PDA

View Full Version : jam sandwiches

kronas
14-07-2004, 19:19
a 15 year old teen became so interested in eating jam sandwiches that its the only type of food he ate.

So while his family sit down to nutritious meals, he has sandwiches of white sliced bread and margarine with strawberry, raspberry or black-currant jam (without bits).

the boy also drinks more than a litre of milk per day

He supplements these with a bowl of chocolate cereal and a slice of chocolate cake every day.

he weighs in at 68.9kg a healthy weight.

However, for his long-term health, he was advised to take vitamin supplements and see a psychologist to "encourage variety in his diet".

"We believe his problem could be due to a fear of food, probably going back to when... as a baby he gagged on some lumps," a London children's hospital spokesman said.

source: news.com.au

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10096892%5E13762,00.html

so on the back of this, what is your main favorite food that you just cant get enough of ?

Graham
14-07-2004, 19:23
Marmite

(Oops, here come the "love it/ hate it" wars...!) :D

paulyoung666
14-07-2004, 19:25
bread , but not with marmite graham :fit: :fit:

have i just started the war :erm: :erm: :erm:

gary_580
14-07-2004, 19:32
Tootsie Rolls

skyblueheroes
14-07-2004, 19:34
I used to be a fussy eater as a kid, but nothing like that !

Theodoric
14-07-2004, 20:02
Marmite

(Oops, here come the "love it/ hate it" wars...!) :D
But only with cheese and, possibly, a lettuce leaf.

paulyoung666
14-07-2004, 20:08
But only with cheese and, possibly, a lettuce leaf.

no no no , not marmite and cheese , you want jam and cheese :drool: , sorry was that off topic :D :D :D

homealone
14-07-2004, 20:09
that's an extremely unhealthy diet - some reasons why in the link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3889147.stm

My weakness is for peanuts, I have cut out the salted ones, to reduce my salt intake, but munch my way through bags & bags of 'roasted monkey nuts' :erm:

Ramrod
14-07-2004, 20:15
Sausages :drool:

gary_580
14-07-2004, 20:35
Sausages :drool:

Thats Life :D

kronas
14-07-2004, 20:56
i like cheese..... :drool:

Maggy
14-07-2004, 21:08
Well I had to give my daughter nothing but cheese spread sandwiches at teatime for 3 years starting from when she was 3.

She wouldn't eat anything green(she hated all veggies and she still hasn't improved much)even herbs on the tops of pizzas.

However I didn't worry as I was just as fussy as a kid myself.I grew out of it eventually as has she(apart from eating greens).

Incog.

kronas
14-07-2004, 21:10
incog, ill eat anything nowadays, aslong as its edible and not something that grosses me out, like frogs etc :shocked: :disturbd: :sick:

Chris
14-07-2004, 21:24
Well, I saw the thread title and thought kronas' ID had been hijacked by Peachey :D

For the record, my favourite food of all time is ... errr ... hang on, so much to choose from. Mrs towny (Mrs Chris T? :erm: ) is hanging over my shoulder saying she doesn't know either so I guess there's no hope of me thinking of any one thing.

After much thought, probably chicken balti, but I wouldn't like to live on it for the rest of my life. There's too many nice things to eat. :drool:

gary_580
14-07-2004, 21:34
apart from eating greens.
Incog.

ewww greens make me :sick: anything like cabbage, brussels etc when cooked make me ill. Strange thing is i can eat them raw with no problems.

Its not a mental thing either. I've eaten stir fry's and 5 mins later :sick: and then read on the ingredients it has cabbage in it.

paulyoung666
14-07-2004, 21:36
i like cheese..... :drool:

howabout sausages with cheese in them , not as bad as it sounds :erm: , honest :D :D

kronas
14-07-2004, 21:36
i love eating sandwiches at the moment, pure salad in a teacake, or a cheese savory with mayonnaise lettuce in a baguette :drool:

homealone
14-07-2004, 22:04
i love eating sandwiches at the moment, pure salad in a teacake, or a cheese savory with mayonnaise lettuce in a baguette :drool:

try & choose wholemeal bread, not white, today I had a M&S Prawn & Mayonnaise sandwich, on granary (99p from our staff shop ;) )

kronas
14-07-2004, 22:07
try & choose wholemeal bread, not white...

yes i know why ;)

today I had a M&S Prawn & Mayonnaise sandwich, on granary (99p from our staff shop ;) )

posh git :) :D :p:

gary_580
14-07-2004, 22:10
try & choose wholemeal bread, not white, today I had a M&S Prawn & Mayonnaise sandwich, on granary (99p from our staff shop ;) )

You should try their seafood sandwich. YUMMMMMMMMMMM

ian@huth
14-07-2004, 22:11
Well, I saw the thread title and thought kronas' ID had been hijacked by Peachey :D

For the record, my favourite food of all time is ... errr ... hang on, so much to choose from. Mrs towny (Mrs Chris T? :erm: ) is hanging over my shoulder saying she doesn't know either so I guess there's no hope of me thinking of any one thing.

