PDA

View Full Version : Can't Turn STB On

gary_580
15-07-2004, 20:36
I've got P2P running. Upload is restircted to 1K and download is runnig at about 9K. Why is my STB so frozen i cant turn it on?

Paul
15-07-2004, 21:07
Because it's broken ? or cannot handle all the connections that P2P sometimes uses ?

gary_580
15-07-2004, 21:10
must be P2P connections, had to reboot it yet again. Funnily enough i didnt lose any connections and the STB is working now, but VERY slowly.

How can i get a SACM instead?

Neil
15-07-2004, 21:22
Moved to Broadband Discussion Forum.

Paul K
15-07-2004, 21:53
must be P2P connections, had to reboot it yet again. Funnily enough i didnt lose any connections and the STB is working now, but VERY slowly.

How can i get a SACM instead?
That will take time and a lot of complaining I'm afraid :( I had problems with a new STB that was installed after our trusty old one finally melted :(
Get on the phone and tell them the box is constantly freezing and requiring reboots. Ask for an engineer to check the line feeding your house and push for a replacement if it carries on happening.
You may be able to get a SACM if you carry on reporting the lock ups regularly and nothing else resolves it. In our area of the country they will only supply a SACM if you don't have a STB or if you have problems with your STB too often.

gary_580
15-07-2004, 21:59
grrrrrrr and if i ditch the whole package close on £100 a month they wont change it?

Paul K
15-07-2004, 22:02
grrrrrrr and if i ditch the whole package close on £100 a month they wont change it?
Now you know your leverage point when you ring them up ;) SACM or you change to BT broadband :D

gary_580
15-07-2004, 22:05
i have to reboot my STB every week anyhow to get channels 91-100 back, that cant be right

Paul K
15-07-2004, 22:08
i have to reboot my STB every week anyhow to get channels 91-100 back, that cant be right
Nope, best thing to do is ring them up, tell them how often it is being powered down, left for 30 seconds and then powered up. Also tell them about the lost channels, lock ups, dropped connections and general poor level of service and voice your opinion that a SACM would be a lot better option ;)

gary_580
15-07-2004, 22:10
Nope, best thing to do is ring them up, tell them how often it is being powered down, left for 30 seconds and then powered up. Also tell them about the lost channels, lock ups, dropped connections and general poor level of service and voice your opinion that a SACM would be a lot better option ;)

errmmm im going on holiday next week, i will take that long to explain all of it!!

Paul K
15-07-2004, 22:19
errmmm im going on holiday next week, i will take that long to explain all of it!!
Sometimes an hour on the phone can save weeks of annoyance and lost download time ;)
It took me 3 attempts to get an engineer to admit the STB I had was not up to the job lol

gary_580
15-07-2004, 22:29
grrr ive just spent 6 weeks proving to Anglian water that the water meter they have been charging me on for the past 4 years is actually connected to next doors house and vice versa!!!

gary_580
16-07-2004, 12:30
Called them today. They dont seem to be interested in installing a SACM. They just put me through to the cancellations department and no one ever picked up the call.

gary_580
16-07-2004, 17:13
Wooo hoooo a Senior NTL engineer is coming to visit tomorrow. Does that just mean they're old :D

Funny thing is they took a mobile number so they could arrange an appointment. Then proceded to leave an answerphone message on my home number with an appointment time, then left another message on same said device asking me to call them if it wasnt convenient. :erm: but if you told me who you were and what your number was i could call you, even better usedthe mobile number i gave you and is recorded on my account details

So no i dont have great hopes for tomorrow!!

gary_580
17-07-2004, 09:07
We the Eng turned up. 8:15 :Yikes: and he had already done one job!!

He did say the 4000 stb is poor and would be better with a SACM. Then proceeded to remove the only attenuator left in the line. Everytime they visit they reduce the size of the attenuator, now they are all gone. Hew then got all techy and rambled on about the digital and analogue signals needing to be split far enough appart that they dont ovwerlay each other, apparently mine were to far appart. This is all due to the fact that i live about 10 metres from the green cabinet. (i knew it would be my fault ;) )

One wonders what they will remove the next time if they have to visit not that all the attenators are gone.

Well he's gone now and we're giving it a go to see what happens. Next time it locks up, i cant change channel or i lose channels i think we will have the worlds fiirst NTL frisby

th'engineer
17-07-2004, 09:20
We the Eng turned up. 8:15 :Yikes: and he had already done one job!!

He did say the 4000 stb is poor and would be better with a SACM. Then proceeded to remove the only attenuator left in the line. Everytime they visit they reduce the size of the attenuator, now they are all gone. Hew then got all techy and rambled on about the digital and analogue signals needing to be split far enough appart that they dont ovwerlay each other, apparently mine were to far appart. This is all due to the fact that i live about 10 metres from the green cabinet. (i knew it would be my fault ;) )

One wonders what they will remove the next time if they have to visit not that all the attenators are gone.

Well he's gone now and we're giving it a go to see what happens. Next time it locks up, i cant change channel or i lose channels i think we will have the worlds fiirst NTL frisbyIts quite true about the 4000 the most reliable is the new samsung ( allthough i have not had one yet but got to agree with Bill C :angel: otherwise he sends the techs round :D )

Then in the following order 2000:tu: 1000:tu: :td: 4000:td: the current 2000 which has run here with a few minor problems for months, just needs a reboot now and again.

If it is a level problem he should report it to the network guys.

They usually fettle to amps or replace modules to keep the power of the datastreams at a constant level that allows your stb to lock to the stream.

The STB has a ability to cope with level variance but some are better than others.

I had the same happpen here over many years till i got a 2000 STB now all we see is NTL techs passing not staying .

If you press up then dwn then blue on the remote a menu is displayed that shows your levels.
Its worth checking them if you have problems