PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] ntl & P2P

andeh
09-07-2004, 00:19
Hi everyone this is my first post here :)

Read a few threads with regards to p2p apps and STB boxes. I have a Pace STB with the 600k package, and as expected as soon as I use eMule for example the connection drops shortly after. Is there any way of resolving this without changing the box? i've tried lower number of connections and throtling the connection but it still drops the connection.

Will NTL install a seperate cable modem if i ask them, or will they charge me? After all its the box that can't handle the connections?

Regards,

Andy

scrotnig
09-07-2004, 00:25
Welcome to Cableforum!

Whether they would do you a free cable modem seems to vary region to region.

I will normally do them if there's a good case for it, however it's important to realise they are not a magic cure...sometimes a customer gets one fitted, but the problem doesn't go away.

In many regions swapping to cable modems 'electively' (ie when there's no actual fault) can mean a new 12 month contract as well.

The tech support guys will also normally advise that quality of p2p connections can't be guaranteed, etc. Not saying I agree with that, but that's the 'official line'.

My personal opinion is that, if everything else you do on the net is working fine, changing to cable modem is unlikely to make much difference.

andeh
09-07-2004, 23:50
It is frustrating as the scenario is, i lived in huddersfield were we had a the stand alone cable modem, using eMule p2p fine, ive now moved to manchester so my PC configuration has not altered only now the connection is through an STB same 600k package so surely its the box or the connection here thats at fault?

Neil
09-07-2004, 23:54
What's probably happening is that you are saturating your upstream bandwidth, & this is causing the box to lock.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html#edonkey may well help, but I suspect that a SACM would be the answer. :)

:welcome: to the site. :tu:

TimBlair
10-07-2004, 00:07
Hi All,
For the last month or so when ever i use a P2P or Torrent client my computer locks within 5-10 minââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s and mostly needs hard resetting to get going again. This seems to be caused by ALL programs with net access freezing. I've tried a total reinstall on a new HD and using the same software on other PC's, (with NTL cable and other ADSL ISP's).

The problem is just with NTL and P2P/Torrent. The only time Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve had something similar is when online gaming and being attacked buy PING flooding/buffer overflow/ DOS kind of attacks.

So can anyone please tell me what is going on?

Is this some new secret policy to cap usage?

Any suggestions for an ISP that respects its customers?

ThanX Tim

Neil
10-07-2004, 00:24
Hi Tim. :)

Tell us a bit more about your PC's setup, & we'll try to help you.

ntl don't close P2P ports-are you using a router/cable modem/set top box?

Help us to help you. :tu:

Tezcatlipoca
10-07-2004, 00:40
andeh & Tim - :welcome:

You may also find these threads of interest:

"Strange issue with edonkey & ntl?" (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13580)

"NTL & BitTorrent" (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=4953)

TimBlair
10-07-2004, 02:11
Thanx for your replies,
I'm using XP pro fully patched, new install, new disk 120gig. 1gig ram, AMD barton @2.2GHz, netgear 310 lan dirrect to STB. in all other respects my PC is totaly stable, online/offline gaming/music production/internet no problems.

BUT
Both with/without MS & ZA firewalls.
Through new Samsung STB (pace 2000/4000 also checked)
using emule, emule+ , edonkey, Kazzaa, K++lite, Bittorrent, shaddow BT, ABC, Azureus.
wether Throtling connections and/or speed (both ways).
Result is always the same. within 10 min's all prog's with net access lock, somtimes free up after about 5 mins, often needs a hard reset.

Used to work great 1st time with all P2P/Torrent, Now works with none properly. even with any/all tweaks settings sugested. I really think NTL is up to somthing here.

Stop It
10-07-2004, 11:36
No, NTL are NOT up to something here, its an issue invloving certain STBS (and routers) not liking over a certain amount of upstream connections at once (correct me if im wrong...) You can cap the upload to try to help the issue, and a SACM usually is a final solution, but I say again, this isnt a conpiracy by NTL to kill p2p, honest :)

TimBlair
10-07-2004, 13:03
Thing is,

It used to work great with no tweaking/throttling,

It makes no difference if I now tweak/throttle,

Or change STB,

Or software...

I've spent over a month trying various way to fix it, even going so far as a total reinstall on a brand new drive just in case Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d picked up a new worm/virus. So I'm 99% sure it's down to NTL changing something. And with the result throttling speed/use, I'm sure you can see why I'm suspicious.

Womble
10-07-2004, 13:16
Thing is,

It used to work great with no tweaking/throttling,

It makes no difference if I now tweak/throttle,

Or change STB,

Or software...

I've spent over a month trying various way to fix it, even going so far as a total reinstall on a brand new drive just in case Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d picked up a new worm/virus. So I'm 99% sure it's down to NTL changing something. And with the result throttling speed/use, I'm sure you can see why I'm suspicious.

I have a Samsung with 1meg. I use the G3 BT client and e-mule with no problems at all.
There is a known problem with the 4000 pace boxes and uploading timing out

andeh
10-07-2004, 13:40
yup thanks for the info guys, trying eMule now capping upload to 7k/sec, we will see what happens

TimBlair
10-07-2004, 13:51
I have a Samsung with 1meg. I use the G3 BT client and e-mule with no problems at all.
There is a known problem with the 4000 pace boxes and uploading timing out
I also have Samsung STB on 600k (tried different speeds, P2000/4000 boxes). Could it be a regional thing then?

I'm in Peterborough, CAMB'S

sherer
10-07-2004, 15:49
i've got a similar problem as well. am going to get tech support to look into it next week when i'm off work.. doesn't seem much we can do till NTL get better STBs from what i can gather

scrotnig
10-07-2004, 16:05
Andeh, as you're in Manchester and that's part of my stamping ground, if you really feel a cable modem will help matters then I can organise one for you.

I am not in next week so it would have to be week commencing 19th July before I could sort anything, but I'd be happy to do it.

andeh
10-07-2004, 23:05
Hi mark, thanks for the reply! I have a cable modem that I was using in Huddersfield.. a NTL Home 120.

We have 2 STBs here, 1 downstairs which has the broadband enabled, and one for seperate viewing upstairs? Can you setup the NTL Home 120 CM?

I'm away on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks but any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

longie
11-08-2004, 09:26
Hi all,

Great forum ! v useful !

I have been using BB NTL 150K for ages. However I have just started using overnet/edonkey P2P and the connection keeps dropping and the only solution is to reset the STB (digi TV box).

I am connecting the STB directly to my PC via ethernet cable (not via a router). I have configured overnet for the 150k BB speed, however it keeps crashing. The digital TV however is still functioning properly.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

SOSAGES
11-08-2004, 15:13
So u set it for 15k down 10k up ? - whats ur max connections?

have u tried emule yet?

Tezcatlipoca
11-08-2004, 21:56
:welcome: longie :)

It could be that your STB doesn't like the number of connections being made when you use Overnet/EDonkey.

The upload setting in the P2P software shouldn't be set to your actual upload speed, as you'll saturate the upstream & cause connection problems.

Try capping the upload in Overnet/EDonkey. [Have a look at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html & particularly http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html#edonkey for more]

Also worth reading this thread through from the start (as your post has been merged with it).

:)

BIGZIPZ
11-08-2004, 22:32
Zone Alarm 5.* causes alot of problems for p2p users - check the zone labs forum for the past few months and see what I mean (General Section)