PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modems - can I buy a better one?

DollyPardon
29-07-2003, 16:07
The cable modem supplied by NTL delivers data ok, but I have a problem with it being powered by an AC adapter. It gets very hot when left on for long periods and this scares me. I would prefer a better quality modem with a built-in fan. Where can I buy one, does anyone know?

kronas
29-07-2003, 16:13
the adapter does get hot but that is normal also as far as i know you can only use NTL certified modems that they provide

certain models so there would be no point in purchasing a modem

Pritch
29-07-2003, 16:31
It shouldn't get excessively hot anyway. I've just gone and felt mine, and it's certainly no hotter than any other brick that I've got plugged in 24/7. Try calling in to report it as faulty if you feel it's too hot.

Ben
29-07-2003, 16:34
Welcome to the site DollyPardon :)

If you feel the modem is getting to hot you can always report it to NTL

What they will do I don't know, Possibly will be a charge if the modem if working correctly ?

Also : I have moved this thread to the Broadband Forum ;)

andygrif
29-07-2003, 18:01
Is it still the case that customer's cannot buy their cable modem? I own mine, under a deal I got out of them for trialling the 128k service (which BTW they never asked for my feedback on) and about 30 seconds after the trial ended I upgraded to the 512k (now 600k) service - complete with my shiny FREE modem!

I still get my £5 per month discount (or a lower CM service whichever way you look at it) becuase I own my modem.

I know that they withdrew the option of this discount, but do they only allow you to rent the modems now, or can you still buy your own if you want to (even if you don't get the discount anymore)?

I have older Motorola Cm, which has served me fine, and has a direct 240VAC power in. I hear that the newer ones are not built that well plus don't have the ethernet port, forgoing this for a USB one, is this correct?

peterska2
29-07-2003, 18:45
Originally posted by andygrif
<snip>
I have older Motorola Cm, which has served me fine, and has a direct 240VAC power in. I hear that the newer ones are not built that well plus don't have the ethernet port, forgoing this for a USB one, is this correct?

I have a brand spanking new ntl 120 CM and this has ethernet and USB ports. In fact I use the ethernet as my lappy's USB port is useless.

fraz
29-07-2003, 19:54
Originally posted by andygrif

I know that they withdrew the option of this discount, but do they only allow you to rent the modems now, or can you still buy your own if you want to (even if you don't get the discount anymore)?

Rental modems are the only option now. If you are currently receiving the £5 per month discount and you ever upgrade you will lose it (the discount that is)

On the question of temperature the 3com CMXs probably run the hottest of any of the models available (the glue on the plastic feet is constantly melting), mines still going strong 2 years or more down the line (scratching my head to think when it was first installed), so I wouldn't be too concerned.

DollyPardon
29-07-2003, 19:59
Thanks for all the above advice.

Although I am more concerned with my house going up in flames than the modem melting. Do all you guys have your modems switched on 24/7?

peterska2
29-07-2003, 20:02
mine is on 24/7

Ben
29-07-2003, 20:05
Originally posted by DollyPardon
Do all you guys have your modems switched on 24/7?

I do :)

fraz
29-07-2003, 21:02
Originally posted by DollyPardon
Thanks for all the above advice.

Although I am more concerned with my house going up in flames than the modem melting. Do all you guys have your modems switched on 24/7?

yup. The only time its been turned off is power cuts and house moves.

hoggyspuds
29-07-2003, 22:42
my modem has been switched on for 9 months......the plug is hot all the time. Am I right in thinking that it's converting the power to 12 volts? A version that uses an IEC lead (kettle type) with a built in fan would in my opinion be safer. It's the industry standard for professional equipment in my place of work........or.....does it all boil down to price?

fraz
29-07-2003, 23:06
Originally posted by hoggyspuds
my modem has been switched on for 9 months......the plug is hot all the time. Am I right in thinking that it's converting the power to 12 volts? A version that uses an IEC lead (kettle type) with a built in fan would in my opinion be safer. It's the industry standard for professional equipment in my place of work........or.....does it all boil down to price?
Power supply depends on the modem

3com CMX 24v external supply
Motorola inbuilt transformer (lead same as stb)
Terayons, same as the Motorla IIRC (someone correct me if im wrong please)
ntl:home 1** 10v external supply

Pritch
29-07-2003, 23:12
Originally posted by hoggyspuds

Don't know about safer. Out of all the people I know who are even geekier than me, I've never heard of a brick catching fire. Personally speaking, I've got one for the cable modem, speakers, network switch, cordless phone and my clock radio all turned on constantly, and they've never got too hot.

Pritch
29-07-2003, 23:13
Originally posted by fraz
Power supply depends on the modem

3com CMX 24v external supply
Motorola inbuilt transformer (lead same as stb)
Terayons, same as the Motorla IIRC (someone correct me if im wrong please)
ntl:home 1** 10v external supply

Terayon was an external brick power supply.

kronas
29-07-2003, 23:17
Originally posted by Pritch

yep it is i have one :)

fraz
29-07-2003, 23:19
Originally posted by Pritch
Ta mushly, about the only one I haven't physically played with at any time.

fraz
29-07-2003, 23:21
On a related note how many people here remeber the old dialup TV internet boxes with the overclocked 486's in ?? Now they really did get hot !!!!!!!

Jonboy
29-07-2003, 23:37
now you are showin your age frazzzzzzz

seniorbod
29-07-2003, 23:53
Dolly

I understand your concerns about hot plugs & fire. I have my modem (& computer, preinter etc) connectd to a surge protector unit which means I can centrally power everything off when I've finished. Much safer!!

andygrif
30-07-2003, 09:52
Originally posted by peterska2
mine is on 24/7

Same here

handyman
30-07-2003, 14:24
24/7 since install in feb with 2 pc's plugged in almost all the time.

Jonboy
30-07-2003, 14:51
ive got an old surfboard sb4100 been on for 2 years+ non stop except for the odd power cut mains driven dont know why they stopped usein this modem well i do but we wont go into that
it struggles to even get warm even on a hot day :D

fraz
30-07-2003, 15:19
just had a check, my CMX celebrated its 3rd birthday on the 10th July :cool:

DollyPardon
30-07-2003, 15:46
Originally posted by seniorbod
Dolly

I understand your concerns about hot plugs & fire. I have my modem (& computer, preinter etc) connectd to a surge protector unit which means I can centrally power everything off when I've finished. Much safer!!

That's interesting. Where can I buy one of these?

seniorbod
30-07-2003, 16:35
Dolly

You can buy these in most electrical stores included the likes of Comet, Dixons, PC World etc

lincsat
08-08-2003, 21:36
I have a SB4100 that I own, I pay £19.99 for the 600k service. I had to pay the full price including CM rental when I upgraded to 1 Meg, but when the Cap was introduced, I downgraded to 600k again and at the same price of £19.99 per month.

If anyone wants to buy my SB4100 for £150 cash, you are welcome to it. I will go back on 1 meg and have a free rental CM from NTL.

baldy
09-08-2003, 01:26
Originally posted by lincsat

If anyone wants to buy my SB4100 for £150 cash, you are welcome to it.

I'll give you 5 quid.