PDA

View Full Version : Getting frustrated!

scot
29-07-2003, 22:03
:spin: Has anyone else had these problems?

For the last month or so my dial-up connection (on it's own cable telephone line) has periods when either the web or the email service is missing, or even when just receiving emails is impossible. For example:- yesterday until 4pm the web was inaccesible but the email connection was OK. After 4pm the web returned, but I could send but not receive emails. Same loss of web this morning. Two days ago,the email connection was dead both ways. The NTL telephone status line said there were no problems anywhere. My broadband connection meanwhile was perfect during all that time.

What boils my blood is that the only email answer I received gave me a number to call which turned out to be for broadband only - "know nothing about dial-up,mate - here is a £1 per minute 0906 number to call for that lot."

I have had no reply to my subsequent email refusing to pay that for NTL's failures. Thank goodness I am in the process of changing over to broadband (and, even at 150Kb/s, it downloads 3 to 4 times faster, although surfing hasn't quickened). :)

hoggyspuds
29-07-2003, 22:52
i can understand your frustrations......all i can say is you are not alone! I've had the e-mail problems for ages....although never had a problem getting onto the net. A friend of mine has had his e-mail account down for 2 weeks now. NThell say they have no record of his a/c ever being switched off....it must have been an admin error?...explain that one!

scot
29-07-2003, 23:11
I've never had problems logging in to NTL, just trying to send or receive emails, or going to any web page. I never seem to lose both web and email, just either web or (sending and/or receiving) emails. it is as if someone was plugging and unplugging the different connections. each state lasts for between several hours and a day.
guess this makes me a full member of Hellworld! :devsmoke:

Russ
30-07-2003, 09:02
Originally posted by scot

What boils my blood is that the only email answer I received gave me a number to call which turned out to be for broadband only - "know nothing about dial-up,mate - here is a £1 per minute 0906 number to call for that lot."

It's actually 50p per minute ;) :D

It could be one of many things, first we'd need to know what kind of set up you have there....

scot
30-07-2003, 11:53
Thanks, Russ D.

My dial-up set up is on a second telephone line.
the first telephone line is used for telephone and television.
both lines are from my NTL cable connection.
my broadband is from the same cable.

the dial-up connection is to a PII/400 PC running win98 via an external 3Com 56K Voice Faxmodem using V90. :)