PDA

View Full Version : Job Agencies

Escapee
10-07-2004, 12:48
Love them or hate them sometimes they take the biscuit!

I had a call on my mobile last night when I got in from work, it was private withheld so I thought another job agency as they seem to be getting busy.

The guy said "How would you like to work for XYZ" I said "Look here I have been phoned by countless agencies about this company, submitted my CV to them and been told that it has been passed on about a dozen times over the last couple of years, and I was keen to get my foot in the door"

The guy said " Thats very strange"
I said "Why"
He Said" I am the HR manager for XYZ and your cv has never been submitted to us, you are not on our database and all cv's are kept"

I them told him of my current job where a similar thing happened, I applied for the job on 3 occassions and was third time lucky for an interview. I was asked at the interview why I hadn't applied before! I told them and they were amazed as they had been trying to fill the position for over 6 months.
The real twist is the present company has signed an exclusive deal with an agency (C******r F*****s) and they are about as usefull as a boil on the backside, the people they send are totally unsuitable a one person we recently took on fortunately applied direct because he was rightly suspicious that his cv never reached us.

Anyway back to the main issue, the HR manager said he was fed up with the standard of people the agencies were sending as they were unsuitable. He said he looked at my cv on GoJobsite and I looked ideal for the position (6 available) and said as long as we hit it off theres a job available for you.
I explained that I was not really that keen on the position as it involved a lot of overseas travel, he then said I have other opportunities and would like to interview you generally to look at your suitability for them.

Result = Interview Wednesday morning, It can only result in half a days wasted holiday at the most.

bopdude
10-07-2004, 13:08
Result = Interview Wednesday morning, It can only result in half a days wasted holiday at the most.
Yeah, go for it, as you say nothing to lose, a company I used to work for used to get 'skilled' labour from agencies and although some were very good \ good at their job a lot were complete muppets and should not be left to cross a road alone, never mind bury their heads in a mains board :Yikes:

skyblueheroes
10-07-2004, 13:45
Agencies are terrible, and more than often push labour prices up where its not needed.

Ramrod
10-07-2004, 13:46
I find the commercial property agencies are the same. You give them your exact requirements and then they either never send you any property details ever......or they send you any old completely unsuitable properties :confused:

Escapee
10-07-2004, 13:55
Agencies are terrible, and more than often push labour prices up where its not needed.

I guess that depends on your point of view and what angle you are looking from.

I am interested in permanent positions, but I agree agencies and people working for them were getting lottery figures a few years ago in the telecoms industry. I was always against it because you could end up with someone working alongside you earning 3 - 4 times as much and not being as skilled as yourself.

I made the mistake when the big money was available, along with many others I showed too much loyalty to my employer only to be treated badly after most of the well paid jobs dried up.

I think temporary contractors are a good idea when a job has two things.

1 = A start
2 = A finish

I dont agree with contractors being taken on ad-hoc to carry out a task that is on-going and able to be filled by a permanent person.

Graham
10-07-2004, 15:09
I find the commercial property agencies are the same. You give them your exact requirements and then they either never send you any property details ever......or they send you any old completely unsuitable properties :confused:

Tell me about it! I've registered with a bunch of estate agents because I'm looking for a three bedroomed, end of terrace property.

Simple enough, yes? Three bedrooms, yes? End of terrace, yes?

So *WHY* the bloody hell do I keep getting sent details of two bedroomed mid-terrace properties and four bedroom town houses?!?!

:rant:

Sorry :notopic:

Escapee
10-07-2004, 15:18
Tell me about it! I've registered with a bunch of estate agents because I'm looking for a three bedroomed, end of terrace property.

Simple enough, yes? Three bedrooms, yes? End of terrace, yes?

So *WHY* the bloody hell do I keep getting sent details of two bedroomed mid-terrace properties and four bedroom town houses?!?!

:rant:

Sorry :notopic:

Sounds like my experience a couple of years ago with the jobcentre!

They looked at my CV and gave me a job to apply for, it was project managing the dismantling of a nuclear power station! I asked if they thought I had the required skills and they said "well, looking at your cv it could be said you have experience of project management" :Yikes:

Graham
12-07-2004, 20:02
They looked at my CV and gave me a job to apply for, it was project managing the dismantling of a nuclear power station! I asked if they thought I had the required skills and they said "well, looking at your cv it could be said you have experience of project management" :Yikes:

I know of a guy who worked at a major chemical laboratory as a senior manager/ project director. When he was made redundant he decided to go to the local job centre to see if they could help him.

He handed them his CV, they glanced at it and put down his occupation as "Lab Technician"!!! :eek:

Russ
12-07-2004, 20:12
Employment agencies are IMO the bane of modern living. When you make initial enquiries it's always "Yeah, we've loads of jobs available, sign up with us!" but as soon as you're in, you don't hear from them. It's also "Yes, I'll put you forward for that job" and that'll be the last you'll hear about it.....

I'd advice anyone to steer well clear of agencies.

kronas
12-07-2004, 20:15
I'd advice anyone to steer well clear of agencies.

not always russ, i found my job online, it was through an agency, and i did get call backs when stated, even after i was employed to see how i was getting on.