After much thought, probably chicken balti, but I wouldn't like to live on it for the rest of my life. There's too many nice things to eat. :drool:

When I first read this I thought that your favourite food was eating Mrs Towny. :erm:

Its a toss up with me as I have periods where I fancy one thing for a while and then can't stand it for ages. Bacon butties or marmite butties with corned beef and cheese followed by a helping of my wifes chestnut gateau.

The chestnut gateau is rather yummy, recipe below in case you want to try it.

CHESTNUT GATEAU

CAKE
4 oz plain chocolate
15.5 oz can chestnut puree
4 eggs separated
6 oz castor sugar

FILLING & DECORATION

2 level teaspoons instant coffee
1 teaspoon warm water
0.5 pint double cream
3 oz blanched almonds
crystallised violets

CAKE
1. Heat oven to gas mark 6 ; 400 F (200 C). Prepare 2 x 8â₠ sandwich tins †“ grease tins, put greased paper in the bottom of each.
2. Put chocolate to melt on a plate over hot water. Take chestnut puree from can and stir well.
3. Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy then stir in melted chocolate and chestnut puree.
4. Whisk egg whites until stiff and stir lightly into chestnut mixture.
5. Divide mixture between the prepared tins, smooth the surface and bake for 40 mins. Leave on wire rack until cold

FILLING & DECORATION
1. Dissolve the coffee in the warm water. Add to cream and whisk steadily until it just holds its shape.
2. Use half the coffee cream to sandwich the cakes together and swirl the rest over the top and sides.
3. Decorate with chopped almonds and crystallised violets.

The gateau is very moist and rather rich. It freezes well. Add the nuts and violets when completely thawed.

gary_580
14-07-2004, 22:11
howabout sausages with cheese in them , not as bad as it sounds :erm: , honest :D :D

That reminds me of eating Christmas cake with strong chedar on.

gary_580
14-07-2004, 22:13
When I first read this I thought that your favourite food was eating Mrs Towny. :erm:

:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

Maggy
14-07-2004, 22:13
I'll eat anything except cooked celery.

I really must go on a restricted food intake schedule. :(

gary_580
14-07-2004, 22:14
ewww cooked celery goes all stringy. :sick:

Maggy
14-07-2004, 22:19
ewww cooked celery goes all stringy. :sick:

Precisely!Absolutely disgusting! :(

gary_580
14-07-2004, 22:20
and slimey too

Paul K
14-07-2004, 22:27
(Snippy)
so on the back of this, what is your main favorite food that you just cant get enough of ?
Favourite food that you can't get enough of? Hmmmm, well, my choices are limited by my choice in diet. Unlike some here I eat my vegetables (no choice really LOL) but the food that I can't be without would have to be......
Quorn ;) It's a tasty alternative to meat according to one Premiership star :p:

homealone
14-07-2004, 22:31
Celery is on the list of EU 'official' allergens - claim compensation for celery thread needed - lol :D

Barbie
14-07-2004, 22:38
Favourite food that you can't get enough of? Hmmmm, well, my choices are limited by my choice in diet. Unlike some here I eat my vegetables (no choice really LOL) but the food that I can't be without would have to be......
I know someone that says that too! ;)

My favourite food??? Hmmm - my mums home made cakes! Especially ginger, or chocolate! :drool: :D

Maggy
14-07-2004, 22:39
Celery is on the list of EU 'official' allergens - claim compensation for celery thread needed - lol :D

But I like raw celery,just can't stand it cooked. :(

Dammit! Now I'm hungry.

I wonder if there is any marmite left? :Sprint:

homealone
14-07-2004, 22:39

I like quorn, too, it just takes up the flavour of what you put it into, there have been allegations of allergenic reactions, but when the alternative seems to be based on Soya (tofu), which is also on the EU list of allergens, I'll stick with quorn, for now :)

Barbie
14-07-2004, 22:41
I like quorn, too, it just takes up the flavour of what you put it into, there have been allegations of allergenic reactions, but when the alternative seems to be based on Soya (tofu), which is also on the EU list of allergens, I'll stick with quorn, for now :)
Nooo - give me steak any day! ;) with chips and mushrooms! :D

ian@huth
14-07-2004, 22:43
But I like raw celery,just can't stand it cooked. :(

Fresh raw celery with marmite drizzled down the groove. Yummeeee.

Paul K
14-07-2004, 22:45
Steak, chips and mushrooms? Well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad ;) Can't interest you in a Quorn fillet with those chips then :p:

Maggy
14-07-2004, 22:46
I lied! I hate cooked celery AND Quorn.

Dammit! Now I'm hungry again.

