PDA

View Full Version : Help - internet novice

Jayne Kimber
15-07-2004, 20:43
I have just got connected to bb yesterday after 2 and a half weeks of nightmares and not being that IT orientated i need some help! :erm:

When i registered i got an email address that didn't even spell my name correctly but was told that i could goto options and create another one with a new password. I did this and was happy with my new address but now have no idea how i veiw messages or even login as if i try to login on the main NTLworld homepage it reckons the account is invalid! I'm either being thick or just plain stupid but could anyone enlighten me? :dunce:

thanks, PS does enyone elses connection keep going off tonght?

gary_580
15-07-2004, 20:45
did you used the NTL install CD? And are you going to be using Outlook Express to view your e-mails?

where in the country are you?

Jayne Kimber
15-07-2004, 20:47
Hi, no i didn't use the install CD, tech support told me not to and they just talked me through it and yes outlook is exactly what i want to use to view my mails but don't know how to do that either.....

greencreeper
15-07-2004, 20:53
NTL webmail is here: http://webmail.ntlworld.com/
Email management options are here: http://www.ntlworld.com/help/customerServices/emailOptions.html

gary_580
15-07-2004, 20:53
Looks at the section on mail settings on this page

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/windowsxp/dialup.htm

Maggy
15-07-2004, 20:56
I think what Jayne needs lads is a hand to hold and some patient step by step instructions.

I wonder where Paul is?

Incog. :)

greencreeper
15-07-2004, 20:59
I think what Jayne needs lads is a hand to hold and some patient step by step instructions.

I know but I'm not an Outlook Express user anymore so I'm not much help. Best I can do is point in the direction of the email related webpages.

gary_580
15-07-2004, 20:59

I wonder where Paul is?

Incog. :)

Step by step guide is in here

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/windowsxp/dialup.htm

and i use Outlook Express

Jayne Kimber
15-07-2004, 21:00
Thankyou incog! you hit the nail right on the head.... I'm just more confused now LOL:D

gary_580
15-07-2004, 21:01
jayne go look in you PM's. The flashing red box at the top right of this screen

Jayne Kimber
15-07-2004, 21:03
jayne go look in you PM's. The flashing red box at the top right of this screen
mmmm flashing red box???? don't have one??

gary_580
15-07-2004, 21:03
should do

gary_580
15-07-2004, 21:05
You need your username and password, in order to complete the mail account set-up

How to configure outlook 6.0 for ntlworld

step 1: Open Outlook Express.

step 2: From the Tools menu, choose Accounts.

step 3: Click the Add button and choose Mail.

step 4: In the Display name field, type your full name.

step 5: Click the Next button.

step 6: In the E-mail address field, type your email address.

step 7: Click the Next button.

step 8: Click the down arrow on the My incoming mail is a ____ server drop-down list and choose POP3.

step 9: In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server field, type the POP3 server for your domain (ie. pop.ntlworld.com).

step 10: In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server field, type the SMTP server for your domain (ie. smtp.ntlworld.com).

step 11: Click the Next button

step 12: In the Account name field, type your email address

step 13: In the Password field, type your password

step 14: Check the box next to Remember password if you wish to save your password

step 15: Click the Next button

step 16: Click the Finish button.

step 17: Click the Close button.

You have successfully configured Outlook Express 6.0 for ntlworld email

Maggy
15-07-2004, 21:06
mmmm flashing red box???? don't have one??

scroll to the top of the page to where it says welcome Jayne Kimber.It should be flashing red 'cos you have been sent a private message.

gary_580
15-07-2004, 21:08
scroll to the top of the page to where it says welcome Jayne Kimber.It should be flashing red 'cos you have been sent a private message.

Tis ok, she has replied now

Paul K
15-07-2004, 21:10
Outlook express? Ok
Open Outlook Express
In the top tool bar click "Tools"
Select "Accounts"
Select "Add" and then click "Mail"
Enter the name you want to use as a display name for your email account
Click next
Enter the NTLworld email account name you created (joe.blogs@ntlworld.com for example)
Select next
For incoming mail server choose POP3
Incoming mail server is pop.ntlworld.com
Outgoing server is smtp.ntlworld.com
Select next
type in the user name chosen (the joe.blogs bit prior to ntlworld.com)
Type in your password
Select Next
select finish

damn beaten to it lol

Nemesis
15-07-2004, 22:16
Talk of the devil and he shall appear ;)

Paul K
15-07-2004, 22:17
Talk of the devil and he shall appear ;)
Was a bit busy lol but I got the red beacon of PM in the corner and dashed back here just in time to be beaten to the post :D ;)

gary_580
15-07-2004, 22:21
Outlook and Outlook express appear to be a little different.

But we just had an email exchange so Jayne's up and running

Paul K
15-07-2004, 22:23
Yep the settings are a little different but not that difficult to work through, well done Gary ;)

Nemesis
15-07-2004, 22:30
Yeah you'll also find that different version of Outlook operate differently too :( ... Welcome to Microsnot

gary_580
15-07-2004, 22:33
that the same as Microsod?

