PDA

View Full Version : Separated fathers rights and responsibilities

Ramrod
17-07-2004, 18:47
I was wondering if anyone here knows this info offhand (so I don't have to go digging for it) :D
What are the rights and financial responsibilities of a father if he and his wife split up (they aren't divorced). Their child is 3.5 y.o.
They have a house between them as well......
What does the father have to pay etc.....?

Tricky
17-07-2004, 19:01
I believe you will have to pay something but it all depends on your income, if you have the child at all etc.:
http://www.csa.gov.uk/home.asp
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Audiences/Parents/fs/en

Ramrod
17-07-2004, 19:51
Ta for that m8. I was also hoping for more 'personal' input from someone here.

cookie_365
17-07-2004, 22:12
I was wondering if anyone here knows this info offhand (so I don't have to go digging for it) :D
What are the rights and financial responsibilities of a father if he and his wife split up (they aren't divorced). Their child is 3.5 y.o.
They have a house between them as well......
What does the father have to pay etc.....?Links to some good advice at http://www.clsdirect.org.uk/index.jsp

Ramrod
17-07-2004, 23:17
Links to some good advice at http://www.clsdirect.org.uk/index.jsp
Thanks m8 :tu:

timewarrior2001
18-07-2004, 00:36
Father if working pays a minimum of £23 a week (off the top of my head) and if claiming benefit pays £5 a week.

If he has the child for over X amount of nights per year then he can claim a reduction. If he has costs incurred to himself to visit the child, then he can make a claim.
Basically as it stands, he has to pay the CSA until the child is either 16 and in full time employment or 18 if the child stays in full time education.

The money that is paid to the CSA is on top of any maintenance that is agreed between the parents or given in a court order. The money paid to the CSA does NOT go to the child, well not directly anyway.

The CSA at the moment has had my claim for over a year, I still havent had an evaluation done, I dont know how much I have to pay or when and where I have to pay it, but they are still charging me!!!!

In the past year I have received 1 phone call and One letter from them.
Dont hold your breathe.

Ramrod
18-07-2004, 08:16
Anyone know much of the mortgage does the father have to pay?

edit.....I don't understand, the cps imposes a payment above/on top of whatever has been agreed between the man and wife??! :confused:

ian@huth
18-07-2004, 10:39
One of the following sites may have what you want as by and large many issues apply equally to seperation and divorce.

http://www.ssafa.org.uk/Page_1_D_and_Fl_Consequences.html

http://www.divorceaid.co.uk/financial/children.htm

http://www.childsupportanalysis.co.uk/guest_contributions/snow_liability/index.htm

http://www.ondivorce.co.uk/index.htm

timewarrior2001
18-07-2004, 16:31
Anyone know much of the mortgage does the father have to pay?

edit.....I don't understand, the cps imposes a payment above/on top of whatever has been agreed between the man and wife??! :confused:

The man does NOT have to pay for the mortgage of a house he doesnt live in. However he will have to agree to a transfer of equity and come of the deeds to the house.

A maintenance agreement can be in place between the father and ex partner but the CSA does not and most likely will not take this into consideration. However if the maintenance order is a legal agreement, made by the courts then the husband can claim tax relief on the sum he pays in maintenance.

The CPS does not have anything to do with this :D However the CSA are indeed a law unto themselves.

In my case they seem to want blood, they arent interested I have to travle from Teesside to Luton to see my son, they arent interested that Unless I drive a 500 mile round journey that it costs me £120 to see my son and I do that every month.
Basically in the eyes of the CSA your the absent father, they dont care who left who, you are the bad one.

Ramrod
18-07-2004, 16:57
The man does NOT have to pay for the mortgage of a house he doesnt live in. However he will have to agree to a transfer of equity and come of the deeds to the house.

A maintenance agreement can be in place between the father and ex partner but the CSA does not and most likely will not take this into consideration. However if the maintenance order is a legal agreement, made by the courts then the husband can claim tax relief on the sum he pays in maintenance.

The CPS does not have anything to do with this :D However the CSA are indeed a law unto themselves.

In my case they seem to want blood, they arent interested I have to travle from Teesside to Luton to see my son, they arent interested that Unless I drive a 500 mile round journey that it costs me £120 to see my son and I do that every month.
Basically in the eyes of the CSA your the absent father, they dont care who left who, you are the bad one.Yes, I've heard they're ars*holes :(
Tnx for the info :tu:

Julian
18-07-2004, 17:05
Unless the split is acrimonious or the parent with care is claiming benefit there is no need to involve the CSA. :)

It seems to be used by vindictive parents as a weapon and by the government to get absent parents to cover the cost of income support.