I wonder if there is any marmite left? :Sprint:

homealone
14-07-2004, 22:55

I like steak, too - burnt a little bit on the outside, but still pink, not bloody, in the middle, yum:)

Chips - prefer dry, crispy - otherwise size doesn't matter :erm:

Mushrooms - do not allow them to serve you tinned button mushrooms - a field/horse mushroom, pan fried in garlic butter is what you want :)

- and where are the onions & tomato's - come_on lets try & get this a 5 veg a day site :D

Chimaera
14-07-2004, 22:57
Fave food??? Hmm I like cakes too - when I can be bothered to make them!
Not really that fussy with my food - I don't like fish that much and I'm allergic to seafood! :sick:

Chimaera
14-07-2004, 23:00
I like steak, too - burnt a little bit on the outside, but still pink, not bloody, in the middle, yum:)

Chips - prefer dry, crispy - otherwise size doesn't matter :erm:

Mushrooms - do not allow them to serve you tinned button mushrooms - a field/horse mushroom, pan fried in garlic butter is what you want :)

- and where are the onions & tomato's - come_on lets try & get this a 5 veg a day site :D
Hang on - according to her profile Barbie is a student - so the chips and mushrooms are quite an achievement! 2 out of 5 isn't bad really!
I thought they all survived on Pot Noodles and cold baked beans?

kronas
14-07-2004, 23:03
My favourite food??? Hmmm - my mums home made cakes! Especially ginger, or chocolate! :drool: :D

i love chocolate cake, with cream in the middle :drool: also ginger cake :drool: its been a while since i had any........

Hang on - according to her profile Barbie is a student ?

*tentatively watches the situation ;) :naughty: :p:

Paul K
14-07-2004, 23:07
Hang on - according to her profile Barbie is a student - so the chips and mushrooms are quite an achievement! 2 out of 5 isn't bad really!
I thought they all survived on Pot Noodles and cold baked beans?
Nahh they have microwaves in the student halls these days..... warm baked beans ;)
Now where's my ginger cake recipe gone? :naughty:

Chimaera
14-07-2004, 23:08
Now why would you want to watch a blonde female student Kronie? :PP: :nono:

kronas
14-07-2004, 23:08

you can bake it ?

*wants some :drool: :D :p:

Chimaera
14-07-2004, 23:09
Nahh they have microwaves in the student halls these days..... warm baked beans ;)
Why - are you going to bake for Kronas?
(Sits back and watches for smoke)

Paul K
14-07-2004, 23:09
you can bake it ?

*wants some :drool: :D :p:
I add water to a mean chocolate cake mix ;) and I've been known to have a bit of ginger now and then :p:

kronas
14-07-2004, 23:10
Why - are you going to bake for Kronas?
(Sits back and watches for smoke)

i want him to :drool:

Now why would you want to watch a blonde female student Kronie? :PP: :nono:

blonde ?

i didnt know that, oh well what ever tickes your fancy.... the food that is ;) :erm: :D :p:

I add water to a mean chocolate cake mix ;) and I've been known to have a bit of ginger now and then :p:

how mean ? :drool:

/me wants

danielf
14-07-2004, 23:10
Seafood... Prawns, mussels, lobster, clams, scallops. Absolutely gorgeous...

gary_580
14-07-2004, 23:17

must admit i do like quorn in lasagne and spag bol. Im sure you cant tell unless someone tells you. Then you notice the mushroom texture.

Julian
14-07-2004, 23:18
Seafood... Prawns, mussels, lobster, clams, scallops. Absolutely gorgeous...

Exactly - I'm on a seafood diet at the moment.... I see food and eat it. :D

Back to the celery ( uncooked ) tho'.... smear peanut butter down the middle and yum. Alternatively stilton cheese is good too. :drool:

Peanut butter is great with alot of things... esp. cold yorkshire puddings. :drool: :drool:

Paul K
14-07-2004, 23:21
must admit i do like quorn in lasagne and spag bol. Im sure you cant tell unless someone tells you. Then you notice the mushroom texture.
You'll certainly notice if you overcook it lol
Even have a staunch carnivore eating vegetarian food now and then.. not that she admitted it at first ;)

Marge
14-07-2004, 23:35
For the 5 years I was at secondary school, every single day for dinner I had hot dog, chips and curry :erm:

Now my fave food is a Sunday dinner, chicken with all the trimmings :drool: :drool:

Maggy
14-07-2004, 23:42
One marmite and crisp sandwich later...... :)

Now what?The grapes look good and the Granny Smiths.

Why haven't we got an eating smiley? We talk about food enough to need one.

Stuart
18-07-2004, 03:10
Mind you, I have a friend who was a student (although he had finished his degree and worked for us). He often sat at his desk nibbling food. Where as most of our department go down the local Greggs and get a sandwich from there, his selection was more, shall we say, eccentric. Cold beans were among his more palatable favourites. He also ate Primula out of the tube (OK, that's not too bad), uncooked sausages, but the worst thing he ate was a cheese sandwich that had been in his desk drawer for a week (and that office was very hot).

Theodoric
18-07-2004, 10:58
<Snip>
Back to the celery ( uncooked ) tho'.... smear peanut butter down the middle and yum. Alternatively stilton cheese is good too. :drool:
<Snip>
In fact most soft (or softish) cheeses go well packed into the groove on celery. I used to use something like Philadelphia, but now that my tastes are more sophisticated I have to admit that something like stilton is preferable. :)

Graham
18-07-2004, 12:31
I used to use something like Philadelphia,

"Lovely! He he he..." ;)