough unsaturated fats, my synapses can misfire, resulting in me typing things I shouldn't....

no, really. :)

Anyway, the fact about the hardened fat destroying the unsaturated fat is true - which is another good reason to make your own bread.

Theodoric
20-07-2004, 20:06
The problem is you see, the hardened fat they use in bread destroys the unsaturated fats, which the body needs to function properly - since I don't get enough unsaturated fats, my synapses can misfire, resulting in me typing things I shouldn't....

no, really. :)

Anyway, the fact about the hardened fat destroying the unsaturated fat is true - which is another good reason to make your own bread.
Can you be a bit more specific about the mechanism for this. Saturated fats have a long chain backbone with only single carbon to carbon bonds. Unsaturated fats have the occasional carbon to carbon double bond. So what exactly is happening? Are the double bonds being saturated to give single bonds? Are the chains being broken at the double bonds? Is it some other mechanism? I'd like to see a few more details before agreeing with this.

Ramrod
25-07-2004, 10:10
Extra sugar, just for Britain (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,2761-1190868,00.html)SOME OF Britainââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s bestselling breakfast cereals contain about one-third more sugar and more than three times the amount of salt than the same brands sold abroad.
Source: The Sunday Times