Bear in mind that if the absent parent has a new partner and children these used to be taken into account in the calculation. ;)

Ramrod
18-07-2004, 17:12
Unless the split is acrimonious or the parent with care is claiming benefit there is no need to involve the CSA. :)

It seems to be used by vindictive parents as a weapon and by the government to get absent parents to cover the cost of income support.

Bear in mind that if the absent parent has a new partner and children these used to be taken into account in the calculation. ;)Interesting, ta :tu:

Julian
18-07-2004, 17:20
Have you seen the calculator HERE (https://secureonline.dwp.gov.uk/csa-contact/calc.asp) M8 ? :)

Note the exceptions - HERE (https://secureonline.dwp.gov.uk/csa-contact/exceptions.asp)

HTH

Tricky
18-07-2004, 17:27

Basically in the eyes of the CSA your the absent father, they dont care who left who, you are the bad one.

Be careful with the mortgage, if you are named on the mortgage alone then you pay it ALL, if you're in joint names then you're both liable, if you're not named then you might be scot free

timewarrior2001
18-07-2004, 17:34
I've applied for a variation in my claim.

And yes I agree with Julian, the CSA are used as a weapon against absent parents, more often than not though against the father.

The CSA as a government agency is pathetic, they deal with you in a harsh way, even when phone extra information in to them. Perhaps its the staff expecting to be blasted everytime they take a call, but when I'm calm and cheerfull when dealing with them I would hope to get the same back.

Anyway thats OT a little.

The CSA recoups money that the Gov fork out in Child benefit. However, It looks as If I will pay the sum of £23 a week for my son. Not much I agree.
Now comes the maths, and incidently where it gets bloody ridiculous:-

£23 per week X 52 weeks = £1196

Ok?

It costs me, £60 in petrol to get to see my son and return home.
This is on a monthly basis:-
£60 per month X 12 months = £720
BUT if I stay over, this Doubles, so say I stay over every other month.
60X6 = 360
120X6 = 720
360+720 = £1080

The CSA will still take £1196 a year off me, but then afaik refund £1080 for access costs?
so the gov recoups a total of £116 per year from me. Whilst paying mybex partner benefits, paying benefits for my son and employing people to work at the CSA.

Also because I do love my son, everytime I go I take 3 or 4 bags of clothes and /or toys.

EDIT: Thanks Tricky for pointing out that it wasnt as straight forward as I put it with mortgages.

Bex
18-07-2004, 17:35
<snip>It seems to be used by vindictive parents as a weapon and by the government to get absent parents to cover the cost of income support.

Bear in mind that if the absent parent has a new partner and children these used to be taken into account in the calculation. ;)
sometimes the parent who does not have the child simply refuses to pay and therefore the CSA will have to get involved iMO

Ramrod
18-07-2004, 18:09
Ta, the info will be passed on :tu:

cookie_365
18-07-2004, 19:21
Ta, the info will be passed on :tu:
Ramrod, with no disrespect at all intended to the other posters on this thread, but remember that your friend needs to make sure he takes what they've said as their personal experience which will not neccessarily be relevent to him and his particular circumstances.

Family law is insanely complex and the case law in respect of rights/responsibilities of unmarried couples when they split is still evolving. Lawyers make big heaps of £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ undoing the consequences of following the advice of 'armchair lawyers' ;)

Make sure he understands difference between personal experience, information posted into the public domain by qualified lawyers, and legal advice itself before he does anything irreversible. !

Ramrod
18-07-2004, 19:24
Ramrod, with no disrespect at all intended to the other posters on this thread, but remember that your friend needs to make sure he takes what they've said as their personal experience which will not neccessarily be relevent to him and his particular circumstances.

Family law is insanely complex and the case law in respect of rights/responsibilities of unmarried couples when they split is still evolving. Lawyers make big heaps of £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ undoing the consequences of following the advice of 'armchair lawyers' ;)

Make sure he understands difference between personal experience, information posted into the public domain by qualified lawyers, and legal advice itself before he does anything irreversible. !Absolutely. Thanks for that cookie. btw....it's my brother in law :mis: