PDA

View Full Version : Sky advantages

HornetUK
12-07-2004, 01:00
I currently have NTL digi TV with Sky Sports & 600k BB. Its costing me £67 a month. I do not use ther phone as every time it has been installed or fixed it goes dead after a week, so I've had it disconnected now, but obviously still pay for the line in my TV pack. To have the same line up of channels on Sky looks to be about £7 cheaper a month can anyone tell me if changing to a dish has other advantages / disadvantages besides the monthly saving?

A few things I've heard but am not sure if there true are...

The cable picture is better

Sky charge to come and fix / replace the STB

I have to have the Sky STB connected to my phone line

Thanks for any advice re. cable & sky

bb31
12-07-2004, 01:10
ive had sky for 6-7 years and never had a problem, so not had to contact them regarding the box. But I do know that if an engineer has to be called out it will involve a fee when out of warrenty. Also after the first 12 mths, you dont have to have connection to the phone line. Mines not been connected for years. But it you were wanting to have pay per view movies then you would have to connect to the phone socket.

cant comment on picture quality as i have never had cable.

MovedGoalPosts
12-07-2004, 01:21
If you aren't able to get / use the ntl freebie bundled phone line, so, no doubt are using BT, then the sky packages do look more financially worthwhile.

Picture quality on ntl cable I've always found to be good, apart from the periodic freeze frames. I'd expect Sky can get those too. My Mum uses Sky satelite, and I've never noticed the pricture being especially bad.

I suspect it'll come down to choice and cost. Personnaly I think Sky have the edge on choice of channels, better interactive (provided you can bear the phone costs), and with ideas like sky+. can beat the pants of ntl. Ntl though if you want a complete phone /TV / broadband package might financially still edge it.

I doubt theres a lot in it.

ntlrocks
12-07-2004, 01:34
you could always say to ntl

"im thinking of going to sky"

and they will entice you with half price broadband and a free family pack.

Charlie_Bubble
12-07-2004, 01:59
you could always say to ntl

"im thinking of going to sky"

and they will entice you with half price broadband and a free family pack.

Probably won't. When I finished with NTL I told them this and they weren't particularly bothered.

Neil
12-07-2004, 08:00
A few things I've heard but am not sure if there true are...
The cable picture is better

Wasn't in my case.

Sky charge to come and fix / replace the STB
Not in the 1st year they don't.

I have to have the Sky STB connected to my phone line.
No you don't-mine isn't, & I don't know anyone that is.

Thanks for any advice re. cable & sky[/QUOTE]

No worries. :)

Electrolyte01
12-07-2004, 09:38
My parents have had sky for YEARS, starting from the first system that had the 2 boxes, 1 for the channels and 1 just to decode the signle from the dish. Never got a problem with it, now we have Sky+, record shows to watch them again etc. Picture quality is superb, it's like watching a DVD. You can also get Dolby Digital 5.1 on most programs and movies if you get Sky+ :D

gary_580
12-07-2004, 09:49
Wasn't in my case.

Not in the 1st year they don't.

It was mentioned AFTER the warranty ran out

No you don't-mine isn't, & I don't know anyone that is.

How does your interactive work then?

Neil
12-07-2004, 10:25
It was mentioned AFTER the warranty ran out
I'm not really sure what you are referring to there, sorry Gary. :confused:

How does your interactive work then?
By pressing the red button-the only things I can't do are things that cost money (like vote on Sky News for example)

The rest of the interactive works perfectly without being connected to a phone line as it uses the satellite feeds to send/receive the data.

skyblueheroes
12-07-2004, 10:30
I'm not really sure what you are referring to there, sorry Gary. :confused:

By pressing the red button-the only things I can't do are things that cost money (like vote on Sky News for example)

The rest of the interactive works perfectly without being connected to a phone line as it uses the satellite feeds to send/receive the data.

I thought I read somewhere that Sky checks its connected by sending a signal down the line for the card to verify ? Is this a myth ?

Neil
12-07-2004, 10:33
I thought I read somewhere that Sky checks its connected by sending a signal down the line for the card to verify ? Is this a myth ?

It would appear to be, as I don't know anyone that has their phone line connected to their Sky box. :shrug:

dilli-theclaw
12-07-2004, 10:34
It would appear to be, as Idon't know anyone that has their phone line connected to their Sky box. :shrug:
I think I only had my phone line connected to the box for about a month.

Neil
12-07-2004, 10:38
I think I only had my phone line connected to the box for about a month.

Mine was for as long as the Sky installer was in the house! :D

dilli-theclaw
12-07-2004, 10:43
Mine was for as long as the Sky installer was in the house! :D
I only unplugged mine 'cos it was dialling out at odd hours.:(

Still - They've never asked me or anything like that :)

Derek
12-07-2004, 11:00
It's part of the contract you sign to get reduced/free install that you have to have the box connected to a working line for the first 12 months.

Over on digitalspy there have been some forum posts about Sky sending letters demanding payment for installation if the line is not connected up.

Electrolyte01
12-07-2004, 11:28
We always have our phone line plugged in :erm:

Paul
12-07-2004, 15:07
It would appear to be, as I don't know anyone that has their phone line connected to their Sky box. :shrug:

It's not a myth, they do occasionally check (by getting the box to phone home I believe).

My parents got a letter pointing out that their box did not appear to be connected.

etccarmageddon
15-07-2004, 09:11
I think it dials back to the sky mothership to send back details of any pay per view movies etc you have purchased.