Nemesis
15-07-2004, 22:34
Yeah also known as Majorcrap too ;)

Paul K
15-07-2004, 22:35
Yeah you'll also find that different version of Outlook operate differently too :( ... Welcome to Microsnot
I know :(
A rough guide for Outlook 2002 would be:

In Outlook
In the top menu bar, select "tools"
Choose "email accounts"
Select "Add a new e-mail account"
Select "POP3"
Enter your details in the required boxes,for example
Name: Joe Blogs
Email address: joe.blogs@ntlworld.com
User name is the part before @ntlworld.com
Password as chosen for your ntl email account
Incoming mail server is: pop.ntlworld.com
Outgoing server is: smtp.ntlworld.com
Click next
Finish

gary_580
15-07-2004, 22:53
I know :(
A rough guide for Outlook 2002 would be:

it asked at the end how to connect to the net. No biggie, tis sorted now

Paul K
15-07-2004, 22:55
it asked at the end how to connect to the net. No biggie, tis sorted now
Connection type? Good old MS and its many different dialogues lol as long as its working then all is well. Now bugger off and get on the phone to CS ;)

gary_580
15-07-2004, 22:59
Theyre shut!!

Paul K
15-07-2004, 23:02
Theyre shut!!
That's no excuse, go round to the building near the prison and demand an answer lol
Off to bedski so night all, well done with the instructions Gary :)

gary_580
15-07-2004, 23:16
ahhhhhhhhhh i got a grey rep from that!! pfftttttttttt

greencreeper
16-07-2004, 00:36
I'll never understand why people use Outlook for POP/IMAP email - it's just awful. Outlook Express I can understand but I found it none too user friendly - having to switch from one profile to another when checking email. Then there's all the security problems. I found The Bat! and I've fallen in love :D

gary_580
16-07-2004, 07:16
why do you need to switch from one profile to another? I use one profile and it checks all my accounts in one hit.

Maggy
16-07-2004, 14:54
why do you need to switch from one profile to another? I use one profile and it checks all my accounts in one hit.

Ditto!

poolking
16-07-2004, 15:35
ahhhhhhhhhh i got a grey rep from that!! pfftttttttttt
Because Jayne hasn't been a member that long and as such she does not have enough reputation points to give you a green rep, so it is recorded as neutral reputation which is grey.

gary_580
16-07-2004, 15:37
Because Jayne hasn't been a member that long and as such she does not have enough reputation points to give you a green rep, so it is recorded as neutral reputation which is grey.

And made a deduction

Maggy
16-07-2004, 15:50
And made a deduction

I doubt she did that intentionally.Anyway grey reps don't add or take.

Anyway you ungrateful wretch I green repped you.Got be worth summat from me with my repping power. ;)

gary_580
16-07-2004, 16:29
I doubt she did that intentionally.Anyway grey reps don't add or take.

Anyway you ungrateful wretch I green repped you.Got be worth summat from me with my repping power. ;)

she didnt do it intentionally, i was just wondering why it to a rep away. I know it did because i saw it before and after.

and ty ty ty :nworthy:

greencreeper
16-07-2004, 23:21

I've experienced problems with email disappearing or appearing in the wrong inbox. There are also issues with the From address - i.e. ensuring you use the right one and don't make a tit of yourself. I like order - profiles provide it :)

There are much better, securer, feature-rich email clients out there - there's no reason for anyone to use Outlook Express. If everyone used it, then that would be a security weakness in the network - one that NTL should be worried about.

gary_580
16-07-2004, 23:25
if you set it up for all of them to be received into one inbox and then have one default account which you use to send all of your emails it suprisingly makes life a lot more simple.

I just set up XP to handle profiles. Who ever logs on gets their own email accounts. If you have old email accounts they all go into your own express inbox.

Maggy
16-07-2004, 23:38
I've experienced problems with email disappearing or appearing in the wrong inbox. There are also issues with the From address - i.e. ensuring you use the right one and don't make a tit of yourself. I like order - profiles provide it :)

There are much better, securer, feature-rich email clients out there - there's no reason for anyone to use Outlook Express. If everyone used it, then that would be a security weakness in the network - one that NTL should be worried about.

Well I tried Eudora and hated it.

I guess I'm an old stick in the mud. :)

greencreeper
16-07-2004, 23:42
if you set it up for all of them to be received into one inbox and then have one default account which you use to send all of your emails it suprisingly makes life a lot more simple.

I send and receive emails using my proper name for job and professional purposes. My main email account (dwarfinleopardskin) is for general use. I also have various other accounts I have for specific purposes. My affairs aren't simple enough to warrant lumping everything into one inbox and sending emails as one person :)

The Bat! lets me view all my profiles (email accounts) in one window. Changing between them (and thus changing the From address) is dynamic. If I want to send as dwarf, I click on any folder under my dwarf account. Easy :)

gary_580
17-07-2004, 00:06
Well I tried Eudora and hated it.

I guess I'm an old stick in the mud. :)

or sensible and like the easy alternaitve ;) i with you on this!

greencreeper
17-07-2004, 00:15
or sensible and like the easy alternative ;) i'm with you on this!

:D

Try The Bat!